Start by marking “Bears” as Want to Read:

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  165 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
With just 27 words, the inimitable Ruth Krauss created a charming little universe.

Now Maurice Sendak has turned her bears into a troupe of players in a slapstick comedy starring a familiar boy in a wolf suit.
Published May 24th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bears

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakAlligators All Around by Maurice SendakChicken Soup with Rice by Maurice SendakWe Are All in the Dumps with Jack and Guy by Maurice Sendak
Best of Maurice Sendak
15th out of 100 books — 5 voters
A Very Special House by Ruth KraussThe Happy Day by Ruth KraussI Can Fly by Ruth KraussA Hole is to Dig by Ruth KraussThe Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss
Best of Ruth Krauss
9th out of 45 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianna
Apr 09, 2010 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My baby quite enjoyed this book; it was a bit too young for my three-year-old. The text is very short, which makes it great for young, page-turning children. Fans of Where the Wild Things Are will want to check out the edition illustrated by Maurice Sendak; they will probably recognize their pal Max.
Rosa Cline
Nov 20, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids, mine-read
The reason for the very very low rating was when we got this book from the library and got it home I opened it up and the illustration you first see is a teddybear with a noose around his neck being hung, with a little boy holding his dog he has a frown on his face but the dog has a smile on his. Some people would find humor in that but personally I DONT. I don't think those types of imagines should be for young children. And this book would have been written for young readers since it's mostly ...more
Dominick
Jan 01, 2014 Dominick rated it really liked it
Originally published in 1948, this 2005 edition has illustrations by Maurice Sendak rather than the original art. The text is extremely simple--this is a book for toddlers, basically--consisting merely of a series of rhymes for "bears" as the eponymous creatures appear in various places (under chairs, on stairs, "everywheres" etc), but with no narrative on the verbal level. Where there is a narrative is in the pictures, in which Sendak gives us a story of Max (yes, that max, from Where the Wild ...more
Leslie Brevard
Nov 06, 2009 Leslie Brevard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb-same-artist
Same Artist
4 stars
Pre-K- Kindergarten
Sendak uses the same little boy character in this book as his Where the Wild Things Are this seems like an idea used by the author to distinguish which drawings are theirs. The end pages are covered with bears and flowers in both the front and the back. The colors are very dull but it helps the children to concentrate on all the bears. Krauss uses interesting text in this book she rhymes everything with bears there are no actual sentences in book just ph
Abril G. Karera
Mar 16, 2016 Abril G. Karera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mí no me terminó de gustar la primera vez que lo leí, pero al trabajarlo con niños de entre 4 y 7 años, quedaron fascinados. Hay osos de todo tipo, irreverentes en su mayoría, que divirtieron a los más pequeños sobre manera. Así que supongo que esta historia tiene su encanto. En las relecturas pude apreciar otros detalles y hasta otras interpretaciones. Sin duda, un libro muy interesante.
Amber the Human
Mar 18, 2015 Amber the Human rated it liked it
Why is there a picture of a noose in a children's book? Because it's illustrated by Maurice Sendak and Maurice was not your everyday children's book illustrator. The rest of the book? Okay. I've never read any Krauss before, at least as far as I know. Might continue and finish the one's that Sendak illustrated.
Gary
Feb 01, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it
Comedic picture book. Max, from Where The Wild Things fame, is our main character. He chases his jealous dog down as it snatched his teddy bear away. Charming.
Naomi
Jun 11, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
Let's face it, it isn't the words that make this book, it is the fact that Maurice Sendak did the illustrations...and it shows.
Lindsey
Dec 11, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-books
Dull and disturbing drawing of a teddy bear in a noose.
Tracy Morton
Jun 12, 2014 Tracy Morton rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For the very young. Every last word rhymes.
Jeanette
My son immediately noticed Max in this book but neither of the kids really got into the book. It is cute but I think they are maybe a little too old for it. Perhaps the baby will enjoy it one day soon.
I actually own an old copy of this with illustrations by Phyllis Rowand and it is a toss up as to which one I prefer. Sendak's version is more colorful with a lot going on in the illustrations but I also enjoy Rowand's more simple illustrations.
Ashley Stone
This book didn’t really seem to have a purpose other than having a ton of situations that bears would obviously never be put into. Even though this one wasn’t one of my favorites, I think it would still be good for a parent or caregiver to read to a toddler. It might get some good laughs out of someone young enough to think the pictures are funny. A possible theme could be something that goes along with vocabulary.
Liesel
May 27, 2014 Liesel rated it liked it
Age range: 4-7
Literacy skill: Narrative skills

This book has great illustrations by Maurice Sendak and a fun story told in few words by Ruth Krauss. The text might be a bit frustrating for some kids who are ready to read on their own because, although the words are age-appropriate, they are printed in some parts in cursive.
Karen
I used to do an action-rhyme version of this in storytimes. It's a nonsense rhyme, but very fun, especially to act out. Sendak's illustratons - featuring Max - are charming, and the dog making away with Max's bear gives the little listener something to watch for in each spread. Light but classic.
Peacegal
Surrealist Krauss paired with Sendak's subversion--great! Max of Where the Wild Things Are stars. I loved the fact that Max's dog, who is jealous of the attention Max gives his teddy bear, hangs Teddy from a noose.
Kifflie
Sep 28, 2012 Kifflie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A dog has stolen Max's bear! (Yes, THAT Max). And our favorite boy in a wolf suit gives chase through a crowd of bears (who reminded me of Wild Things) in this fun collaboration between Ruth Krauss and Maurice Sendak.
Hajnal
Dec 28, 2011 Hajnal rated it really liked it
A familiar-looking character similar to Max reappears in this rhyming book illustrated by Maurice Sendak. With only 27 words repeated, it's a good book for early readers or for a quick bedtime story.
Kerry
Sep 21, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it
Hmmm...how many words can she rhyme with the word "bears"? Not too much thought to this one, but cute. The one I own has the illustrations done by Phyllis Rowand.
TwoDrinks
This book is better for children who can speak. Sendak's illustrations are lovely and I enjoyed the economical use of repetitive language.
Lucia Benzor
Sep 04, 2010 Lucia Benzor rated it liked it
Shelves: creative, children-s
Very different from other books I read. Not many words but the pictures say it all. For kids that like Where the wild things are.
Mckinley
Jan 24, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, poetry, bear
Sometimes I don't like his illustrations all that much. Here it's boarderline. 'Story' is fine - short, rhyming stuff about bears.
Linda Lipko
Jan 14, 2014 Linda Lipko rated it it was ok
This is a cute book of rhymes of the shenanigans of bears. Max from Where the Wild Things pops in and out of the book.
Jeanette
This edition is illustrated by Phyllis Rowand. There is also an updated version with illustrations by Maurice Sendak.
Ashley Wesner
Aug 28, 2013 Ashley Wesner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love the classic Maurice Sendak books. Bears are everywhere and do everything in this comic little gem.
Sharper1
Mar 08, 2012 Sharper1 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
I don't love it, but it leads into my song well. Kids may like it more than I do.
Lisa
Mar 20, 2011 Lisa rated it did not like it
I didn't like the illustrations, the rhymes, and of course- no storyline. Boring.
Gail
Oct 12, 2009 Gail rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
This held no interest for my two year old, and I didn't like the pictures.
Patricia
May 12, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outra das maravillas de Sendak, esta vez cun texto de Krauss
Sophie Brookover
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • The Three Bears Board Book
  • The Day the Goose Got Loose
  • Brundibar
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • Froggy's Baby Sister