Start by marking “Carl's Christmas” as Want to Read:
Carl's Christmas

Carl's Christmas (Good Dog, Carl #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  48 reviews
A family's faithful dog and the baby left in his charge share an adventure-filled Christmas Eve.
Published October 1st 1992 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Carl's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carl's Christmas

Jenna Kennedy
This is one of my favorite books from when I was growing up. It was given to me as a gift and I still have it and read it to this day! Alexandra Day centered this book on the models of her own dogs who helped her create such realistic illustrations which portray emotion and action. Carl and baby go on yet another adventure, and this time it goes further than just their home. They go outside into the blustery weather where they encounter a man dressed as Santa and lots and lots of snow. The cool ...more
Julia Brumfield
A beautiful book that is primarily a picture book that follows a Rottweiler that is left to take care of a family's baby while the parents go out (I'm none too happy with that idea)....

Basically we follow from page to page as Carl takes the baby out without a coat but a hat to run some errands around Christmas. He does a generous act and then when they get home settles down when there is a ruckus out the door that he must attend to. Who can it be? You will have to get the book to check out alt
Cherise
There is only one page with words, the rest of this book is told by the wonderful pictures. I love Carl books and my son and I really enjoyed reading this together. We laughed at the pictures and thoroughly enjoyed the "story."
Meg McGregor
It just wouldn't be the Christmas season without visiting Carl and Maddie and sharing in their adventures on Christmas Eve!

This is primarily a picture book so little ones who cannot read can still read the story all by themselves.

But it is so much more fun when reading with someone else, isn't it?

Carl is such a great babysitter he could probably put me out of business.

Good thing he lives where there is snow and I live in Las Vegas.
Linda Lipko
Loyal to his family, Carl's owners leave him alone to watch the baby. If you can get past the idea that adults would leave a baby with a dog, this is a delightful tale of the meaning of Christmas.

Carl takes the baby outside on Christmas Eve as they visit stores, donate to the poor and bring home animals in need of shelter. Santa visits while the baby and the new found friends sleep in front of the fire place.

The illustrations are lovely.
John
This almost wordless picture book has great illustrations that makes the reader laugh and wonder. A great section durring christmas time, this story is great for less-sure readers. The story only has one sentence on the first page and then the rest is told for thru the pictures. The illustrations show a dog being left in charge of a baby during the Christmas season and the dog and baby go on an adventure through the streets.
Amy Rae
Let's be real here: is there a single Carl book that isn't a delight to look at? (I'd say "read," but these books are nearly textless, as you ought to know--if you don't, clearly you need to go out and read one.) The absurdity of parents leaving their dog in charge of the baby, and all the adventures that ensue, makes for a charming, beautifully illustrated story.
Kaethe
Now I would never leave a toddler in the care of a dog, even a very clever dog, except possibly in a back yard that was fenced in, and only then for thirty seconds. Probably. Otherwise they'd eat all the dog's food and drink all its water. Still, in the world of the highly improbable, these are fun wordless stories.
Dolly
Dec 24, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Gorgeous illustrations create a fun, almost wordless, story that is silly, yet a bit alarming for a parent to read. The dog, Carl, acts as a guardian for the little girl and they have a fun Christmas adventure. Having a dog act as a babysitter makes for a funny story, but it's not something a parent can laugh at lightly.

