Start by marking “Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?” as Want to Read:
Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?

Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Academy Award-nominated filmmaker and director Morgan Spurlock, who volunteered his body as a guinea pig for the fast food industry in the hit documentary Super Size Me, now sets his sights even higher in Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?

Spurlock is a jittery father-to-be with a simple question: If OBL is behind 9/11 and all the ensuing worldwide chaos, then why can’t
Published April 15th 2008 by Random House (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?

Lynn
I didn't realize how little I knew about the Middle East until I read this book. wow. It's really eye opening. I was 13 on 9/11, so I had no idea that the event was connected to the Israel/Palestine conflict. I didn't know that anti-semitism was running so rampant among the fundamentalist world of Islam. Reading this book, years later, I learned so much. Tons of information presented in an interesting way. I really like how Spurlock presents all sides of the issues and humanizes things. He gets ...more
Kelly
This book was so eye-opening. I am constantly confused by what is going on in the Middle East and what exactly our government's foreign policies entail. Spurlock was just the person to enlighten me. He is humorous yet serious on the same page, and provided a wealth of background information before exploring the current situation in countries like Egypt (suddenly I do not ever want to travel there), Jordan, Palestine and Saudi Arabia. Spurlock interviews many locals - rich, poor, middle class - a ...more
Aaron Gustafson
May 11, 2008 Aaron Gustafson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: American's wanting to see how we're perceived in the Arab world
Shelves: social, politics
Morgan Spurlock delves into his search for Osama with gusto, traveling across a vast swath of the Arab world after a brief stopover in Europe. What I liked about this book, and what I like about Spurlock's work in general, is that rather than simply seeking validation of his own opinions, he thirsts for knowledge and answers to his many questions.

I haven't read his other book, but I really enjoyed Super Size Me and have found his series 30 Days quite eye-opening, so I decided to give the book a
Kelly
A surprisingly weighty read.

With the tongue-in-cheek goal of tracking down Osama bin Laden, award-winning filmmaker (SUPERSIZE ME, 30 DAYS) and expectant dad Morgan Spurlock travels through the Middle East in search of the FBI’s most wanted terrorist, in this book based on a film of the same name.

Far from serious, the “Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?” angle serves as the vehicle through which Spurlock examines some pretty weighty issues. Naturally, Spurlock begins with a biography of bin
Graham Tapper
It may seem strange to read this book when we now know exactly where Bin Laden is and was. Admittedly, when I bought it we were still yet to discover his whereabouts: I bought it as one of a number of books for future reading. By the time I came to read it the action against Bin Laden's compound in Pakistan had taken place and so even I was wondering if it was worth the effort.

It was.

Despite the title, Spurlock's "search" for Bin Laden is really only a vehicle for his real search: to discover h
David Sarkies
Sep 06, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anglo-Americans
Recommended to David by: Saw it in a bookshop
Shelves: politics
Spurlock's quest to understand the Muslim world
11 May 2012

The first this that I noticed when looking a some of the reviews of this book was that Morgan Spurlock is considere a 'poor man's Michael Moore'. I am going to have to disagree with that statement. Michael Moore has become little more than an entertainer, and while Spurlock is much the same, I afind Spurlock to be somewhat more intelligent and enlightened than Michael Moore ever was. Okay, that is an opinion and it appears that there is
Farhan
A young American documentary film-maker decides to find out what all the fuss is about global terrorism and religious fanaticism. Who better to ask than Mr. bin Laden himself ? So, he decides to go look for him. He doesn't find him, but in the end, he is much sadder, but also definitely much wiser. He travels from the U.K. to France, from Egypt to Saudi Arabia, from Afghanistan to Pakistan, speaks to hundreds of people from all walks of life, who represent scores of cultures and a multitude of r ...more
Kristina
Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about bin Laden (thanks to the gigantic Coll book I read earlier this year), but I enjoyed it. Morgan gave the information a personal spin and was heartfelt and honest in his attempts to understand the Muslim culture and bridge the gap between America and the Middle East. I liked the companion movie too.
Kristylemmon
Sep 30, 2008 Kristylemmon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in learning about middle east conflicts
Recommended to Kristylemmon by: book club
The cover and title of this book really turned me off, but I had to read it for book club. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoyed it. Morgan Spurlock has a great voice/writing style for this kind of story. He goes to various Muslim countries and interviews people of all ages and stations in life. From very high up government officials, average middle class families, to US military personnel, to the poorest refugees, he gets their take on the *War on Terror* and what it means to ...more
Robin
Having already read The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11, this was sort of a rehash of some of that. However, I liked the trips to the different countries, and asking the same questions of many different people. It really is quite sad that we can't seem to all work for peace, and making the world better for everyone. What a waste of life.

