Start by marking “The Coniston Case” as Want to Read:
The Coniston Case

The Coniston Case (Persimmon Brown #3)

“Rich in psychological insight . . . Tope is particularly skilled in creating interesting and unique characters.” – Deadly Pleasures

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and business at Persimmon “Simmy” Brown’s flower shop is booming. But when Simmy fulfills a string of anonymous delivery orders, she is startled to realize that each contains a secretly menacing message fo
Published July 24th 2014 by Allison & Busby (first published July 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Coniston Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coniston Case

The Crime Scene Scene
The Coniston Case is the third novel in the Lake District Mysteries series by author Rebbeca Tope. Persimmon Brown's flower shop is doing good business but when she receives a series of anonymous orders for flowers with messages that cause their recipients distress she believes something more sinister is going on. Especially when one of the recipients turns up dead and another is soon murdered. As she investigates she soon gets caught up in a web of intrigue and blackmail.

This was a cozy mystery
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Sep 21, 2016 Wall-to-wall books - wendy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one! This book was a true "cozy mystery" through and through. There was a very good, involved mystery that kept me guessing all the way with a few spider webby sub-plots, but it never got confusing to me (and I get easily confused). It just added more to the story. There were also a lot of characters which amazingly I managed to keep straight through the whole book! I attribute this to the author's great writing and excellent character development.

Excellent detailed descrip
Joan
Sep 05, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this delightful British cozy mystery. It is part of a series but the previous novel does not have to be read to thoroughly enjoy this one.

Simmy (Persimmon) Brown owns a florist shop in the Lake District. Valentine's Day is soon and the shop is busy. Before she realizes the significance, there have been several anonymous orders, paid with cash. Simmy makes the deliveries but receives some strange receptions. The anonymous floral displays are not well received at all. Then one of the rec
Grey853
Sep 04, 2015 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Cheryl
Nov 12, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
4 Star

This is the first I have read the work of this author and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though it is the 2nd in the series, it was easily read as a stand alone. However, there were teasings from the 1st in the series, which definitely put it on my TBR list. I enjoyed it so much that I am anxiously waiting for the next installment, THE TROUTBECK TESTIMONY.

Persimmon "Simmy" Brown, a florist in the English countryside, finds herself in yet another murder mystery.

She receives floral orders, from
Dave Taylor
Nov 05, 2016 Dave Taylor rated it liked it
Read this and other books from Rebecca Tope if you like easy reading 'crime' yarns.
There is a lot of 'scenery' for your money in these 'thrillers' the author obviously has a depth of knowledge about the area or has done very extensive research to be able to write as if she has lived there. All of which pads out a decent enough tale of murder/conspiracy.
It was intriguing enough to keep the pages turning at a reasonable pace and the story had just enough drama and bite, without all the excess vio
Anne
Nov 12, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first two Lake District Mysteries and was pleased to find a third appear, but I was a bit disappointed in this one. I thought that the plot was a little weak and the characters a bit less convincing. It was nice to learn more about the mysterious police inspector's personal life though. I do hope there will be more in this series.
Kathleen
Aug 29, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A British cozy! I liked the Lake District details and Simmy is the classic amateur sleuth. Parts of this dragged a bit and I think I was missing some of the references as I had not read the early books in the series but on balance it's a relaxing read, Thanks to Edelweiss for the ARC.
Vogon
Jul 20, 2016 Vogon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a good read. It all got a little confusing at the end and i struggled to find the motivation for the crime realistic. This is the first in the Simmy Brown series that I have read, having read a few of the Cotswold Mystery series in the past. It was an enjoyable cozy mystery.
JenniferB
Jun 26, 2016 JenniferB rated it liked it
Lake district series. Bit complex plot to follow, lot of characters. Not her best but sometimes enjoyable.
Mary
Mar 31, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Good story, but felt Simmy's actions at the end were over the top, but It was in her character to act rashly with no thought of safety.
Harper20
I seem to have gotten fed up with the Thea series but I'm enjoying this new series of books set in the Lakes
Stephen Coleman
A good plot and all the more enjoyable given the knowledge of the setting / surroundings.

I did wonder if the eagerness to set another book in The Lakes had lost the focus on the plot and writing.
Maggi Young
Maggi Young rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Gabriele
Gabriele rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Jan Huntington
Jan Huntington rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
mary welch
mary welch rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
May 29, 2016
Lyn Thong
Lyn Thong rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
Pat Stearman
Jun 22, 2015 Pat Stearman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad to reach the current end of this series. Might read her Cotswold ones too....
Kelly Herron
Kelly Herron rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Mr David J Edwards
Mr David J Edwards rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Susan Miller
Susan Miller rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was ok
May 22, 2016
Anne Paul
Anne Paul rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Theo
Theo rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Kelly Herron
Kelly Herron rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Neti
Neti rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rebecca Tope grew up on a farm and has held a wide variety of jobs, such as pre-natal instructor, marriage counselor, and funeral director, all of which have taught her a great deal about human nature. In 1992, she founded Praxis Books, a small British press.
More about Rebecca Tope...

Persimmon Brown (4 books)
  • The Windermere Witness (Persimmon Brown, #1)
  • The Ambleside Alibi (Persimmon Brown, #2)
  • The Troutbeck Testimony (The Lake District Mysteries)