Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper

Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Short story paperback series, no. 10.
Published by Pulphouse Press (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper

Sysyphe
Ok, è Lansdale.
Ok, si tratta di Jack The Ripper. Però.. c'è un però.
'Lo squartatore rimane come simbolo di tutte le nostre paure: la paura di uno sconosciuto in una strada buia, la paura del prossimo, il cui aspetto esteriore può nascondere la bestia dentro, o anche la paura di un amico che pensiamo di conoscere; un amico che può diventare un demonio, una volta che la sua maschera si stacca e viene fuori il coltello, - Robert Bloch.
Sulla base di questa frase viene costruita questa Graphic Novel...more
Sara Thompson
Wow was the reaction I had reading this graphic novel. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about a Jack the Ripper story done in black and white with red thrown in. I have found that I have some difficulty determining features and details when the stories are black and white. That was not a problem with this book.
The drawings were clean and crisp. The lines thin to allow the details to shine. The red accented the story without being garish.
Now, of course, no graphic novel can be good if the st...more
Nick
As someone who read and enjoyed the short story which is the basis for this graphic novel, I have to say that I liked this adaptation, but didn't love it. I really wasn't thrilled with the artist's work on the story. Your tastes may differ.
Still, it provides an interesting take on the work of a true master of suspense and horror, and if you've never read the original story, you will realize how many works of modern SF and horror borrowed ideas from it, including a classic Star Trek episode.
The h...more
Zachary Grabko
Though the artwork was decent, there were multiple points were I had to re-read the same few panels, because the art style made it confusing to figure who was who. More annoying than anything that got in the way of the story's character development, which was also decent. It would of been good to see Sir Guy's character more developed, so that it could be better understood why he does what he ends up doing in the 3rd chapter of this picture novella.
Robin Hobb
Robert Bloch. Much more than just the author of Psycho. Master of the short story form.
When I was in high school, I tracked down every short story of his that I could find. Short stories are, I think, the most difficult form of story telling because you have to create the characters, paint the setting and advance the plot within just a few pages.
Robert Bloch stories do that, with grace and style.
John
An interesting, ambitious failure. I see what the creators (all of whom I admire and usually enjoy) were trying to accomplish here, but I feel as if nothing flowed properly, either from panel to panel or page to page. A story like this should come alive. We should feel the terror and the energy as the characters experience the horrific plot. Instead, too much of it feels dead on the page.
Roy Hudson
I had previously read Joe Lansdale's graphic adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror, which had been changed considerably. This makes me want to read Bloch's original story to see if it was changed for this edition. I loved the twists and artwork. The contrasting colors were a nice touch. I recommend this for fans of horror comics and Robert Bloch in general.
T.J. Blackburn
Read as individual issues.

The art work was okay. The story could have been better. I have to wonder if the original short story on which this graphic novel is based would be a better read. Definately piqued my interest in Robert Bloch. I have to try his other writing now as well as read the original short story. It was a quick fun read but nothing to get gooey about.
Samantha Brandt
Interesting book. I think my only complaint about it is that it was not long enough. First sort of Jack the Ripper book that I have ever read. Nice murder/mystery, unfortunately I had it figured out way too soon.
Nick Winterhalter
Interesting minimalist art. The kinetic feel of Jack is visceral and evocative with very few lines. The story and dialogue are unremarkable but they do the job.
Eli
Not bad for a half-hour's read. Pretty abrupt in places; could've used a bit more development of certain characters and ideas, but all right overall.
KG
Not bad! Seemed a little obvious and protracted, but it was a clever enough story.
Brent
Intriguing way to update the Ripper mythos and bring the terror into the present.
Splash Champion
The inspiration for further and more interesting Jack stories.
sristow
Thrilling! Must read.
Jan Knöpfel
Jan Knöpfel marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Jakey Fizzo
Jakey Fizzo marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Laci
Laci marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Jen Phelps
Jen Phelps marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Jack Christopher Till
Jack Christopher Till marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Ditto Shylendar
Ditto Shylendar marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jada
Jada marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Hlopa
Hlopa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Thiago
Thiago marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Robert Albert Bloch was a prolific American writer. He was the son of Raphael "Ray" Bloch (1884, Chicago-1952, Chicago), a bank cashier, and his wife Stella Loeb (1880, Attica, Indiana-1944, Milwaukee, WI), a social worker, both of German-Jewish descent.

Bloch wrote hundreds of short stories and over twenty novels, usually crime fiction, science fiction, and, perhaps most influentially, horror fict...more
More about Robert Bloch...
Psycho Psycho II Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction) Robert Bloch's Psychos Night of the Ripper