God's Smuggler

God's Smuggler

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  14,340 ratings  ·  362 reviews
As a boy he dreamed of being a spy undercover behind enemy lines. As a man he found himself undercover for God. Brother Andrew was his name and for decades his life story, recounted in God's Smuggler, has awed and inspired millions. The bestseller tells of the young Dutch factory worker's incredible efforts to transport Bibles across closed borders--and the miraculous ways...more
Published December 1st 1964 by Signet (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about God's Smuggler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Smuggler

Mark
In my early days of walking with Christ, it seemed every Christian was recommending this book. Thirty years later, I've finally read it. All I can say is: What took me so long?

There have been several books throughout my journey with the Lord that have impacted me so profoundly that I now view the reading of them as milestones in my life. This book may now top the list.

In "God's Smuggler," Brother Andrew tells his own story of smuggling Bibles to Christians behind the Iron Curtain. When he first...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Written in 1967 I've heard about this book for a long time and always "meant to get around to it". Well based on a recommendation here that reminded me of it I finally got it (after 46 years) and it was well worth the read.

First off this is a Christian read, know that going in. While it has value as a read about the Cold War era it is told from the point of view of a Christian missionary (and those involved with him.

Now for you who have a knee-jerk bad reaction to the word missionary I can only...more
Jason Mccool
Jul 28, 2013 Jason Mccool rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Pat McCool
My mom gave me this book in college back in 1995, and for some reason, I waited until last week to read it. Finishing it today, I am dumbfounded that I waited so long to read it. I had apparently started reading it back in 2008, judging from a bookmark left in it, but for some reason, never got more than a few pages into it. This time, I couldn't put it down. I was reading it while brushing my teeth, while eating my cereal, while waiting at stop lights. From Brother Andrew's childhood in Nazi-oc...more
Katrina
Excellent story of an ordinary guy who answered the call to live an extraordinary life trusting God.
Sally
Kay Johnson
I have always been a sucker for good missionary stories. Although this well-known book has been around for ages, I have never read it until now. I am challenged to think more carefully about what I can do to reach out to the persecuted church around the world. As Brother Andrew says, sometimes the best thing you can do is to just be there.
Jasmine Wheeler
Omigosh! I loved this book so much! This is the story of a missionary, called Brother Andrew, who smuggles Bibles behind the border of the Soviet Union! It was so thrilling; the accounts of guards nearly finding the Bibles and missing them by a hair sometimes, this book will give you the thrill of a spy novel without the romantic scenes.
Sarah Morgan
Amazing story of God's faithfulness in this incredible man's life. Definitely a great read!
Clark
Fabulous book.Very inspiring!
Dennis
This is by the authors of The Hiding Place, another book I found only so so. This time it's Brother Andrew, a Dutch former soldier who is converted to Christianity after reading the Bible upon his mother's death. In the aftermath of witnessing the atrocities of war in Indonesia, Andrew shifts course forever by devoting his life to the ministry and spreading the gospel.

There is much to be admired about those whose faith relies solely upon God and miracles to provide. The trouble I had with this...more
Christopher M.
What an inspiring book this is. I am a man already interested in missions work, but were I not, I believe that the faith of the men portrayed in this book would compel me to more daring acts for God. The faithfulness of God is evident on every page, as Andrew tells story after story of his own journey to and with Christ behind the Iron Curtain of the 1950s and '60s. The book reads like a suspense novel and is difficult to put down, but the stories call the reader to careful reflection, prayer, a...more
D.I. Telbat
I do not often say that something has changed my life, but the nonfiction book God's Smuggler has changed my life. The man called Brother Andrew (name changed for safety) who lived in Holland before and during the Iron Curtain years, impacted Europe with his faithfulness like no other person I'm aware of.

John and Elizabeth Sherrill's dedication to this carefully written and inspiring story touched my own faith-nerve--to live more by faith from day to day. Brother Andrew's openness to sacrifice...more
Mike (the Paladin)

Leah Beecher
This was an impulse pick up at my church's library. I have been putting off reading for a few months, but starting flipping though this one. I really enjoying it...not your typical Christian biography...(those of you who went to Christian school and forced to write book reports on missionaries and preachers know what I mean).
This is the biography of Brother Andrew who, without any formal education of theological degree, and backed by no organization or church, went behind the "iron curtain" of...more
Beatriz
Though this was the second time I read God's Smuggler, it held no less power than the first time and it is still not only one of my favorite books, but one that has influenced me the most. It's certainly a page-turning thriller, so I appreciated the chance to sit down with it a second time and go through it more slowly, soaking in what the Lord taught Brother Andrew through his experiences. And what experiences! The book takes you from Andrew fighting on the side of the Dutch during the Indonesi...more
Lady Jane
The memoirs of an independent missionary to Communist communities in the days of the Iron Curtain, God's Smuggler chronicles the character development and dashing exploits of Brother Andrew, a man formerly in deep rebellion to God. I find it fascinating that in childhood during WWII, Brother Andrew dreamed of being a spy. His Kingdom calling led him to many similar activities, with close calls and bold moves, as he smuggled Bibles into countries where they were forbidden.

