Start by marking “Winning His Spurs: A Story of the Crusades” as Want to Read:
Winning His Spurs: A Story of the Crusades

Winning His Spurs: A Story of the Crusades

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A story of medieval life that follows the remarkable adventures of young Cuthbert de Lance, a lad who serves as a page to an English nobleman during the Third Crusade.
Published August 28th 2000 by Preston-Speed Publications (first published 1882)

To ask other readers questions about Winning His Spurs, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rebecca
When this adventure begins, Cuthbert is a boy of fifteen living at home with his mother in Norman England. He hears information and is able to warn the outlaws living in the forest, among whom he has relatives, of an impending attack by the Earl of Evesham, who resents their killing his deer without permission. The forest men are reconciled to the Earl, however, when Cuthbert summons their help to rescue the Earl’s daughter from a kidnapping by a nearby vindictive Norman nobleman. After Cuthbert...more
The Gatekeeper
Feb 23, 2009 The Gatekeeper rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes history and adventure
Recommended to The Gatekeeper by: my history/literature program
The thing I don't like about G.A. Henty is that he usually seems more interested in teaching history than in writing a good story. In The Dragon and the Raven, for example, he spends a lot more time talking about the battles between the British and Danish people than about the actual plot. For me, at least, that got a little boring. But Winning His Spurs is more balanced; there's still plenty of history, but it's mainly a series of fast-paced adventures in the life of Cuthbert, an exceptionally...more
Amelia Pease
(This is a "critique" that I wrote as an assignment. I hope it's helpful! It was a good book, just as I said, but not one of my all time favorites...)

Cuthbert, a young boy, aspiring knight, and prodigal page, begins his journey to win his spurs during the crusades and on the way grows to be a man and ultimately saves his country. Winning His Spurs: A Tale of the Crusades, first published in 1882 and written by G. A. Henty, is a historical adventure novel set during the Third Crusade. It follows...more
Skjam!
Jun 28, 2013 Skjam! rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: patient children, Victorian literature buffs
G.A. Henty (1852-1902) was a writer of children’s historical fiction, who began his career as an author after a friend heard him telling bedtime stories to his kids. Like many Victorian authors, he’s out of favor these days, but my parents found this book at an estate sale.

Cuthbert is fifteen when the story begins, a lad of mixed Norman and Saxon blood during the reign of Richard I (Richard the Lionheart.) This gives him ties to both his late father’s cousin, the Earl of Evesham, and his mother’...more
Alicia Willis
Winning His Spurs is an amazing book, detailing the life and adventures of a young Saxon/Norman page during the Third Crusade. Usual gallantry, adventure, and chivalry follow the antics of this very courageous and spirited young warrior.

This was the book that first inspired me to write my own medieval series and was the book that made me keep trying to be a good writer - no matter what.

For the most part, historical accuracy predominates the storyline. However, I did catch one or two questionabl...more
Gary Cann
Very much an early twentieth century boy’s adventure book. It is, however, quite interesting in how it brings in facts and details to fill out the historical picture. A good enjoyable read.
Seth
I love a lot of G.A. Henty's works. This is one of my favorites, covering a period of time during the crusades. Though a bit stiff in style (Henty died in the early 1900s), the adventure is exciting, the romance palatable, and from what I've read in other sources, the history is relatively accurate. I would suggest this book to history lovers, readers of Verne, Hugo, Conan Doyle, or Turtledove--or someone looking for a good adventure book outside the spectrum of popular fiction.
Heather
I really liked this book. I haven't read it to the kids yet as I think the subject matter such that they need to be a bit older.

It is well written and fast paced. The main character is someone you can really like and cheer for. Great historical context and would be a great addition to a study of the Crusades. Best used during the middle school/junior high years.
Faith Bradham
I read this for my Omnibus class and they give intros to each book we read. In their intro they say that Henty has the marvelous gift of writing historical fiction. Ummm, a lot of people have that gift, and Henty is definately not one of my favorites. His heroes are so incredibly perfect that they're annoying (kind of like Elsie Dinsmore) and his prose is a bit stiff.
Elise
Henty books are always super informative and epic in scope. The language is challenging, especially to read aloud (which is how I have read 2 of the 3 Henty books on my shelf), but it's worth wading through the detail and the dated language to learn a slice of history very well.

I consider Henty's books to be valuable reading/listening for my children.
Rachel
Fun and very informative tale set in the time of King Richard, Robin Hood and his merry men. And in grand Henty fashion...where else can a young boy gain favor with the King of England, come up with cunning idea's in battle, come back from the war an earl at only 16, take back his castle from a villain, and marry the girl! ;)
Thomas
Henty's stories are always good, and this was no exception. This is the story of a boy who succeeds beyond his wildest imagination through hard work, determination, courage, and inventiveness. A great character building story written a century ago, but still applicable in its moral lessons.
Dani
Read this aloud to the kids. We always enjoy reading Henty together; wonderful language, and great historical backgrounds. His books, if you read too many close together, definitely will start to sound alike; rather formulaic. Enjoyable nonetheless.
Lydia
The setting and view of King Richard was kinda cool but the kid was like bleh and it was unrealistic. Robin Hood's guest appearance also made me happpy but other than that...it just wasnt fun to read. the adventures were kinda repetitive really.
Craig Herbertson
Distinctly remember the bravery of the christian knights just before they were beheaded. In some cases this was of course true but Henty's world view was so steeped in militant Christianity I'm not sure I would swing with it now
Brian
Absolute Henty. Some of the stuff here is really good (Richard and John are loads of fun.) The ending got exciting and then fizzled. Perhaps the best thing about this book is the character arc of the sidekick.
This Henty book took longer to get into than the King Alfred one...overall, too fantastic for believability but a fun adventure book for a young male reader, the aim of Henty.
Jimi
Winnning His Spurs? I haven't read it, but "Winning his Spurs" is a famous quip about the Black PrinceFrom the 1346 Crecy Campaign. Nothing to do with the crusades!
Amanda Marie
eh, its alright. Its for school-so-yea.... :P
Joe
A devastatingly good read.
Angelyn
May 31, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Men of Iron
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
  • The Coral Island
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • Outcast
  • George Washington's World
  • The White Company
George Alfred Henty began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote approximately 144 books in ad...more
More about G.A. Henty...
The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce Beric the Briton Young Carthaginian For the Temple

“Whether success will crown the effort, or whether God wills it otherwise, it is not for man to discuss; it is enough that the work is there, and it is our duty to do it.” 0 likes