Start by marking “Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart, #1)

Read Book

Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart #1)

Newly-edited release - August 11, 2014
* Alternate Edition for ISBN: 9780993701702

Novel (123,100 words)
Genre(s): Historical Fantasy, Erotic Action/Adventure, Triad, Gay

Sheltered and lonely, Jon's life changes drastically when a strange ship sails into the harbour of his small port town one day. Trapped between the possessive pirate captain and his murderous first mate, he m
ebook, 2nd edition, 358 pages
Published August 11th 2014 by Smashwords (first published February 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Caged, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bey Deckard
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

SheReadsALot
Before reading- PIRATES?!

BDSM?!!

MM??!!!!!

DID THE BOOK DEITIES HEAR MY PRAYERS?!!!

I am in cloud one million, right now!! I'm floating!!!!!

Swashbuckling BR with Cupcake! Thanks for joining *coughs* I might have coerced...but she liked it! Honest! Ignore any wayward grumbles. :P

After reading?: 5 HEARTS--When you learn that there is a book that you've ached to read about actually written and quite masterfully...

...a treasure. It's not a book for everyone but hearties....this book was made for me!! *
Nancy
Posted at Outlaw Reviews

The story begins with the sad life of Jon. His mom died of the weeping plague and his dad died in a fall. Jon is frail and sickly, suffering from migraines and persistent bad dreams. Unsuitable for hard physical labor, Jon’s indifferent stepfather felt his unusual empathic abilities would come in handy to help determine the guilt or innocence of the prisoners locked up in the castle’s dungeon. Jon’s next task is to help discover who is responsible for the brutal murder of
Shurrn
Brilliant from start to finish!
"It's probably difficult for you to understand. However... as inexperienced and as... conventional as you are, you have to realize that you're not a blushing maiden, and I'm not an evil pirate king here to sweep you off your feet and force you to resign your body to me."
Prepare yourself, because I fucking LOVED this book and I have a lot to say about it.

To be completely honest, I'm a little surprised by how much I enjoyed it - You see, I'm not generally a fan
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

**3.5 stars**

This is most certainly not a Heather-book.

From reading the synopsis, I was instantly intrigued. I mean, gay pirates!? So much fun! I immediately thought of Exit Strategy, if anyone has read that, and, in truth, there are a lot of similarities. I was anticipating a fun read and was ready to go with my eye patch and bandana. However, this book ended up being a lot tougher than I had anticipated for me.

One of my main issues
Sheziss
First of all, I love pirates and of course, by loving pirates I mean I adore the Romantic kind we find in a book and not the real one. The kind of pirates José de Espronceda wrote about in my favorite poem:

My treasure is my gallant bark,
My only God is liberty;
My law is might, the wind my mark,
My country is the sea.

This is a spectacular trilogy and the first volume couldn't have been better.

And needless to say, Bey Deckard is one my little treasures of this year.

Honestly, I'm not fond of thr
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Jul 01, 2014 Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion by: SheReadsALot
description

ARRRR! My BR adventure with Baby!

I admit it. I’m a sucker for this trope-the downtrodden who finds a home and family, one not borne of blood, and blossoms like a flower in spring. I love it. It gets me every time. Every. Single. Time. AND they’re kinky too? Kinky pirates, no less. Shut the front door! I mean… it doesn’t get much better than that.

Jon and Baltsaros’s romance is non-traditional to be certain, but no less arresting. However, a great romance is a great romance is a great romance. Wha
MishyJo
If this were Olympic ice skating, the base score for this read would be 4 stars. Unfortunately, the story had a few problems resulting in required deductions and leaving us with a final score of 3 stars.

Worthy of 4 Stars:

The pirates were really piratey. The were unapologetic in their plundering, pillaging, and murdering. There were no soft spots. There was no moment of realization where they decided that should change their ways and live a better life.

The story was nicely complex and layered wit
Vivian
Apr 07, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica-hist
Obsession is hard to give up, or how I made my dysfunctional relationship work.