Still, the dog was adorable and I loved the retro feel of the book. We enjoyed reading this book together, even if I felt the need to discuss with our girls the utter wrongness o
Jae
Lovely illustrations and a nice way to tell a story but smh at leaving your BABY I'm the care of your DOG?? A+ great parenting 10/10 would recommend?
Joolissa
A beloved Classic Christmas book from my childhood! It's almost wordless but words would be extraneous in this beautifully painted tale. The story is completely unbelievable considering parents leave a dog in charge of a baby and then the baby rides the dog all over town and no one sees fit to stop them, but tales like this happen in so many fantasy books and no one batts an eyelash at it. I think it is the realistic style of illustration and lack of "once upon a time" that throws the suspension ...more
Anna J.
Carl’s Christmas by Alexandra Day is entirely wordless except for its title and first page. It is a story about a mom and dad leaving their baby home with their dog. The dog decides to take the baby around to different parts of the city to show him the delights of Christmas before taking the baby home. The baby falls asleep and Santa comes and the dog ends up being the Christmas present for the baby. Though beautifully illustrated, the book was confusing in that I did not understand what it was ...more
ErynnMarie
Like all of the Carl books that I've read, the story is sub-par (neglectful parents have their shortcomings made up for by a super attentive Rottweilier). It's cute in some ways, but not if you think about it too hard (like I just did). But I'm a sucker for beautiful illustrations, and these books have some of the best I've seen. Every page is a cornucopia of beautiful scenery and top-notch watercolor-manship. I would collect these.
*This was my first Carl book, and by far my fav so far. Probably
Pam
Carl books by Alexandra Day are all gorgeously illustrated and I enjoy that fact that they feature a well behaved loving Rottweiler as I adore these stable proud dogs and abhor the bad reputation they have gotten. I like how Alexandra Day lets the illustrations tell the story with few or no words. Despite all the positives, I really dislike the premise that these books are built on that a dog can be left along to care for a child. Children are unpredictable and often physically cruel, and for th ...more
Amie Anderson
Carl's Christmas is an almost wordless book about a dog who takes care of his human baby sister when her parents go out on Christmas Eve. He takes her all over town, and after they return home, he witnesses Santa's arrival. I thought the book was rather strange in that the baby's parents left her with the dog; it was just too unrealistic for my taste. The genre is wordless books and the only theme I could think of was Christmas. The book is probably best suited for children ages 4-7.
Gabriella
As a child I always loved "reading" Alexandra Day's wordless picture books. Each book took me on a new adventure with Carl and the baby. Growing up I had a rottweiler so the books were so much more personal to me. As the author's pictures took me from page to page I was able to let me imagination take hold of me, since there were no words I would fill in the blanks. I was amazed at how the author could make me laugh without saying a thing.
Sadie Vargas
This book is very good also. This book only has about 5 words in it which is in the begging when the parents tell the dog to take car of the baby while they are gone. The rest if for your imagination to go wild on. For each picture you get to put your own words down and make the story come alive. In the end they are visited by Santa and they are all safe and sound in there own beds by the time the parents get back.
Chloe Dryke
I love all the Carl books, my mom used to make up stories along with the pictures when we would "read" them together. The illustrations in this book are beautiful. Carl must watch his human baby and they spend the day roaming around stores. This book would be great to have students to write their own narrations to as it has few words.
Anna
I generally dislike the premise of parents abandoning their children, as well as the idea that it's OK to leave young children unsupervised with animals. However, if you are able to set that aside for a moment to enjoy the magic of this book, it is truly lovely.
This is my favorite of the Carl books that I've read so far.
Lauren
This picture book is wonderful for teaching inferring or different points of view. The book begins with dialogue and leaves the reader with the opportunity to create the rest of the story based on the pictures alone. The Carl collection is one in which every teacher should stock up on.
Katie Beck
This is a great book. I think that this would be a good book to read to children to help them practice infering since there are so few words. Children could be asked to infer why Carl did certain things or where they thought Carl was taking the baby and why.
carl  theaker

I'm pretty sure I got this book for Christmas because my
name is Carl... A short pictorial about ever faithful Carl
taking care of 'his' baby. A small, though solid, book
which we put out every year with the Christmas decorations.
Melanie
A little strange having a dog babysit while Mom and Dad visit Grandma and attend church on Christmas. But the kids were delighted with the idea. It was pretty cute. Love that there's lots of pictures to tell the story.
Amy
Lovely illustrations and lots of fun. My two year old loves it.

But, wisdom of letting a dog take care of your baby aside, what's going on at Grandma's house on Christmas Eve that the baby isn't welcome there?
Rachel C
Love, love, love this book. I have "read" this one to my kids every year. There is very little text (only the very first page), so it is fun to make up the story as you go. Sweet and beautifully illustrated.
Tessie
The entire Carl series is my childhood in a nutshell. I have seriously fond memories of my dad reading them to me and making up stories for each page.
Marita
Anohter family favorite form the time before my kids could read. WE used to make up our own words to go along the Carl books. WE all loved them.
Maren Prestegaard
seems slightly illegal yet sweet the way the parents leave the baby with the dog all the time.
love the illustrations and kinda want to adopt Carl.
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Fraidyzoo
  • The Trees of the Dancing Goats
  • Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • Angelina's Christmas
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Christmas in Noisy Village
  • The Jolly Christmas Postman
  • Day Dreamers: A Journey of Imagination
  • The Nutcracker
  • Cross-Country Cat
Alexandra Day is the pseudonym for Sandra Louise Woodward Darling. She is the author of Good Dog, Carl and the rest of the beloved Carl books, including Carl Goes Shopping, Carl’s Christmas, Carl’s Birthday and Carl’s Snowy Afternoon. Darling was born in 1941 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to a large and close-knit family. Painting was a popular family recreation, and almost every family excursion included ...more
More about Alexandra Day...

Good Dog, Carl (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Good Dog, Carl
  • Carl Makes a Scrapbook
  • Carl's Birthday
  • Carl's Sleepy Afternoon
  • Carl's Summer Vacation
Good Dog, Carl Carl Goes Shopping Carl's Afternoon in the Park Carl's Birthday Carl's Masquerade