Start by marking “Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories

Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  443 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Classic / American English Mark Twain is one of America's most famous and best-loved writers. He wrote about every important subject of his time. Twain's stories are usually amusing but with a serious message too. You will read about people's hopes and fears, happiness and terrible sadness--and wonderful practical jokes!
Published April 17th 2008 by Pearson Education ESL (first published 1867)

To ask other readers questions about Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog and Other Stories

Janessa Lantz
May 09, 2014 Janessa Lantz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's no point in "reviewing" the works of Mark Twain. It's a comical endeavor. The best I have is my reaction to his work.

I first read Twain when I was a kid, I didn't like it at all. This book was my second attempt at Twain, I loved it.

Reading Mark Twain is like meeting the family of an old friend. Suddenly you get where your friend got their sense of humor, their clothing style, their quirks. There's a little bit of Mark Twain in every American author that has written anything notable ove
LeAnn
Aug 23, 2013 LeAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So That's where the "Golden Arm" Ghost story comes from! Mark Twain explains how to tell the story to get the best reaction from your audience. This is a fun collection of some of Mark Twain's short stories. I have a copy that I found in my parent's home.
Mary Tuley
Aug 11, 2007 Mary Tuley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody!
All I really want is to go back in time and become Mark Twain's best friend.
Dave
Nov 29, 2010 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, fiction, humor
How does one assign a rating to Mark Twain? One obvious possibility is to give them all his works five stars. It could easily be argued that they all deserve it. On the other hand, giving them all the same rating would make ratings useless as a comparison between his works. One could look at how Mark Twain would rate his own work, but in the case of “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County and Other Sketches”, published in May of 1867, it seems likely that Twain would have given it one s ...more
PurplyCookie
Apr 04, 2010 PurplyCookie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories by one of the most beloved American writers, Mark Twain.

"The Celebrated Jumping Frog" is a humorous story about a man who had a frog that could jump higher than any other. He made a bet with a sly man, and he went off to catch a frog for the man, the man filled the "Celebrated Jumping Frog" with shot, and the frog wouldn't move.

"The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg" is about Hadleyburg which is a town that every other town wants to be, it is clean, small, and has nev
King Ævil
Before I read the story, I knew very little about “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” except its reputation. And afterward, I was horribly disappointed: I finished it with a disbelieving, “That was it?”. The star of the tale, as it turned out, is not as celebrated as the story itself—not by several orders of magnitude. What’s more, I enjoyed several of the other pieces in the collection considerably more than the title story, which did not seem exceptional compared to the other ske ...more
Ryota Kato
1 penguin leaders / level3
2 100min
3 bet, frog, sand, won, fights, stranger, jump
4 a. I'll bet five dollers she's dead by Saturday.
b. I felt that what a impolite man to said that. He has adiction of betting.
5 The frog appeared on this story. I don't like the frog, so this story made me bad feeling. But I learned betting is not good for people who cannot control their feeling from this story.
Mike Ogilvie
Dec 05, 2012 Mike Ogilvie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-fiction
This is a small collection of (very) short stories - they're almost like a set of modern fables. I'd heard of the Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County, but not any of the others. They are: The Story of the Bad Little Boy, Is He Living or Is He Dead?, The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg, and A Fable.

Surprisingly, he one story that is in the title of the collection is my least favorite. It's just okay, but the others make the collection truly great. These should be required reading in high sc
Tyler
Jun 20, 2016 Tyler rated it it was amazing
I love Mark Twain's short stories. They are like a breath of fresh air to me. I know that it comes off really cliche, but that is the best truth for me, and I'll stick by it :) This story is pretty short, but it teaches the moral lesson of watching your back to make sure that you aren't getting cheated or swindled. Great story!
Chris Munson
Dec 26, 2012 Chris Munson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County and other Sketches " is essentially a collection of humor essays that Mark Twain wrote when he was working for a newspaper in California and includes the famous Jumping Frog story. This group of essays provide a great insight into the sarcastic and snarky humor that was a hallmark of many of Clemens writing style. Ironically, the Jumping Frog story probably isn't the funniest in the collection. My personal favorite actually turned out to be the "C ...more
Brock Steger
Mark Twain is witty, timeless, occasionally dark and frequently insightful. The stories aren't all great, but they're all enjoyable to read and some of them have well-deserved reputations as classics of the form. Re-read them when your kids need to go to bed.
Squeaky
I was in Angel's Camp a couple of weeks ago AND I ran across this book in a donation pile so I decided I better re-read it. Still good stuff!
Peter Salva
Jan 30, 2016 Peter Salva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As the Twain' s first published collection, I cannot praise its light humor and quick wit enough. I haven't read anything of his in a long while, so I was very pleased to dig into this collection. There are some true gems here.
Beckie
Jun 19, 2015 Beckie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Free audiobook from SYNC. Mark Twain's prose, wit and humor is a delight to listen to while doing chores.
Edelhart Kempeneers
Een aantal heel leuk, een aantal minder. Algemeen beschouwd de moeite wel waard.
Michael Pickle
Yeah...this guy could write.
Kristen
Mark Twain's short stories are hilarious. Such a fun read!
Me
It's a collection of short stories so the quality differs.

