Start by marking “Collector of Secrets” as Want to Read:

Collector of Secrets

A riveting debut thriller with the twists and turns of “North by Northwest” and The Firm about an American in Japan who comes upon a mysterious decades-old diary, and ends up caught in a web of global espionage he cannot possibly fathom.

Max Travers is an English teacher in Japan. When his manipulative boss begins swindling the unsuspecting parents of his students, Max must
Published August 11th 2015 by Polis Books (first published May 12th 2015)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jul 12, 2016
    Get ready for the ride!

Intelligent, engrossing and as fast as a bullet train!

Enter for a chance to win a copy of 'Collector of Secrets' by Richard Goo

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 3 copies available, 498 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 01 - Dec 09, 2016

Countries available: US, CA, and GB more

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Collector of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collector of Secrets

Glenn Davis
    Aug 06, 2015 Glenn Davis rated it it was amazing
    I’m not a big thriller reader, but I love Japan and made a rare buy…it was worth it. This book hooks you early, taking you on a fast historic ride around Japan. Great sites and characters with a pace that had me through it quickly. A little bit of gangster, a little romance, and a lot of fun! Can’t wait until the obvious followup. Well done, Mr. Goodfellow!
    Susan
    Aug 02, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
    Found this book to be fantastic. It kept me reading and really enjoyed learning some information about another culture.

Can not wait for the next book.

Will recommend to my friends.
    Eric
    Oct 20, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A novel that transports you

This is what I look for in a good novel. Though the intensity of the action takes place over a short period, the story is rooted in the past and clearly the author has researched his subject matter well. The book is both a great read and an education about modern day Japan and the history that brought it up to present day. The characters are so very well developed and I clearly understood their motivations in the context of this thriller. Looking forward to the next in
    Bo
    May 06, 2016 Bo rated it it was amazing
    As an avid reader of mystery/adventure books I was amazed and pleased with the depth of this author's first novel. His personal experience, briefly living in Japan, made the story context so vivid, and the story line, intertwined with authentic, makes it 'present day' real. I was always torn between wanting to continue reading from one suspense-filled chapter to the next and, at the same time, not wanting the book to come to an end.

This would make a great action movie!
    Stephanie Foust
    Nov 10, 2015 Stephanie Foust rated it liked it
    Enjoyable suspense with an interesting look at Japan and their history of conquest.the tie-in with the assassination of JFK was not believable and the novel would have been better without this allegation.Still a very good effort for first novel.
    Brucie
    Nov 29, 2015 Brucie rated it liked it
    This story touches all the bases and completes this episode of the hero's journey but made its secret and fantastic world seem real. Of course the author felt he had to do it once, but writing novels is not his life's only ambition.
    Kate
    Apr 20, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
    Interesting mystery/thriller that includes a lot of history about Japan-which was quite interesting to me. It was pretty fast paced (could have been edited down a bit) and got a bit movie twist-ish/conspiracy type thing near the end, but it kept things moving. Overall, a good read.
    Scott Stubbs
    Aug 02, 2015 Scott Stubbs rated it it was amazing
    I really enjoyed this book. It kept me interested all the way through and left me wanting more. I have recommended this book to many of my friends. I hope to see more from this author.
    Sandra
    Oct 28, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing
    Took this book on vacation. Found it to be absorbing and exciting. Would recommend taking it on a trip!
    *****
    Sep 21, 2015 ***** rated it it was amazing
    I love a good thriller,fast moving and gripping with a little romance and I love Japan. Great hook, pace and looking forward to the next installment. Thoroughly enjoyed it
    Gdenver
    Aug 02, 2015 Gdenver rated it it was amazing
    Pulled me in right away with good pacing and interesting characters. I found the historical ties entertaining. Hoping there's a sequel coming.
    Maggie
    Oct 17, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it
    What a great adventure, was very engrossed with the colorful characters. Will recommend this book :)
    Alexander Frank
    Oct 20, 2015 Alexander Frank rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Dumb

