Start by marking “Getting Started in Value Investing” as Want to Read:
Getting Started in Value Investing

Getting Started in Value Investing

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An accessible introduction to the proven method of value investingAn ardent follower of Warren Buffett-the most high-profile value investor today-author Charles Mizrahi has long believed in the power of this proven approach. Now, with Getting Started in Value Investing, Mizrahi breaks down this successful strategy so that anyone can learn how to use it in his or her own in ...more
Published October 25th 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started in Value Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started in Value Investing

Joey
A great starter kit to value investing (fitting title), but flawed in valuation methods. I spoke with the author a few times, and he's not a fan of DCF and this comes through in his book as he uses relies on EPS and somewhat arbitrary P/E multipliers to determine future value of stocks.

With that said, I have no complaints about this book for someone looking to wrap their heads about what value investing is and how to get started. It's easy reading, well-organized, not too technical, yet full of
Julian Bu
nothing wrong, but very basic material on value investing.
Jason
This is a good overview of what Value Investing is. He parrots himself throughout the book and at times you wonder how short the book would be if he only stated an idea once.

His method is not the only one out there to estimate the intrinsic value of stocks, but it gives you an idea of the things that you need to look into. Once you set up a spreadsheet, the method just becomes combing through the annual reports of the companies that you are interested in.

As a novice investor, this was a worthwil
Marshall
Value investing is like the Aikido of investing, using the volatile market forces to the investor's advantage. Simple in theory, difficult in practice. This book does a fabulous job at showing just how simple it really is, but also that it's not for the faint of heart.

I've read several books on value investing, and this is only book I've found that goes beyond the philosophy and breaks it down to the nuts and bolts. That said, it does repetitively hammer away on the philosophy.
Jonathan
If you're only going to read one book on investing, this would be a good one. Another older book with a great reputation (which I have not yet read) and on which this book is largely based is Graham and Dodd's "Security Analysis". Stock market investing will always be risky, but it can actually be much simpler and safer if you take a rational approach to it like these guys all do.
Tom
If you want to learn about Benjamin Graham's style of value investing, this is a must read! Actually, if you want to learn a successful investing strategy, then read this book!!! It is well written and easy to read. I highly recommend this book!!!
Jan 22, 2012 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dad
Shelves: finance
The first 8 chapters were interesting, but I felt like I either already knew what he was saying, or was being convinced of a theory to which I already subscribed. Chapters 9 and 10 though seem super useful. Now I just have to use what I've learned...
Terrance
This is definately the first book to read if you're getting into value investing. Reading a Benjamin Graham or Warren Buffet book can be very confusing. This book will introduce you to the subject of value investing in an easy and noncomplex manner.
Dreamybee
I think this is a great starter for anyone considering investing in stocks. Lots of good information that is easy to understand.
Sid1983
Sid1983 marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Guoquan
Guoquan marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Adisorn Chanprapalert
Adisorn Chanprapalert marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Andre Zerafa
Andre Zerafa marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
ykf
ykf added it
Jan 05, 2015
Yaseen
Yaseen added it
Dec 19, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Piriya Sambandaraksa
Piriya Sambandaraksa marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Peng Leenukool
Peng Leenukool marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Ee Jian
Ee Jian marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014