Start by marking “Girls of Summer (Shelter Rock Cove, #2)” as Want to Read:
Girls of Summer (Shelter Rock Cove, #2)

Girls of Summer (Shelter Rock Cove #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  363 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
If home is where the heart is, then Ellen Markowitz might as well set up house in the delivery room of Shelter Rock Cove General. She loves being an OB-GYN--and she's fallen hard for the charming coastal village where she's lived for the last three years. That's not the only thing she's fallen hard for ... but her crush on Dr. Hall Talbot was supposed to remain a secret. A ...more
Published November 4th 2003 by Berkley (first published November 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Girls of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls of Summer

Rhea
May 12, 2015 Rhea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I wasn't planning to read this book because Hall was not one of my favorite characters in the first Shelter Rock Cove book but I did like Ellen so I bought it. Now I'm angry. This book was so good, full of emotion and I was brought to tears several times. I loved Hall and Ellen's story as well as that of Deirdre and Scott. But now I'm angry? Why? Because the stories aren't finished! I want to know what happens to Deirdre and Scott and to Susan and Jack. The same thing happened at the end of the ...more
Aug 30, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Girls of Summer is the second contemporary romance novel in Barbara Bretton's Shelter Cove series.

Ellen Markowitz has been lusting over Hall Talbot for months. Ellen and Hall are both gynecologists who work for the same practice, so Ellen is usually faced with her heart's desire nearly every day.

After an impromptu and spontaneous drunken night on the town, Ellen and Hall have a steamy one-night-stand (which is actually how Girls of Summer begins). Ellen is then forced to confront her ongoing fee
Elle
Apr 10, 2011 Elle rated it really liked it
I was hoping this was going to be more of a beach read, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

The first thing that bothered me was how quickly the author introduced a whole bunch of characters in the beginning of the book. It was kind of confusing.

Secondly, the story of the disconnection with Ellen and her family was kind of sad. It just didn't grab me in a way that I felt like I wanted to read on and find out more about the heartache of how she did not feel a part of either side of her family.

The
Lorena Helfers
I did not care for this story

I have read other stories by this author and loved them. This story had "way" too much of thoughts and regrets and descriptions of everything and everything. I skipped over many pages as I was sick of all the empty words.
I will not give up on said author. There are too many stories that I loved.
Sandee Rodriguez
I loved this two book saga.

Fun read about a small town where everybody knows everybody located in Maine. Three sisters who ended up closer to each other once they gave each other a chance.
Wanda
Oct 02, 2015 Wanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review for Girls of Summer (Shelter Rock Cove-Book #2)

I gave this 5 stars because I loved this book! It held my interest throughout the entire book. I love the happy ending no cliffhanger !
Audrey Bramhall
Jan 27, 2016 Audrey Bramhall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

This was the second book in Barbara Bretton'sShelter Cove series. It was not as good story as the first book. I hope the authorial write third story about Deirdre.
Kathryn R Ledlie
Great book!

Had enjoyed book 1 so much that I jumped into book 2 right away, and was not disappointed!
Highly recommend!
Susannah Carleton
Oct 31, 2015 Susannah Carleton rated it it was amazing
Best. Book. Ever. I love this story of love and families, friends and community. Ellen Markowitz and Hall Talbot were introduced in the first book of the Shelter Cove series (A Soft Place to Fall), and I was intrigued by both of them there. They star in this book, and it's a story that you'll remember long after you finish the book.

I've read this book 20 or 30 times, perhaps more, and every time I read it, the characters and story pull me in, so that it's difficult to put the book down. It's a g
Linda
Feb 03, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
Revised review after reading "A Soft Place to Fall", the prequel to this book. I like this author. She's a lot of fun to read.

