Start by marking “Beyond Willpower: The Secret Principle to Achieving Success in Life, Love, and Happiness” as Want to Read:

Did you know that most self-help programs that follow the standard success blueprint have a 97% failure rate? The truth is that the typical personal improvement mantra of tapping into your willpower and activating the power of positive thinking is actually a recipe for failure. In Beyond Willpower, bestselling author and psychological counselor Alexander Loyd, PhD, ND, ...more
Published February 10th 2015 by Harmony (first published February 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Willpower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Willpower

Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Ο Alexander Loyd είναι ένας από τους πλέον γνωστούς συμβούλους ψυχολόγους στην Αμερική, με το πελατολόγιό οτυ να είναι τέτοιο -αριθμητικά και όχι μόνο-, που πολλοί συνάδελφοί του θα το ζήλευαν στα σίγουρα. Τα τελευταία 25 χρόνια προσφέρει τις υπηρεσίες του, έχοντας μάλιστα πολύ έντονη δράση όσον αφορά τον αλκοολισμό και την αντιμετώπισή του, με τον ίδιο να έχει βοηθήσει πολύ κόσμο που αντιμετωπίζει το πρόβλημα αυτό, έχοντας συμμετάσχει σε πολλά σχετικά, ενημερωτικά σεμινάρια, αλλά και με την ...more
Martin Baggs
Jun 27, 2015 Martin Baggs rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like “Beyond Willpower”. It got a lot of praise and a lot of hype. And I thought it would be good for me. But I come away disappointed. Maybe it’s me, not willing to put the exercises into practice. Maybe it’s how the book tries to marry Christianity and New Age thought together into one syncretistic whole. It just didn’t resonate entirely well with me.

Much of what author Alexander Loyd says sounds good, from the statistic that 97% of self-help books fail due to the fact that
Maurynne  Maxwell
Beyond Willpower

preaches to the choir, but it could have been an evangelist.

Short take: the book gets 3 stars, the author’s program, 4 stars. If you do this stuff, your life does get better, no quibble with that. It just could have been presented so much better!

Upfront disclaimer: I was given access to an e-galley of the book from the publisher through Netgalley, but have not been able to compare it with the published version, since my local bookstore nor library carries it. I do sincerely doubt
Kady24
Dec 09, 2015 Kady24 rated it liked it
This is a semi-fascinating book. I like all his background info and agree it IS more than willpower or we wouldn't have people addicted to half the things they are addicted to. It gets a little dicey with some of his techniques to put into practice but hey! if it works for you, it works for you and I will not be one to argue! Try anything once!
Theresa
Jul 02, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-own
I liked what someone said about this - a 3 for the book and a 4 for content. It could have been half as long if he didn't repeat how he'd been helping people for 25 years over and over. That wasn't the only thing he repeated but it was pretty annoying.
Jeanne
May 13, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to put it all into practice, but from what I've seen so far, this book may hold many answers for me and others. Just by reading the first chapter I discovered that this book is different from every other success book.
Gail M
Aug 26, 2015 Gail M rated it it was ok
I am such a sucker for the new book shelf. I believe this book could be summarized susinctly as "if you act out of love at all times, your life will go better."
Juanita
Mar 07, 2016 Juanita added it
Shelves: self-help
Very inspiring, including many practical exercises.
Pam
Dec 31, 2015 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I really like the underlying message. Some of the details feel pretty kooky to me.
Debi Lantzer
Mar 25, 2015 Debi Lantzer rated it liked it
Shelves: 14andbeyond
These types of books are often pretty tough for me to muddle through for several reasons. Primarily, I have a very strong faith in God and I truly believe with all my heart that problematic issues such as fear and stress can be resolved by turning it over to God and allowing Him to be in control. In Beyond Willpower, Dr. Loyd talks about living in grace, but unfortunately he doesn't give us the course of this grace. I personally believe that the source of grace in our lives is God through His ...more
CL
Jun 05, 2015 CL rated it really liked it
This was a pretty fast read, but I have to admit, I ended up skimming because Loyd had the unfortunate habit of repeating himself from chapter to chapter. I took the sections I highlighted, the bits that Loyd himself says are the core of his philosophy/approach/what-have-you, typed them up in a separate document for my own personal reference (because at the core, it's great stuff), and it was about a two-and-a-half pages. Granted, you need to read a decent chunk to understand what he's getting ...more
Sue
Apr 14, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Thanks to GoodReads for providing me a copy of this book for review.

