Start by marking “Redemption Accomplished and Applied” as Want to Read:
Redemption Accomplished and Applied

Redemption Accomplished and Applied

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  1,770 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Murray explores the biblical passages dealing with the necessity, nature, perfection, and extent of the atonement, and goes on to identify the distinct steps in the Bible's presentation of how the redemption accomplished by Christ is applied progressively to the life of the redeemed.
Published December 12th 1955 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published November 30th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption Accomplished and Applied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption Accomplished and Applied

Samuel Parkison
Feb 04, 2017 Samuel Parkison rated it really liked it
This book is amazing. Murray does a great job at offering the bare bones arguments for definite atonement, but more importantly, he does so in a deeply doxological way. This is theology at its finest because it isn't stoic, it's exuberant. I'm so glad that at the cross, Christ didn't merely die to make salvation possible, he died to save.
Adam T Calvert
Jul 19, 2010 Adam T Calvert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
Read this book, and read it again.

This is by far one of the greatest works I've ever read on the subject concerning the very heart of the Christian faith: redemption. Systematically going through the aspects of both the accomplishment of redemption and its application to the believer, Murray leaves the believer with nothing but a humble fear and an unquenchable joy because of the person and work of Christ the Savior.

The book is laid out as follows:

Part 1: Redemption Accomplished

1. The Necessity
Jeff Boettcher
Mar 15, 2012 Jeff Boettcher rated it it was amazing
There is a reason that this book is a theology classic. Murray explains the key concepts of the Biblical teaching of the Christians redemption by Christ with compelling clarity. I was regularly brought to tears as I read.
David Westerfield
Jul 28, 2011 David Westerfield rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent, concise theological work on Christ's atoning work on the cross and how it is applied to the life of believers to save them, from its very inception until its final consummation. It is absolutely essential for believers to understand the depths of the value of the work of Christ on the cross and how that saves them, from the first granting of faith, to our glorification with Christ at His revelation when He returns to judge the world in righteousness. If we do not under ...more
Simon Wartanian
Jan 27, 2017 Simon Wartanian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. A very well written and argued case for the Reformed understanding of the ordo salutis (order of salvation) and historia salutis (history of salvation). It was very well biblically argued, in my opinion and it was a very enjoyable read.

I liked the fact how he went toe-to-toe and argued for the controversial doctrine of Limited Atonement, or better called--Particular Redemption, among other doctrines.

The book is very well written and not hard to understand. It is very quotable, which shows
Thomas
An excellent read-through of the fundamentals of reformed theology. I especially appreciated the chapter on Union with Christ.
John Gardner
Aug 29, 2010 John Gardner rated it it was amazing
This short (under 200 pages) but heavy book has been on my reading list for quite a while. It's been described by many a pastor as one of the greatest books ever written on the doctrine of atonement, which is absolutely central to the Christian faith. Having finally worked my way through it, I can see why it comes so highly recommended!

The first half of the book builds a foundation for our understanding of atonement. Murray describes the necessity of redemption, and how Christ was the only One w
Mac
Jan 29, 2012 Mac rated it it was amazing
Redemption: Accomplished and Applied is a statement and explanation of the work of God in redeeming people from sin and unto salvation. The book, as implied by the title, examines both the accomplishment of man’s redemption by Christ and the application of that redemption in the lives of individuals. The book is not a polemic against any particular view concerning soteriology but rather is an explanation of the Reformed doctrines of salvation. However, the author dealt with differing views at va ...more
Christopher Goins
Oct 23, 2014 Christopher Goins rated it it was amazing
This was the most difficult theology book that I've read; and I will do it again: first, for sheer enjoyment; and second, for a thorough understanding of the text. John Murray is the kind of author that you will have to read at least three times to understand what he's saying. But his writing is, although difficult, immensely edifying, and beneficial to Christ's Church.

Part One "Redemption Accomplished" is much more difficult to read than Part Two "Redemption Applied."

One of the things about New
Wade
Jul 08, 2010 Wade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
This may be the best book I have ever read on the cross of Christ. It is not easy to read at all… but, it is well worth the effort that is required to slowly read this important statement on redemption and salvation. While I might not say “This is a book that every Christian must read”, I do feel confident saying “This is a book that every Christian minister should read”. It is that important. Having a correct and Biblical theology of the cross is of central importance to any minister of the Gos ...more
Joel Carini
Aug 07, 2011 Joel Carini rated it it was amazing
This book isn't long but in it Murray manages to explain all the main doctrines of reformed and biblical soteriology. Murray addresses the many objections that have been raised to penal substitution and monergistic salvation not by appealing to tradition or to mere human arguments but to the word of God. His exegesis is sound and compelling showing that the Protestant doctrine of the perspicuity of scripture still stands, that the many disagreements about soteriology among Christians do not aris ...more
Travis Rogers
Sep 03, 2012 Travis Rogers rated it it was amazing
Everything revolves around the atonement.

