Redemption Accomplished and Applied

Redemption Accomplished and Applied

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  885 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Murray systematically explains the two sides of redemption: its accomplishment by Christ and its application to the life of the redeemed. In Part I he considers the necessity, nature, perfection, and extent of the atonement. In Part II Murray offers careful expositions of the scriptural teaching about calling, regeneration, sanctification, and glorification.
Published December 1st 1989 by William B Eerdmans Publishing Co (first published November 30th 1954)

Adam T Calvert
Read this book, and read it again.

This is by far one of the greatest works I've ever read on the subject concerning the very heart of the Christian faith: redemption. Systematically going through the aspects of both the accomplishment of redemption and its application to the believer, Murray leaves the believer with nothing but a humble fear and an unquenchable joy because of the person and work of Christ the Savior.

The book is laid out as follows:

Part 1: Redemption Accomplished

1. The Necessity...more
Jeff Boettcher
There is a reason that this book is a theology classic. Murray explains the key concepts of the Biblical teaching of the Christians redemption by Christ with compelling clarity. I was regularly brought to tears as I read.
Sarah Ryburn
comprises a concise, reformed treatise on the person and work of Christ and soteriology. don't be fooled; this slim little book doesn't read like a text. part two: redemption applied moved me to tears.
Lorie Grover
This work is my essential non-fiction companion. I esteem it more than all others as it has delineated all aspects of redemption for me. It is a treasure. Thank you, John Murray!
Peter N.
An excellent treatment of the reformed view of salvation. He works through why Christ had to die and what he did when he died. I think his section on the extent of the atonement was pretty good. He then goes into what benefits the elect get through the crucifixion/resurrection and how we receive those benefits. He chapter on union with Christ was also excellent. It was clear union with Christ brings with it things all the benefits of salvation. Union with Christ is salvific in the fullest sense...more
Joel Carini
This book isn't long but in it Murray manages to explain all the main doctrines of reformed and biblical soteriology. Murray addresses the many objections that have been raised to penal substitution and monergistic salvation not by appealing to tradition or to mere human arguments but to the word of God. His exegesis is sound and compelling showing that the Protestant doctrine of the perspicuity of scripture still stands, that the many disagreements about soteriology among Christians do not aris...more
David Westerfield
This book is an excellent, concise theological work on Christ's atoning work on the cross and how it is applied to the life of believers to save them, from its very inception until its final consummation. It is absolutely essential for believers to understand the depths of the value of the work of Christ on the cross and how that saves them, from the first granting of faith, to our glorification with Christ at His revelation when He returns to judge the world in righteousness. If we do not under...more
Mac
Redemption: Accomplished and Applied is a statement and explanation of the work of God in redeeming people from sin and unto salvation. The book, as implied by the title, examines both the accomplishment of man’s redemption by Christ and the application of that redemption in the lives of individuals. The book is not a polemic against any particular view concerning soteriology but rather is an explanation of the Reformed doctrines of salvation. However, the author dealt with differing views at va...more
John Gardner
This short (under 200 pages) but heavy book has been on my reading list for quite a while. It's been described by many a pastor as one of the greatest books ever written on the doctrine of atonement, which is absolutely central to the Christian faith. Having finally worked my way through it, I can see why it comes so highly recommended!

The first half of the book builds a foundation for our understanding of atonement. Murray describes the necessity of redemption, and how Christ was the only One w...more
Travis Rogers
Everything revolves around the atonement.

In this book, John Murray masterfully conveys exactly what the atonement is all about. It was accomplished by Christ alone for the redemption of the Elect alone. The atonement is the precision instrument used by God to reconcile His Elect unto Himself. Murray describes the unique relationship we have with God through adoption and how this was only made possible through the blood of Christ. All the while, he consistently points out how it is our sovereign...more
Hobart
Murray's masterful as always here. This time I read it in two chunks--the Redemption Accomplished section and then the Redemption Applied. I found this a helpful way to deal with the material--a strong focus on each half, keeping the whole of the argument in my head in each sitting.

Precise, articulate and clinical in approach -- yet Murray cannot help from waxing poetic and doxological at points -- and who can blame him?

