Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  894 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Born Rita Rizzo in Canton, Ohio in 1923, Mother Angelica was abandoned by her father and raised in poverty by a mother who suffered suicidal depressions. As a young woman, after Rita developed severe abdominal pain she sought the prayers of a local mystic and her symptoms disappeared. Awakened to the power of prayer, she vowed to dedicate her life to God and became a clois...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 27th 2005 by Servant Books (first published 2005)

Karina
The parts about EWTN remind me of another acronym, another media initiative - SQPN. Both completely rely on God's providence, feeling that they are doing God's work, and trusting that they will have enough money. There are some differences, of course.

The life of Mother Angelica is also inspirational spiritually. In that regard it reminded me of St. Therese of Lisieux somewhat. Her struggle with the librarian sister and the revelation that she needed to love her, whom she thought unlovable... Her...more
booklady
For many Catholics, reading this would be old news. I wish I could say that was the case for me. Sadly, I was an absentee or a half-hearted Catholic for more years than I like to remember or admit. In the 1980's, my excuse was I lived overseas. In the 1990's, I could claim I was busy with little children and seven moves in ten years. But the truth was, my faith just wasn't a priority then.

I can't remember the first time I heard of Mother Angelica and EWTN, but I sure wish I'd been more aware of...more
Gidget J.L. Barrett
I've watched Mother Angelica since the early 70's as a child, from our home across the border, in Georgia. I've always been inspired by her sheer human qualities. Mother Angelica, as with a great many nuns, women, and/or entrepreneurs has control over her mind, spirit, and body. Her faith takes care of the why's and how-comes while she just pursues the doing! A true mentor whether one is a homemaker, career woman, or a nun. My favorite sentence in the book - one I'll always remember - is that on...more
Trailhoundz
Although I have never been a huge fan of Mother Angelica's TV shows or theology-- I guess I'm part of that damnable "liberal" contingent that she despises-- I always enjoy reading about strong women in the Church. Mother Angelica certainly fits the bill. This book was very fast-paced, readable, and --much to my surprise-- inspiring. It was so moving to me, I found myself sobbing at the last page. It's definitely not written from a 'neutral' viewpoint, so I would have liked to hear other viewpoin...more
MaryElizabeth
Very well written, very engaging story and well paced. A page-turner that easily absorbed all of my attention, so much that I snipped at my husband for interrupting my reading (sorry, honey).

A true story of a woman who succeeds against all odds, save for God's grace and her faith. An interesting look, too, at one woman who embraces and reacts to the tumultuous changes in the past few decades not only of the Catholic church after Vatican II, but also of the swiftly evolving media.

Definitely a sto...more
Rochelle Reding
So many times we get bogged down in worrying about how difficult something will be that many of us don't even take the first step. I found this so inspiring that a cloistered nun from humble roots can accomplish so much by relying solely on her faith and unwavering belief that if she is doing God's work, he will take care of the details if she walks on the path upon which he is leading her. I did not grow up in the Catholic Church and found much of the history of the tumultuous period following...more
Micah Scelsi
A bit lengthy of a book and one has to wonder about how nice of a person this nun is sometimes, but what really comes out in this book is just an amazing story of an ordinary person who has extraordinary faith and does amazing works with God's help. Mother Angelica is an ordinary person who understands the trials that normal people go through. She did not put on airs. It is an amazing history and quite remarkable how she fought against the bishops of America to bring an orthodox faith to the peo...more
Leftbanker
I have not read this book nor do I plan on doing so.

Great, a religious media empire. I can't imagine causing the world more harm. Why not start the world's biggest small pox epidemic or cause the world's biggest tidal wave?

And what the hell is a "network of miracles?" Since there is no such thing as a miracle does this mean that it's the same thing as a network of lies? Or maybe a network of fairy tales?

And another thing, maybe if about 99% of nuns didn't look like this busquaffalo (sp?) priests...more
Edie
Raymond Arroyo is a great writer. This is a great story and it didn't hurt a bit that the "star" of the show wiil some day be on the fast track to sainthood. I keep my TV on EWTN.
Robert Murphy
I love this book and have read it many times. Its a great story about Mother Angelica's life from childhood to present day. The things I like about the book best are how it shows her determination and faith. She's also a good example of how if you believe in something stick to it and stand up for it and she did so without resorting to fist fights, guns or other violence. She became a great sign for orthodox catholic faith and her tv shows are love by many and the network still carries her spirit...more
Brice Higginbotham
This is a great story about a great woman. Raymond Arroyo did a wonderful job synthesizing a complete, entertaining, and engaging narrative. He presented Mother Angelica, as far as I can tell, with great truth. She's a saintly woman, but not a woman without her own struggles and mistakes. I was particularly aided in my own journey as I read about how Mother grew in virtue and holiness over the years. I highly recommend it for some light, inspiring reading. Main lesson: trust Jesus...completely!
Kristen
Super interesting. 3.5 stars
Michelle
Toni
If you're religious, you may really enjoy this book. If you aren't, you'll probably hate it. My book club picked this and I could NOT make it through the book. WAY too much about faith healing & mysticism for me.