The cover also claims "from stress to success in 40 days." The book is readable, albeit in sections, it does turn repetitious. I have read some of the ideas previously and have tried them. As for the 40 days claim, I suppose if one does nothing but read this book and journal, perhaps 40 days is possible. However, I do have other commitments and the 40 days is unrealistic for me.
Anna Townsend
Mar 30, 2016 Anna Townsend rated it really liked it
Some absolutely fascinating ideas. I particularly found the use of imagination to deprogram and reprogram useful and of practical help.
We have the same wonderful editor so I was interested to see her approach in this book, it didn't let me down.
Nibrock
Dec 17, 2015 Nibrock rated it really liked it
It was a little long winded, and some bits are fairly confusing, but he makes good points. Going to try to follow his advice and see where it gets me. Will probably have to re-read it in a couple of weeks to try to remember/understand it all again.
Christa JoAnna
Nov 07, 2015 Christa JoAnna rated it it was ok
Seriously there needs to be a God label on these type of books. I get a quarter of the way through and this nutcracker starts talking so much about God crap that I can't even stomach to finish the rest of the book. Seriously there needs to be a God label.
Lynne Pachta
Jun 03, 2015 Lynne Pachta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely the best book I've read recently. I laugh when I think about why affirmations don't work. All I have to tell myself is,"I am a turtle" to realize how ridiculous affirmations are. But this book tells what DOES work and it's amazing !
Sambasivan
Aug 01, 2015 Sambasivan rated it really liked it
Though one knows that love is more powerful than fear, it is always good to get this fact reiterated as life's great learning. A pretty simple program to lead a stressfree and successful journey during the brief sojourn in Earth for every human.
Frank Healy
Jul 15, 2016 Frank Healy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good guide that gives you principles of achieving your goals that you may not have thought of before. It is also a useful guide to achieving inner peace.
Maria Quinn
Jan 05, 2016 Maria Quinn rated it liked it
Intressanta tankar om cellminnen men lite svåra övningar, i början är det enkelt och kraftfullt men jag hade svårt att fokusera efter hand som jag kom längre fram i boken
Krysta Rose Hill
Krysta Rose Hill rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Misty Unzaga
Misty Unzaga rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Mike Scantlebury
Mike Scantlebury rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Yana
Yana rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Joana
Joana rated it it was ok
May 13, 2015
Jody Farnsworth
Jody Farnsworth rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Alina Burtea
Alina Burtea rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Michael Olesen
Michael Olesen rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
Rebecca Fabiano
Rebecca Fabiano rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Get Organized the Clear & Simple Way: Reclaim Your Home, Your Office, Your Life
  • Pathways to Joy: The Master Vivekananda on the Four Yoga Paths to God
  • In Search of Being: The Fourth Way to Consciousness
  • Choosing Happiness: Keys to a Joyful Life
  • How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships
  • Miracle Math: How to Develop a Calculator in Your Head
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • How I Lived a Year on Just a Pound a Day
  • Rainbows on the Moon
  • How To Be A Wicked Witch: Good Spells, Charms, Potions and Notions for Bad Days
  • Daily Candy A to Z: An Insider's Guide to the Sweet Life
  • Difficult Personalities: A Practical Guide to Managing the Hurtful Behavior of Others (and Maybe Your Own)
  • Don'ts for Wives
  • Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of Krishnamacharya
  • Embracing the Beloved: Relationship as a Path of Awakening
  • Autumnal Tints
  • Office Yoga: Simple Stretches for Busy People
  • Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings
Alex Loyd, PhD, ND holds doctorates in Pyschology and Naturopathic Medicine. His 12-year search for a cure for his wife's depression led to the discovery of The Healing Codes system to heal the source of virtually any physical, emotional, success, or relational issue.

"Like" the Healing Code on Facebook

Join the Group on Facebook

Follow @HealingCodeBook on Twitter.

More about Alexander Loyd...