The Accomplished section is a great substitute for those too intimidated by...more
Wade
This may be the best book I have ever read on the cross of Christ. It is not easy to read at all… but, it is well worth the effort that is required to slowly read this important statement on redemption and salvation. While I might not say “This is a book that every Christian must read”, I do feel confident saying “This is a book that every Christian minister should read”. It is that important. Having a correct and Biblical theology of the cross is of central importance to any minister of the Gos...more
Les Wolf
Redemption is the on-going work of Jesus Christ the Redeemer to gather together a people unto Himself and it starts with the calling. "Believe and be saved" is a reference to the regeneration of the believer through faith and it comes by way of repentance.
John Murray (1898-1975) was considered by many to be the foremost conservative theologian of his day. This book is an indispensable handbook on the nature of redemption and the process of atonement. This book is one of only a handful of books...more
Marco
Just finished this small work by Murray. The Old Princeton runs through the veins of Murray. It is small in size, but ironically accomplishes it goal. New believers or old alike, will enrich their knowledge of God.
Heather
I definitely thought this was a good book, but for some reason I didn't find it very helpful. I'm not sure why, but it probably says more about me than about the book, maybe it just wasn't what I needed to hear at this time in my life. I liked it well enough, but I didn't really like it and yet I think it was deserving of being really liked. John Murray deals with the great themes of salvation and explains them very well. If you have questions along these lines, and if you are able to read at a...more
Kyle
Murray's Redemption: Accomplished and Applied is an amazing book that examines the nature of the atonement and the application of it in the plan of redemption. Personally, I enjoyed the second part of the book( the application) more than the first part. In the second part, Murray opens up various aspects of the plan of Redemption(calling, justification, regeneration, sanctification, etc) in a very readable and concise manner.
What was originally a series of articles, this is a concise and read...more
David Varney
Superb in clarity, style and content. Glorious topic. This is a classic!
Robby
All humanity is in league against God and therefore in league with the devil unless they are effectually called by the Holy Spirit, who is the third person of the Godhead, by the virtue of the inherent transcendent quality of Jesus, who is the second person of the Godhead, who debased himself becoming like unto sinful man, had the sins of those whom God the Father had given him placed upon him, and received divine Justice of the wrath of God toward the cosmic transgression of his infallible law.
John Alsdorf
Murray takes the very heart of the gospel, a fundamentally "simple" message--Christ lived the life we should have lived, died the death we should have died, thus effecting the salvation which none of us (in bondage to sin and death) could ever do--- and takes it apart and examines each part, showing the nuances and beauty of every piece, before reassembling it in a way that fills the reader with hope, wonder, and gratitude.
Garrett
The book managed to be both thorough and concise. It was a great explanation of the Reformed view of redemption. I particularly liked Part II, which focused on “redemption applied” by going through the ordo salutus of calling, regeneration, faith/repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, perseverance, union with Christ and glorification. I especially liked the chapters on adoption, perseverance and glorification.
Kenneth
This was a great book not a super easy book but one that deserves a re-read in my opinion. It clarifies a lot and really makes more clear what exactly happen on the cross and what that means to believers. I would recommend this book, but take your time and soak it in, there where quite a few words I didn’t know but it didn’t hinder my reading, I only had to look up a few.
James B.
This is an inquiry into the death of Jesus Christ, showing what it accomplished for the salvation of sinful men, specifically in the nature of the atonement, and how God applies that atonement to man's justification, sanctification, and eventual glorification. I found the section on the order of salvation especially illuminating.
Jesse
The book is good, but the truths it communicates are glorious and life altering. I love Murray because he uses simple language that gets out of the way and points to the Triune God who has accomplished and applied our redemption. We should all learn from his example when we tell people about God and the Gospel.
Vince
Mar 06, 2012 Vince added it
The best book that I have ever read (and read, and read..) setting forth the doctrine of Christ's redemption systematically and warmly. That sounds like a lame attempt at a back cover recommendation, but seriously one of 10 books I would require if stuck on a desert isle.
Steve Schmidt
A classic on the nature, extent and application of redemption. Not only is this book a good introduction to the theology of these issues, but also is very devotional with rich pastoral application. Every believer would benefit from reading this at least once in his or her life.
Jared Mcnabb
Classic Murray. Succinct look at the atonement and christ's work on the cross, followed by a discussion of the application of that redemptive work to the lives of believers. Perhaps Murray's best work along with "Principles of Conduct."
Joel
Feb 28, 2008 Joel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joel by: Tim Udouj
One of the three most formative books I have read (along with E. Peterson's "Christ Plays..." and J.I. Packer's "Knowing God"). Concisely shows the richness of Christ accomplishing salvation for His own and then applying it to them.
Clark
Clear, deep, and worth an annual reading.
Jordon Byers
This book is one of the most important books I've read. Anyone who is serious about getting down to the roots of their faith should read this! I consider John Murray to be one of my "Fathers of the faith"
Hannah
This has got to be one of the best books that I have read on this topic. It took me a little bit to follow where he was going and the structure he uses, but once I got it, it was amazing. Very good.
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God (Theology of Lordship)
  • Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • Christianity and Liberalism
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • The Sovereignty of God
  • Systematic Theology
  • How Long, O Lord?
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant)
John Murray was a Scottish-born Calvinist theologian who taught at Princeton Seminary and then left to help found Westminster Theological Seminary, where he taught for many years.

Murray was born in the croft of Badbea, near Bonar Bridge, in Sutherland county, Scotland. Following service in the British Army in the First World War (during which he lost an eye, serving in the famous Black Watch regim...more
More about John Murray...
Christian Baptism The Imputation of Adam's Sin Principles of Conduct: Aspects of Biblical Ethics Covenant of Grace The Epistle to the Romans: The English Text with Introduction, Exposition and Notes