In this book, John Murray masterfully conveys exactly what the atonement is all about. It was accomplished by Christ alone for the redemption of the Elect alone. The atonement is the precision instrument used by God to reconcile His Elect unto Himself. Murray describes the unique relationship we have with God through adoption and how this was only made possible through the blood of Christ. All the while, he consistently points out how it is our sovereign
Ken Mcafee
Sep 13, 2016 Ken Mcafee rated it it was amazing
A thorough, Biblical, reformed treatment of the doctrines of redemption. A must read for any student of reformed theology, and recommended for all the rest...
Hobart
Nov 11, 2012 Hobart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Murray's masterful as always here. This time I read it in two chunks--the Redemption Accomplished section and then the Redemption Applied. I found this a helpful way to deal with the material--a strong focus on each half, keeping the whole of the argument in my head in each sitting.

Precise, articulate and clinical in approach -- yet Murray cannot help from waxing poetic and doxological at points -- and who can blame him?

The Accomplished section is a great substitute for those too intimidated by
Peter N.
Aug 13, 2010 Peter N. rated it really liked it
An excellent treatment of the reformed view of salvation. He works through why Christ had to die and what he did when he died. I think his section on the extent of the atonement was pretty good. He then goes into what benefits the elect get through the crucifixion/resurrection and how we receive those benefits. He chapter on union with Christ was also excellent. It was clear union with Christ brings with it things all the benefits of salvation. Union with Christ is salvific in the fullest sense ...more
Jon Cheek
Jan 19, 2015 Jon Cheek rated it really liked it
Murray’s work on redemption is firmly rooted in Scripture and is a classic treatment of the subject for good reason. His argumentation on the Accomplishment of Redemption (part one) proves to be a helpful explanation and argumentation for understanding the atonement. Murray’s argumentation for limited atonement is not fully satisfactory, lacking significant positive argumentation from Scripture in defense of his view. Part two (the application of redemption) does not involve as much deep theolog ...more
Les Wolf
Mar 24, 2014 Les Wolf rated it it was amazing
Redemption is the on-going work of Jesus Christ the Redeemer to gather together a people unto Himself and it starts with the calling. "Believe and be saved" is a reference to the regeneration of the believer through faith and it comes by way of repentance.
John Murray (1898-1975) was considered by many to be the foremost conservative theologian of his day. This book is an indispensable handbook on the nature of redemption and the process of atonement. This book is one of only a handful of books
Heather
Dec 15, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
I definitely thought this was a good book, but for some reason I didn't find it very helpful. I'm not sure why, but it probably says more about me than about the book, maybe it just wasn't what I needed to hear at this time in my life. I liked it well enough, but I didn't really like it and yet I think it was deserving of being really liked. John Murray deals with the great themes of salvation and explains them very well. If you have questions along these lines, and if you are able to read at a ...more
Kyle
Aug 29, 2009 Kyle rated it really liked it
Murray's Redemption: Accomplished and Applied is an amazing book that examines the nature of the atonement and the application of it in the plan of redemption. Personally, I enjoyed the second part of the book( the application) more than the first part. In the second part, Murray opens up various aspects of the plan of Redemption(calling, justification, regeneration, sanctification, etc) in a very readable and concise manner.
What was originally a series of articles, this is a concise and read
Deb Kesecker
Jul 19, 2014 Deb Kesecker rated it really liked it
Shelves: seminary-course
This book will remain in our library as it is sure to be used as an ongoing reference for many years to come. John Murray did a good job of explaining the redemptive work of Christ in ways I had not encountered previously. However, it required a great deal of effort to comprehend. The combination of the writing style of the author, the language of the period used, font size and sentence structure left me doing a good bit of re-reading to make certain that I understood what the author was stating ...more
Corey Hampton
Apr 15, 2015 Corey Hampton rated it really liked it
Great book. I highly recommend it, especially the chapter on union with Christ.

