Start by marking “The Dragon Hoard” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Hoard

The Dragon Hoard

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The princess handed Fearless a black book, bound in gold, entitled 'The Hoarded Dragon.' Not to be read by the faint-hearted. Fearless read it aloud to Prince Jasleth. 'The dragon is as high as a house, with scales no sword can pierce, and a mouth so huge it can swallow an army in one gulp -- and once did just to prove it. It has nine hundred and fifty-four teeth, each thr ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 162 pages
Published April 19th 1984 by Tempo Fantasy (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Hoard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Hoard

Karl
Tanith Lee's first book. Published in 1971 when Ms. Lee was twenty three years old.

And what a delightful book this is. The book is a fairy tale containing princesses, princes, Kings, evil aunts, talking animals, sea voyages, giants, dragons, lost treasure, magic trees, mermaids, and everything but the kitchen sink - yet it works on a grand scale.

This is one of the few books by Ms. Lee that I had never read, this is where it all started for one of my most enjoyed authors for the last forty years.
S.A. Hunter
Jul 27, 2012 S.A. Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a complete 180 from Lee’s dark, twisty novels. The Dragon Hoard is a light, humorous fantasy featuring a comical, evil enchantress hell bent on making one innocent prince’s life miserable. Many of the names in the story are symbolic such as Prince Fearless (though he isn’t really), King Purple, and the enchantress Maligna. The innocent prince that Maligna is after is called Jasleth, and the first thing Maligna does to him is fire off a curse that randomly turns him into a raven for an ho ...more
Shan Sivell
May 25, 2013 Shan Sivell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic tale of a witches curse on a Prince and a Princess, and a quest, with a subversive humour that permeates the whole story. Great for any age group, and I have bought it for a number of young people in recent years.
I read it for the first time when I was about 9. The first book I ever read that wasn't Enid Blyton. And I adored it so much that I bought it from Amazon, second hand, and if I could get it as a download I would do that, too. Lee started me on my lifelong love of fantasy fict
Camille
The Dragon Hoard is a fairy tale following Prince Jasleth on his quest to win his family a fortune and maybe break the curse set upon he and his sister by the wicked witch, Maligna.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I’m making a better effort to read more of my Tanith Lee collection and I decided to start with the first novel she published. The Dragon Hoard is a children’s book, but I had fun reading it and would recommend it for fans of fairy tales (or Tanith Lee), regardless of age. Maligna pu
Hilary
Jul 17, 2011 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, juvenile
One from back when Tanith Lee had a sense of humour. If only someone would re-release 'Princess Hynchatti'!
Mary Catelli
If you are familiar with her work, I will say that this one is -- atypical. Jason and Medea dropped into a Fairy Tale world and made comic.

Prince Jasleth and Princess Goodness's seventeenth birthday party is crashed by a relative, Maligna, who curses Goodness to be so good it's silly, and Jasleth to turn into a raven one hour a day. Their parents kick Jasleth out to find his fortune while they deal with their impoverishment while Goodness keeps giving things away.

After some episodes where Jaslet
Angela
Nov 11, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VERY amusing!
It reads like an old fairy tale, with cute, witty language, and silly characters facing clever trials.
This one is definitely written for children. However, I am of the opinion that some of her best works were written for children or young adults.
Her characters are surprisingly well rounded for a children's book. The evil sorceress Maligna is somewhat inept, but has enough power and cruelty to genuinely worry the heroes. Prince Fearless is by no means actually fearless, but neither
Katharine Herndon
This was one of my very favorite books as a child. I remember it made me laugh out loud and run into the other room to share bits with my mother. I recently read it to my son, and he was not quite as enchanted or amused. It's nothing particularly original and smacks a bit of the Golden Fleece without the dark parts. Really just fun and silly, which I've got to say made for a bit of a disconnect when I tried to pick up Tanith Lee later in life. It will always have a place in my heart, though. And ...more
Seikaiha
Jul 21, 2014 Seikaiha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dug this up in my collection of Tanith Lee's out-of-print books. After many years, I can't remember why I wanted to get this.

It reminded me of George MacDonald's The Light Princess. I guess that's because I read it recently. This one is very silly and funny, and again so silly, I warn you. This book makes you often wonder, is it really Tanith Lee? I actually like the enchantress better than anyone. She's so mean, of course, but almost cute in some way. And that is at least the one thing that m
David Edmonds
This was completely a nostalgia read for me. I had this book when I was a kid, and I remembered it the other night, so went hunting on eBay and found it.

It's funny how you can remember some books quite vividly and then others seem to get lost over the years. I remembered parts of this book and seemed to remember it being a bit more of a grand adventure, but that could be the impression my younger self gave the book. As an adult, it's not a bad read, but it's nothing great either.

