Start by marking “Aporias: dying—awaiting (one another at) the "limits of truth"” as Want to Read:
Aporias: dying—awaiting (one another at) the "limits of truth"

Aporias: dying—awaiting (one another at) the "limits of truth" (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"My death–is it possible?" That is the question asked, explored, and analyzed in Jacques Derrida's new book. Focusing on an issue that has informed his work for the last 30 years, Derrida stakes out a new frontier, at which the debate with his work must take place from now on.

Collection: Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics
Published December 1st 1993 by Stanford University Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Aporias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aporias

Aaron Records
I chose to read this book for my final research paper in an upper level existentialism and phenomenology course at my college. We had read some of Derrida's Negotiations earlier in class, as well as some Heidegger, and I found myself very interested in aporias, Dasein, 'nothing,' and differance.

If you enjoy -- perhaps it would be better to say if you are interested in -- Heidegger's philosophy and want Derrida's opinion on Heidegger, this is the book for you to read. It is not terribly long, but
Marissa Perel
Oct 09, 2008 Marissa Perel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boundary breakers
Recommended to Marissa by: Akilah Oliver
I found this easier to read than The Gift of Death. Transcendent and problematizing in the best way - in only a way Derrida can do, he opens up the concept of the limit and the beyond, bringing the reader to a place of possibility in life, love, art, language.
sologdin
Point of departure is an incidental remark of Diderot’s regarding Seneca: “The defect of letting oneself be carried by the interest of the cause that one is defending beyond the limits of truth is such a general defect that Seneca must sometimes be pardoned for it”(2). Is the “limit” an indication that ‘truth is finite,” or that ‘truth is finished’ (1)? (All of the RSB fans of course are now chuckling about ‘IS NOT TRUTH INFINITE?’ Bakker may actually have this text in mind.)

Diderot had been com
Abdullah Basaran
One of the best of Derrida's corpus. [Others are Margins of Philosophy and On the Name]
Alex Obrigewitsch
An interesting investigation into the aporia or non-passage of the passage that is dying; the crossing (or non-crossing) of the limit of death that is no limit; the ever shifting border or margine dividing/uniting life and death, the proper and improper (eigentlich and enteigentlich).
Heidegger meets Derrida awaiting him at the end, just as he finds himself, and Derrida himself and the other.
Patrice
Well, sort of read...

I bought this book because it was assigned for a class I was going to take on Freedom and Mortality.
After reading the first book on Mortality I dropped the course. I was in no mood to dwell on the inevitable. Which actually was the point of the book...we deny death and act as though we're immortal. Yes! OK by me!

Although I knew Derrida was supposed to be hard I thought I'd give him a try. After all, how could a hundred page book defeat me? HA!
I made it through 11 pages! I c
Ryan
I recently finished this quick book (funny to call anything by Derrida "quick). He begins a treatment of what it means to "live" poststructural philosophy and takes as his starting point the idea of death and the trace. Fascinating book, but it makes you contemplate your own life.
Lorraine
Interesting book. I completely agree with his take on Heidegger. I especially liked the end (but I won't spoil it for you)
Abdel Moh
Abdel Moh marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
X
X added it
Jun 05, 2015
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Eugenio
Eugenio marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Bahmantamaddo
Bahmantamaddo marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Travis Grotewold
Travis Grotewold is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
j
j marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Leyla Yilmaz
Leyla Yilmaz marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
steffi
steffi marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Angelikik
Angelikik is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2015
Janel
Janel marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Lorella Paleni
Lorella Paleni marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Philosophy in a Time of Terror: Dialogues with Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida
  • Introduction to Phenomenology
  • Prayers and Tears of Jacques Derrida: Religion Without Religion
  • Responsibility and Judgment
  • Time and Narrative, Volume 1
  • The Ethics/Treatise on the Emendation of the Intellect/Selected Letters
  • Ideas Pertaining to a Pure Phenomenology and to a Phenomenological Philosophy: First Book: General Introduction to a Pure Phenomenology
  • The Writing of the Disaster
Jacques Derrida (1930-2004) was the founder of “deconstruction,” a way of criticizing not only both literary and philosophical texts but also political institutions. Although Derrida at times expressed regret concerning the fate of the word “deconstruction,” its popularity indicates the wide-ranging influence of his thought, in philosophy, in literary criticism and theory, in art and, in particula ...more
More about Jacques Derrida...

Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics (1 - 10 of 109 books)
  • The Man Without Content
  • Writing and Madness: Literature/Philosophy/Psychoanalysis (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics (Stanford, Calif.) )
  • On the Name
  • God, Death, and Time
  • Friendship
  • Selected Writings (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics) (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics)
  • Points...: Interviews, 1974-1994
  • Lessons on the Analytic of the Sublime
  • The Muses
  • The Birth to Presence
Writing and Difference Of Grammatology Specters of Marx Margins of Philosophy Dissemination