Start by marking “Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck” as Want to Read:
Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck

Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck

Meatless meals revamped by the Cinnamon Snail, the vegan food truck with a cult following.

What's the secret behind the Snail's takeover of New York City streets? In all kinds of weather, vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores alike queue up for addictive vegan cuisine from truck owner Adam Sobel. Now Adam brings his food straight to your kitchen, along with stories of the chal
Published May 5th 2015 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Street Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Vegan

Coleen (The Book Ramblings)
Mar 29, 2016 Coleen (The Book Ramblings) rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-drink
After hearing such rave reviews about Street Vegan, I just had to have this cookbook in my collection. I held my expectations high because of everything I heard, and the cookbook is a masterpiece when it comes to not only cooking, but vegan food. I have wanted to strictly eat plant-based due to numerous reasons, but a majority of my decision was due to my hormonal imbalance, and the benefits of adapting to a vegan diet. I did not know where to begin, and quickly became overwhelmed because it can ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Feb 17, 2015 Bark's Book Nonsense marked it as wishlist
Need this in my life.
Janel Gradowski
Aug 19, 2015 Janel Gradowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
There is one eating experience that I absolutely cannot resist indulging in if I have a chance, it's visiting food trucks. I always find the food from trucks to be both delicious and innovative. So I was very excited to see that the chef from one of the most famous food trucks in the country, The Cinnamon Snail, wrote a cookbook.

The truck has won many awards for its cuisine. Upon receiving the cookbook, I understand why. If I ever get a chance to visit NYC, I am definitely going to track down Th
Michael Sedor
Oct 09, 2015 Michael Sedor rated it it was amazing
would love more than anything to see the author competing on Top Chef
Melissa
Jul 26, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This has to be-without a doubt- one of my favorite vegan cookbooks to date. It is creative, innovative and unique in a way that so many other vegan cookbooks are not.