Baltsaros, psychopath with a physic's knowledge.
Tom, smiling sociopath who is the right hand man.
Jon, sickly empath whose talent is desired and then some.

Pirates? Okay, coming from the seas of Blackbeard I really was expecting more pirate action. Technically, there were no acts of piracy. Mayhem, murder, kidnapping, and various acts of violence--but not on the open sea. The one big battle scene happened on land :(

The
Bey Deckard
I'm not going to rate my own book because of bias, but I'm going to review it. It's a good book. I think it's great for being my first attempt at writing a full-length novel. My own take is this: Lots of angst, three lost souls, lots of sex, complicated characters, and plot twists. Add to that a love of boats, deep respect for the ocean, and a fascination with the darker side of human nature, and you have a book that skirts the line between serious historical fantasy and shameless smut.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I read this on a flight from DC to Phoenix. I was completely absorbed in it. The characters were rich, mysterious, fallible, and real. No shying away from a bit of controversy and some kinks not perhaps held by all. While this book has BDSM it is not about it at all. No BDSM 101 here. It's all about personalities and circumstances and what happens when you discover what you thought is not what is. It's a great length - bit of swashbuckling and even great female characters who get some "screen ...more
Monique ~ Sinfully
Apr 01, 2015 Monique ~ Sinfully rated it it was amazing
 photo Caged .jpg

Joint Review with Macky

Monique: Macky and I have no words for this series… we were both completely awestruck with the superb writing of Bey Deckard and blown away by the brilliant story line he so cleverly captivated us with. If you like a sexy pirate or two… well actually three, with an unconventional love story and adventure on the high seas, then this book is a MUST READ. Occasionally, we come across a book that totally outshines even those five star reads, or those that sit on our favourite
Lori
Oct 31, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Team Tom.

Oh wow - what a book.One of my favourite book series is The Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch, this book really reminds me of that series (especially Red Seas Under Red Skies - but with the added bonus of a more-than-friends relationship between the main characters.

The world building and set up was wonderful. It was so easy for me to imagine this world they lived in, the harshness, the debauchery...the mainland, sea and islands. It was all there, descriptions v
Al
Apr 21, 2015 Al rated it really liked it
Piss kitty!!
Lots of lovely dirty pirate sex, and interesting juxtapositions of the pirate sausage. I didn't really get any of the characters but after all, it's not an exam. Tom!! Very luscious character.

Plainbrownwrapper
I received a review copy of this book via Goodreads' "Don't Buy My Love" program in exchange for an honest review.

This is a good tale, which is unfortunately hampered by both first-book-itis and self-published-itis. Deckard obviously has talent, and I hope to see great things in his future books. Now, for the rest of the story —

Let me 'splain... No. There is too much. Let me sum up.

First, One of my pettest of pet peeves: FOR GOD'S SAKE, HIRE AN EDITOR. Seriously, people: readers are PAYING FOR
Sunny
4.5

An unconventional romance with an often darker storyline. The darkness centers mostly around the captain and his interactions with the other characters. Complex, compelling characters, complete with some not so pretty attributes. The captain, in particular, could be so gentle, and in the next moment, incredibly rough or even brutal. The romance comes in those same interactions, though, as the MCs are affected by each other in ways they weren't expecting.

I was impressed with the writing...vi
Tina
Dec 29, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it

Shiver me timbers! This one was a surprise!

The title, the cover, the blurb…. it all seemed to add up to a fantastic adventure involving guns, swords and hot pirates.

Did I get what I wanted? Hell YESSS!

Baltsaros, the hot as hell captain is a cuel, deeply flawed, inscrutable man… yet still cute Jon feels attracted to the pirate and his first mate Tom.

