To Live Again

To Live Again

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  10 reviews
What does one do when [their] personal world caves in? Bereavement, devastating illness, crushing disappointment can invade life so suddenly. Here is the intimate story of how one woman began To Live Again; in this story there are answers for every man and every woman.
Published by McGraw Hill (first published 1957)

Annette
I read this while on holidays in Cairns ages ago. It rocked my world!
Catherine Marshall is long gone, but I have always felt a real affiliation with her, her writing is so familiar, you feel like you are sitting down with her as she pours her heart out.

I am a fellow heart-pourer-outer, so Catherine Marshall, I love you.

So helpful for anyone who has suffered and struggles with the fallout, or even for those who just long for a deep and real encounter with God.

I have read so many other books by...more
Summisse
I shared a portion of this treasure with a victim of 911 who had lost a husband in the towers. Her husband died a hero saving others. To Live Again is timeless, the wisdom in this books heals, and create a path for healthy grief.
Deborah
I love Catherine Marshall's writing---I read this shortly after my dear Grandmother had died, and it was as though I was comforted and felt Grandma close by in Marshall's writing---I began to consume her books!
Susan
I found this book beautiful, and heartwarming and a joy to read.

Catherine describes unexplainable experiences stunningly, in such a way that you really understand and see what she experienced. Her life is amazing and I think that her life after her husband died was better than when he was alive (dare I say it).

This story raises questions for me about the role of women. Throughout this story Catherine aims to honour her husband's memory and her husband in everything she does and has done, she is...more
Dan Chance
When Peter died he was a young man and though he had experienced an earlier brush with death, neither he nor his wife were prepared for his death. Catherine was numb for a while but her faith began to pull her through the bereavement. First she was drawn to publish his sermons, which she did as Mr Jones, Meet the Masterand then the story of his life as A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall. She was a talented writer but as she discovered her efforts were inadequate to bring the sermons...more
Curtiss Matlock
I am currently re-reading To Live Again. I remembered reading it years ago, when devouring Marshall's books, one right after another. I knew I needed it now, having lost my own husband. I am surprised by how personally it speaks to me. I had forgotten that it chronicles Catherine's writing journey. It speaks to me mostly about her determination to follow and trust God with her life.

Catherine Marshall's writing is honest and open and carries the reader along in her life. I love it.
Misti
Would love to chat out chapter 11 Is There Life After Death with a good friend and confidant. This book was about the loss of Catherine Marshall's husband, Peter, to earthly death and her healing and growing time in the Lord in its wake.
Crystal
Oct 19, 2008 Crystal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those struggling with separation and loss, Christians, people seeking meaning in life
Shelves: christian
This book is old and a little dated/ conservative. but if you're willing to look past that, it's a really good book. Catherine Marshall lets people into her life and walks them along the road she walked to "live again" after her husband died at a tragically young age. Her faithfulness to his memory, and spreading the work that he did, has enriched the lives of many people, and watching her bloom into the talented author she later became was helpful and encouraging. The book is a testament to the...more
Danielle
Another Catherine Marshall book; took me awhile to read this one. I started it long ago. As I was a bit emotional after Peter was born, it made me a bit teary eyed in some places when she was describing learning to "live again" after her Peter passed away.
Margaret
Beautiful book. One that I would gladly read again.
Martha
Wonderful story of a widow's journey to wholeness
Jael
Jael added it
Jul 28, 2014
Rebecca Silady
Rebecca Silady marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Deb Miller
Deb Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Jun 29, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Mary Lehman
Mary Lehman marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Elaine Mazzo
Elaine Mazzo marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Andrea J Wega
Andrea J Wega marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Christy A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall Julie Something More : In Search of a Deeper Faith Beyond Our Selves