But please do yourself a favour and don't read the last story last.
Jessica Mendes
4,06
E. Gail Chandler
Feb 01, 2016 E. Gail Chandler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From "A Dog's Tale" My father was a St. Bernard, my mother was a collie, but I am a Presbyterian.

And in "Jim Baker's Blue Jay Yarn" Twain commends the jay for his grammar but says "A jay hasn't anymore principle than a Congressman."

In his review, Wagenknecht reports that we are in the presence of genius.
Angela
Mar 24, 2014 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
An amusing little volume but The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg lost my interest. Done.
Samantha
Jan 24, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, own
Really, more like 3.5 stars.

There were some stories I REALLY liked and would give 5 stars, and other stories I didn't care for at all. Probably just a generational gap...by more than a century. I did find the last 'story' included to be very interesting. It was all about how to tell a humorous story.
Reeses
Jan 30, 2013 Reeses rated it liked it
Shelves: school
So far I only have read Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog but let me just say this, I am s lost on the clean humor. I think I need to read a few more of these to be able to get the overall message because the humor in this story was so completely lost on me. Oh well live and learn.
Carol Ann Hoyt
Much of Mark Twain's writings are not humorous to me. I think I have a problem with the run-on sentences. I lose track of what I'm reading. This is a good tale, though. It seems to me that it accurately portrays what life in this mining camp town must have been like in the late 1800's.
Jones
Dec 23, 2011 Jones rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed most of the stories, though Twain's dry whit sometimes required perseverance. My favorite shorts were "The $1,000,000 Bank Note" and "Jim Baker's Bluejay Yarn." It was interesting to learn that the story "Was it Heaven or Hell" was based on the author's personal experience.
Nsikan Akpan
Like, what? This guy was crazy.
Abby
May 23, 2012 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book were fun, and very critical of humans in their willingness to push aside others and their morality for a bit of money. Just as I would expect from Twain. We could use a bit of this brand of satire today.
Emily
Aug 31, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
The first of the readings for the class where I'm a graduate assistant (American Lit Since 1865 -- I hit the jackpot). Good example of the tall tale, and the part about the dog made me laugh.

AnnieM
Apr 21, 2013 AnnieM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some I loved, some were only ok. The one based on his war experience was my least favorite, but I think that's because it's not a war I'm particularly well versed in.
Hope
Aug 17, 2012 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun collection of Twain's short stories, well read by Norman Dietz :) Well worth a listen, keeping in mind that he uses some racial terms considered right rude today.
  • Ivan the Fool
  • Pinned
  • A Happy Boy
  • Guy Mannering
  • The Gift Of The Magi And Other Stories
  • The Case of Jennie Brice
  • The Seventh Man
  • Torn from Troy (Odyssey of a Slave #1)
  • The Luck of Roaring Camp
  • Salsa Stories (cuentos Con Sazon)
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Here in Harlem: Poems in Many Voices
  • Rumpole and the younger generation
  • The Grey Woman
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • The Cenci
  • Irises
  • A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts (Great Courses, #8470)
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

“A sincere compliment is always grateful to a lady, so long as you don't try to knock her down with it.” 9 likes
“You can find in a text whatever you bring, if you will stand between it and the mirror of you imagination. You may not see your ears, but they will be there.” 3 likes