The story is fast paced, violent, action-packed and full of hot pirate-sex… and let me tell you, the sex is not always vanilla…

Halfway through the st
Dee Wy
Finally, a REAL pirate story with a bad-ass Captain who appears to have no heart for much of the story and even a female pirate with a wife waiting for her at home. I was completely taken with Jon's story of misery and illness living with his heartless step-father who simply uses him for his unusual ability to "read people" and their intentions. When Jon is captured by pirates, it's not at all clear if that is a good thing even after Captain Baltsaros heals his illness.

This story kept me captiva
Ann
What a bunch of wonderfully fucked up characters!

This story was, in turn, exhausting, arousing, stressful, heartbreaking and humorous. Every time they did something completely sociopathic I couldn't help but shrug and think, "Well. Pirates." and all was well.

I don't think I've read a book where 2, well 3, characters complimented each others crazy and humanity better. It's a good thing they found each other or their world would be a much more dangerous place.

I can. not. WAIT. for the next one!

Em
This was a really enjoyable first book in the series. I'm pretty sure this is only my second book with MMM and I found it surprisingly hot. There was a slight lull in the middle of the book where it felt like things had peaked a bit early but the story soon picked up and I was very satisfied with the ending, even if it did feel like everything had got tied up a little too neatly.

Thanks to Steph and Giorgia for the buddy read!
JustJen "Miss Conduct"

4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

Wow, where to start with this one. This called to me right away, from the cover and the blurb, it just sounded like my kind of story, and I wasn’t disappointed. It is everything that the blurb leads you to believe and then some.

It starts out with poor Jon, who already is suffering because of his life and the horrible migraines he has been getting. Then, he is taken captive by a pirate captain, Baltsaros, who is already in a sort of “relationship” with his fir
Fifi LaFleur
Sep 13, 2015 Fifi LaFleur rated it it was amazing
Wowsa. Finished a re-read last night just in time for book 2! I love this book! It is a great read that starts on a slow intense burn that never fizzles. The tone from the start is dark and broody and lured me in instantly.

The characters are rendered brilliantly. Three dimensional and changable, they feel human and real and make all the mistakes and irrational decisions that come with it. They grow and change steadily throughout the book as events alter them in subtle ways.

The quotes at the tops
Alicia J
Holy shit-this was amazing! I loved it from start to finish. There were some parts that were a bit hard to get thru, but hey-it's a pirate story. Blood, guts, gore, and other gory stuff should be expected. I absolutely adored the characters, especially Tom. The boy just stole my heart. To have gone through the torture and torment that he went thru and still be able to laugh, well, I was definitely a fan.

I'm definitely going to be buying the rest of the books in this series, I can't wait to find
Macky

JOINT REVIEW WITH MONIQUE

Alicia
(This book was provided free in return for an honest review)

Aye Pirates! and a young man, intuitive beyond his years, struggle emotionally and physically to go from enemies to lovers.

The story is told mainly from the prospective of Jon, a young man whose stepfather, treating him with contempt, used his gift of insight (nothing magical here, just an ability to read body language) to decide the guilt or innocence of prisoners. Having learned of Jon's gift, Baltsaros, pirate Captain, has him captu
Silkeeeeee
I am not the type for period books but this - this book is an exceptional combination of a great adventure, betrayal, love, forgiveness and three coming together in what I hope is a beautiful tapestry of love to come in more books. I really can't wait to see if Bey delves more into Tom's personality and heart, though I can already feel him in mine. So, a standing ovation for Bey. Bey just proved that I can like a period book and fall in love with three pirates. Who knew?
agirlwithoutwings
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed reading this book, especially the first half of it was a real page-turner. However, I think in the second part,(view spoiler) it was dragged and so much focused on the relationship stuff which I really did not care that much about (view spoiler)!

The characters are dark, especially Baltsaros who even with having his POV, I still have no clue about him, his grotesque desires and his intentions! B
Veronica of V's Reads
I received a copy of this book via Goodreads' Don't Buy My Love program in exchange for an honest review.

This historical M/M pirate fantasy was a captivating read.