Let me first start by saying this- if you are not a fan of complex, varied condiments and layered dishes, this is not the cookbook for you. Many of the recipes in this book contain ingredients that are a bit out of the way for your average kitchen chef. This is a book for the true vegan foodie, the vegan on a quest for new, innovat
Gwendolyn Kensinger
May 09, 2015 Gwendolyn Kensinger rated it it was amazing
Since starting my vegetarian/vegan diet I have sought out some cookbooks to aid me in my journey. I have reviewed a few vegetarian/vegan cookbooks over the past couple of months and today I'm here to review Street Vegan by Adam Sobel. I've never been to New York City and I've never heard of the Cinnamon Snail prior to delving into Street Vegan. This book features recipes that Adam creates and dispatches from his food truck. Interwoven are bits about how Adam got started on his vegan journey (of ...more
Denise
Jun 27, 2016 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The food looks amazing, the recipes are tricky but par for the course in a non-4-dummies vegan cookbook, but the recipe intro texts and the food truck political asides are really annoying. I have learned I really hate the word "yummy," it is a dead word to me.
Lena Norberg
May 25, 2015 Lena Norberg rated it liked it
Too difficult recipes for me, with too much uncommon ingredients (not just the meat substitutes). Does bring some inspiration though.
Magdalena
Jun 21, 2015 Magdalena rated it liked it
I'm even more sorry The Cinnamon Snail won't be vending now that I see how involved these recipes are. I love to cook, and these recipes are too much work even for me. Good-bye, Gochujuang burger!
James Eckman
Dec 01, 2016 James Eckman rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Foodies
A nice array of recipes along with pantry suggestions, most of which are bit complicated or I have similar recipes for. The back story was fun to read, I still find gourmet roach coaches a mind boggling idea and I'm pissed at New York City for banning them. Too much competition for shitty corporate fast food?
Justin
Oct 03, 2016 Justin rated it it was amazing
Not for the faint of ingredients. This book is going to call for some uncommon stuff (ume plum vinegar is in like half the recipes). I love everything I've cooked in the book and find myself coming back to, and tweaking the Gochujang burger to fit different flavor profiles, as the base recipe is very versatile.
Donna Van
Nov 29, 2015 Donna Van rated it it was amazing
Took Thanksgiving weekend to make an assortment of recipes from Street Vegan. Made White Bean Croquettes with roasted fennel sauce with capers and basil- YUM! Made Garbanzo bean crab cakes with a magical tarter sauce made from Tofu and seasonings that was a huge winner. Made "Pumpkinish" raw pie from pecans, dates, cashews, carrot juice, and sweet potatoes- another winner. The proof of the pudding with a cookbook is making the recipes at home, and I can tell that a lot of thought went into ...more
Grace Dadoyan
Jun 26, 2015 Grace Dadoyan rated it really liked it
You'd be hard-pressed to find someone more passionate about food, and vegan food, than Adam Sobel. This book is filled with interesting stories about his journey into veganism, about the challenges and pleasures of running a food truck and more. The recipes are really unique and stand apart from other vegan cookbooks. What I really want is for Adam to open a restaurant so he can make these for me rather than me make them myself!
Pamela
Oct 27, 2015 Pamela rated it it was ok
Great photos that are inspiring. But the recipes have long lists of ingredients, and too many of them are NOT items that I keep in my fridge/pantry. The recipes are very time intensive and have multiple layers of things to cook. I don't have time for that! I only made one recipe from the book: Live Habanero Tomato Soup -- it was delish! and it was the shortest, simplest recipe in the entire book. Glad I requested this book from the library, because it's not something I'd ever use.
Rachel McCready-Flora
Apr 11, 2016 Rachel McCready-Flora rated it it was amazing
While the recipes in 'Street Vegan' aren't made for the casual cook or the weeknight dinner, the few that we've made so far have been fantastic. Highly recommended for the vegan chef that likes a gourmet challenge, or the doubting Thomas who doesn't understand how awesome vegan food really can be.
Disco
Oct 04, 2015 Disco rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Not for the beginner cook. Gorgeous pictures, but the recipes have a lot of ingredients, many of which are expensive or hard-to-find. Will I make some of these recipes? Sure, but on the weekend when I have a lot of time.
Rj
Mar 06, 2016 Rj rated it liked it
A nice collection of vegan recipes by Adam Sobel owner of the Cinnamon Snail Food Truck. While Sobel has been the winner of a number of awards for his recipes I found myself underwhelmed by the selection and options.
Liz Simmons
Sep 20, 2015 Liz Simmons rated it liked it
Skimmed this and there is some delicious looking food, but none of it is the kind of stuff I'd want to make at home. Lots of it's fried or includes a million ingredients or steps. It's a restaurant cookbook and I would love to go to the restaurant someday. Great photos.
Jason S.
Jun 15, 2015 Jason S. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Having frequented the Snail, I can promise that the recipes within (at least the ones I've tried) are well worth it, even if you're not a vegan. And I'm very much tempted to secure my own copy ... or just photocopy a whole bunch of the recipes within to try on my own.
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Ana Marta
Ana Marta rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Kate Dee
Kate Dee rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Sandy A.
Sandy A. rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Judson Bates
Judson Bates rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Nancy
Feb 29, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it
Beautifully designed book. A little too much seitan and tempeh for me.
Gína Williamsdóttir
Gína Williamsdóttir rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Zac Hollister
Zac Hollister rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Mikevanallen
Mikevanallen rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • One-Dish Vegan: More than 150 Soul-Satisfying Recipes for Easy and Delicious One-Bowl and One-Plate Dinners
  • The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
  • Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen: 150 Pizzas, Pastas, Pestos, Risottos, & Lots of Creamy Italian Classics
  • The Great Vegan Protein Book: Fill Up the Healthy Way with More than 100 Delicious Protein-Based Vegan Recipes
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • The Taco Cleanse: The Tortilla-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life
  • Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Happy Herbivore Light & Lean: Over 150 Low-Calorie Recipes with Workout Plans for Looking and Feeling Great
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes

“Once you are aware that you can live a happy, fully satisfied life without causing harm to animals, being a carnivore is a tough thing to justify.” 1 likes
“truth is, vegetarians and vegans have no rules. When you commit to a vegan lifestyle, all of a sudden there is a wide-open culinary frontier to explore.” 0 likes