Start by marking “The Rebirth of Witchcraft” as Want to Read:
The Rebirth of Witchcraft

The Rebirth of Witchcraft

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
One of witchcraft's most widely known figures, Doreen Valiente was a close friend of the late Gerald Gardner, generally regarded as the founder of modern Wicca. Initiated by him in the 1950s and for a time High Priestess of his coven, Doreen helped him rewrite his seminal Book of Shadows and establishwitchcraft's international reputation. In this intriguing exposé, Doreen ...more
Published May 28th 2008 by Robert Hale

To ask other readers questions about The Rebirth of Witchcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rebirth of Witchcraft

An ABC of Witchcraft by Doreen ValienteReal Witches' Year by Kate WestReal Witches' Craft by Kate WestCrone's Book of Magical Words by Valerie WorthCrone's Book of Charms & Spells by Valerie Worth
top Witchy reads
7th out of 15 books — 3 voters
Beltane by Lenora HensonThe Wicked Garden by Lenora HensonThe Witches of Snyder Farms by Lenora HensonMrs Darley's Pagan Whispers by Carole CarltonThe Soul and the Seed by Arie Farnam
Best Pagan Books
47th out of 47 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve Cran
Nov 17, 2011 Steve Cran rated it it was amazing
Doreen Valiente is a household name among the practitioners of witchcraft. She was first initiated into the craft by Gerald Gardner in the New Forrest Coven. She would later rewrite almost entirely Gardner's book of Shadows taking out many of the Crowleyisms and making the speech of the craft up to date.

Valiente has worked with such greats as Gardner, Robert Cockrane and Leslie Roberts. She gives an insiders view into the rebirth and history of the craft. Up until 1952 the practive of witchcraft
Alexia
Jun 27, 2011 Alexia rated it it was amazing
Loved it. It was the first book (without counting ABC of Witchcraft) of Doreen Valiente that I've read and my god, I love this woman!

She presents the History of Wicca from her point of view based on her experiences in life in such a way that we can clearly understand how it all happened. We can understand the social environment and all the trouble and confusion that needed to occur for Witchcraft to be where it is today.

From Gardner to Crowley with Sanders in the middle and more people you mig
Lady
Nov 25, 2015 Lady rated it really liked it
This was an excellent biographical story of the founding of modern Wicca through the eyes of one of its most significant founders - Doreen Valiente. The text varies between scholarly research to journalism to gossip and speculation. Overall it's a fascinating read.

I liked Valiente. She had a lovable mix of scholarly intelligence and gullibility. I can only assume it was due to a desire to believe the best in people and willingness to take them at their word, which came through in her writing. Sh
Patick Kyteler
Mar 27, 2012 Patick Kyteler rated it it was amazing
"The only reason for secrecy today is when witches themselves prefer not to have their identities and their private addresses revealed."
- Doreen Valiente (The Rebirth of Witchcraft, p.54)

How worthwhile is reading THE REBIRTH OF WITCHCRAFT by Doreen Valiente? I learned more about the true history of Wicca in the first five chapters than all the other books on modern witchcraft that I've read to date.

As for the content Doreen Valiente gives a compelling first person account of Wiccan history from
Azra
May 24, 2016 Azra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magick, history, culture
This is one of those books that I bought a long while ago and never got around to reading. In it, Doreen Valiente writes about the people involved in the beginnings of the modern Craft movement. Most of what she writes about is from her own experience.

This is an excellent book. The chapters are laid out in progressive manner, from the forerunners of the Craft, to Gerald Gardner and her work with him, Robert Cochrane, and Alex Sanders. It goes on to explore the then new development of Feminist W
Cinnimini
May 05, 2012 Cinnimini rated it really liked it
Shelves: wiccan
An easier look into the history of Witchcraft then Triumph, with little personal stories. Interesting.
Andy Fournier
Feb 06, 2015 Andy Fournier rated it really liked it
Doreen Valiente's autobiography is a firsthand account of the origins of modern witchcraft by somebody who was not only there, but who put a lot of it together. Her no nonsense, down to earth approach to the Craft endears her to many like me who are fascinated by earthiness of Wicca and yet repelled by the woolliness of the New Age movement. A fine introduction to the field.
Nina
Apr 28, 2016 Nina rated it really liked it
Delightful history of British witches/witchcraft in the years following WWII. As a fan of Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London" series, I was fascinated to learn about the work of a coven to ward off an invasion by Hitler during the war and of the deleterious effect on its members. Highly readable.
Gabriel Clarke
Apr 21, 2016 Gabriel Clarke rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Fascinating, in both social and magical terms. Essential reading alongside the recent biography. If I was to choose one of them, I'd go with this.
Beth
Jan 30, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
A bit more in depth and interesting that this authors other books. Highly recommended for anyone interested in learing about witchcraft from the leading author.
Dev Sodagar
Jun 28, 2015 Dev Sodagar rated it it was amazing
This is one of the essential go-to texts that founded Gardenerian Wicca. It is well written, comprehensive and accessible. If you are interested in the modern Neopagan movement then this is an essential text.
Wade Macmorrighan
If you've read this book, you don't really need to invest in Prof. Hutton's diatribe, "The Triumph of the Moon", which is essentially a work of Special Pleading wrought with innumerable Logical Fallacies.
Amyd
Sep 30, 2011 Amyd rated it did not like it
I've come to the conclusion I don't get along with the more modern books by Pagans. Again she just succeeded on getting on my nerves, breaking rules and trying to justify it. Doesn't work.
Interesting look at the beginning of the witchcraft revival in Britain. Not my favorite Doreen Valiente book but a good read nonetheless!
Katie
Apr 20, 2012 Katie added it
Shelves: textbook, paganism
Didn't make it through all of it, but it did help me write my final paper for school!
Chelle
Jun 19, 2012 Chelle rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Period!
Red
Red marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Max
Max marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Laryssa Vachon
Laryssa Vachon marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Ashleigh
Ashleigh rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Rhiannan Norwood
Rhiannan Norwood marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Chae Dee
Chae Dee marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
  • Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Witchcraft and Wicca
  • The God of the Witches
  • Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Truth About Witchcraft Today
  • The Twelve Wild Swans: A Journey to the Realm of Magic, Healing, and Action
  • Persuasions of the Witch's Craft: Ritual Magic in Contemporary England
  • Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • Wicca For One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft
Doreen Edith Dominy Valiente was an influential English Wiccan who was involved in a number of different early traditions, including Gardnerian Wicca, Cochrane's Craft and the Coven of Atho. Responsible for writing much of the early Gardnerian religious liturgy, in later years she also helped to play a big part in bringing the Neopagan religion of Wicca to wider public attention through the public ...more
More about Doreen Valiente...