Start by marking “Clipping Through: One Mad Week In Video Games” as Want to Read:
Clipping Through: One Mad Week In Video Games

Clipping Through: One Mad Week In Video Games

Get up close with suits, madmen, dear friends, industry heroes (and gnawing personal terror), in some of Leigh Alexander's boldest and most intimate writing yet. The veteran game journalist takes you inside the curious experience of life and work in video games -- through the lens of one week spent at the incredible Game Developers Conference.

Available in epub, mobi (kindl
Published August 7th 2014 by Gumroad, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Clipping Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clipping Through

Kevin Fanning
Oct 30, 2014 Kevin Fanning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Maaan, I loved this. Leigh basically just opens a vein and pours it out on the table like: OK this is what GDC is like.

As someone who existed on the periphery of the video games industry for ~10 years, part of the video games industry! but also separate, not really part of the video games industry, I felt this very deeply. This emotional pull but this spiritual hesitation. I love these people but what are we all doing and does any of it matter. And: the sense that this "video games" thing as it
kat
Dec 12, 2014 kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Come for the perceptive analysis of video game culture and the great writing style; stay for the revelations about the subtext of Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid.
David
Mar 31, 2015 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: games-computer
The book didn't do much for me. But I did like her description of those free-but-monetized-type games (e.g. FarmVille, et al.):
"tactile, visual tantalizing plenitude hooks you into the joy-loops of getting, having, building, clicking. And then slowly, the friction. It comes on slowly, like something you don't immediately realize is hot enough to burn you. Until you're noosed, and $10 would make such a difference in bringing back that sense of plenitude, of bright, jingly bouncing doobers, of adv
Ninakix
Jan 19, 2015 Ninakix rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2015
I put off reading this because I didn't think I would enjoy it. But I was wrong. This is a really interesting personal reflection on a trip to GDC, but also just a reflection on working and making in general. If you're a fan of video games you should definitely read this, but even if you're not, there are parts you will enjoy and learn from. I particularly enjoyed her description of why she's starting her new consulting company, Agency, discussion of tools, and finally, weirdly, discussion of ...more
Craig
Mar 08, 2015 Craig rated it it was amazing
It was really interesting to read about my first GDC but from a different perspective. I love Leigh's writing and I think she really captured the madness of GDC along with the elation of being with so many like-minded, intelligent people. I hope she writes about this year! I thought reading this would help me get over the blues of not going this year, but it has strengthened my need to go next year!
Mark
Oct 12, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
A fast paced gonzoesque travelogue of Leigh's most recent visit to GDC, which provides a fascinating view of the games industry, both big and small. It manages to capture the feel of a vast community that only congregates once a year and the pressure to fit it all in. It also deals with the challenges of growing into adulthood and accepting where you find yourself. A particular highlight is how she discusses San Francisco's poverty in the style of a text based adventure game.
Ethan
Mar 15, 2015 Ethan rated it it was amazing
"Clipping Through" is easily the most important book about the games industry one can think of. A visceral, short read, it gives us the opportunity to see the industry from one strata close to the developers and Money Men then we can normally - we're still outsiders looking in, but Leigh Alexander can show us a hell of a lot more than we're supposed to see. Her honesty and excellent word-smithing make this a must-read for anyone thinking about joining the crazy, crazy video games industry.
Alexia
Aug 08, 2015 Alexia rated it it was amazing
I can't quite describe why I loved the book so much. A big part of it was Leigh's honesty and frank way of writing. There were so many parts of the book that actually moved me, the last two sentences of the book being a great example. Leigh's personality aside, this was also a great look at the GDC. There was lots of interesting trivia about developers that I happen to really care about, and through Alexander's writing I felt as if I was there too. Really great book!
Ryan Gordon
May 08, 2015 Ryan Gordon rated it really liked it

I dug this book. Leigh's got a beautiful style, and much of this book is about people and events I've bounced into before, so it felt personal in a pleasant way. Fast read, totally worth the hour or so it takes to plow through it. Definitely read if you're a game developer or critic that's done GDC.

Kelly
Oct 30, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
An intensely personal, stream-of-conscious-type travelogue covering the inner thoughts of a game journalist during GDC. I enjoyed her insights into the video game industry, developers, and human nature in relation to gaming.
Sophie Lagacé
Feb 06, 2015 Sophie Lagacé rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism, non-fiction
Leigh Alexander's writing style is excellent, and made this book interesting even to someone like me, at the periphery of the digital gaming culture.
Alex Camilleri
Jan 28, 2015 Alex Camilleri rated it liked it
Really nice book, easy to read and follow (even more if you were part of the GDC in the past years). Quite personal at times, I wish it explored more the subtext of Metal Gear Solid :)
Sam
Dec 28, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
Very specific, personal book. I like Leigh Alexander's writing a lot - hope to read more long-form stuff from her.
Ango Bango
Jun 10, 2015 Ango Bango rated it it was amazing
honestly one of the most fascinating, revealing, and compelling things I have read in years. I ended up reading it in a single sitting, much to the detriment of my sleep.
Chris Chinchilla
Chris Chinchilla rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Dominik
Dominik rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2015
Dan Brook
Dan Brook rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Lorenzo Pilia
Lorenzo Pilia rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Matt Webb
Matt Webb rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Nicholas Quah
Nicholas Quah rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Chad
Chad rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Naseer Alkhouri
Naseer Alkhouri rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Cillian
Cillian rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Andreas Lanjerud
Andreas Lanjerud rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Ben Hall
Ben Hall rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Brian Lindberg
Brian Lindberg rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Simon Carless
Simon Carless rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
Susan Rose
Susan Rose rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »