Start by marking “A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall” as Want to Read:
A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall

A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  6,153 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Filled with humor, wisdom and loving detail, the powerful story of Peter Marshall's life has touched the hearts and minds of millions of people. It is a book about love - the love between a dynamic man and his God, and the tender love between a man and the woman he married. It is also the gripping adventure of a poor Scottish immigrant who became chaplain of the United Sta ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Chosen Books (first published November 30th 1950)

To ask other readers questions about A Man Called Peter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man Called Peter

Teresa B
I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Peter Marshall's life, beginning with his humble beginnings in Scotland where he first yearned to serve God. The story of how this impoverished young man was led to the United States, how he became a Presbyterian minister, and how he ultimately became Chaplain of the Senate is filled with illustrations of ways a loving Heavenly Father frequently answers prayers through the actions of those He puts around us--and how we need to listen for the opportunities to m ...more
Wanda
Just about everyone who loves good Christian fiction knows about the Christy series that was on television several years ago. You can now buy the whole set on DVD from Christianbook.com among other places. But before the series there was the book. (See my other recommendations on the old classics tab). And before the book, Catherine Marshall met a man called Peter.

This book is a classic that is a must read for everyone who loves a good story. I highly recommend it for every home library. I am fo
Alicia Willis
A fascinating look into the life of Peter Marshall from his wife Catherine's perspective. I was so encouraged and uplifted by the life of this amazing, sold-out-to-God man. A must-read for pastors, ministry workers, and especially pastor's wives.
Cliff
I stumbled upon the movie by the same title, which made me want to know more abut the man. I got a book of his sermons and read it cover to cover. I actually got this book because of the sermons in the back, but thought I should read the book while I was at it, movie aside.

As typical, this is a lot more complete and in depth than the movie. Yet the story remains the same and it's the story that really is remarkable. Peter Marshall was a truly great man. He didn't live nearly long enough, but li
Josiah
One of the most enjoyable biographies I have read.
Dr. Peter Marshall was an Irish Immigrant come to the United States under orders from the "Chief", God, to be a minister of the Word. In ten years God took him from a low-income student bachelor to the Chaplain of the U.S. Senate.
His wife, Catherine, writes this eloquent, endearing expose of a man viewed as a national religious leader but personally a human struggling to do God's will. As his wife and many others concluded Peter was a man of God
Betty
This is the last Catherine Marshall book I've read; again, I was not disappointed. Unlike Christy and Julie, A Man Called Peter is not a novel but a biography of her husband's life.

It is a wonderfully inspiring tale of a man called by God. A Man Called Peter is the story of a preacher, Peter Marshall, whose congregations outgrew their churches time and again; who eventually rises to the position of Chaplain of the United States Senate.

