Start by marking “This Is Sadie” as Want to Read:
This Is Sadie

This Is Sadie

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  1,243 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews
Sadie is a little girl with a big imagination. She has been a girl who lived under the sea and a boy raised by wolves. She has had adventures in wonderland and visited the world of fairytales. She whispers to the dresses in her closet and talks to birds in the treetops. She has wings that take her anywhere she wants to go, but that always bring her home again. She likes to ...more
Published May 12th 2015 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is Sadie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Sadie

karen
Nov 27, 2015 karen rated it it was amazing
okay, i am going to get all my picture book reviews out of the way before i tackle the rest of my pending reviews/make-up work, because they are too big for the to-be-reviewed mountain on my windowsill, and i do not want to risk any thanksgiving day avalanches.

photo IMG_3736_zpsjmkl54kx.jpg

in my opinion, this is a perfect book. and while it's true i tend to up-rate the picture books i read just because they're like a little pop of candy and who's not gonna five-star candy? this one hits every funny-bone in my heart. first
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
Oh, this was a great children's book. It's about a little girl named Sadie and all the things she plays by using her imagination. There's mermaids, fairies, she becomes an archer on a horse, goes to Wonderland, she's got wings, and makes things out of cardboard boxes and cushions (who doesn't). It's about celebrating the imagination and a love for reading. So cute. The illustrations were awesome. It's even got 2 of my daughter's favorite animals in it, wolves and foxes. Highly recommended for ...more
Beth
Oh my heart.

This book is everything. This book is about as perfect as a book could possibly be. This book isn't just about Sadie. This book is about us all. We are all Sadie. Some of us just have to look harder to find her within ourselves than others. But she is there.

Gift this book to your daughters to show them they can do anything or be anyone they want to be. Gift this to your sons to show them it's OK to be "like a girl." Sadie is a role model to kids and adults alike. Let's not forget the
Nafiza
May 20, 2015 Nafiza rated it it was amazing
This is Sadie is a celebration of childhood, imagination, and storytelling. It is one of those books that will make an adult sigh and become nostalgic for those brief years where dragons slumbered nearby and imagination was fuller of stories than you know, what happens if bills aren’t paid.

So.

Sadie is a girl who finds the lives life to the fullest and this life is full of the most amazing things. Boxes become boats or snail shells. Friends live down the street but also snug in the pages of a fav
Nov 13, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

This Is Sadie by Sara O’Leary is a gorgeous looking book. The pages are rich with colors and details. The deep, natural greens and browns combined with delicate flowers and faces make this book a wonder to flip through.

Plus I liked Sadie. She was alive with imagination and energy. A reader and explorer of life!

”Sadie’s perfect day is spent with friends.
Some of them on her street,
and some live in the pages of books.”

But there is one line—one word really--that I can’t seem to let go. Sadie likes t
Ami
Feb 12, 2015 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nostalgic illustrations and a charming little girl fill the pages of this picture book. While I appreciate the message of the story, I thought the author was trying too hard to be all things to the reader. The book has a little bit of humor, a little bit of whimsy, a little bit of a message, and a little bit of fantasy. However, all those little bits don't create a strong identity for the book and I think young children will pick up on that.

Still, there is a line from the book that I a
Siskiyou-Suzy
Ugh, this book is so stupidly pretty and whimsical and sweet. It captures exactly what I think childhood should be.

That being said, I don't know that it's great for children. It's not bad for them, I'm just not sure it's good for them. I mean, kids don't really need ideas on how to be kids. Nor do they need stories on kids doing exactly what they do every day. I honestly think this children's book is a little bit more for nostalgic adults who like cute-as-hell things and want to read cute-as-hel
Sandra
Sep 19, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
Sadie has been a mermaid who lived under the sea, and she also has been a boy raised by wolves. She has visited Wonderland, and sailed a big box through the wide sea. She has been a hero in a fairy tale, and talked to the birds in the top of a tall tree. Sadie is a happy and imaginative girl whose days are never long enough for all the adventures waiting for her. This is the kind of book that makes you want to be a kid again...

Find more children's book reviews in Reviews in Chalk
David Schaafsma
Nov 16, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I and my family read all 20 of the Goodreads Picturebook nominees for 2015 and it looks like I forgot to review this one.

This is a sweet book about friendship in nature, books, people, beautifully illustrated in pastels. I think it is sort of vague in that it is sort of a celebration of childhood. Doesn't tell a story. It's a kind of portrait without a real center or theme except the typical imagination and joy and creativity that is a mainstay in picture books, and maybe especially picture book
Linda
Recent news about the value of play has been good to see. Here (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/opi...) is one article from the NY Times that you might want to read, "Let The Kids Learn Through Play". And when you finish that, you can read a briefer illustration of the importance of play by reading this book, This Is Sadie. Hm-m, is that Sadie on the cover, or a young fox? "The days are never long enough for Sadie. So many things to make and do and be." And, we discover that Sadie's perfect d ...more
Laurence
May 12, 2015 Laurence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-review
(Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