This book must be part of a series. There were so many characters that I kept having to stop and re-read just to place them. Even the dog had a person's name (Stanley)! Anyway, I'm excited to read more, I just want a little less overview of everyone in small-town Maine and more of the great love story she wrote. I liked these characters. It was fun to read about OB/GYN
Rachel Rogers
Sep 01, 2009 Rachel Rogers rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first (?) book in this series about Annie and Sam. Nice to see the cast and setting return. Bretton's work is romance about not perfect people. While I enjoy the perfect people who are described by Nora Roberts and othes, these are a bit more realistic and also nice in that the characters are older than 25. The issue of what is happening to Susan is a bit troublesome sometimes and makes me wonder if she and Jack will be back in another book; one that paints them in a more sympathet ...more
Alex
Jan 08, 2016 Barbara Tobis rated it really liked it
Cute story
Angie
Jul 07, 2014 Angie rated it it was ok
The writing was simple, the story predictable. But an ok summer read.
Sandra
Jul 21, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. I loved how it played on our interpretation of what family should be and what it truly is. I also loved how it showed how our assumptions of what others think or what they do actually think affect our decisions and our happiness. The enlightenment in the end proves OUR perceptions make a world of difference in OUR happiness.
Cris
Aug 11, 2009 Cris rated it really liked it
I picked this book because I so love Casting Spells and was having a hard time waiting until Aug. when Laced in Magic comes out. I enjoy this book. It's a GREAT summer read. Oh Julie the main characters are OB-GYNs who have worked together for several years and discover they have deep feelings for each other.
Cynthia Thomason
Nov 24, 2011 Cynthia Thomason rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The three women heroines were all so unique. They had problems relating to each other and understanding each other, but by the end a tragedy brought them together. The two love stories were well developed and satisfying. This is a very touching book.
Desiree reilly
Jun 05, 2010 Desiree reilly rated it it was amazing
i recived t his book a wahile back form a pen pal and missed placed
it and then found it i could not put the book down and read it in 2 day and i can say she catches the person and has fun doing it the sister go
through all hell and come out great freisnd at the the end
Barbara
Aug 11, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Very good book about 3 sisters (2 were half sisters) and they all had the same father, Billy O'Brien. Dr. Ellen fell in love with Dr. Hall Talbot, became pregnant and then they were married with all the extended family in attendance. Very good!
Mom2jngncna~ Stephannie
Jul 15, 2010 Mom2jngncna~ Stephannie marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
THIS book does not follow Shore Lights..... the following book to Shore Lights is Chances Are....... I spent 89 pages going insane trying to figure out where the O'Malley's etc are/were... before I saw the synposis in the back for Chnaces Are!
Megalion
Jan 30, 2016 Megalion rated it really liked it
If you haven't read "A Soft Place to Fall" yet, read THAT one first before reading this one. I mistakenly read this one first but either way, I'm enjoying both books.
Nettle
There is something old-fashioned about the writing, but I was willing to be drawn into the characters' lives.
Phil Hodge
Aug 03, 2012 Phil Hodge rated it it was ok
Cheap trashy romance novel that someone gave Margie. OK, occupied two evenings.
Marianne
Dec 09, 2012 Marianne rated it really liked it
First time with this author, and really liked the book. Great characters.
Cathy Rooney jones
hoping for more about hall and Ellen and Dee and scott
Ellen Henricks
Jan 03, 2012 Ellen Henricks rated it really liked it
I love Barbara Bretton - she's one of my favorite authors!
Emily
Jun 09, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
It was okay ... definitely wanted to finish it!
Jen
  • The Spirit of Sweetgrass
  • Crescent
  • The Immortals
  • Second Draft of My Life: A Novel
  • The Art of Temptation (Regency Chase Family Series #3)
  • The Chick Palace
  • The Sex on the Beach Book Club
  • Bone Worship
  • The Tiara Club
  • How High the Moon
  • The Southern Belle's Handbook: Sissy LeBlanc's Rules to Live by
  • Socialite Evenings
  • A Sweethaven Christmas
  • Highland Song (The Highland Brides, #4.5)
  • Along Came Mary (Bad Girl Creek #2)
  • At the Queen's Summons (Tudor Rose,  #3)
Barbara Bretton is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of more than 40 books. She currently has over ten million copies in print around the world. Her works have been translated into twelve languages in over twenty countries.

Barbara has been featured in articles in The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Romantic Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Herald News, Home News, Somer
More about Barbara Bretton...

Shelter Rock Cove (2 books)
  • A Soft Place to Fall (Shelter Rock Cove, #1)