Start by marking “Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction” as Want to Read:
Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction

Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"A lucid and penetrating development of game theory that will appeal to the intuition . . . a most valuable contribution." —Douglas R. Hofstadter Fascinating, accessible introduction to enormously important intellectual system with numerous applications to social, economic, political problems. Newly revised edition offers overview of game theory, then lucid coverage of the...more
Published July 1st 1997 by Dover Publications (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Game Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Theory

Justin
It certainly achieves its goal of giving a basic overview of game theory. At some points, though, I wish Davis had gone into more of the math. He also occasionally makes the error of confusing simplicity with brevity. If you read this, you won't be able to "do" game theory (if that's the word), but you will get a pretty good sense of what it's all about.
Josh Paul
Interesting introduction. Does not require a strong math background.
Star Shining Forever
Well, as this book's title suggests, it is a fairly "nontechnical" introduction to game theory, which normally includes lots of math. I'm not a mathy person and I didn't know how much of it usually is in game theory when I signed up for my (elective) Thomas Edison State College course "Games People Play." It included recorded lectures as the primary teaching, so this book was supplemental. Thankfully the course wasn't too mathy either, and neither was this book. It does have good explanations of...more
Pep Bonet
Interesting reading, but I lost my ability to read about maths, even in its simplest form. And then, ebook format is not the most appropriate for mathematics...
David
A little dated
Kw Estes
A decent introduction to game theory that does not require a ton of math. Good for those just trying to get a feel for what exactly game theory "is", but don't expect to be overly excited by this book. It's fairly old and almost outdated in some of its references. If possible, I recommend finding a newer introduction to game theory.
dead letter office
i read this in the waiting room while my friend had surgery in some cambridge hospital. not really a good day for anyone.

this is too nontechnical to be of interest to anyone with more than a passing interest in game theory, and it's too boring to be of interest to anyone else. a useless book.
Courtney
The word "nontechnical" in the title shouldn't be confused with "basic". This is still an involved book, and a somewhat dated one at that. But for those with a developed interest in game theory it's insightful.
Jeff Yoak
This book does an excellent job of outlining the basics of game theory. The job is sufficient to allow someone with a grasp of algebra to do real analysis of games.
Dani
This book is like a good TED talk. Except it takes more then 18 minutes to read it, so I will probably be keeping it in chunks of 18 minutes for a long time :)
Elc
Not the best introduction to game theory. I guess its being non-technical comes at a price.
Issabannoura
nice book
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Nicholas St
Nicholas St marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Kaspars Zīle
Kaspars Zīle marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Jimi Smoot
Jimi Smoot marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Rodrigues
Rodrigues marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Steven Merino
Steven Merino marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Karan
Karan marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
  • Rock, Paper, Scissors: Game Theory in Everyday Life
  • Prisoner's Dilemma
  • Meta Math!: The Quest for Omega
  • Concepts of Modern Mathematics
  • Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life
  • Causality: Models, Reasoning, and Inference
  • A History of Pi
  • Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
The Math of Money: Making Mathematical Sense of Your Personal Finances Mathematically Speaking