What a delightful little book! I am convinced that I would have adored it, had I read it years ago. Still, the seventeen year-old that I am loved this book for all its beautiful drawings and the love of reading that's shared through it. There's this quote that I found adorable, especially for a children's story, and that made me wish once more that I had read it at the right age: "Sadie likes
Kendra
Mar 31, 2016 Kendra rated it it was amazing
Perfect. Julie Morstad is one of my favourite new-to-me illustrators and this is the most dear story to go with her whimsical drawings. Sadie is me. Sadie is any child who loved books and stories and imagined herself in impossible and magical situations.
Also there was a mermaid picture.
Rachel Watkins
Jan 09, 2016 Rachel Watkins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Sadie is a little girl who uses her large imagination to entertain herself. She especially loves stories. This beautiful book illustrates the power of creativity in an elegant and accessible manner. Highly recommend!
Nadine Jones
Jan 12, 2016 Nadine Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute picture book about imagination, and books. I especially like how Sadie doesn't confine herself to imagining herself in the roles of girls only... sometimes she is the princess, sometimes she is the Mad Hatter...
Krystal
May 30, 2015 Krystal rated it it was amazing
A Crews' original.
Katie Tuccelli
May 07, 2015 Katie Tuccelli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2015, children
This is Sadie was a delightful, whimsical read! I may be close to 30, but reading this sweetly-illustrated children's book brought me back in time to when I was an imaginative little girl like Sadie. I was happy to follow along with Sadie as she built blanket forts, read her favorite books, and pretended to be a mermaid and a fairy princess, all done with her faithful stuffed toy fox and animal friends in tow. Even in the midst of all this fun, Sadie is careful to remind her friends to respect o ...more
April
Dec 03, 2015 April rated it really liked it
This is a very simple story, and it does many things right.

I would say the book's greatest strength is its ability to balance the image of the sweet femininity of a small girl accompanied by a strong imagination and confidence. Yes, she picks out a dress to wear in the morning, but when she uses her imagination she becomes a mermaid, a sailor on the open sea, and--not Alice--but the Mad Hatter.

My favorite image of Sadie is where she is atop a white horse surrounded by faeries accompanied by th
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion in any way.

This is Sadie is an adorable picture book about a whimsical little girl who uses her imagination from sun up to sun down.

The story was easy to read to my children, and had a wonderful lyrical quality to it. It's also a powerful rendering of the power of a child's creativity and imagination. In addition, if you didn't already love reading (and the power of reading), you will a
Margie
May 27, 2015 Margie rated it really liked it
Children rarely have to dig as long or as far as do adults. It's much closer to the surface. For them within seconds, they are transformed and transported to roles and worlds of their own choosing. Their minds are free of life's accumulated clutter. They dream big all day long.

We had several vacant lots on our street when we were growing up. The one, wooded and tall with weeds, was a paradise for all of us. As soon as we crossed the boundary, we were no longer within the confines of our neighbor
Michele Knott
May 30, 2015 Michele Knott rated it it was amazing
To be so busy with your day because there is so much to be imagined. Sadie is a girl whose imagination is so wide and varied but grounded with ideas from books.
I loved the inferencing - what does the author mean? And frequently what isn't being said is what is the most humorous.
The illustrations are gorgeous and could easily be framed!
Katie
Sep 14, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
Stephanie, thank you so much for recommending this! This book is an absolute delight. Simple but imaginative and full of whimsy. I almost think my favorite part, though, is that the author and illustrator have used their childhood photos on the book jacket! What a cute idea!!

Morgan
Aug 09, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
"Sadie's perfect day is spent with friends. Some of them live on her street, and some live in the pages of books."

Absolutely wonderful! Took me right back to childhood, when my backyard was a jungle and my living room was made of lava.
Carrie Gelson
When students refuse to go home on Friday afternoon because they are clamouring to share why they love this book, you know it is a winner! Shared on my blog here: http://thereisabookforthat.com/2015/0...
Stefani Sloma
Aug 15, 2015 Stefani Sloma rated it really liked it
Really loved this quiet and cute picture book about a little girl who loves stories.
"But more than anything she likes stories,
because you can make them from nothing at all."
Susan
Dec 20, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, I liked it, the pictures are ones i want to have on my walls. But it really does feel like it's more for adults looking back on childhood than actual children. Gorgeous pictures though.
Angela
Sep 02, 2015 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
It's beautiful. But I feel like this is a book for adults. It feels so nostalgic... Clearly,I'm in the minority here, but I'm skeptical about the kid-appeal.
Selena
Aug 27, 2015 Selena rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This is a book that shows what we imagine children to be. Sadly, the Sadies are starting to disappear. Maybe if we can get books like this into enough of their hands, they will start to come back.
Emily Scheinman
Beautiful matching of text and illustration. Both really captured the depth of Sadie's imagination.
Hannah Mary
Jan 25, 2016 Hannah Mary rated it really liked it
Sadie is an adventurous character who gets lost in the world of books. She spends her days dressing up, playing and reading in these imaginary adventures.
Jacqueline
I liked this book. I think I will try it for story time. The story is sweet and gentle and presents a message about using your imagination. Pretty pictures and soothing words.
  • The Whisper
  • Wolfie the Bunny
  • The Good Little Book
  • Leo: A Ghost Story
  • Beyond the Pond
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball (Toys, #4)
  • Orion and the Dark