Although the paradigm i...more
booklady
It's easy to see why this has been in print since 1967 and sold over ten million copies. God's Smuggler is the riveting story of a young Dutchman's conversion and subsequent life as a missionary. 'Brother' Andrew -- as he is commonly called by friends and colleagues alike -- began his unusual ministry with a trip to Poland where he learned the importance of being there for his brothers and sisters in Christ who were reassured to discover that their fellow Christians in the West hadn't forgotten...more
Shannon Quay

This was my second go-around with this book, and I liked it much more the second time. Mostly I like Brother Andrew. He is a Dutchman and mentions it a lot. He was a wild soldier with lots of beer in his belly, mocking Christian tent meetings and their solemn attendees.

Then. He read the Bible and his life changed. The power of those WORDS, you know? It's hard to understand.

He spent his adult life smuggling this precious book to people living in the Iron Curtain (mostly in Russia, China, Albani...more
Adam Shields
Short Review: this is a classic 20th century missionary story. I first read the comic version of the book in the late 1970s as a child. I am not sure if I have read the full thing before or not. This is worth reading but I read it in tension with The God of the Mundane (http://bookwi.se/god-of-the-mundane/) because I also agree with the concept of that book that most of our lives as Christians deal with the day to day and not the miraculous. The difficulty is holding up not normal examples of Ch...more
Christiann
Every time I read Brother Andrew's amazing story of reaching people behind 'the Iron Curtain', I am awestruck by God's miraculous grace and provision. This was truly a book I could not put down. God's Smuggler is the story of a man's passionate pursuit of God's kingdom on the earth— from his early life in Holland to his service in the East Indies to his illegal Bible smuggling operations.

As Andrew so often prayed while smuggling a VW full of Bibles; "Lord, in my luggage I have scripture I want...more
Leah Good
I have heard about this book for most of my life and, while I didn't doubt the quality of the content, I expected it to be hard to read. After deciding to tackle it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was easy to read and extremely engaging. Funny stories throughout the book made me laugh and peoples poignant desire for God's word brought tears to my eyes on several occasions. Written in a style similar to The Hiding Place: 25th Anniversary Edition, I highly recommend this powerful story...more
Katie Ann Huy
Words to describe this book:
Awesome! Wonderful! Exciting! Inspirational! Intriguing!
Once I started this book I couldn't put it down! The stories of Brother Andrew are amazing! His stories most definitely displayed the providence and power of Jesus and his word. I loved reading this book and God really spoke to me through it. I recommend it to everyone! Great read!
Barbara Macmillan
I could read thhis book again and again. My grandaughter and I have read it together also. A young man growing up in Holland during the second world war finds his realationship with God and the Lord shows him great protection as he smuggles the word of God into communist countries. Brother Andrew is a wonderful testimony of a life totally give to Christ.
Janet
God's Smuggler is a riveting book. It was hard to put down. It is really inspiring how God changed his life and helped him in his missions and life. Looking back, you can see how he played a small part in brining down the iron curtain, by sharing Christ with those who were forbidden to have access to God's word.
Brian Eshleman
This book was stellar. Even though the Communist domination of Eastern Europe seems hard to remember, the battle of a motivated man against a state hostile to his faith was captivating. God was the Star, and His work in Brother Andrew was motivating to follow more closely with what He is doing now.
Jaimie Engle
This was by far the BEST non-fiction book I have ever read. It made me reconsider the degree that I believe in miracles. I love God, and always have, but this book showed me how small of a box in which I keep my God. A great read for anyone who is questioning where God is or if he still hears us.
Ben DeVries
What an amazing model of a life of faith, and care for our brothers and sisters in Christ who don't share the same religious freedoms, often even simple access to Scripture, we do. I really appreciated this story of Brother Andrew, his teammates (including his amazing wife) and legacy.
Sanela Tutaris
It starts of not too interesting but it gets better and half way through it gets really moving. I love this man! He is such a miracle! Especially how he gets healed at the end from his back pain--I could hardly believe he is telling us the truth, but God's miracles are still happening.
Margaret

This is one of the most inspirational and amazing books I've read. It has given me much to think about. It is difficult to imagine living in a country where Bibles are contraband. To say the story of Andrew's life is powerful and moving is an understatement. His faith and courage and that of others who shared his mission is phenomenal. I don't believe it is an exaggeration to say this book could change one's life. I cannot remember where I heard of this book, but I remember feeling compelled to...more
Heidi'sbooks
This is one of the best missionary biographies I have ever read. Brother Andrew smuggles Bibles behind the Iron Curtain. His adventures will astound you. Life-changing.
  • Peace Child: An Unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Treachery in the 20th Century
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • Through Gates of Splendor
  • Run Baby Run
  • End of the Spear
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • Tortured for Christ
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Tramp for the Lord
  • The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Hudson Taylor (Men of Faith)
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
Andrew van der Bijl (born 11 May 1928 in Sint Pancras, Netherlands), known in English-speaking countries as Brother Andrew, is a Christian missionary famous for his exploits smuggling Bibles to communist countries in the height of the Cold War, a feat that has earned him the nickname "God's smuggler". Brother Andrew studied at the WEC Missionary Training College in Glasgow, Scotland. Brother Andre...more
More about Brother Andrew...
Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ Light Force: A Stirring Account of the Church Caught in the Middle East Crossfire The Narrow Road: Stories of Those Who Walk This Road Together [With This Road CD by Jars of Clay] The Calling: A Challenge to Walk the Narrow Road The Practice of the Presence of God

“You can get in anywhere if you go to serve.” 17 likes