Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor

Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor (Mirth of a Nation)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Seriously Funny Writing By Today's Most Celebrated AuthorsAt last, a premier showcase of fifty-four great literary humorists and masters of the journalistic jab, the social spoof, the parodic proof, the satire, the tirade, and the send-up. Here are those "last laughs" and "wit's end" pieces everyone turns to first but then loses in back issues of favorite magazines and new...more
Published February 2nd 2000 by Harper Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Mirth of a Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirth of a Nation

David
Obviously, no anthology of this nature can be uniformly funny. But this collection comes pretty darned close. You will laugh your a** off - that's a promise.

To my knowledge, there are at least three volumes in this series by now. This one, the first, is the best of the three that I've read. The other two are worth considering as well, but definitely start with this one.
Alger
Yes it has funny parts. The problem is that it is the kind of funny that you get in the Shouts and Murmurs page of the New Yorker. Never laugh out loud or very thoughtful, instead the volume lives up to the Thurber House imprint and aims for a solid amuse setting. There it succeeds.

What I wasn't expecting is how sadly dated the jokes are. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of vintage humor; Mencken and Twain are the twin compasses of my soul. But this volume has the very unfortunate fate of bei...more
Tracey
I started reading Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor in early May as a vacation read, from there it became the current bathroom book. It was a pass-along from my mom, along with the sequel [book:More Mirth of a Nation}.

It's a very mixed bag, with a good deal of the material being dated - but I still found quite a few chuckles here and there. I enjoyed the pieces by Sedaris, Updike and Barry - the more political items didn't do a whole lot for me.

Having taken so long to read it makes...more
Virginia
I picked this up because I've been doing some really heavy reading lately. It's a nice break from books on genocide, war, and global warming. And since it's a compilation of essays I can read one or two before falling asleep each night. The material is getting a little dated, though, and I'm not sure I would have picked it out had I known that. The David Sadaris pieces are always good, though.
ba
The premise (a compilation of humorous pieces by various authors) sounded old-fashioned and destined to not be funny. But after reading some positive reviews, I picked this up and really liked it. If you enjoy websites with good writing by satirists and humorists, you'll enjoy this book,
Belinda
I don't know, maybe I don't have a very good sense of humor. I've laughed harder at lunch with my co-workers. I had a couple of chuckles but not one true belly laugh. I feel like I wasted my time.
Maggie
uneven. funny in parts. dull in others. but worth the time anyway just 'cause we need to search for laughs everywhere we can. recommended. second reading.
Linda Appelbaum
Well if you want something funny, don't look here. Only a couple of "essays" made me laugh. Most I could't even finish. Total waste of time.
Mahria
While there were some humorous pieces in this collection (Sedaris, Jon Stewart), the majority left me bored. And I read this on an airplane.
D.
I read about 20 percent of this before giving up. Disappointing. Pieces ranged from mildly amusing to not funny at all.
Andy
I read through, thinking I would eventually get to the "funny part".... only it wasn't there..
Krista Crow
Not bad to listen to as an audio book, but I will admit I skipped more than a few of the stories.
Nathan
As it should be, this was a mixed bag. Anthologies take me a really long time to read.
Deb
1 or 2 good stories. Ending up doing a lot of skimming towards the end.
Jimmy
Hit and miss...
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Dixie Meeks
Dixie Meeks is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Nathan Harris
Nathan Harris marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Stevek
Stevek marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Zed
Zed marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Fussnik
Fussnik marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
My Website should provide all this and more. It's http://www.fidosopher.com.
I'm the author, illustrator, or editor of some 80 books for both adults and children, including poetry, humor, anthologies, and cookbooks. Recent titles include THE CUCKOO'S HAIKU AND OTHER POEMS FOR BIRDERS, OUR FARM, and the fall 2009 title, NO DRIBBLING THE SQUID, a humorous look at some 75 far-fetched, fringe, and fre...more
More about Michael J. Rosen...
The Cuckoo's Haiku: and Other Birding Poems Night of the Pumpkinheads The Hound Dog's Haiku: and Other Poems for Dog Lovers 101 Damnations: The Humorists' Tour of Personal Hells More Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor