Start by marking “The Kelly Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Kelly Sisters

The Kelly Sisters

Sunday Times bestseller Maureen Lee returns with this heart-warming tale of three sisters striking out in the roaring twenties.

It's 1925 and Patricia, Tara and Aideen couldn't be more excited about leaving Dublin with their father and heading for a new life in Liverpool. Yet it soon becomes clear that all is not as it seems, for the day after they arrive in England, Danny
Published July 30th 2015 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about The Kelly Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kelly Sisters

Andrea
Oct 11, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
Really good story got this book who won it on first reads,loved the characters a father who's in a lot of trouble leaves Dublin with his three girls leaving his young son they end up in new York there father disappeared on the boat told there father was dead,it's a story how they survive got abit lost over half way still a good book worth reading.
Jenni
Sep 28, 2016 Jenni rated it it was ok
Started off well and i thought that it was going to be another good one from Maureen Lee but once they lost their father on the boat i felt the story just drifted here there and everywhere. Shame really she does write such good books.
Amanda
Jan 23, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
I received the paperback copy through the Goodreads first to read programme.

It's an interesting story about three Irish sisters, Patricia, Aideen and Tara who by circumstances out of their control find themselves in New York. Their father mysteriously disappears whilst on the voyage from Liverpool to the States.

I like the characters of the three sisters and did get involved into how their lives evolved and of course whether or not they had their happy ending.

I did find the lack of twenties/thi
Tiina
Sep 07, 2016 Tiina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First something completely irrelevant. Why are there three little girls on the cover art? All three Kelly sisters were well into their teens even in the beginning of the book.

So many extraordinary things happened to these sisters! Unbelievable! But it was easy to read on and believe that life could be so full of twists and turns for all three sisters.
Tracey
Firstly, a big thank you as this was my first book won through a goodreads giveaway.
I have read several Maureen Lee books before, but this was completely different. It's easy to read and it got me interested right away, where as I often find it takes me a few chapters to get in to a book. The story focuses on Patricia, Aideen and Tara Kelly and how each of them choose to live their lives after finding themselves in New York. I'm not sure how to review this book, once the initial shock of finding
Helen
Apr 09, 2016 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, couldn't put it down. Great story as usual from Maureen Lee. The only thing I wasn't too happy with was the last bit about Tara and how she got in that situation. Could have been a few more pages about that, it ended too abruptly. Milo going to Ireland could well be another book. Don't want to give anything away. Definitely would recommend this book to others.
Shona Gibbs
Feb 22, 2016 Shona Gibbs rated it liked it
An OK story - I got a little bored in the middle and felt the sisters all got mixed up or there wasn't enough of an interest in their antics to warrant prolonged engagement. These kind of books I usually read very quickly. The story didn't maintain my interest enough to do this and I was dipping in and out.
Lynda
Feb 11, 2016 Lynda rated it did not like it
Not a lot to say really..
Teenage girls from the 1920s land in New York after their father runs away from fraud in Ireland and then jumps to his death from the ship..
The book then goes on to tell the unbelievable tales of the three girls rags to riches stories.
Easy to read but not the book for me....too fluffy!
Woo
Feb 16, 2016 Woo rated it really liked it
I love reading Maureen Lee. This book is no exception. A read that shows how people's lives intertwine, and how someone else's actions can have such a drastic change on your life. 8/10
Just_me
Feb 05, 2016 Just_me rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, novel
An easy read, good fast paced beginning that didn't really go anywhere. A good book to switch off too.
Kirstie
Jan 08, 2016 Kirstie rated it liked it
Not the best by any means. The storyline is very far fetched and unbelievable but overall a good enough easy read
Patricia Williams
Patricia Williams rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Gill
Gill rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2016
Rachelle  Valladares
Rachelle Valladares rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Glory
Glory rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Nikki Parker
Nikki Parker rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Sheila Coulthard
Sheila Coulthard rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Rachel Jowett
Rachel Jowett rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Jan Borthwick
Jan Borthwick rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Susan M
Susan M rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2015
Gemma Quilliam
Gemma Quilliam rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Michelle Britton
Michelle Britton rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Trudie
Trudie rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
  • Tell Me Tomorrow
  • Shoes for Anthony
  • The Clippie Girls
  • The Good Italian
  • Polly's Pride (Polly's Journey, Book 1)
  • Song of the Skylark
  • Afraid
  • Dead to Me
  • In Love and War
  • An Enormously English Monsoon Wedding
  • Salvation
  • A Brief Affair
  • Starting to Frame: A Memoir
Maureen Lee was born in Bootle, England, UK, near Liverpool during the World War II. She attended Commercial College and became a shorthand typist. She married Richard, and they had three sons, now adults. The last years the marriage lives in Colchester, Essex.

During years, she published over one hundred and fifty short-stories, before published her first novel Lila in 1983. She continued publishe
More about Maureen Lee...

“half the size of the whites. There” 0 likes