Start by marking “Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)” as Want to Read:
Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)

Last Witness (C. J. Townsend #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,090 ratings  ·  143 reviews
C.J. Townsend, a brilliant prosecutor from Miami, returns in Hoffman's second novel that's filled with vivid crime scene investigations and a thrilling plot.
Published July 5th 2006 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Last Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Witness

Sharon
Really disappointed with this book - and to make matters worse there is still a third book in the series for me to (maybe) wade through.

The overwhelming problem for me with Last Witness was this:

First up the main character is C.J.Townsend. C.J. So obviously we hear, or read, her name a lot. And she's the ASA (Assistant State Attorney) Then there is also a character called LBJ. The following is a list that at least one will be read on almost every single page:

CNN, FDLE, MDPD, MBPD, FHP, PD, MROC
BoekenTrol
Mar 27, 2010 BoekenTrol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all thrillerfans
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: kiki1928
After I read Cupido, I was very curious about this book. How C.J. would be doing, if Bantling really was put away etc.

At first, I had no idea that this was the second book n a row, because it started 'all over' again. Only in the course of the story one finds out how this second book is linked to the first.
That is okay, though.

I was a bit disappointed however, by this second book. I can't exactly tell you why. The thing is, that it didn't keep me reading as the first one did. I was not so very
Outis
In den ersten zwei Dritteln plätschert die Handlung so vor sich hin, ehe es anfängt richtig spannend zu werden und mehr Dynamik in die Geschichte kommt. Davor wird der Leser mit zahlreichen Abkürzungen amerikanischer Polizei- und Justitzeinrichtungen verwirrt. Auch die Charaktere bleiben allesamt flach und oberflächlich. Mir selbst ist die Hauptprotagonistin C.J. sogar ein wenig unsympathisch und viele ihrer Entscheidungen und Handlungsweisen kann ich weder verstehen noch nachempfinden.
Wem die
Nikki
Nadat ik 'De Vergelding' van Jilliane Hoffman had gelezen wilde ik maar al te graag het vervolg lezen. Ik ben meteen online gegaan en heb een tweedehands exemplaar kunnen scoren van De Laatste Getuige met een prachtige cover. Een van de mooiste boek covers vind ik!
Net als 'De Vergelding' was 'De Laatste Getuige' ook een onwijs spannend boek. Wederom lees je het boek vanuit verschillende perspectieven zoals C.J., Dominick, de seriemoordenaar, etc. Ik zat weer meteen in het verhaal en werd meegen
Diana Tamas
Although a sequel of 'Retribution', there was something that made it not so intensively readable as the first one.

Cops are being killed in a barbaric way of a serial murderer who leaves a signature of great concern for the prosecutor C.J. Townsend: 'Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil!' Then she realizes that they all had worked at the Cupid case, sharing the same dark secret which put on the death row an 'inocent', without even trying to find answers at the questions: Who called in for a
Johnda
Thought-provoking and Thrilling

CJ Townsend is a hard as nails prosecutor with an impeccable record in the Major Crimes Division in Miami, Florida. But CJ has a secret that is both mind bending and life shattering, a secret she has kept since law school. When the biggest case of her career threatens to tear apart the very tenuous life CJ has managed to hold on to since moving to Florida, what will CJ do? What would any of us do if the fate of the man who brutalized you to the point of madness in
James Mertz
I received this book from good reads first reads and after reading this book i became a fan of Jillian Hoffman. This is the first book of hers I read, I know this is the second in a series but you do not need to read the first to understand what is going on in this one, but after reading this you will want to read the first and all her other books. The short chapters are a plus in my eyes because if you only have a couple minutes to read you can get a couple chapters done in 20 min and they alwa ...more
Jo Faith Baker
In order

It would have been better had I read these books in order, knowing what's going to happen just isn't a good idea. As usual the author spends too much time explaining previous books.n Yes, they need to be acknowledged but not to the extent she does, and the books I enjoy most don't do this, giving away everything so there would be no need to buy a previous book. If these books had not been free to borrow I would not have read all of them. The first one was excellent, not so the CJ series.
Jane Peskara / Audrey Valentine
Not as good as the first one in the trilogy BUT enjoyed it, what kinda ruined it for me were all the different names and ppl who appeared, the ones who were involved with the drugs.

