Start by marking “The Future Is Short: Science Fiction in a Flash” as Want to Read:

The Future Is Short: Science Fiction in a Flash

Here is flash science fiction at its finest—swift to read but long remembered. 57 amazing speculative fiction capsules that transport you into thrilling worlds of imagination and ideas, suggesting that everything is possible—aliens, time travel, other worlds, and the mysteries of Earth—in breathtakingly fresh combinations. Th
Published June 29th 2014 by Lillicat Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Future Is Short, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future Is Short

Clare O'Beara
Nov 16, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, short-stories
A feast of lively SF, fantasy and speculative fiction is bundled tightly in this package. Flash fiction - very short stories - explains how 57 stories occupy only 86 pages. This means that we can dip in and out of the brilliant ideas, skipping from time travel to space travel and back to travel on our roads, in the blink of an eye.

I find it tough to pick favourites although I must mention the stories by the editors;

'Town Line Road' by Jot Russell introduces an engineer who, while a child, had
Jessica
Jul 19, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading short stories as much as I do writing them. They are a fun escape from our busy, busy lives, giving us a taste of another world, or an interesting character and providing a simple yet often thought-provoking narrative. This is a collection of 57 short stories, all of them are under 725 words. There are some fantastic stories in this collection that I enjoyed immensely and there are more than a few 5 star reads in here. A few of my favorites are: Town Line Road by Jot Russell- A ...more
Ashley Macgregor
Science fiction has great appeal due to the imagined worlds, weird aliens, possible futures, time travel. Unlike a science fiction novel that’s restricted to its plot, this collection of short stories delves into just about every genre of science fiction, and I found it really enjoyable. Wondering what each micro-story will be about, and how the images and characters unfold in a short space makes this a rewarding read.
The stories are all well written and the majority have intriguing plots. The c
D.E.
Jul 08, 2014 D.E. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A Quick Bite, But Just Not Enough

I'll start with full disclosure and state that short stories are not my preference to read. I find that they end up usually being an info dump with unsatisfying endings and too many unanswered questions. So, I hesitated before I picked up this collection – but the concept intrigued me and decided to give it a try.

The concept of these "microstories" was unique. Each story is based off of a general situation description, with a few parameters, and limited to 725 wo
Kerry Reis
Jul 06, 2014 Kerry Reis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-version
57 micro-stories written by 31 authors, each story restricted to no more than 725 words - this anthology is considered the best of the submissions to a monthly Science Fiction Microstories Contest over a course of a couple of years. Since a 725 word story is barely a four page work, this anthology is a very quick read, comparable to enjoying a box of mixed chocolates. However, although most of the chocolates are delicious, some blends are less tasty. The stories in this collection cover a broad ...more
E.J. Lamprey
Nov 16, 2014 E.J. Lamprey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a beta reader on this anthology and can't wait for the final version to come out, even at beta stage it was exceptional It is one of those anthologies you'll keep forever on your Kindle because the stories are the ideal length for the commuter or anyone who likes to dive into a reliable collection whenever life throws one of those 'hurry up and wait' moments.

I gave it 4 stars, not 5, purely because two of the stories are mine (under my 'other' name) and a 5 would look suspect. The joy of
Jot Russell
Nov 16, 2014 Jot Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An impressive set of unique writers providing their unique interpretation of a monthly contest theme. This book represents a year's worth of 3 minute stories wrapped up in micro fashion. If you have a few minutes to spare, then a full story is waiting for you.

My vote, based on uniqueness in form and function goes to Andrew Gurcak's Collateral Damage. In my mind, sometimes the best sci-fi is the one that is the most troubling.
Stephen Kennedy
Oct 25, 2014 Stephen Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing what these writers were able to do in so few words. From the characters, plot, climax and outcome, these stories paint a full picture, proving it doesn't take a thousand words.

If I had to pick, Town Line Road by Jot Russell would get the nod for turning the plot back on itself. Would love to see this as a full length novel or movie.
Stephen Kennedy
Nov 16, 2014 Stephen Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Thaddeus Howze
Dec 28, 2015 Thaddeus Howze rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Gene Hilgreen
Sep 27, 2016 Gene Hilgreen rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dorthe
Dorthe rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Austin
Austin rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Chofy y Marian
Chofy y Marian rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2016
Keep Calm Novel On
Keep Calm Novel On rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Jarvis Sheffield
Jarvis Sheffield rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
W. A.  Fix
W. A. Fix rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Andy Gurcak
Andy Gurcak rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Marianne
Oct 29, 2015 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Jeremy Lichtman
Sep 01, 2015 Jeremy Lichtman rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: author
Andy McKell
Andy McKell marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Richard Bunning
Richard Bunning marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Sharon Kraftchak
Sharon Kraftchak marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Andy McKell
Nov 07, 2014 Andy McKell added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Thia H
Thia H marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Dave JustDave
Dave JustDave marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Andy McKell
May 27, 2016 Andy McKell added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kimberlie
Kimberlie marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Georgia Acker
Georgia Acker marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2016