Note: I forgot to add I was most disappointed at the Christian military guy who slagged off non-believers, insinuating they were not good people. Yo
Neil Corriston
Good read, I think some people think of Spurlock as a poor mans michael moore, but I think that this comparison is not fitting. Spurlock spends most of his time trying to understand the citizens of the islamic countries and talking with some governement officials of these respective nations. One important thing that someone said in the book was that democracy is putting power in the hands of the people, some muslims reject this because they believe that power is held by God alone....This is a be ...more
Terri
What I lvoe about Mrogan Spurlock is he tries to make people think and see beyond the simple media bites. In this book, he does around the Middle East trying to understand the war on terror and its roots and effects. Getting beyond the sound bties and talking to real people about American foreign policy, social issues, religions and how we need to come together to improve things. Its a great, easy to understand and often funny way for people to try to gleam some understanding of what is going on ...more
Wiserblond
May 31, 2008 Wiserblond rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wendy
Morgan Spurlock embarks on a journey to understand the history, cultures and events leading up to 9/11 and how Bin Laden was able to accomplish the terrorist acts. He visits Europe, the Middle East and Southwest Asia interviewing religious leaders, government officials, as well as the refugees and citizens living in the chaos and turmoil. His style of writing makes what could be a drab and confusing topic easily understood.
Gabrielle
I really like Spurlock's documentary style, his sense of bold journalism, and crazy approach to finding answers to interesting questions. This book just isn't doing it for me. Emma gave it to me for my birthday, and because of this I've tried and tried to get in to it. She and I have a penchant for watching his program "30 Days" and it was a very fabulous gift idea. It just wasn't a very fabulous book.
Jessica
Although I found Spurlock's sense of humor over the top at first, by the end his approach really grew on me. I still don't know what biases Spurlock brought to the table that may have affected the telling of the story or its message, but I found the book entertaining and I learned something by reading it. I would and actually have recommended it.
Colin
Well, I hate to ruin the surprise, but Morgan doesn't find Osama bin Laden. His search, though, is pretty informative and entertaining (in Spurlock's inimitable style). The average American will probably get something out of reading it - if only a little entertainment - but I didn't find anything earth-shattering in this book.
jody
First off, I was disappointed that this was not read by Morgan Spurlock but what's his face did well. There were a few things in the book that probably should have been in the movie but for whatever reasons were left out (perhaps can be viewed in the deleted scenes). Otherwise, I think the movie covered the best of the book.
Khairul H.
Basically, Morgan Spurlock travels all over the world but mostly to Muslim countries to find out why we (Muslims), supposedly, hate them (non-Muslims). Don't get fooled by the cover and the title. It's not a humourous book but it is not a dry academically written book either. I especially recommend this book to all non-Muslims.
M
Jan 13, 2009 M is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoyed SuperSize Me or the doco about miners, also by Spurlock.
I enjoy Spurlocks light-hearted language, but I also appreciate how he manages to take a stab at his own country. It is refreshing to read the first hand account of an American who is intelligent and is actively seeking the truth through the censorship mist. Hats off to you, Sir!
Zak
A good primer about the man behind the myth. Had some funny moments considering the serious subject matter. I didn't learn a whole lot of new things but still worth the read for sure. Entertaining. And good concluding remarks on global unity, friendship, hope, etc.
Todd
I actually used an excerpt in contemporary world classroom. This book is very easy to read and overall, very well done. Although, with Osama bin Laden's death it would seem far less relevant, it is almost even better to read in hindsight.
Cynthia
This book was just too boring to get into. I liked the movie by Morgan Spurlock on "Supersize Me", but I just could not get into this book. It probably was more interesting as a documentary movie than a book.
Christopher
Candy, really. If you don't know anything about Muslims and the ideals that provide the foundation for the Islamic religion, this is an easy, informative read. A basic tale of "can't we all just get along?"
Nicole
So it's a bit out of date now, but still thought provoking. Well worth reading for a greater understanding of Middle Eastern conflict, particularly surrounding Israel and Palestine.
Florence
I'm glad he quit searching when he did. This guy has a common sense approach and we don't want to lose him to some fiery eyed religious fanatic.
Erica
This was a pretty good read. I enjoyd the book. I do reccomend his othr book - Eat this book. It was very good
Jo
Took me a while but it was worth it, funny but informative, should have been a lighter read than I made it.
Danyell
Jul 06, 2008 Danyell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a face
Recommended to Danyell by: Colin
Shelves: non-fiction-misc
This book is frightening,enlightening,hysterical and somewhat sad all at once, I def. recommend it!
Joe Bartello
Another in the Brian Moore style. Where in the World? Does anyone really care anymore?
Hamdah
I read it just a week ago, fine!
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • The Iraq Study Group Report: The Way Forward - A New Approach
  • Ounce Dice Trice
  • The Lakotas and the Black Hills: The Struggle for Sacred Ground
  • Decision at Sea: Five Naval Battles That Shaped American History
  • The Hall of a Thousand Columns: Hindustan to Malabar with Ibn Battutah
  • Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans--Sordid Secrets and Strange Tales of a White House G one Wild
  • No Right to Remain Silent: The Tragedy at Virginia Tech
  • Chomsky for Beginners
  • I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have to be Destroyed by Me: Emblems from the Pentagon's Black World
  • The Soldier and the State: The Theory and Politics of Civil-Military Relations
  • Absolutely American: Four Years at West Point
  • MIG Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko
  • The World's Most Dangerous Places
Jewish-American documentary maker best known for his documentary "Super size me" Where he only eats McDonalds food for a month.

Married to vegan chef Alexandra Jamieson, who wrote an diet book inspired by the Detox diet Morgan Spurlock had to take after eating a lot of McDonalds food for his documentary
More about Morgan Spurlock...
Don't Eat This Book Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope Supersized: Strange Tales from a Fast-Food Culture Brandwashed The Great American Detox Diet: Feel Better, Look Better, and Lose Weight by Cleaning Up Your Diet