The story: C.J Townsend still lives with nightmares even though it's been three years since William Bantling(he raped her years ago, and was jailed as the serial killer Cupido) was sent to jail, not without a little help from her and 3 police men.
Those three police men die now.....a cruel death.......looks like gang d
Laurie
Last Witness continues CJ Townsend's story from Hoffman's debut novel Retribution. William Bantling, CJ's rapist and the convicted Cupid killer, is behind bars and CJ's life with Special Agent Dominick Falconetti is set to begin with their upcoming wedding. All seems to be going well for the major crimes prosecutor until a series of cop killings begins. Initially these killings look like a tragic set of homicides involving dirty cops until CJ realizes that all of the victims have ties to a cover ...more
Diana Hockley

I did not read the prequel to this novel, so came to Last Witness with no preconceived notions or knowledge about the characters.

I won't write the story-line again, as pretty much every other reviewer has included it in their comments on Amazon.

I mostly liked the protagonists, but have to confess that CJ (why do heroines so often have initials instead of their name?) made me pretty cranky toward the end. As is traditional with lawyer/lady cop novels, she swans off, leaving her fiance-who loves h
Keksisbaby
Der Wahnsinn, den die Staatsanwältin C.J. Townsend vor drei Jahren hinter sich zu lassen geglaubt hat, ist zurück. Sie stellte sich ihren dunkelsten Ängsten und bog das Recht für ein bißchen mehr Gerechtigkeit, um den berüchtigten Mädchenmörder Cupido in die Todeszelle zu bringen. Jetzt wütet ein neuer Serienmörder und tötet alle Cops, die an dem Komplott beteiligt waren, das nötig war C.J.s Vergewaltiger hinter Schloss und Riegel zu stecken. Erneut muß die attraktive Staatsanwältin all ihre Kra ...more
Sandra
Drei Jahre sind seit den schrecklichen Cupido-Morden vergangen und seit Bantling für diese schuldig gesprochen wurde, konnte die Staatsanwältin C.J. wenigstens etwas ruhiger schlafen, denn bei Bantling handelte es sich um ihren eigenen Vergewaltiger.
Doch plötzlich versetzen grausame Morde an Polizisten Maimi in Angst und Schrecken und C.J. wird das Gefühl nicht los, dass diese Morde etwas mit ihrem Geheimnis den Cupido-Fall betreffend zu tun haben.
In diesem Buch wartet nicht nur ein rachsüchtig
Bücherstübchen
Weil ich „Cupido" verschlungen habe, habe ich sehnsüchtig auf einen Nachfolgeband gewartet und mir daher nach Erscheinen sofort zugelegt. Ich habe auf eine genauso spannende Fortsetzung gehofft, war aber eingangs ein wenig enttäuscht. "Morpheus" wurde erst ab ungefähr der Hälfte richtig spannend:

„Cupido" konnte ich von Anfang an nicht aus der Hand legen, fand aber die ungefähr ersten 120 Seiten von "Morpheus" unheimlich langatmig. Sie steckten voller Wiederholungen aus dem ersten Teil. Obwohl ic
Ace
Bill Bantling was a bad man, a vicious serial rapist, and when one of his victims, a prosecuting attorney, gets the opportunity to put him on death row she goes all out allowing nothing to get in the way of justice, not even the fact that he's being prosecuted for murders he did not commit. Unfortunately, her bending of the rules just might put her rapist back on the street if the details are revealed in the course of an appeal. Good story from an author who worked as an assistant state attorney ...more
Ed
Aug 06, 2012 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: legal
This book is a sequel to Retribution and I think would be unsuited to read first. I didn't find it as engrossing as the first novel and was put off by the fantastic knowledge and abilities of the unknown bad guy. This was offset though, by the prosecutor and the array of law enforcement agencies playing fast and loose with the law.

C.J. Townsend finds herself living a nightmare, beginning with a call to go to the homicide scene of Victor Chavez, a cop who helped her convict serial killer William
Ann Davis
Sep 28, 2012 Ann Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All thriller readers.
Recommended to Ann by: Amazon
Really good and just as enjoyable second time around. After reading The Cutting Room which follows on from this book, I had to read this book and Retribution again. As a young girl, Chloe Larson was savagely raped and almost killed by William Bantling. Chloe painstakingly re-builds her life and career only to be confronted by Bill Bantling in a case involving a serial killer called Cupid. She finds herself in a moral dilemma which has far reaching results. This book deals with the decisions made ...more
Adrielle Pottle
This sequel isn't as intense as Retribution. I wanted a little bit more. In saying that though, there is no lack in pace, description or plot building, it just eased off a little. I found myself wanting the most horrendous death imaginable for the perpetrator and was slightly let down. Hoffman sure knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat though but this one didn't make me drop everything and read like the first instalment.
Francis T. Villante
Witness

