Start by marking “Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction” as Want to Read:
Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction

Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  292 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"A lucid and penetrating development of game theory that will appeal to the intuition . . . a most valuable contribution." — Douglas R. Hofstadter, author of Gödel, Escher, Bach
The foundations of game theory were laid by John von Neumann, who in 1928 proved the basic minimax theorem, and with the 1944 publication of the Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, the field was
Published July 1st 1997 by Dover Publications (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Game Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Theory

Peter Gelfan
Feb 04, 2016 Peter Gelfan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard science is the study of measurable, quantifiable, predictable results. A falling object will accelerate at the same calculable rate every time, and given quantities of oxygen and hydrogen will combust to form an exact amount of water every time. Soft science deals with ingredients that do not always react the same way no matter how hard you try to keep the situation uniform. The difference between these ingredients and those studied by hard science is that the loose cannons are life forms. ...more
Charles
Apr 15, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at a used book store and while I generally need little prodding to purchase a math book, in this case a quick glance through the first few pages convinced me to purchase it. Although human emotions are powerful forces in our lives, many of our decisions are still made based on rational thought and perceived benefit. This is the realm of game theory, which is an analysis of decision-making based on the interpretation of rewards and punishment.
The first games examined in this
Justin
Jul 28, 2009 Justin rated it liked it
It certainly achieves its goal of giving a basic overview of game theory. At some points, though, I wish Davis had gone into more of the math. He also occasionally makes the error of confusing simplicity with brevity. If you read this, you won't be able to "do" game theory (if that's the word), but you will get a pretty good sense of what it's all about.
Josh Paul
Nov 23, 2011 Josh Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting introduction. Does not require a strong math background.
Star Shining Forever
Well, as this book's title suggests, it is a fairly "nontechnical" introduction to game theory, which normally includes lots of math. I'm not a mathy person and I didn't know how much of it usually is in game theory when I signed up for my (elective) Thomas Edison State College course "Games People Play." It included recorded lectures as the primary teaching, so this book was supplemental. Thankfully the course wasn't too mathy either, and neither was this book. It does have good explanations of ...more
Pep Bonet
Mar 10, 2014 Pep Bonet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ciència
Interesting reading, but I lost my ability to read about maths, even in its simplest form. And then, ebook format is not the most appropriate for mathematics...
David
Aug 13, 2014 David rated it liked it
A little dated
Kw Estes
Jun 16, 2010 Kw Estes rated it liked it
A decent introduction to game theory that does not require a ton of math. Good for those just trying to get a feel for what exactly game theory "is", but don't expect to be overly excited by this book. It's fairly old and almost outdated in some of its references. If possible, I recommend finding a newer introduction to game theory.
dead letter office
Feb 25, 2009 dead letter office rated it did not like it
i read this in the waiting room while my friend had surgery in some cambridge hospital. not really a good day for anyone.

this is too nontechnical to be of interest to anyone with more than a passing interest in game theory, and it's too boring to be of interest to anyone else. a useless book.
Courtney
The word "nontechnical" in the title shouldn't be confused with "basic". This is still an involved book, and a somewhat dated one at that. But for those with a developed interest in game theory it's insightful.
Jeff Yoak
Aug 10, 2009 Jeff Yoak rated it it was amazing
This book does an excellent job of outlining the basics of game theory. The job is sufficient to allow someone with a grasp of algebra to do real analysis of games.
Dani
Feb 26, 2013 Dani rated it liked it
This book is like a good TED talk. Except it takes more then 18 minutes to read it, so I will probably be keeping it in chunks of 18 minutes for a long time :)
Elc
Dec 27, 2010 Elc rated it it was ok
Not the best introduction to game theory. I guess its being non-technical comes at a price.
Issabannoura
nice book
Darisann Metzler stout
Sep 24, 2012 Darisann Metzler stout rated it really liked it
Roll the dice
Alok Goel
Alok Goel marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Alinthia Fennel
Alinthia Fennel marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
David
David is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Joshua Kingsbury
Joshua Kingsbury marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Clinton Freeman
Clinton Freeman marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Carolina Lima
Carolina Lima marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Bikram Sen
Bikram Sen marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Arild Vang
Arild Vang marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Inês Lille
Inês Lille marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Natasha Alex
Natasha Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Tom Schulte
Tom Schulte is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Data for Morton Davis's Game Theory 3 15 Apr 01, 2015 03:01PM
  • Theory of Games and Economic Behavior
  • Co-Opetition
  • Overconnected: The Promise and Threat of the Internet
  • The Evolution of Cooperation

“they exist, equilibrium points are easy to” 0 likes
“maximum of these minimum values; this value is called the maximin, and it is the very least that A can be sure of getting. In this game, if A plays “Favor X,” “Favor Y,” and “Dodge Issue,” these minimum values would be 10, 45 and” 0 likes