Start by marking “Bears” as Want to Read:

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  28 reviews
With just 27 words, the inimitable Ruth Krauss created a charming little universe.

Now Maurice Sendak has turned her bears into a troupe of players in a slapstick comedy starring a familiar boy in a wolf suit.
Published May 24th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bears

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Books for a Baby Shower!
231st out of 337 books — 288 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownDeclan Grows Up by C. Austin LeeMr. Zidderdeedee by Diane Page
Picture Books for the Sensitive Child
98th out of 216 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianna
My baby quite enjoyed this book; it was a bit too young for my three-year-old. The text is very short, which makes it great for young, page-turning children. Fans of Where the Wild Things Are will want to check out the edition illustrated by Maurice Sendak; they will probably recognize their pal Max.
Rosa Cline
The reason for the very very low rating was when we got this book from the library and got it home I opened it up and the illustration you first see is a teddybear with a noose around his neck being hung, with a little boy holding his dog he has a frown on his face but the dog has a smile on his. Some people would find humor in that but personally I DONT. I don't think those types of imagines should be for young children. And this book would have been written for young readers since it's mostly ...more
Dominick
Originally published in 1948, this 2005 edition has illustrations by Maurice Sendak rather than the original art. The text is extremely simple--this is a book for toddlers, basically--consisting merely of a series of rhymes for "bears" as the eponymous creatures appear in various places (under chairs, on stairs, "everywheres" etc), but with no narrative on the verbal level. Where there is a narrative is in the pictures, in which Sendak gives us a story of Max (yes, that max, from Where the Wild ...more
Leslie Brevard
Same Artist
4 stars
Pre-K- Kindergarten
Sendak uses the same little boy character in this book as his Where the Wild Things Are this seems like an idea used by the author to distinguish which drawings are theirs. The end pages are covered with bears and flowers in both the front and the back. The colors are very dull but it helps the children to concentrate on all the bears. Krauss uses interesting text in this book she rhymes everything with bears there are no actual sentences in book just ph
Amber the Human
Why is there a picture of a noose in a children's book? Because it's illustrated by Maurice Sendak and Maurice was not your everyday children's book illustrator. The rest of the book? Okay. I've never read any Krauss before, at least as far as I know. Might continue and finish the one's that Sendak illustrated.
Naomi
Let's face it, it isn't the words that make this book, it is the fact that Maurice Sendak did the illustrations...and it shows.
Tracy Morton
For the very young. Every last word rhymes.
Jeanette
My son immediately noticed Max in this book but neither of the kids really got into the book. It is cute but I think they are maybe a little too old for it. Perhaps the baby will enjoy it one day soon.
I actually own an old copy of this with illustrations by Phyllis Rowand and it is a toss up as to which one I prefer. Sendak's version is more colorful with a lot going on in the illustrations but I also enjoy Rowand's more simple illustrations.
Ashley Stone
This book didn’t really seem to have a purpose other than having a ton of situations that bears would obviously never be put into. Even though this one wasn’t one of my favorites, I think it would still be good for a parent or caregiver to read to a toddler. It might get some good laughs out of someone young enough to think the pictures are funny. A possible theme could be something that goes along with vocabulary.
Crossingbird
Age range: 4-7
Literacy skill: Narrative skills

This book has great illustrations by Maurice Sendak and a fun story told in few words by Ruth Krauss. The text might be a bit frustrating for some kids who are ready to read on their own because, although the words are age-appropriate, they are printed in some parts in cursive.
Karen
I used to do an action-rhyme version of this in storytimes. It's a nonsense rhyme, but very fun, especially to act out. Sendak's illustratons - featuring Max - are charming, and the dog making away with Max's bear gives the little listener something to watch for in each spread. Light but classic.
Peacegal
Surrealist Krauss paired with Sendak's subversion--great! Max of Where the Wild Things Are stars. I loved the fact that Max's dog, who is jealous of the attention Max gives his teddy bear, hangs Teddy from a noose.
Kifflie
A dog has stolen Max's bear! (Yes, THAT Max). And our favorite boy in a wolf suit gives chase through a crowd of bears (who reminded me of Wild Things) in this fun collaboration between Ruth Krauss and Maurice Sendak.
Hajnal
A familiar-looking character similar to Max reappears in this rhyming book illustrated by Maurice Sendak. With only 27 words repeated, it's a good book for early readers or for a quick bedtime story.
Kerry
Hmmm...how many words can she rhyme with the word "bears"? Not too much thought to this one, but cute. The one I own has the illustrations done by Phyllis Rowand.
TwoDrinks
This book is better for children who can speak. Sendak's illustrations are lovely and I enjoyed the economical use of repetitive language.
Lucia Benzor
Very different from other books I read. Not many words but the pictures say it all. For kids that like Where the wild things are.
Mckinley
Sometimes I don't like his illustrations all that much. Here it's boarderline. 'Story' is fine - short, rhyming stuff about bears.
Linda Lipko
This is a cute book of rhymes of the shenanigans of bears. Max from Where the Wild Things pops in and out of the book.
Jeanette
This edition is illustrated by Phyllis Rowand. There is also an updated version with illustrations by Maurice Sendak.
Ashley Wesner
Love the classic Maurice Sendak books. Bears are everywhere and do everything in this comic little gem.
Sharper1
I don't love it, but it leads into my song well. Kids may like it more than I do.
Lisa
I didn't like the illustrations, the rhymes, and of course- no storyline. Boring.
Gail
This held no interest for my two year old, and I didn't like the pictures.
Sophie Brookover
  • The Three Bears Board Book
  • The Bear in the Book
  • Willy the Dreamer
  • The Odd One Out
The Carrot Seed A Hole is to Dig I Can Fly A Very Special House Open House for Butterflies