Start by marking “Aporias: dying—awaiting (one another at) the "limits of truth"” as Want to Read:
Aporias: dying—awaiting (one another at) the "limits of truth"

Aporias: dying—awaiting (one another at) the "limits of truth" (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics)

"My death–is it possible?" That is the question asked, explored, and analyzed in Jacques Derrida's new book. Focusing on an issue that has informed his work for the last 30 years, Derrida stakes out a new frontier, at which the debate with his work must take place from now on.

Collection: Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics
Published December 1st 1993 by Stanford University Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Aporias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aporias

sologdin
Dec 24, 2015 sologdin rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
Point of departure is an incidental remark of Diderot’s regarding Seneca: “The defect of letting oneself be carried by the interest of the cause that one is defending beyond the limits of truth is such a general defect that Seneca must sometimes be pardoned for it”(2). Is the “limit” an indication that ‘truth is finite,” or that ‘truth is finished’ (1)? (All of the RSB fans of course are now chuckling about ‘IS NOT TRUTH INFINITE?’ Bakker may actually have this text in mind.)

Diderot had been com
Aaron Records
Jul 03, 2015 Aaron Records rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I chose to read this book for my final research paper in an upper level existentialism and phenomenology course at my college. We had read some of Derrida's Negotiations earlier in class, as well as some Heidegger, and I found myself very interested in aporias, Dasein, 'nothing,' and differance.

If you enjoy -- perhaps it would be better to say if you are interested in -- Heidegger's philosophy and want Derrida's opinion on Heidegger, this is the book for you to read. It is not terribly long, but
Marissa Perel
Oct 09, 2008 Marissa Perel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boundary breakers
Recommended to Marissa by: Akilah Oliver
I found this easier to read than The Gift of Death. Transcendent and problematizing in the best way - in only a way Derrida can do, he opens up the concept of the limit and the beyond, bringing the reader to a place of possibility in life, love, art, language.
Alex Obrigewitsch
Jul 02, 2015 Alex Obrigewitsch rated it liked it
An interesting investigation into the aporia or non-passage of the passage that is dying; the crossing (or non-crossing) of the limit of death that is no limit; the ever shifting border or margine dividing/uniting life and death, the proper and improper (eigentlich and enteigentlich).
Heidegger meets Derrida awaiting him at the end, just as he finds himself, and Derrida himself and the other.
Abdullah Basaran
Dec 14, 2014 Abdullah Basaran rated it it was amazing
One of the best of Derrida's corpus. [Others are Margins of Philosophy and On the Name]
Patrice
Well, sort of read...

I bought this book because it was assigned for a class I was going to take on Freedom and Mortality.
After reading the first book on Mortality I dropped the course. I was in no mood to dwell on the inevitable. Which actually was the point of the book...we deny death and act as though we're immortal. Yes! OK by me!

Although I knew Derrida was supposed to be hard I thought I'd give him a try. After all, how could a hundred page book defeat me? HA!
I made it through 11 pages! I c
Ryan
Nov 05, 2007 Ryan rated it really liked it
I recently finished this quick book (funny to call anything by Derrida "quick). He begins a treatment of what it means to "live" poststructural philosophy and takes as his starting point the idea of death and the trace. Fascinating book, but it makes you contemplate your own life.
Lorraine
Apr 23, 2011 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Interesting book. I completely agree with his take on Heidegger. I especially liked the end (but I won't spoil it for you)
Preston Carter
Preston Carter marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Alec Coallier
Alec Coallier marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
Sep 15, 2016
სალომე
სალომე marked it as to-read
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Jasper Tran
Jasper Tran marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Halogen
Halogen marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Matthew Cadenasso
Matthew Cadenasso marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Grant Simpson
Grant Simpson marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Adina
Adina rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Amari
Amari marked it as to-read
Pau Rodriguez
Pau Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Nalanda
Nalanda marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jul 22, 2016
Gary Macdonald
Gary Macdonald marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Ette
Ette marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
0 marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • Philosophy in a Time of Terror: Dialogues with Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida
  • Strangers to Ourselves
  • The differend: Phrases in dispute
  • Practical Philosophy
  • Introduction to Phenomenology
  • On the Way to Language
  • Emmanuel Levinas: Basic Philosophical Writings (Studies in Continental Thought)
  • Means Without End: Notes on Politics
  • Being Singular Plural
  • Logical Investigations, Vol 2 (International Library of Philosophy)
  • Time and Narrative, Volume 3
  • Prayers and Tears of Jacques Derrida: Religion Without Religion
  • The Intelligence of Evil or the Lucidity Pact
  • Philosophy of Art: A Contemporary Introduction
  • The Star of Redemption
  • The Writing of the Disaster
Jacques Derrida was the founder of “deconstruction,” a way of criticizing not only both literary and philosophical texts but also political institutions. Although Derrida at times expressed regret concerning the fate of the word “deconstruction,” its popularity indicates the wide-ranging influence of his thought, in philosophy, in literary criticism and theory, in art and, in particular, architect ...more
More about Jacques Derrida...

Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics (1 - 10 of 108 books)
  • The Man Without Content
  • Writing and Madness: Literature/Philosophy/Psychoanalysis (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics (Stanford, Calif.) )
  • On the Name
  • God, Death, and Time
  • Friendship
  • Selected Writings (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics) (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics)
  • Points...: Interviews, 1974-1994