Start by marking “Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories

Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Classic / American English Mark Twain is one of America's most famous and best-loved writers. He wrote about every important subject of his time. Twain's stories are usually amusing but with a serious message too. You will read about people's hopes and fears, happiness and terrible sadness--and wonderful practical jokes!
Published April 7th 2008 by Pearson Education ESL (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories

Janessa Lantz
There's no point in "reviewing" the works of Mark Twain. It's a comical endeavor. The best I have is my reaction to his work.

I first read Twain when I was a kid, I didn't like it at all. This book was my second attempt at Twain, I loved it.

Reading Mark Twain is like meeting the family of an old friend. Suddenly you get where your friend got their sense of humor, their clothing style, their quirks. There's a little bit of Mark Twain in every American author that has written anything notable ove
LeAnn
So That's where the "Golden Arm" Ghost story comes from! Mark Twain explains how to tell the story to get the best reaction from your audience. This is a fun collection of some of Mark Twain's short stories. I have a copy that I found in my parent's home.
PurplyCookie
A collection of short stories by one of the most beloved American writers, Mark Twain.

"The Celebrated Jumping Frog" is a humorous story about a man who had a frog that could jump higher than any other. He made a bet with a sly man, and he went off to catch a frog for the man, the man filled the "Celebrated Jumping Frog" with shot, and the frog wouldn't move.

"The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg" is about Hadleyburg which is a town that every other town wants to be, it is clean, small, and has nev
Mike Ogilvie
This is a small collection of (very) short stories - they're almost like a set of modern fables. I'd heard of the Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County, but not any of the others. They are: The Story of the Bad Little Boy, Is He Living or Is He Dead?, The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg, and A Fable.

Surprisingly, he one story that is in the title of the collection is my least favorite. It's just okay, but the others make the collection truly great. These should be required reading in high sc
Brock Steger
Mark Twain is witty, timeless, occasionally dark and frequently insightful. The stories aren't all great, but they're all enjoyable to read and some of them have well-deserved reputations as classics of the form. Re-read them when your kids need to go to bed.
Amy
i smiled and laughed while reading the first three stories- they're hilarious! but the next two were a bit more of a headache, especially the last story. But only somebody with a wild and childish imagination like Twain could've thunk up these tales! I love Mark Twain- always will.
The jumping frog story is hilarious! Bets and bets and bets until he gets outbetted by a trickster. Haha!
The bad little boy made me smile throughout until the end and then it made me a bit broody since I think of all t
Michael Pickle
Yeah...this guy could write.
Me
It's a collection of short stories so the quality differs.

But please do yourself a favour and don't read the last story last.
Angela
An amusing little volume but The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg lost my interest. Done.
Samantha
Really, more like 3.5 stars.

There were some stories I REALLY liked and would give 5 stars, and other stories I didn't care for at all. Probably just a generational gap...by more than a century. I did find the last 'story' included to be very interesting. It was all about how to tell a humorous story.
Reeses
So far I only have read Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog but let me just say this, I am s lost on the clean humor. I think I need to read a few more of these to be able to get the overall message because the humor in this story was so completely lost on me. Oh well live and learn.
Carol Ann Hoyt
Much of Mark Twain's writings are not humorous to me. I think I have a problem with the run-on sentences. I lose track of what I'm reading. This is a good tale, though. It seems to me that it accurately portrays what life in this mining camp town must have been like in the late 1800's.
Jones
I enjoyed most of the stories, though Twain's dry whit sometimes required perseverance. My favorite shorts were "The $1,000,000 Bank Note" and "Jim Baker's Bluejay Yarn." It was interesting to learn that the story "Was it Heaven or Hell" was based on the author's personal experience.
Abby
The stories in this book were fun, and very critical of humans in their willingness to push aside others and their morality for a bit of money. Just as I would expect from Twain. We could use a bit of this brand of satire today.
Emily
The first of the readings for the class where I'm a graduate assistant (American Lit Since 1865 -- I hit the jackpot). Good example of the tall tale, and the part about the dog made me laugh.

AnnieM
Some I loved, some were only ok. The one based on his war experience was my least favorite, but I think that's because it's not a war I'm particularly well versed in.
Hope
Fun collection of Twain's short stories, well read by Norman Dietz :) Well worth a listen, keeping in mind that he uses some racial terms considered right rude today.
Joshua
A clever collection of short stories sprinkled with bits of deep genuine humor and on the whole filled with good characterization and dialogue.
Julie S.
Meh, most of the stories were dull. I know this is not a good representation of his writing.
Samantha Williams
Great quick read to put laughter into the child at heart while at work or on lunch break!
Eric Hinkle
The first Twain short stories I've read. I loved them! I laughed quite a lot.
Lorna
Entertaining as well as much to think about in these stories.
Erin
Oh Mark Twain…you saucy snarky beast!
Lafcadio
Can't really go wrong with Mr. Twain.
Cws
JAR6-Twa
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Sean
Sean added it
Mar 20, 2015
  • Ivan the Fool
  • Pinned
  • Guy Mannering
  • Rumpole and the younger generation
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • Eleonora
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood: An English Legend
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • That Affair Next Door
  • Under the garden (Penguin 60s)
  • Guys Read: Funny Business (Guys Read, #1)
  • The Black Monk
  • La mare au diable
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Prince and the Pauper A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

“You can find in a text whatever you bring, if you will stand between it and the mirror of you imagination. You may not see your ears, but they will be there.” 1 likes