Carl's Christmas

Carl's Christmas (Good Dog, Carl #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A family's faithful dog and the baby left in his charge share an adventure-filled Christmas Eve.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published October 1st 1992 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Carl's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carl's Christmas

Cherise
There is only one page with words, the rest of this book is told by the wonderful pictures. I love Carl books and my son and I really enjoyed reading this together. We laughed at the pictures and thoroughly enjoyed the "story."
Kaethe
Now I would never leave a toddler in the care of a dog, even a very clever dog, except possibly in a back yard that was fenced in, and only then for thirty seconds. Probably. Otherwise they'd eat all the dog's food and drink all its water. Still, in the world of the highly improbable, these are fun wordless stories.
Dolly
Dec 24, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Gorgeous illustrations create a fun, almost wordless, story that is silly, yet a bit alarming for a parent to read. The dog, Carl, acts as a guardian for the little girl and they have a fun Christmas adventure. Having a dog act as a babysitter makes for a funny story, but it's not something a parent can laugh at lightly.

Still, the dog was adorable and I loved the retro feel of the book. We enjoyed reading this book together, even if I felt the need to discuss with our girls the utter wrongness o...more
Julia Grace
A beloved Classic Christmas book from my childhood! It's almost wordless but words would be extraneous in this beautifully painted tale. The story is completely unbelievable considering parents leave a dog in charge of a baby and then the baby rides the dog all over town and no one sees fit to stop them, but tales like this happen in so many fantasy books and no one batts an eyelash at it. I think it is the realistic style of illustration and lack of "once upon a time" that throws the suspension...more
Anna J.
Carl’s Christmas by Alexandra Day is entirely wordless except for its title and first page. It is a story about a mom and dad leaving their baby home with their dog. The dog decides to take the baby around to different parts of the city to show him the delights of Christmas before taking the baby home. The baby falls asleep and Santa comes and the dog ends up being the Christmas present for the baby. Though beautifully illustrated, the book was confusing in that I did not understand what it was...more
ErynnMarie
Like all of the Carl books that I've read, the story is sub-par (neglectful parents have their shortcomings made up for by a super attentive Rottweilier). It's cute in some ways, but not if you think about it too hard (like I just did). But I'm a sucker for beautiful illustrations, and these books have some of the best I've seen. Every page is a cornucopia of beautiful scenery and top-notch watercolor-manship. I would collect these.
*This was my first Carl book, and by far my fav so far. Probably...more
Pam
Carl books by Alexandra Day are all gorgeously illustrated and I enjoy that fact that they feature a well behaved loving Rottweiler as I adore these stable proud dogs and abhor the bad reputation they have gotten. I like how Alexandra Day lets the illustrations tell the story with few or no words. Despite all the positives, I really dislike the premise that these books are built on that a dog can be left along to care for a child. Children are unpredictable and often physically cruel, and for th...more
Amie Anderson
Carl's Christmas is an almost wordless book about a dog who takes care of his human baby sister when her parents go out on Christmas Eve. He takes her all over town, and after they return home, he witnesses Santa's arrival. I thought the book was rather strange in that the baby's parents left her with the dog; it was just too unrealistic for my taste. The genre is wordless books and the only theme I could think of was Christmas. The book is probably best suited for children ages 4-7.
Gabriella
As a child I always loved "reading" Alexandra Day's wordless picture books. Each book took me on a new adventure with Carl and the baby. Growing up I had a rottweiler so the books were so much more personal to me. As the author's pictures took me from page to page I was able to let me imagination take hold of me, since there were no words I would fill in the blanks. I was amazed at how the author could make me laugh without saying a thing.
Sadie Vargas
This book is very good also. This book only has about 5 words in it which is in the begging when the parents tell the dog to take car of the baby while they are gone. The rest if for your imagination to go wild on. For each picture you get to put your own words down and make the story come alive. In the end they are visited by Santa and they are all safe and sound in there own beds by the time the parents get back.
Anna
I generally dislike the premise of parents abandoning their children, as well as the idea that it's OK to leave young children unsupervised with animals. However, if you are able to set that aside for a moment to enjoy the magic of this book, it is truly lovely.
This is my favorite of the Carl books that I've read so far.
Lauren
This picture book is wonderful for teaching inferring or different points of view. The book begins with dialogue and leaves the reader with the opportunity to create the rest of the story based on the pictures alone. The Carl collection is one in which every teacher should stock up on.
Katie Beck
This is a great book. I think that this would be a good book to read to children to help them practice infering since there are so few words. Children could be asked to infer why Carl did certain things or where they thought Carl was taking the baby and why.
carl  theaker

I'm pretty sure I got this book for Christmas because my
name is Carl... A short pictorial about ever faithful Carl
taking care of 'his' baby. A small, though solid, book
which we put out every year with the Christmas decorations.
Melanie
A little strange having a dog babysit while Mom and Dad visit Grandma and attend church on Christmas. But the kids were delighted with the idea. It was pretty cute. Love that there's lots of pictures to tell the story.
Rachel C
Love, love, love this book. I have "read" this one to my kids every year. There is very little text (only the very first page), so it is fun to make up the story as you go. Sweet and beautifully illustrated.
Marita
Anohter family favorite form the time before my kids could read. WE used to make up our own words to go along the Carl books. WE all loved them.
Maren Prestegaard
seems slightly illegal yet sweet the way the parents leave the baby with the dog all the time.
love the illustrations and kinda want to adopt Carl.
Kelsey
We put this book under our Christmas tree every year. I think this book is absolutely adorable. I really enjoy this book and think it's really sweet.
Jessica
haha this is sooo cute! I LOVE it! A dog who babysits and rules the roost. Very cute. A little cardboard book about a loving dog.
Zann
I love the artwork in each of these books! Great stories told mostly through pictures. Carl is the best babysitter!!
Paula
One of my favorites during the holidays. i like to sing the first verse silent night as I flip the pages.
Amber
Kids need to learn how to read, not how to look at pictures and use their imaginations to make up a story.
Gina
A lovely wordless picture book about the magic of Christmas and a wonderfully capable dog!
Emily  Cain McMillan
Carl wouldn't be complete without a Christmas book, worth buying just for the illustrations.
Ellen Brandt
Told without words. Great for kindergarten because the students can help provide the narrative
Kathryn
Carl's books are delightful. The artwork and story without words are beautiful.
Bree
Notes:
lovely illustrations
not a book my kids ever looked through more than twice
Jamie
A very sweet book with beautiful illustrations. A family favorite.
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • The House Without a Christmas Tree
Alexandra Day is the pseudonym for Sandra Louise Woodward Darling. She is the author of Good Dog, Carl and the rest of the beloved Carl books, including Carl Goes Shopping, Carl’s Christmas, Carl’s Birthday and Carl’s Snowy Afternoon. Darling was born in 1941 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to a large and close-knit family. Painting was a popular family recreation, and almost every family excursion included...more
More about Alexandra Day...
Good Dog, Carl Carl Goes Shopping Carl's Afternoon in the Park Carl's Birthday Carl's Masquerade