"There is no truth, therefore, more suited to impart confidence and strength, comfort and joy in the Lord that this one of union with Christ. It also promotes sanctification, not only because all sanctifying grace is derived from Christ as the crucified and exalted Redeemer, but also because the recognition of fellowship with Christ and the high privilege it entails incites to gratitude, obedience, and devotion." (pg.
Robert
All humanity is in league against God and therefore in league with the devil unless they are effectually called by the Holy Spirit, who is the third person of the Godhead, by the virtue of the inherent transcendent quality of Jesus, who is the second person of the Godhead, who debased himself becoming like unto sinful man, had the sins of those whom God the Father had given him placed upon him, and received divine Justice of the wrath of God toward the cosmic transgression of his infallible law.
Garrett
Aug 04, 2011 Garrett rated it really liked it
The book managed to be both thorough and concise. It was a great explanation of the Reformed view of redemption. I particularly liked Part II, which focused on “redemption applied” by going through the ordo salutus of calling, regeneration, faith/repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, perseverance, union with Christ and glorification. I especially liked the chapters on adoption, perseverance and glorification.
Mingzhi
Jan 18, 2015 Mingzhi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
這本應該說是改革宗信仰救恩論的經典書籍,也是西敏神學院系統神學救恩論課上的必讀書籍。多年前囫圇吞棗地讀過一遍,現在重新再讀,又重溫學習了不少。

本書分為兩部分,前一部分討論了基督耶穌在救贖歷史中的完成的工作(Historia Salutis),後半部分則討論了改革宗信仰對救恩次序的理解(Ordo Salutis or "order of salvation" - 有效的呼召effectual calling,重生regeneration,信心與悔改faith and repentance,稱義justification,得成為上帝的兒女adoption,成聖sanctification,信徒的堅忍perseverance,與基督的聯合union with Christ,及得榮glorificaton)。

本書可以幫助讀者對聖經的救恩方面的教導增加了解。對於帶領查經的團契小組組長們跟教牧來說,在查考跟救恩論有關的經文時,這也是一本非常好的參考書籍。對於英語是非母語的讀者來說,本書在某些地方可能會讓某些讀者感覺稍微有點吃力。
John Alsdorf
Sep 07, 2011 John Alsdorf rated it it was amazing
Murray takes the very heart of the gospel, a fundamentally "simple" message--Christ lived the life we should have lived, died the death we should have died, thus effecting the salvation which none of us (in bondage to sin and death) could ever do--- and takes it apart and examines each part, showing the nuances and beauty of every piece, before reassembling it in a way that fills the reader with hope, wonder, and gratitude.
Matt Anderson
In this book, Murray walks through the theological steps towards redemption (according to his systematic theology). The order of application (according to this book) is:

-Effectual Calling
-Glorification
Rachel
Nov 22, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I did not give this the time it was due, but maybe one day I will revisit it. Although a little confusing at times, it was a through and helpful read. Murray does a great job imparting truth and explaining difficult, controversial doctrines. My favorite part was the continual emphasis on God's grace. Oh what grace He has shown us in redeeming us!
Joey
Nov 18, 2015 Joey rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal! This is one of the best theological books I have ever read. If you have question on how the redemption works, or on the application of this redemption in any aspect of calling, regeneration, faith and repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, perseverance, union with Christ, or glorification, this is the book to reference!
Marie
Oct 23, 2015 Marie rated it liked it
This is an incredibly challenging read! While I didn't always appreciate Murray's writing style, he does manage to boil down some major subjects such as atonement. Still, I don't recommend reading this alone; I'm reading it as part of a class and I definitely would not have finished it without pastoral oversight and discussion with others.
Jesse
Feb 08, 2012 Jesse rated it it was amazing
The book is good, but the truths it communicates are glorious and life altering. I love Murray because he uses simple language that gets out of the way and points to the Triune God who has accomplished and applied our redemption. We should all learn from his example when we tell people about God and the Gospel.
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Systematic Theology
  • Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments
  • The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Christianity and Liberalism
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 2: God and Creation
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • The Plan of Salvation
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
John Murray was a Scottish-born Calvinist theologian who taught at Princeton Seminary and then left to help found Westminster Theological Seminary, where he taught for many years.

Murray was born in the croft of Badbea, near Bonar Bridge, in Sutherland county, Scotland. Following service in the British Army in the First World War (during which he lost an eye, serving in the famous Black Watch regim
More about John Murray...

“With all these considerations in view, the order in the application of redemption is found to be, calling, regeneration, faith and repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, perseverance, glorification. When this order is carefully weighed we find that there is a logic which evinces and brings into clear focus the governing principle of salvation in all of its aspects, the grace of God in its sovereignty and efficacy. Salvation is of the Lord in its application as well as in its conception and accomplishment.” 2 likes
“The glory of the cross is bound up with the effectiveness of its accomplishment.” 1 likes