Jon is an empathic young man. frail, and essentially alone--his stepfather acts as a guardian even though Jon is 22 because of Jon's infirmity. Jon is essentially shanghai-ed into piracy while on an errand to find the killer of a prostitute.

Ship's captain, Baltsaros, had heard of Jon's skill in divining truth as an Interrogator, and fe
Beth
Aug 28, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story. I confess I’m not typically a fan of “historical” stories. That being said, this story is so well done, I loved how I was transported back to the days of long ago when pirates ruled the ocean. The characters are so well represented, you feel like you’re right there – seeing what they see, feeling what they feel… the pain, joy, fear, anger and love. I was on the edge of my seat for much of the book; there is a lot of thrilling pirate action and drama, but also a lot of ...more
Kristan
I've never felt the desire to cast the characters of a story I was reading before, but the entire time I was engrossed in this book, I couldn't help but see the men from Black Sails as

Baltsaros

Tom

and Jon.
description

(And on a side note: If there's not a fanfic out there of these three men together, there needs to be. Someone get on that.)

Told through the eyes of Jon and Baltsaros, we watch a story unfold filled with lies, treachery, mistrust, jealousy, dominance and submission, and pirates! Pirat
Mel
May 18, 2015 Mel marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
*** DNF at 61% ***

Okay, so… First my main reason for not finishing this book:

"It's a heart," he said.
Baltsaros turned it over once in his hands, remembering how warm it had been when he plucked it from his quarry's chest. It was so cold now, and it was too late to eat it raw; the storm had ruined that opportunity.
[...]
"I went hunting the other night," said Baltsaros.
The blond woman's legs flashed white as she ran away from him, stumbling over branches and slipping on leaves. The blood pounded ho
Don't miss these character interviews 1 5 Apr 20, 2015 09:47PM
A Million More Pages: 1 - Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart): Feb 15 20 23 Mar 02, 2015 07:09PM
Ahoy Mateys! It' a Buddy Read! 41 22 Jun 12, 2014 03:25AM
Read a 25% excerpt 1 7 May 24, 2014 03:03PM
  • Antidote (Don't..., #2)
  • The Slave (Free Men, #1)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Bad Things
  • The Red King
  • Fun With Dick and Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #1)
  • Beyond the Edge (The James Lucas Trilogy, #1)
  • The Copper Horse: Pride (The Copper Horse #2)
  • Chronic Carnalli Complex (Carnalli Brothers, #2)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2)
  • Bound By Lies (The Manse, #3)
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top, #1)
  • Cinnamon (Blood Nation, #3)
  • Hooch & Cake (Special Delivery, #1.5)
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • Misfits (Urban Soul, #1)
  • Tribute
Artist, Writer, Dog Lover - http://www.beydeckard.com

Born and raised in a small coastal town in northern Québec, Bey spent his early summers on his uncle’s boat and running wild on the beaches of the surrounding islands, lighting fires and building huts out of driftwood and fishermen’s nets. As an adult, he eventually made his way to university and earned a degree in Art History with a strong focu
More about Bey Deckard...

Baal's Heart (3 books)
  • Sacrificed: Heart Beyond the Spires (Baal's Heart, #2)
  • Fated: Blood and Redemption (Baal's Heart, #3)

“The first mate slid, almost bonelessly, down the wall. Baltsaros shoved his softening cock almost angrily back into his pants; he felt strangely unsatisfied and frustrated. Tom looked up at the captain with wet, red eyes as Baltsaros undid the belt that was looped around him.

What was it about Jon that had him so wound up?”
7 likes
“What do I see? I see a man who has higher and thicker walls than I will ever have. I see a terrifying beast enveloped and hidden by a cleverly fashioned mask. I see tears that will never fall. I see blood and death. I see a heart that devours itself. I see the promise of a pain and deceit. I see a lot of things, Baltsaros. Many of them frightening,” Jon said.

Baltsaros showed no surprise over Jon’s words. Instead, he leaned towards him, intrigued. “And you’re not afraid,” he said.”
7 likes