Start by marking “To Live Again” as Want to Read:
To Live Again

To Live Again

What does one do when [their] personal world caves in? Bereavement, devastating illness, crushing disappointment can invade life so suddenly. Here is the intimate story of how one woman began To Live Again; in this story there are answers for every man and every woman.
Published by McGraw Hill (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about To Live Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Live Again

Annette
Jun 19, 2011 Annette rated it it was amazing
I read this while on holidays in Cairns ages ago. It rocked my world!
Catherine Marshall is long gone, but I have always felt a real affiliation with her, her writing is so familiar, you feel like you are sitting down with her as she pours her heart out.

I am a fellow heart-pourer-outer, so Catherine Marshall, I love you.

So helpful for anyone who has suffered and struggles with the fallout, or even for those who just long for a deep and real encounter with God.

I have read so many other books by
Summisse
May 08, 2011 Summisse rated it it was amazing
I shared a portion of this treasure with a victim of 911 who had lost a husband in the towers. Her husband died a hero saving others. To Live Again is timeless, the wisdom in this books heals, and create a path for healthy grief.
Deborah
Jan 06, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I love Catherine Marshall's writing---I read this shortly after my dear Grandmother had died, and it was as though I was comforted and felt Grandma close by in Marshall's writing---I began to consume her books!
Susan
Mar 12, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
I found this book beautiful, and heartwarming and a joy to read.

Catherine describes unexplainable experiences stunningly, in such a way that you really understand and see what she experienced. Her life is amazing and I think that her life after her husband died was better than when he was alive (dare I say it).

This story raises questions for me about the role of women. Throughout this story Catherine aims to honour her husband's memory and her husband in everything she does and has done, she is
Dan Chance
Aug 19, 2012 Dan Chance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
When Peter died he was a young man and though he had experienced an earlier brush with death, neither he nor his wife were prepared for his death. Catherine was numb for a while but her faith began to pull her through the bereavement. First she was drawn to publish his sermons, which she did as Mr Jones, Meet the Masterand then the story of his life as A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall. She was a talented writer but as she discovered her efforts were inadequate to bring the sermons ...more
Karin Grice
Aug 29, 2014 Karin Grice rated it really liked it
Published in 1957, it's amazing how well this book has kept its relevance. A heart-felt but not schmaltzy or churchy account of suddenly losing a husband and what to make of the new life that follows. Anyone who has experienced the death of their beloved spouse will find this helpful support and reassurance that this existence is not all there is and that life can go on in surprising ways.
Gary B
Nov 15, 2015 Gary B rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Overall an enjoyable and entertaining read. Catherine takes us through the days and years following Peter's death and how God led her to and through her writing.

I found the chapter on life after death to be somewhat weird. Catherine discusses all sorts of situations and proofs for life after death. Whilst many of these need to be taken on faith, the overall proof for a Christian must be Jesus' resurrection and what the Bible says about it.
Misti
Apr 25, 2014 Misti rated it really liked it
Would love to chat out chapter 11 Is There Life After Death with a good friend and confidant. This book was about the loss of Catherine Marshall's husband, Peter, to earthly death and her healing and growing time in the Lord in its wake.
Crystal
Oct 19, 2008 Crystal rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those struggling with separation and loss, Christians, people seeking meaning in life
Shelves: christian
This book is old and a little dated/ conservative. but if you're willing to look past that, it's a really good book. Catherine Marshall lets people into her life and walks them along the road she walked to "live again" after her husband died at a tragically young age. Her faithfulness to his memory, and spreading the work that he did, has enriched the lives of many people, and watching her bloom into the talented author she later became was helpful and encouraging. The book is a testament to the ...more
Gillian Marsberg
I loved this book - I found it encouraged and drew me into a closer walk with God
Curtiss Matlock
I remembered reading it years ago, when devouring Marshall's books, one right after another. I knew I needed it now, having lost my own husband. I am surprised by how personally it speaks to me. I had forgotten that it chronicles Catherine's writing journey. It speaks to me mostly about her determination to follow and trust God with her life.

Catherine Marshall's writing is honest and open and carries the reader along in her life. I love it.
Danielle
Mar 12, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
Another Catherine Marshall book; took me awhile to read this one. I started it long ago. As I was a bit emotional after Peter was born, it made me a bit teary eyed in some places when she was describing learning to "live again" after her Peter passed away.
Margaret
Aug 08, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. One that I would gladly read again.
Martha
Sep 17, 2012 Martha rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-story
Wonderful story of a widow's journey to wholeness
London Ridenour
London Ridenour marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Tricia Zahner
Tricia Zahner rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Concetta Kellough
Concetta Kellough rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Hope
Hope added it
Sep 06, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Suey Nordberg
Suey Nordberg rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Huldie
Huldie added it
Aug 13, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Dona
Dona marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Frances Pullen
Frances Pullen rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Shayna Sunderland
Shayna Sunderland marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
  • Mr Jones, Meet the Master
  • First We Have Coffee
  • Thoughts of a Grasshopper: Essays and Oddities
  • Chocolate for a Woman's Soul: 77 Stories to Feed Your Spirit and Warm Your Heart
  • Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball
  • The Savage My Kinsman
  • Life Sentence
  • The Singer
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • Surprise Packages (The Company of Good Women, #3)
  • Silver Boxes: The Gift of Encouragement
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee.[1][2] She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood.[1] From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia,[1] where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.[1]

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying hi
More about Catherine Marshall...