Start by marking “Heroes Die Young (Aston West #1)” as Want to Read:
Heroes Die Young (Aston West #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Heroes Die Young (Aston West #1)

Space pirate Aston West has come across derelict freighters many times before. But this latest catch, fresh out of a recent battle, proves to be a little more than he expected. He can’t fight the urge to pilfer a valuable cache of illegal contraband, but discovers one last stowaway who tries to kill Aston. Attack craft return to finish the ship off and Aston has no choice ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd
Published August 7th 2014 by Crosshairs Press (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Heroes Die Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes Die Young

Brit Blaise
May 12, 2009 Brit Blaise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aston West is a reluctant hero, in the vein of Hans Solo, ruggedly handsome and an intergalactic chick magnet. At first he a appears shallow and self-serving, but bit by bit the layers of his wounded-bad-boy psyche are peeled away until the reader realizes that this is a man you want to standing beside in a fight, a man who can get the job done.

In the course of his trade, scavenging, Aston errantly runs amok of the fatally conflicted political aspirations of two planets and isn’t sure who is fri
Patrick
Sep 25, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This space pirate...ahem, excuse me. This scavenger has quickly become one of my favorite literary characters of recent. Very real, very relatable. Hunter does a tremendous job of presenting the story in a future universe that could come about. Well-paced action coupled with believable characters make this book a must-read.
Robert Collins
Aug 18, 2009 Robert Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a nice, tight little SF novel. Aston West is a scavenging spaceship pilot who, while on a routine cargo run, gets caught up in a tricky political struggle between two worlds. It reads quickly and is paced well.
Selena Lang
Dec 08, 2011 Selena Lang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a pretty good short story. fast paced, but short on the character - not well fleshed out. worth reading though.
T.K. Toppin
Aug 03, 2010 T.K. Toppin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a little disappointed that it ended too quickly. Really enjoyed this book. The pace was quick, the action just right and the story just kept moving nicely.
Joyce Scarbrough
I read this book with a sense of dread from the beginning, because I could tell from the size of the book that it wasn't going to take me nearly as far into the life of the main character--Aston West--as I wanted to go. Aston is such an engaging guy who keeps getting heroism dropped into his lap no matter how hard he tries to avoid it, and although he does his best to convince us that he's a cad, his true character shows through in everything he does.

Heroes Die Young is a fast-paced trip into As
L.T. Getty
Jul 15, 2012 L.T. Getty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fun Space Romp

This is classified as Space Opera - I'd consider it a hybrid of Star Trek and Star Wars, following a sort of anti or reluctant hero just out to make ends meet. I'm not 100% familiar with this genre, but this is well-written and mostly fun, easy read. My main complaint is that due to the length, it feels like we were just getting into the world and the story ended. Fortunately, if you like this sort of thing, there's more stories where it came from. I could have done without the g
Erin
I received a free copy as part of the Goodreads First Read Giveaway. It arrived in the mail today and I am excited to read it.

While sci-fi isn't really my scene, I thought this novel was well written. The characters were well developed and the plot had some nice twists. At times I was reminded of Star Wars and Star Trek (but in a good way). The main character, Aston West, was just trying to make a living. But, when he realizes that his actions could lead to numerous deaths, he did the right thi
Lyndon
Jun 25, 2015 Lyndon rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to the world of Aston West. A space pirate, smuggler, but ultimately an "EveryMan" who follows his moral compass despite the predicaments that personal sense of honor lands him in. Recommended for lovers of space opera and sci-fi adventure.
Laurel
Apr 14, 2012 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I once again really enjoyed my trip into the Aston West universe. Deceptively complex, Heroes Die Young does not disappoint in action and intrigue. Aston once again gets caught in the crossfire of events that leave him wishing to preserve his hide - understandably. A great space romp.
Cary Caffrey
Dec 29, 2011 Cary Caffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action, suspense and thrills (in space!). T.M. Hunter delivers an excellent read with this action-adventure. Aston West is a great new swashbuckling hero, deserving of a lengthy series.

Fun and thoroughly entertaining!
Sweetpea
Feb 07, 2015 Sweetpea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the GoodReads First Reads program in exchange for an honest review. A well written, fast-paced science fiction novel, great main character. Enjoyable read, would recommend to fans of this genre.
Eric Johnson
Aug 29, 2010 Eric Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten into T.M. Hunter's through Ray Gun Revival, and intrigued at the whole universe he created. Great work!
Paul Prestidge
Paul Prestidge rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Lyndon
Lyndon rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Nancy Sirpilla
Nancy Sirpilla rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2013
Matthew Burr
Matthew Burr rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Bob Robins
Bob Robins rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Jess Crafts
Jess Crafts rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2014
Colin Brown
Colin Brown rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Tony Hale
Tony Hale rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Rudy Kraus
Rudy Kraus rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Carla F
Carla F rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
R.J. Dennis
R.J. Dennis rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Mervi
Mervi rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2013
Niratisaya Niratisaya
Niratisaya Niratisaya rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2009
Ove
Ove rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Christa Ehrstein
Christa Ehrstein rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2012
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Mandy Walkden-Brown rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
  • Sovran's Pawn (The Black Wing Chronicles, #1)
  • Dremiks
  • Report from Planet Midnight
  • The Key (Project Enterprise, #1)
  • Paradise 21 (A New Dawn, #1)
  • Sound Bender (Sound Bender #1)
  • dead, but dreaming
  • Maxx Fragg, V.P.I.
  • Time Will Tell
  • An Echo Through the Trees
  • Earthseed
  • Star Nomad (Fallen Empire, #1)
  • Chaos (Cy Reed Adventures, #1)
  • Trina the Hydro Killer
  • Discordia (The Inferno Trilogy, #1)
  • OTOLI
  • How to Publish an eBook on a Budget - An Author's Guide
  • Buried Pasts
T. M. Hunter has always had a fascination with travel to other worlds, earning a B. S. in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Kansas. His works have often been compared to the great pulp writers of the past, which made his multiple appearances in RAY GUN REVIVAL seem almost destined. He mainly writes in his Aston West universe, with three novels in the series (HEROES DIE YOUNG, FRIENDS IN ...more
More about T.M. Hunter...

Aston West (4 books)
  • Friends in Deed (Aston West #2)
  • Death Brings Victory (Aston West #3)
  • All Good Things (Aston West #4)