That being said, I think for someone who is Catholic, it may be an interesting book. Just not a good book for something like a book club.
Grace
This biography was thorough, mostly sympathetic to Mother Angelica, and often moving. Mother Angelica's story is compelling, though the narrative of her long battles in the 80s and 90s with church officials does drag a bit unless you find church intrigue interesting.

Her story is an inspiring example of a life-long and single-minded devotion to Jesus.
Ledezma
This book contains a remarkable story of one nun, her personal obedience to God and the many, many, many trials she overcame! If you are in a time of discernment or questioning your faith, this awesome true story will inspire you beyond belief. Yes, it is based on a Catholic nun but if you like underdog stories you'll love this one!
Northern
I can't recommend this book highly enough. Just amazing. People who've had the harsh life that this woman had just don't turn out like Mother Angelica. Outside of the author thinking Buffalo is in upstate New York (lol) the book is flawless, in my opinion.
Maria
This was an interesting book as well but it seemed to get very repetitive and I found myself about 150 pages into it skipping half pages so I decided to read it when I have more time to really sit with a book. I have to say she was quite a fiery nun though!
Mike
Its been awhile since I read this book but I felt it was a fair tome on one of the Media people of the contemporary Catholic Church in Mother Angelica. A very good story on the start of one of the largest Catholic Media sources of EWTN.
Jean Scheffler
Very interesting book. Facinating picture of this womans life and what God means to her. Gets a little bogged down in the middle with religous politics but once you can get through that it is a very good read.
Camille
Remarkable true story of what great heights a simple woman can scale armed not with money, but with faith. Has been a constant reminder of what parterning with God can accomplish.
Laurie
Life's hardships and challenges never stopped Mother Angelica. Whether one is Catholic or not, Mother Angelica is an amazing woman. Her accomplishments are an inspiration to all.
Elizabeth Joseph
This was a very inspiring read literally prodding me about my own Catholic faith. And I surely do salute Mother's nerve to fight with the liberal American Catholic bishops.
Teresa
Raymond Arroyo managed to capture this incredible woman's strenghts and vulnerabilities that you just fall in love with her even when she is as stubborn as a mule.
Anne
I read this book after hearing a friend talk about Mother Angelica. I did not know the story of EWTN nor did I know much about Mother Angelica. Inspiring story.
Bee
Inspirational and Funny.. yet, also one that helps you see into the personal life of a woman who has changed the way Catholics and others can follow thine word via EWTN.
Bonnie Munn
Jun 16, 2007 Bonnie Munn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Catholic or non-Catholic spiritual person
Amazing and easy to read. I kept reading parts outloud to anyone who was around me! I cried several times and want to buy my own copy so I can reread this book!
C.
Mother Angelica is a remarkable foundress and entrepreneur - I thoroughly enjoyed reading this account of a very human, very driven woman striving towards holiness.
Christine
Amazing, talented, earthy, faith filled woman; the story gets caught up in politics of the institutions of "church" at time, but a very interesting story.
Gino
A remarkable Nun who created the largest religious Radio/TV/Satellite/shortwave network in the world. She started with $200 and a garage business.
  • Surprised by Truth
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Salt of the Earth: The Church at the End of the Millennium - An Interview With Peter Seewald
  • Life of Christ
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • Crossing the Threshold of Hope
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • The Life of Saint Teresa of Ávila by Herself
  • Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Fire within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
Raymond Arroyo is an award winning journalist, a New York Times Bestselling author, and a producer. He is the news director and lead anchor of EWTN News; creator and host of the international news magazine The World Over Live seen in 200 million households each week. Arroyo lives in the Washington DC area with his wife and children.
More about Raymond Arroyo...
Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality Mother Angelica's Private and Pithy Lessons from the Scriptures The Prayers and Personal Devotions of Mother Angelica Mother Angelica - The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles Kerman Derman and the Relic of Perilous Falls