Start by marking “Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province” as Want to Read:
Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province

Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Fuchsia Dunlop is the author of the much-loved and critically acclaimed Sichuanese cookbook Land of Plenty, which won the British Guild of Food Writers’ Jeremy Round Award for best first book and which critic John Thorne called “a seminal exploration of one of China’s great regional cuisines.” Now, with Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, she introduces us to the delicious tas ...more
Published February 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published August 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook

Darren
Firstly, what a title - how come it had not been used before? A great tie-in that immediately tells the reader a bit about the book thanks to the worldwide association of Chairman Mao and his little red book.

In a way, this book might be a form of fairly-strong "guidelines" too that can foster a degree of determination and appreciation, albeit on a culinary level. Within this sturdy, steady book the author sets out to showcase food from Hunan, a province in China that is often overlooked at least
Miriam
Jan 21, 2009 Miriam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Miriam by: Saveur magazine
Shelves: culinary, non-fiction
Chairman Mao’s Red-Braised Pork (Mao Shi Hong Shao Rou)

1 lb. pork belly (skin optional)
2 Tbsp. peanut oil
2 Tbsp. white sugar
1 Tbsp. Shaoxing wine
~ Fresh ginger (a -inch piece), skin left on and sliced
1 star anise
2 dried red chiles
~ A small piece of cassia bark or a small cinnamon stick
~ Light soy sauce
~ Salt
~ Sugar
~ Scallion greens
Steps

Plunge the pork belly into a pan of boiling water and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes, until partially cooked. Remove and, when cool enough to handle, cut i
Bookshop
What can I say? It's from Fuschia Dunlop, the writer of Sichuan Cookery which is one of my most utilized and prized cook books.

Her love for Chinese cooking, particularly from Sichuan and Hunan, is unmistakable. As per her earlier book, this book starts with factors which are deemed to influence the Hunanese cuisine: its culture, its people, its climate, its history. Apparently, Mao Ze Dong comes from this province and I guess that explains her cultural revolution theme in the book. She then move
Meg
I lived in Hunan for a short time, and loved loved loved the cuisine there. I bought this cookbook in hopes of replicating some of the dishes here in the states, as well as just to read about the background of the region. The recipes are great and varied but I wish that there were more photos of the food, ingredients, landscape, etc. I could do without Mao references on just about every single page. While I can find most of the ingredients easily enough, I am not that successful in making them t ...more
Amber
I have tried MANY MANY cookbooks but they all failed to teach me how to make anything that tastes remotely similar to authentic Chinese food.

With the help of this book (and Land of Plenty), I have finally learned how to cook food that even scored compliments from my Chinese father-in-law. I loved this cookbook!

nicole
Jul 07, 2008 nicole added it
Shelves: cooking, food
I have to return this to the library before I actually got around to making anything from this but I just love looking through cookbooks. Even though this one has lots of meat recipes, it also has beautiful photos and great stories. There are some veggie recipes that look good too...I'll check it out again.
Desmond
For anyone who likes Chinese food and loves to cook, this is a must have! I don't want to cook anything else. I've tried about five recipes so far, they have all been excellent, yet at the same time each dish is unique in flavor.
Mellisa
I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but most of my favorite Hunan foods are in it and the ingredients look spot on and the photos are gorgeous. This one is going to be fun to experiment with.
stephanie
An great, easy guide to Hunan cooking. Most of the ingredients can be found at the local asian grocery and the recipes are easy to follow. Plus all the recipes are tasty.
Adam Lubin
doesn't cover the basics nearly as well as I'd like, but has interesting recipes (and backstories, though I'm never clear on who the hell reads such things in cookbooks).
Allisonperkel
another wonderful book on cooking from Ms Dunlop. Again the recipes are tasty, wonderful and really very home style. Her writing also helps bring the dishes to life.
Autumn
Up to her usual standards of excellence, but not exactly what I want to eat. The history about the Cultural Revolution's impact on food and cooking was good tho.
Ysabet
Rating is based on the reading experience, since we haven't actually tried any of the recipes yet, but all reports indicate they're excellent.
Jessie
Her previous book is much better. This book has more cheesy stories, and some of the recipes seem like minor variants on ones in Land of Plenty.
Kady
Jun 13, 2007 Kady marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Chinese food
I can't wait to buy this book! (see review of Land of Plenty)
Bernie
some great recipes in there, that i'll be trying out
Arjun
Pretty damn good, I must say.
S
Jan 12, 2008 S marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
641.5951 DUN ...more
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Gillian Wong
Gillian Wong marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Erin Toops
Erin Toops marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
  • Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • Thai Food
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • 660 Curries
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • The Essential Cuisines of Mexico: Revised and updated throughout, with more than 30 new recipes.
  • The Breath of a Wok: Breath of a Wok
  • The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking
  • The Complete Robuchon
Fuchsia Dunlop is a cook and food-writer specialising in Chinese cuisine. She is the author of Shark’s Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China, an account of her adventures in exploring Chinese food culture, and two critically-acclaimed Chinese cookery books, Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, and Sichuan Cookery (published in the US as Land of Plenty).

Fuchsia writes for public
More about Fuchsia Dunlop...
Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking Every Grain Of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China