Start by marking “The Seals on the Bus” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,056 ratings  ·  87 reviews
The seals on the bus go

The seals on the bus go
All around the town...

What will the people on the bus do when more and more raucous animals hop on board? This beastly twist on a favorite song will have young readers errping and roaring and honking along.
Published April 1st 2000 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Seals on the Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seals on the Bus

jacky
The clever idea of this book got me to bring it home to read to Natalie, but I was a little disappointed with how well it was executed. The silly aspect of all the animals on the bus was great and I liked that there was a nice mix of animals (I get so bored with cows, ducks, and horses). But, I liked the use of "seals" instead of "wheels" and found that the other animals weren't as clever. I also thought that the sounds could have matched better. The "hiss" of the snakes was a bit like the "whis...more
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary A bus full of animals retell the classic wheels on the bus.
Annotation - a fun rendition of the classic that is fun for both the reader and the child
Age appropriateness - This is good for children 0-5 years
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - This is a fun story to retell and sing.
Phonological awareness - the sing song rhythm makes it easy to hear the various sounds.
Opinion - This is a fun book to read aloud and you can add animals if you like but it is pretty...more
David
A jaunty spin on the song "The Wheels on the Bus," this delightfully silly sing-along, read-aloud picture book is sure to amuse youngsters & animal aficionados alike. Seals, of course, do not go round & round like their predecessors the wheels. They go "errp errp errp." The tiger on the bus goes "roar roar roar," & the geese go "honk honk honk." When the many rabbits on the bus go "up and down," complete mayhem erupts, as, by this time, the bus is filled with seals, rabbits, geese, &...more
Heidi
This is perfect for Animal Sounds! Fun, engaging, and playing on a familiar song. The pictures are as entertaining as the idea each page brings across.

3/2/10 & 3/4/10: Both groups loved this book. Parents sang along in both groups. The larger Tuesday crowd got a little riled from it, but they really enjoyed it. With the smaller Thursday group I had learned to slow down and ask some questions to involve the children even more than in just the singing of the new sounds. (And the shy girl sang...more
Janet
This is a super take off on the song of the Wheels on the Bus. This time it is the animals on the bus roaring, honking, and hissing. But what animal is it that will make them all want to get off of the bus? Love the small collage element in several of the illustrations representing homes and buildings--and they are cut from newspapers or book pages.
Matthew
The illustrations were not that great. I must have gotten used to renditions of this songs in other books where the words change in each line of what the animals or objects or people are saying on the bus. I missed that in this book. I think it would have been better if there was a little more alternating words.
Paul Candeias
This book is definitely going to be one of my favorites. It is a great rendition of a classic children's song. This book could inspire different sorts of wheels on the bus variants. For this particular one with the use of animals children could be taught different animals and the noises they make.

Lesson: I thought of two activities that are connected first I would use the book during circle time and as I read the book have large animal pictures and as each animal was said I would either 1. Give...more
Beth
I picked this up basically because I liked the punny title (I read a young adult novel this month for the same reason!). The idea is a pretty ordinary twist — there are animals on a bus instead of the usual wipers, doors, horn, and people from the song. Okay, maybe that’s not “ordinary” — I guess I say that just because every other picture book you find features animals. What made this stand out was the varied animals that were chosen to be on the bus (yikes; vipers on a bus??) — plus the subplo...more
Karen
Pretty much everyone who has a child or ever was a child is familiar with "The Wheels on the Bus", but did you know there is a sequel -- and, no I don't mean the fifty-odd verses that seem to go with the original. The sequel is -- you guessed it! -- The Seals on the Bus.

The Seals on the Bus, written by Lenny Holt, illustrated by G. Brian Karas, Henry Holt and Company, 2000. Preschool to Early Elementary

The Wheels on the Bus is a fun song. The Seals on the Bus is a funny book. If you know the tun...more
Bonnie Shaw
I like reading this but usually have to clip some of the pages because it is a bit too long for the kids I read to. Plus it is difficult to make some of the noises.
Wendy
Jun 24, 2014 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: karla
Participation

This book is very much like "the wheels on the bus". A lot of fun words for children to repeat along with repeating phrases.
Erin
Good interactive book about animal sounds and motions to the tune of "Wheels on the Bus."

Good for preschool or toddler storytime.
May 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: story times, 4-7 year olds
Recommended to Jennifer by: King County Library List
This zoological, colorful adaptation of "The Wheels On The Bus" will have kids rolling in the aisles and yelling to hear the story again. Fun animal sounds make this book a good candidate to share for preschool and kindergarten story times.

CIP:
Different aniamls--including seals, tigers, geese, rabbits, monkeys, and more--make their own sounds as they ride all around the town on a bus.