Stereotype characters, cartoon hero's and villains, don't waste your time. Even the earrings are one dimensional. And the dialogue is for first-graders
    Heather Perreault
    Sep 16, 2015 Heather Perreault rated it it was amazing
    Totally addictive, fast paced, fun read! Can't wait for more!
    Sue
    Sep 16, 2016 Sue rated it liked it
    Interesting premise....conspiracy theory at its finest, although the big reveal was at the end. Having lived in Japan, I enjoyed the setting. The historical context was intriguing, and involving corruption at every level, and the Yakuza, made it a pretty exciting read.
    Sara
    Dec 10, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
    I will read any and every book about Japan. At the beginning of this book I wondered how it had gotten published. The writing is mediocre and the characters lack dimension. It could have used a good edit. Yet, it's an interesting story though filled with the requisite Japan markers, i.e. references to Christmas cake, meeting at Almond in Roppongi, etc. It's almost as if the author is trying to prove he knows Japan.

It could have been better, but it is still enjoyable to read anything about Japan
    May 19, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
    Pembina Ponders Book Club review: It reads like a movie - it should be made into a movie! We found it action packed, mysterious, and historically plausible. The story line is engaging, lots of different pieces which connect at the end. You're invested in the well-developed characters. It's hard to put down, a page turner. The only complaint: we were disappointed that Richard chose to make his protagonist an American given the author is Canadian.

We read this for book club and got to Skype with t
    Renee
    Apr 08, 2016 Renee rated it it was amazing
    I'm so happy I got this book! The characters are genuine, the places/settings are descriptive and the story is believable. It would make a great action-packed movie. I would describe it as a suspenseful thriller with a little romance, history, culture and conspiracy theory on the side for added flavour. A deadly game full of surprises! Impressive first novel Mr. Goodfellow! I look forward to your next endeavour.
    Sharon
    Oct 27, 2015 Sharon rated it it was ok
    Not good. Two stars because I stayed interested enough to finish it, but honestly I'm not sure why. Ridiculous characters, an inane storyline and almost incomprehensible action sequences. Desperately in need of a copy editor, too.
    Sailor
    Jul 30, 2015 Sailor rated it it was ok
    If you are into Japanese history & culture you may find this book interesting. The plot was so so...then the author had to bring the JFK conspiracy into play. Down hill after that. Does his next book deal with Jimmy Hoffa hiding in Japan.
    Joyce
    Oct 30, 2015 Joyce rated it liked it
    More of a made-for-TV thriller script, with the usual cast of good vs bad characters. The thriller did have me on edge much of the time, and I must admit well-written, though it's not my regular type of "love it" book.
    Ruth
    Jan 20, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing
    Excellent read!! Grabs you at the start and keeps you moving through to the end - I didn't want to put it down!!
    Janie
    Janie rated it liked it
    Apr 21, 2016
    Wei
    Wei rated it it was ok
    Oct 02, 2015
    Ryan Cavanaugh
    Ryan Cavanaugh rated it liked it
    Feb 29, 2016
    Oggi
    Oggi rated it did not like it
    Oct 25, 2015
    Carol Shaw
    Carol Shaw rated it really liked it
    Jan 30, 2016
    Peggy
    Peggy rated it really liked it
    Jan 19, 2016
    Ann
    Ann rated it liked it
    Oct 28, 2015
    Rachel
    Rachel rated it really liked it
    May 02, 2016
    « previous 1 3 next »
    • Tsubame (Le poids des secrets, #3)
    • The Axeman: A New Orleans Thriller Based on a True Story
    • Macbeth the King
    • Amore
    • The Only Woman in the Room
    • Fire in the Blood (Scott Cullen Mysteries #3)
    • Wayfarer
    • Hiroshige
    • Cry Wolf (Laura Cardinal #4)
    • The River Ki
    • Sakamichi No Apollon: 1
    • The Japan Journals: 1947-2004
    • Hachi-Ko: The Samurai Dog
    • A Dark Night's Passing (Japan's Modern Writers)
    • Pronghorns of the Third Reich
    • The Stones Cry Out
    • Tokyo: A Certain Style
    • When I Whistle
    Richard Goodfellow spent two years teaching English in Japan in the early 1990s.

A software consultant and self-described road warrior, he penned the majority of COLLECTOR OF SECRETS on airplanes and in small towns throughout Oregon, Texas, Florida, and everywhere in between.

After completion of the novel's first draft, he returned to Japan for a month of further travel to lay fresh eyes on the no
    More about Richard Goodfellow...