Start by marking “Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor” as Want to Read:
Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor

Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor (Mirth of a Nation)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Seriously Funny Writing By Today's Most Celebrated AuthorsAt last, a premier showcase of fifty-four great literary humorists and masters of the journalistic jab, the social spoof, the parodic proof, the satire, the tirade, and the send-up. Here are those "last laughs" and "wit's end" pieces everyone turns to first but then loses in back issues of favorite magazines and new ...more
Published February 2nd 2000 by Harper Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Mirth of a Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirth of a Nation

David
Obviously, no anthology of this nature can be uniformly funny. But this collection comes pretty darned close. You will laugh your a** off - that's a promise.

To my knowledge, there are at least three volumes in this series by now. This one, the first, is the best of the three that I've read. The other two are worth considering as well, but definitely start with this one.
Alger
Yes it has funny parts. The problem is that it is the kind of funny that you get in the Shouts and Murmurs page of the New Yorker. Never laugh out loud or very thoughtful, instead the volume lives up to the Thurber House imprint and aims for a solid amuse setting. There it succeeds.

What I wasn't expecting is how sadly dated the jokes are. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of vintage humor; Mencken and Twain are the twin compasses of my soul. But this volume has the very unfortunate fate of bei
Tracey
I started reading Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor in early May as a vacation read, from there it became the current bathroom book. It was a pass-along from my mom, along with the sequel [book:More Mirth of a Nation}.

It's a very mixed bag, with a good deal of the material being dated - but I still found quite a few chuckles here and there. I enjoyed the pieces by Sedaris, Updike and Barry - the more political items didn't do a whole lot for me.

Having taken so long to read it makes
Virginia
I picked this up because I've been doing some really heavy reading lately. It's a nice break from books on genocide, war, and global warming. And since it's a compilation of essays I can read one or two before falling asleep each night. The material is getting a little dated, though, and I'm not sure I would have picked it out had I known that. The David Sadaris pieces are always good, though.
ba
The premise (a compilation of humorous pieces by various authors) sounded old-fashioned and destined to not be funny. But after reading some positive reviews, I picked this up and really liked it. If you enjoy websites with good writing by satirists and humorists, you'll enjoy this book,
Belinda
I don't know, maybe I don't have a very good sense of humor. I've laughed harder at lunch with my co-workers. I had a couple of chuckles but not one true belly laugh. I feel like I wasted my time.
Maggie
uneven. funny in parts. dull in others. but worth the time anyway just 'cause we need to search for laughs everywhere we can. recommended. second reading.
Linda Appelbaum
Well if you want something funny, don't look here. Only a couple of "essays" made me laugh. Most I could't even finish. Total waste of time.
Mahria
While there were some humorous pieces in this collection (Sedaris, Jon Stewart), the majority left me bored. And I read this on an airplane.
D.
I read about 20 percent of this before giving up. Disappointing. Pieces ranged from mildly amusing to not funny at all.
Andy
I read through, thinking I would eventually get to the "funny part".... only it wasn't there..
Krista Crow
Not bad to listen to as an audio book, but I will admit I skipped more than a few of the stories.
Nathan
As it should be, this was a mixed bag. Anthologies take me a really long time to read.
Deb
1 or 2 good stories. Ending up doing a lot of skimming towards the end.
Jimmy
Hit and miss...
hrleclai
hrleclai marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Olivia Johnson
Olivia Johnson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Carrie Lan
Carrie Lan marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Wade
Wade added it
Apr 01, 2015
Natfoxxfiends
Natfoxxfiends marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Leave the Building Quickly: True Stories
  • McSweeney's #20
  • Post-it Note Diaries: 20 Stories of Youthful Abandon, Embarrassing Mishaps, and Everyday Adventure
  • Not So Funny When It Happened: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure
  • Rotten English: A Literary Anthology
  • The Heath Anthology of American Literature: Volume D: Modern Period, 1910-1945
  • My Life, Volume II: The Presidential Years
  • Edward R. Murrow and the Birth of Broadcast Journalism
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • The Vintage Book of Amnesia: An Anthology of Writing on the Subject of Memory Loss
  • Literature: An Introduction to Reading and Writing
  • Touchy Subjects: Stories
  • The Day I Turned Uncool: Confessions of a Reluctant Grown-up
  • Bizarre Books
  • The Best American Short Stories 2004
  • The Borden Tragedy: A Memoir of the Infamous Double Murder at Fall River, Mass., 1892 (A Treasury of Victorian Murder)
  • As Seen on TV: Provocations
  • Cool, Calm & Contentious
My Website should provide all this and more. It's http://www.fidosopher.com.
I'm the author, illustrator, or editor of some 80 books for both adults and children, including poetry, humor, anthologies, and cookbooks. Recent titles include THE CUCKOO'S HAIKU AND OTHER POEMS FOR BIRDERS, OUR FARM, and the fall 2009 title, NO DRIBBLING THE SQUID, a humorous look at some 75 far-fetched, fringe, and fre
More about Michael J. Rosen...

Mirth of a Nation (2 books)
  • More Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor
The Cuckoo's Haiku: and Other Birding Poems Night of the Pumpkinheads The Hound Dog's Haiku: and Other Poems for Dog Lovers 101 Damnations: The Humorists' Tour of Personal Hells Poems for the Very Young