Start by marking “Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction” as Want to Read:
Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction

Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"A lucid and penetrating development of game theory that will appeal to the intuition . . . a most valuable contribution." — Douglas R. Hofstadter, author of Gödel, Escher, Bach
The foundations of game theory were laid by John von Neumann, who in 1928 proved the basic minimax theorem, and with the 1944 publication of the Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, the field was
Published July 1st 1997 by Dover Publications (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Game Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Theory

Charles
I found this book at a used book store and while I generally need little prodding to purchase a math book, in this case a quick glance through the first few pages convinced me to purchase it. Although human emotions are powerful forces in our lives, many of our decisions are still made based on rational thought and perceived benefit. This is the realm of game theory, which is an analysis of decision-making based on the interpretation of rewards and punishment.
The first games examined in this
Justin
It certainly achieves its goal of giving a basic overview of game theory. At some points, though, I wish Davis had gone into more of the math. He also occasionally makes the error of confusing simplicity with brevity. If you read this, you won't be able to "do" game theory (if that's the word), but you will get a pretty good sense of what it's all about.
Josh Paul
Interesting introduction. Does not require a strong math background.
Star Shining Forever
Well, as this book's title suggests, it is a fairly "nontechnical" introduction to game theory, which normally includes lots of math. I'm not a mathy person and I didn't know how much of it usually is in game theory when I signed up for my (elective) Thomas Edison State College course "Games People Play." It included recorded lectures as the primary teaching, so this book was supplemental. Thankfully the course wasn't too mathy either, and neither was this book. It does have good explanations of ...more
Pep Bonet
Interesting reading, but I lost my ability to read about maths, even in its simplest form. And then, ebook format is not the most appropriate for mathematics...
David
A little dated
Kw Estes
A decent introduction to game theory that does not require a ton of math. Good for those just trying to get a feel for what exactly game theory "is", but don't expect to be overly excited by this book. It's fairly old and almost outdated in some of its references. If possible, I recommend finding a newer introduction to game theory.
dead letter office
i read this in the waiting room while my friend had surgery in some cambridge hospital. not really a good day for anyone.

this is too nontechnical to be of interest to anyone with more than a passing interest in game theory, and it's too boring to be of interest to anyone else. a useless book.
Courtney
The word "nontechnical" in the title shouldn't be confused with "basic". This is still an involved book, and a somewhat dated one at that. But for those with a developed interest in game theory it's insightful.
Jeff Yoak
This book does an excellent job of outlining the basics of game theory. The job is sufficient to allow someone with a grasp of algebra to do real analysis of games.
Dani
This book is like a good TED talk. Except it takes more then 18 minutes to read it, so I will probably be keeping it in chunks of 18 minutes for a long time :)
Elc
Not the best introduction to game theory. I guess its being non-technical comes at a price.
Issabannoura
nice book
Nima
Nima marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Juan Manuel
Juan Manuel marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Saman
Saman marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Janset
Janset marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Moritz Stellmacher
Moritz Stellmacher marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Gurleen Kaur
Gurleen Kaur marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Stanley
Stanley marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Efim
Efim marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Jarek
Jarek marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Data for Morton Davis's Game Theory 3 15 Apr 01, 2015 03:01PM
  • Theory of Games and Economic Behavior
  • Mathematics: Form and Function
  • Co-Opetition
  • Overconnected: The Promise and Threat of the Internet
  • An Introduction to Game Theory
The Math of Money: Making Mathematical Sense of Your Personal Finances Mathematically Speaking