"Hop onboard." Kirkus Reviews
"Kids will love adding these zoological lyrics to the ever-expanding onomatopoeia o...more
Maria Burel
I think I’ve mentioned before that “The Wheels on the Bus” is one of Preschooler’s all-time favorite songs. We’re constantly on the lookout of new versions. In The Seals on the Bus, a family finds themselves amidst a noisy, traveling, zoo of seals, tigers, vipers, sheep, and more. The children are overjoyed, while the parents find themselves crying, “Help! Help! Help!” all around the town. Between the arrival of each new silly animal, the animal noises, and the fun illustrations, this quickly be...more
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
So funny! The words and illustrations are great. This book helps with our fluency in writing and reading!
Bunnyjadwiga
I checked this out for my son because when he was 2 and a half to 3 he came up with a version of "The Wheels on the Bus" which was basically different animals instead of bus parts. This reminded me of his version, and he liked it (at 4 and a half) enough to re-read several times. But I admit I liked his domesticated animal version better. Still, if your toddler/preschooler hasn't already come up with the concept on their own, they'll probably love this variant.
Kristen
What a great toddler story time read! I actually sang it (of course!) and the kids loved it. The little surprise joke with the people at the end is great, as well. I also love the illustrations. Will definitely read this one again. As a bonus, apparently one of my toddlers is absolutely obsessed with the wheels on the bus, so his mother was happy to check it out after story time was over to be able to sing a different version of the song with him!
Peacegal
Even as a child, I always hated the song "The Wheels on the Bus." However, Lenny Hort has a riotous take on the insipid classic. A bus full of sleepy riders is jolted awake as more and more raucous wild creatures decide to board. The expressions on the passengers' faces are priceless, especially when the vipers and skunks appear! Seals had all of us (decidedly adult) librarians roaring with laughter.
Kimberly
I know there are a ton of various version of the song Wheels on the Bus, but this one is quite unique because it is all about animals. Each stop the bus makes, a different group of animals climbs aboard and makes all kinds of noise and chaos as it drives around town. Seals are errping, geese are honking, vipers are hissing and all will have your child giggling with excitement.
Shelley
Wonderful Ones 4/4/2014
Preschool 4/23/2014
Preschool 4/25/2014
Homewood Public Library
You might know the song “The Wheels On the Bus,” but this book is about the SEALS on the bus! Join lots of animal friends for a wild bus ride full of all sorts of sounds. There are monkeys, tigers, geese, bunnies, and even more animals riding all around the town. What will the people do after the bus gets turned into a zoo? You'll have to read to find out!
~Ms. Dona, 2009
Ina
A cute and very readable version of the wheels on the bus, where the human passengers are joined on the bus by a variety of animals. The seals on the bus are first, then geese, then a tiger. Storytime audiences love making the animal sounds and love the humorous illustrations. Some of the expressions on the human bus riders are priceless.
Janna
Different take on "The Wheels on the Bus" song. Kids could have fun in storytime making the different noises in the song.

Readalike books:

Lucille Colandro
Raffi
June
Sep 19, 2012 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wheels on the bus fans
Recommended to June by: Polly
A twist on the well known song. Animals get on the bus, until one animal causes everyone to get off. I will try this in September and see what the response is in story time, and may adjust my review then. I am a little sick of wheels since it is requested every week. 6/28/12

Still sick of the song, but it had all the parents singing.
Robert
Fritz checked this out from the county library when we went there last week. The illustrations are nice. The book is just the song "The Wheels on the Bus". The lyrics have been changed to incorporate different animals. "The tiger on the bus goes roar, roar, roar." The ending has "The people on the bus go help. help. help."

Eh.
Tamara
Despite "Wheels on the Bus" being one of her favorite songs, this version did not go over very well with my preschooler. Especially when the snakes were called "vipers". We had to take a time out from the book for a discussion on how vipers is another word for snakes and why someone would use that word instead of snakes.
Dana
I love a book you can sing, and this is one of my favorites, which I introduce after singing "Wheels on the bus." Completely silly, with fun illustrations (I love the sheep sitting on the man!) and the opportunity for the kids to make animal noises, you can't go wrong with Seals on the Bus.
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Two - 1st Grade
A fun take on the song “The Wheels on the Bus”. A very silly sing-along and great read-aloud, replacing the old rhymes with new animal rhymes and sounds.

Early Literacy Skills:

Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation
Lena Barnes
This story is a spin off "The Wheels on the Bus". It has great examples of onomatopoeia, as it features various animals on the bus. You could also do a sequencing activity on the order of the animals. Overall, a very cute book that would be a fun read or sing-along.
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • Clip-Clop
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Dancing Feet!
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Jump!
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
How Many Stars in the Sky? Did Dinosaurs Eat Pizza?: Mysteries Science Hasn't Solved George Washington We're Going on a Treasure Hunt The Wedding Dress Mess