a very good read. this book gives you a realistic look at law enforcement and all of the different agencies involved. it shows you how they work together and sometimes do not. the murders were intertwined thru all of the agencies including the people who prosecute those charged. an exciting and fun book. I would recommend it. a definite page Turner.
Buecherhascherl
Also, ich habe vorher Cupido gelesen und hatte natürlich hohe Erwartungen an Morpheus (deutscher Titel). Jedoch musste ich enttäuscht werden. Denn zu Beginn war das Buch furchtbar langatmig und konnte mich überhaupt nicht mitreißen. Allerdings, irgendwann an der Mitte angekommen konnte ich das Buch nicht mehr weglegen, denn dann wurde es wirklich gut und wirklich spannend!

Dadurch, dass Morpheus einfach nicht an Cupido heran kommt und es lange brauchte bis die Story ins rollen kam, sind die drei
Suzanne
I enjoyed this book, it had lots of twists to the plot and it ended well. Not sure I want to meet any of the Miami police after reading this though because based on this book most of them are bad guys. There is a third book in the series that I will probably read sometime.
Milissa
Great Book

A prosecutor survives horrific crime by a madman many years ago. A case that won't go awAy and follows her wherever she goes. This is the sequel to "The Cutting Room". Great plot,likeable characters. I cannot wait to read her next book.
Walt Mccluskey
Last Witness

Very detailed story and effective in the arrangement of each part to get to a suspenseful ending that wrapped it all up. Totally unexpected revealing of the murderer at the end and a dangled promise of what might lead to a follow-up by the author and key characters. Good recommendation.
Flavia
Mar 30, 2008 Flavia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nichts für Zartbesaitete. Manche Szenen, vor allem am Anfang, sind echt fies.
Eines dieser Bücher, die man nicht mehr aus der Hand legen will, weil es so spannend ist...
Ich bin eigentlich kein großer Thrillerfan, aber diese Autorin hat mir gefallen. Als Leser kommt man ganz schön in ein Dilemma: Ist es okay, wenn die Staatsanwältin ein paar Unterlagen verschwinden lässt, damit der Täter, und wenn er noch so ein Tier ist, auch wirklich bestraft wird? Und wir reden hier nicht über ein paar Jahre im Knast, sondern die Todesstrafe.
Am Ende werden nicht alle Handlungsfäden aufg
Evelyn
Last Witness by Jilliane Hoffman. This second book in the series is a little slow at the beginning with the author explaining a lot about the justice system but after that the story gets into the plot of the story and gets very interesting.
Michele bookloverforever
repercussions from the shortcuts taken in the cupid case trickle over into a new case as forces once more try to derail prosecutor C.J.'s sanity and take her life again. and the convicted killer and CJ' s rapist gets a new trial...plots revenge.
Priscilla
Last Witness is a sequel or continuation to Retribution by author Jilliane Hoffman.

There's a new killer in town, and he's targeting Miami cops. And not just any cops, a number of the victims has ties to the investigation of the Cupid killings that resulted in the trial and conviction of William Bantling. Now it appears that someone knows the conviction wasn't entirely clean.

It seems that Hoffman wrote this book under the assumption that the reader read the previous book, which is not always the
Simon
Sorry like eating ryvita without butter, far too many acronyms in the fist half of the book, every tom dick and harry from every law enforcement agency. The second half of the book a little better but the story I found stuttered at times and lost momentum. NO more for me : (
suellen schobelock
Good read until the last page.

This was a gripping read all the way through. Twists that you knew were coming took interesting turns. I recommend for anyone who likes fictitious exciting thrillers.
Joanne Green
Her books are very engrossing and are on my must read when she writes a new one. Realism and factual scenes are part of the intense storytelling, along with protagonist's personal involvement.
  • Der Augenjäger
  • The Traveler
  • Das Skript
  • Die Totengräberin
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Die Puppenmacherin
  • Mordsfreunde (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #2)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • Vampirträume (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12)
  • Ritus (Die Bestie, #1)
  • Erntedank (Kommissar Kluftinger, #2)
  • Final Cut
Jilliane P. Hoffman began her professional career as an Assistant State Attorney prosecuting felonies in Florida from 1992 to 1996 with special assignments to the Domestic Violence and the Legal Extradition Units. Originally from Long Island, she currently lives in South Florida with her husband and two children.
More about Jilliane Hoffman...

C. J. Townsend (3 books)
  • Retribution (C.J. Townsend #1)
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend #3)
Retribution (C.J. Townsend #1) Pretty Little Things Plea of Insanity The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend #3) All the Little Pieces