It is a love story, a deep, tender, love story, underscored b
Susan Story
Love it. This is the book that changed my life. It started me thinking about becoming an author like Catherine and it's alot about finding your CALLING. I highly recommend it!
Dave
Someone gave me this book to read, and I enjoyed it for two reasons. First, Catherine Marshall provides a glimpse into an age now long gone--the age when church was part of the institutional fabric of our culture, and how "great preachers" such as Marshall were celebrated and sought out. Second, the selection of Marshall's sermons at the end of the book are a great read. They were haunting at times--often covering insights that are just as relevant now as when they were preached over 60 years ag ...more
Laurel
Five stars, who am I to argue with history? I was thrilled to meet Peter John Marshall, the son, ten years ago. He was very nice, and spoke to me several times during the week of revivals. He quoted me as " a young teacher" [I was 35!:] who mentioned how hard it was to get the students to say the Pledge of Allegiance seriously (before 9/11). I am always affected when I read this book or watch the movie. It reaches my emotions and spirit in ways that few other books do.
Michael
Terrific biography of Peter Marshall, a Scottish-American Presbyterian pastor and preacher. This man's story is an inspiration to me of God's work in a man's life to raise him up from humble beginnings to the Chaplaincy of the U.S. Senate. It includes as well some of his sermons and prayers. In sum, it's a wonderful work about this gifted and graced man. I also enjoyed the film of the same title.
Chelsie
This book has been sitting on my shelves for years and I am so glad I finally picked it up. This book was a beautiful story of Peter Marshall, told by his wife. I was very interested to get a perspective of a preachers wife, especially one as influencial as Peter Marshall. I loved the excerpts of his sermons included in the book....many of them even brought me to tears. Great book, wonderful story!!
Poiema
The fiery Scottsman who became chaplain of the United States Senate left a wonderful legacy of written prayers. He died too young (in his 40's as I recall). This memoir is written by his wife, Catherine Marshall, who later became a distinguished Christian author. I love Peter's prayers; they are written in a unique format, almost like poetry and are as fresh today as the day they were penned.
Christine
I graduated from Agnes Scott College, from which Catherine Marshall also graduated. When I was there in the late 70's and early 80's, she was not much respected by the English department, in spite of the fact that she was a best-selling author. I think the primary reason was that she was a practicing Christian, but also there was some intellectual snobbery at work as well. I read A Man Called Peter after I was accepted but before I started my freshman year, and then reread it years later after I ...more
Chrisanne
I was first introduced to Peter Marshall through my Richard Todd phase- if you haven't seen the movie you should. But this book was great. Most books that are posthumously written by wives can be gushy. But this one wasn't. And I loved the appropriate last line.
MJ
Luckngrace
I was touched by Catherine's love for her husband. She inspired me with how she handled Peter's death and, though I read her books years ago, they came back to soothe me when my own dear husband died.
Cathy
Apr 07, 2014 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Cathy by: highschool english teacher
Shelves: christian
Read this when I was a teenager and fell in love with it. I love the work he did and I think we all lost a beautiful soul when he died. Not many people like him alive today.
Desiree Streib
Peter Marshall was an amazing man. His story along with his faith was inspiring. To see him struggle with the same things that I struggle with today was a relief; the only difference is that he was able to place it all in God's hands while that is something I am still working on.
Catherine Marshall does a terrific job of telling us Peter's life and how he went from working to support a struggling family in Scotland to become a beloved Senate Chaplain in Washington DC. Even though it states in th
Will Waller
Reading this book reminds me that greatness can come in unexpected packages. For Peter Marshall, it came as he was a regular joe who was called to be greater than he expected to be. Someone who first loved the ocean was called to be the voice of hope in the Senate. I enjoyed his wife's writing as it was funny, unique, and touching. He struck me as a man who lived fast and died young. He was someone who had purpose in his story. He did something with his life and did not languish but flourished. ...more
Kathy
A very well-written biography of a man who became a most famous preacher during his day, as well as the chaplain of the Senate. From humble beginnings to national fame, he seems to have always tried to bring people to Christ and to follow what he felt God wanted him to do. Written by his wife, this is also their love story. The appendix includes some of his most-loved sermons.
Taruia
Mar 04, 2014 Taruia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
I suppose you have to be a evangelical christian type to enjoy the constant preaching and side trips to talk about His plans. It wouldn't be accepted for any other biographical study so I am not sure why it would be tolerated here. Well, I do know ...
Mary Lisic
That was excellent. For anyone in the ministry, who has a minister father or husband, or for anyone really who has suffered serious illness or a loss, this book is for you. The whole book is like a sermon that you need but also thoroughly enjoy. The back of the book also includes some prayers and sermons of Dr. Marshall's which I will read as soon as I'm finished feeling this strange sad-happiness or happy-sadness. It's like I'm grieving and at peace all at once.
Melinda
This book was a little different than what I was expecting. I read Christy by Catherine Marshall a few years ago so when I saw this at the thrift store I thought it was a follow-up to that book. Instead it was about the life of her husband who was a fairly famous minister. I really enjoyed learning about his life and how they met and their married life and I enjoyed insights into their deep faith, they set a really nice example even if we are of different faiths. I only got a little tired of rea ...more
Pat Deoring
I read this book many years ago and loved it. Remarkable man, and a couple who answered the call to serve.
Dick Baldwin
Jul 18, 2008 Dick Baldwin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone.
Shelves: biography
The hype surrounding Peter Marshall lived on after his death due to this book and the movie made from it. Inspiring? Yes, but not in the way that would bring the heathen into the fold. Peter Marshall was no Richard Todd, but his works and story have an earthy appeal. What makes him truly inspiring and interesting is himself, not his message. He was no fraud, his heart was clear I do believe; us heathens with open minds can marvel at the life led by a Scotsman literally saved by his Lord.
Michelle Dunlap
I throughly enjoyed the novels Christy and Julie, but I have not had a chance to read A Man Called Peter. I did have a chance to watch the movie when I was younger before I knew about the book and was moved by how much this man took on in such a little amount of time. This is a biography of Catherine Marshall's husband life and his path with GOD. It show how strong his faith and personality was, but at the same time he was a humble man. This is a must read for me.
Carolyn F.
I read this in the 1980s. Interesting book about how she met her husband and they got together. He became the chaplain for the Senate. She writes about her medical problems and how they affected her marriage and her seeking help through intense prayer and calling upon the Holy Spirit. I liked that she didn't gloss over the bad parts and you really felt for Peter to have a young wife with so many problems. Tragic ending. I never watched the movie.
Natalie
It is a lovely story about Peter Marshall who became the Senate Chaplin in the 40's. Unfortunately, only about 10 pages focuses on that detail of his life, the rest is devoted to how he got there and what an amazing person he was. It was a little too devoted to how amazing he was, I would have enjoyed a more realistic look at the man and seen his faults and how, despite them he became successful. However, if you want a sweet love story this is one.
Julie
I really love Catherine Marshall's book "Christy" and now I can add this book to one that I really loved reading. I was curious about her husband, and this is a great biography. It is sincere and very touching. It was nice to read a book about a really really good person-- someone who truly sought out God and knew Him, someone who humbly touched others lives and made a huge impact.
Short Review 5 15 Oct 23, 2013 04:58PM
  • Born Again
  • Just as I Am
  • Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot (Lives of Faith)
  • Rebel with a Cause
  • Tramp for the Lord
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • Joni: An Unforgettable Story
  • No Compromise
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • Run Baby Run
  • The Light and the Glory: Did God Have a Plan for America?
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
  • Peace Child: An Unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Treachery in the 20th Century
  • End of the Spear
  • Hudson Taylor
  • Mimosa: A True Story
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
Christy Julie Something More : In Search of a Deeper Faith Beyond Our Selves The Helper

“Still, he never felt that the sermons he wrote at the cottage were good. By the time he got back to Washington to preach them, they no longer excited him. They seemed cold, lifeless. This was probably because Peter's best sermons rose out of the soil of emotion in his own heart. That emotion had to be a present, valid reality. He could not conjure it up.” 4 likes
“Like most ministers, Peter was not the best judge of his own sermons. Almost invariably when he thought he had written one of his best, the rest of us did not rate it so highly. And, when on Saturday night he was bemoaning a "terrible sermon," he could be pretty sure his congregation would think it terrific. How other people rated his sermons was a constant source of astonishment to him. "That's what keeps me humble," he often said.” 2 likes