Tanith Lee's The
Jennifer Heise
This is, simply put, one of the greatest humorous children's fantasy books ever. I stumbled across this in our public library when I was 11 or so, and giggled myself hoarse, and still laugh at it-- but the story of the twins Jasleth and Goodness, cursed by a wicked witch on their 16th birthdays-- Goodness to be so goodness it's silly, and Jasleth to turn into a raven for an hour every day, randomly-- and how Jasleth goes off to seek his fortune, is hilarious.

The side characters, of course, make
Serena Wyndelin Ogawa
A delightful and lighthearted bedtime story appeal. The Dragon Hoard was a welcome interlude to some of my heavier reading. Jasleth and Onga were delightful to read and the imaginative world which was overflowing from the pages. It seems the sort of book I'd very much like to read aloud to children.
Richard Waddington
A very amusing and entertaining romp that my daughters and I really enjoyed reading. This is a winning combination of fairy-tale and heroic quest. There is much comedy and much drama throughout, and although slight, it packs a lot in. One of my favourite ever children's fantasy books.
Georgene
Dec 10, 2013 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Georgene by: Philip Wickstrand
Shelves: fantasy
A silly, delightful fairy tale in which a semi-enchanted prince goes off to seek his fortune and the salvation of his own kingdom. Told with humor, this is a fun little story that reads quickly. Very suitable for all ages.
P is for Polly
Wow. This might be a very early if not the first Tanith Lee book. She has written seemingly hundreds or thousands of books. Each one in a different world. As world builders go, she is one of the best. This was a perfectly innocent folk tale and not dark like some of her works. Full of wit and charm, not boring at all-- It reminded me that having characters retrace their steps on the way back from their journey will bring home how much the journey accomplished. I had to borrow this book from a li ...more
Mike
Feb 22, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
I read this one to my daughter, and we both enjoyed it. Tanith Lee usually writes some pretty dark stuff, but this -- her first novel -- is very whimsical and funny without being precious or stupid, and while it is written for children and young adults, it is clever enough to hold an adult's interest too.
Donna
Jun 15, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great story. Can't wait to read more by this amazing author, who has died recently. She left a huge body of work that will be enjoyed by many. Very glad to have found her books
Kaila
Quick and pretty funny read. Tanith Lee writing jokes is adorable. Kind of reminds me of Roald Dahl or Diana Wynne Jones.
Miri
Nov 23, 2012 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv-fiction
Very funny. It's a good adventure story, with lots of evil wizards and enchantresses, monsters, demons, mermaids, talking animals, and crocodiles who play the drums. Would be especially fun as a read-aloud, too.
Nighteye
Oct 30, 2013 Nighteye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy tale lovers
The whole, a bit silly, story is like a ordinary fairytale, think Patricia Mckillip, with bits taken from fairy tales little here and there and mixed together but I like it.
Samuel Lubell
I couldn't tell if this a failed spoof or if Lee was amusing herself by seeing what she could get away with. This is far from the lyrical quality of her other writing.
Uldene Lawyer
Sep 18, 2011 Uldene Lawyer rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 2011
a cute light hearted story about prince Jasleth who is cursed by his wicked aunt and has to go on a quest to save his kingdom
Nic
Aug 26, 2009 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-a-boooat
Very old-fashioned, very silly, very British.

Apparently, this was the author's first publication, and she was twenty-two.
CLM
Nov 14, 2007 CLM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jack
This was a big favorite in my family, although I do not think I was ever able to get into any of Tanith Lee's other books.
K. Axel
May 16, 2010 K. Axel rated it it was ok
A children's book. It didn't really say me much. I do love the more adult tales of Tanith Lee's later writing career.
Wendy Matchen
Jan 06, 2016 Wendy Matchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Fell in complete love with this when I got it in a grab bag as a kid. I've never forgotten it.
Kaylynn
Oct 06, 2008 Kaylynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Funny and enjoyable, but definitely a children's book.
Arlene Allen
I usually love Tanith Lee but this didn't do it for me.
Ali Jones
Ali Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Sabrina Edmonston
Sabrina Edmonston rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: page numbers 2 10 May 20, 2015 09:02AM
  • Grimbold's Other World
  • The Wind-Witch (Warhorse of Esdragon, #2)
  • The Magic Three of Solatia
  • Temping Fate
  • Harrowing the Dragon
  • Year of the Unicorn (Witch World Series 2, High Hallack Cycle, #1)
  • The Wizard Children of Finn
  • The Devil's Other Storybook
  • The Labyrinth
  • The Half-Blood (War of the Seasons, #2)
  • The False House (Evenmere #2)
  • A Midsummer Tempest
  • The Wave
  • Strange Toys
  • Sukey and the Mermaid
  • The Ghosts
  • Journey Between Worlds
  • Darkbeast Rebellion (Darkbeast, #2)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...