Start by marking “The Career Playbook: Essential Advice for Today's Aspiring Young Professional” as Want to Read:
The Career Playbook: Essential Advice for Today's Aspiring Young Professional

The Career Playbook: Essential Advice for Today's Aspiring Young Professional

Are you about to graduate and begin your job search?

Or are you a young professional looking for that perfect position that will catapult your career?

The career marketplace has never been more competitive, chaotic, and difficult to maneuver. On top of that, today’s graduates are looking not only for good jobs but for positions that will help them launchcareersin which th
Published April 21st 2015 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about The Career Playbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Career Playbook

Amanda
May 08, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-books
The Career Playbook by James M. Citrin.Crown Business (April 21, 2015). 258 pages. Nonfiction, Business, Career. I received this copy through a Goodreads giveaway.

Synopsis: This book gives essential advice for those who are entering the extremely competitive job market.

Review: This book is so valuable. The insight and advice offered are beautifully displayed for the prospective worker. Panic among college students is common and personally I held the constant fear that I was wasting my time and w
Shannon Reilly
May 19, 2015 Shannon Reilly rated it liked it
Shelves: figuring-it-out
This book had a lot of good advice. However, I also felt that a lot of it was common sense, or maybe thats just common sense to a young person who has been job hunting for over a year. It was nothing I haven't heard before, and it is good advice, however until that one person/ organization decides to take a chance on you, you cannot move forward in making any of these things happen. It also showed me that you can be doing everything right, but still get stuck. The only thing I felt I "disagreed" ...more
Rosie
Jun 08, 2015 Rosie rated it it was ok
* I received a free physical copy of this title via Blogging for Books and Crown Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start off by saying that I don’t usually read a ton of non-fiction, particularly self-help books, unless they really call to me or have reached critical acclaim. And The Career Playbook just reinforced why I don’t bother with them: they’re boring, and, particularly in this case, generic and uninspired.

Keep in mind that this review is coming from someone who is activ
David Oren
Nov 02, 2015 David Oren rated it it was ok
James M. Citrin The Career Playbook 2/5
don't like the author's point of view. He's not playing to win but rather to just do 20% better than the average competition. People deserve better than that, I'd suggest reading a book about how to do 500% beter than the average competition.

Linda
Jul 05, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Buy The Career Playbook for a recent graduate. Receiving realistic, useful, and practical advice from Mr. Citrin will help them prepare for the working world. The book also includes helpful tips on doing well after getting the job. Muy importante. Every millennial needs this book, especially if they majored in liberal arts or humanities.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book for free from Penguin Random House/Crown Publishing Blogging for Books in exchange for this review.

Austin Martin
May 24, 2015 Austin Martin rated it really liked it
What I liked the most about this book were the strategies that the author talked about concerning jobs and just starting out. The advice given in this book was invaluable to me and I am sure it would also be to anyone who is just starting out working in their first job. I especially liked reading about the success of others in this book and how they made their way. Excellent advice for anyone who is starting out in the workforce!
Kniedz
Sep 15, 2015 Kniedz rated it really liked it
Incredibly insights for young professionals like me who are trying to navigate the professional post-graduate world. Offering expert advice and real-life experience certainly helped me flag what I can improve on and how I can get to that next step in my career.
Be prepared to read the book with a notebook or an entire stack of post-its so that you are able to remember all the amazing information and advice that Citrin provides.
Wendy Greenley
Jul 03, 2015 Wendy Greenley rated it it was amazing
Today's recommended read at http://www.wendygreenley.com/2015/07/.... Review excerpt: The subtitle of the book--Essential Advice for Today's Aspiring Young Professional--is a good description of the content. It's the information that I would want to give my job-seeking kids, but that kids probably don't want to hear from their parents. And because I believe parents shouldn't be involved in their kids' job search, this book is a super stand in.
Fabrizio Bianchi
Sep 07, 2015 Fabrizio Bianchi rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Apart from the last 2 chapters, one inspirational(about career success =~ happiness, maybe something that needs to be explained in the USA) and the other mostly an ad space, the book is a real little gem, consistently providing actionable and updated tips about all aspects of the career journey in all of its chapters.
The audiobook version has a very high quality audio and narration.
Alex Devero
Aug 13, 2015 Alex Devero rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
You don't have to be a graduate of some Ivy League school to build a solid career for yourself. If you follow your core principles by making sound decisions, working hard and building meaningful relationships, you'll find your way to success. So stay dedicated, present your skills and experience clearly and always be sure to make a good first impression – both in and out of interviews.
Amanda
Aug 23, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Seems solid. It wasn't really relevant to me since I have a few years under my belt. However, there was a jewel in the appendix: the idea to keep a daily log of what you do. Then at the end of the day, rate each task from 1-10. After a few months, look over your log to see what really makes you happy.
Len
Mar 31, 2015 Len rated it really liked it
A broad look at topics which need to be considered by folks 'on the way up' - young professionals. The book's breadth is it's greatest strength, I think - the author reminds young pros to consider many topics, rather than just one. Features 30 generally-helpful b/w illustrations.
Katie Rodemich
Apr 08, 2015 Katie Rodemich rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. It does a good job of breaking down of how the workforce works today. It gives a better understanding of what to expect, what you should consider during the present and your future.

Definitely check out this book.
Qwerty
Oct 07, 2015 Qwerty rated it it was ok
Some good information, but I would recommend "Getting from College to Career" by Lindsay Pollack instead.
Anne-marie Chartier
Anne-marie Chartier rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
Ahmed Hashim
Ahmed Hashim rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Tony Snyder
Tony Snyder rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Cat Roddy
Cat Roddy rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Marc94
Marc94 rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Nick Pierce
Nick Pierce rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Alan Carlson
Alan Carlson rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Saad Ahmed
Saad Ahmed rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Kaz Schmanski
Kaz Schmanski rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Joe Jaffa
Joe Jaffa rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Ronan Anthony O'Reilly
Apr 23, 2016 Ronan Anthony O'Reilly rated it really liked it
Shelves: career
Great Book!
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Forget a Mentor, Find a Sponsor: The New Way to Fast-Track Your Career
  • 101 Strategic, Job Search Marketing Steps: The Helpful Checklist-Guide to All Things Considered Workforce Readiness and Social Media Smart
  • Got Social Mediology?: Using Psychology to Master Social Media for Your Business without Spending a Dime
  • How to Get a Job in 90 Days
  • It's Not Rocket Science: 7 Game-Changing Traits for Uncommon Success
  • Productivity: Big Ideas from the Top 10 Books
  • Navigating the Path to Industry: A Hiring Manager's Advice for Academics Looking for a Job in Industry
  • Reinvent Yourself: Great Coaches Talk about Starting Over
  • The Heart-Led Leader: How Living and Leading from the Heart Will Change Your Organization and Your Life
  • The Seven Things You Should Know about Being a Leader
  • Job U: How to Find Wealth and Success by Developing the Skills Companies Actually Need
  • Work Reimagined: Uncover Your Calling
  • The Job Pirate: An Entertaining Tale of My Job-hopping Journey in America
  • Grit to Great: How Perseverance, Passion, and Pluck Take You from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • The Business Romantic: Give Everything, Quantify Nothing, and Create Something Greater Than Yourself
  • The Mindset of Success: From Good Management to Great Leadership
  • Refire! Don't Retire: Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • Strategy Rules: Five Timeless Lessons from Bill Gates, Andy Grove, and Steve Jobs