Start by marking “Getting Started in Value Investing” as Want to Read:
Getting Started in Value Investing

Getting Started in Value Investing

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
An accessible introduction to the proven method of value investing An ardent follower of Warren Buffett-the most high-profile value investor today-author Charles Mizrahi has long believed in the power of this proven approach. Now, with Getting Started in Value Investing, Mizrahi breaks down this successful strategy so that anyone can learn how to use it in his or her own i ...more
Published November 9th 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started in Value Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started in Value Investing

Joey
Sep 22, 2010 Joey rated it it was amazing
A great starter kit to value investing (fitting title), but flawed in valuation methods. I spoke with the author a few times, and he's not a fan of DCF and this comes through in his book as he uses relies on EPS and somewhat arbitrary P/E multipliers to determine future value of stocks.

With that said, I have no complaints about this book for someone looking to wrap their heads about what value investing is and how to get started. It's easy reading, well-organized, not too technical, yet full of
Julian Bu
Mar 08, 2014 Julian Bu rated it liked it
nothing wrong, but very basic material on value investing.
Jason
Mar 18, 2011 Jason rated it liked it
This is a good overview of what Value Investing is. He parrots himself throughout the book and at times you wonder how short the book would be if he only stated an idea once.

His method is not the only one out there to estimate the intrinsic value of stocks, but it gives you an idea of the things that you need to look into. Once you set up a spreadsheet, the method just becomes combing through the annual reports of the companies that you are interested in.

As a novice investor, this was a worthwil
Marshall
Jun 07, 2012 Marshall rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, money
Value investing is like the Aikido of investing, using the volatile market forces to the investor's advantage. Simple in theory, difficult in practice. This book does a fabulous job at showing just how simple it really is, but also that it's not for the faint of heart.

I've read several books on value investing, and this is only book I've found that goes beyond the philosophy and breaks it down to the nuts and bolts. That said, it does repetitively hammer away on the philosophy.
Jonathan
Jan 13, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
If you're only going to read one book on investing, this would be a good one. Another older book with a great reputation (which I have not yet read) and on which this book is largely based is Graham and Dodd's "Security Analysis". Stock market investing will always be risky, but it can actually be much simpler and safer if you take a rational approach to it like these guys all do.
Tom
May 01, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn about Benjamin Graham's style of value investing, this is a must read! Actually, if you want to learn a successful investing strategy, then read this book!!! It is well written and easy to read. I highly recommend this book!!!
Jan 22, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dad
Shelves: finance
The first 8 chapters were interesting, but I felt like I either already knew what he was saying, or was being convinced of a theory to which I already subscribed. Chapters 9 and 10 though seem super useful. Now I just have to use what I've learned...
Terrance
Aug 01, 2008 Terrance rated it really liked it
This is definately the first book to read if you're getting into value investing. Reading a Benjamin Graham or Warren Buffet book can be very confusing. This book will introduce you to the subject of value investing in an easy and noncomplex manner.
Dreamybee
Jan 13, 2009 Dreamybee rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great starter for anyone considering investing in stocks. Lots of good information that is easy to understand.
Chaoticreader
Chaoticreader marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
FDS
FDS marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Athul Sudheesh
Athul Sudheesh marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Egor
Egor marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Chaopang Fan
Chaopang Fan rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Luiz Egri
Luiz Egri marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Charlie
Charlie rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Jason Senensky
Jason Senensky rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
Ryan
Ryan added it
Dec 28, 2015
Alessandro
Alessandro marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
David Cai
David Cai rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Gvsr
Gvsr marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Teddy Berman
Teddy Berman rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Varghees Kunjachan
Varghees Kunjachan marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Karthik Murugesan
Karthik Murugesan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Ninad
Ninad added it
Sep 25, 2015
William
William marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Jayakrishnan Puthanveetil
Jayakrishnan Puthanveetil rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Derrick
Derrick rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Jerjuan Graham
Jerjuan Graham marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015