Start by marking “Murder Carries A Torch (Southern Sisters Mystery Series, #7)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Murder Carries A Torch

Anne George

Murder Carries A Torch (Southern Sisters #7)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  1,995 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Though unalike as snowflakes, sisters Patricia Anne and Mary Alice share a sympathetic heart for their distraught cousin Luke -- known affectionately in his boyhood as "Pukey Lukey," because of his penchant for getting sick in moving vehicles. Luke is desperate to hunt down Virginia, his wife of forty years, who has run off with a housepainter/snake-handling preacher named ...more
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Carries A Torch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Carries A Torch

Ed
May 23, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sister and Mouse in this outing run up against a murder in a snake handling folks's church. They aren't sleuths in the strict sense of the word, but they figure out whodunit in their smart and funny way. I love how they two sisters interact with each other, and their very different personalities. A fun series by the late Anne George is one of my favorite cozy mystery reads.
Mary Beth
Jul 05, 2014 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS! This has to be one of the best cozy mystery series out there. The sisters are hilarious. Patricia and Mary Alice are sisters and they solve mysteries. They received a phone call from their cousin Luke (whose nickname is Lukey Pukey because he had car sickness when he was a child) and he is frantic because his wife Virginia ran off with the painter /snake. handling preacher. He wants them to track down Virginia who has disappeared. They find out where the preacher lives. Virginia is no ...more
Barb
Jun 07, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to put up this same review for the entire series. Instead of reading this set of books, I listened to the audiobook versions of the entire series. The series is about a couple of sisters that bumble onto murders and wind up solving them. I don't know if it's the books, or the reader that I liked the most. By the time I had finished a couple of the books, I felt like the reader and the characters were old friends. The stories are light, easy to follow, and not terribly complex, but to m ...more
Jane
Jan 29, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very sad that this author has passed away. This is the last one that I get to read - and probably the best. There are snake handling religious folks, a wife that leaves her husband to go to a dance competition with and Internet acquaintance and another love interest for Aunt Sister. Both sisters are so interesting and the family is so warm and close. I'll miss reading about them.
Jane Stewart
Aug 27, 2014 Jane Stewart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cozy mystery about two elderly sisters. Not what I like, but it might fit your mood.

It reminds me of the Steel Magnolias movie - women in a small southern town who get together and laugh, cry, and discuss their lives. Although instead of crying, there is a mystery to solve. It’s a folksy story about two sisters in their 60s and their families and neighbors. Lots of everyday dialogue with humorous conversation.

I was not drawn in. Characters and events were not unexpected or unusual enough for me.
Luann
Jul 23, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2008, adult
I recently read an old interview with Anne George where she gives a great summary of Murder Carries a Torch: "Patricia Anne and Mary Alice's cousin, Pukey Lukey, is in trouble. His wife has run away with a snake handling preacher from Chandler Mountain who has been been found dead. The girls to the rescue."

This would be in my top two or three favorite of the Southern Sisters mysteries. I found myself bursting out with laughter quite a few times while reading this. Patricia Anne and Mary Alice we
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Terri
Mar 11, 2017 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great by Anne George

I really enjoy all the books in this series, and this one did not disappoint! In this book, Patricia Ann and Mary Alice are helping their cousin (pukey lukey) locate his wife.
This cozy mystery is funny, with well developed characters. I highly recommend this!
Barbara
Feb 27, 2017 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this time the Southern Sister get involved with a religious sect that deals with rattle snakes. Also, Pukey Lukey is hunting for his wife. So the sisters get involved and meet some very interesting woodsy types, plus Mary Alice meets a new love interest.
Jane Chizmar
Feb 27, 2017 Jane Chizmar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first read with the Southern Sister but it certainly will not be the last. Delightful!!!
Nese
Sep 08, 2016 Nese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book because of the warm and authentic way it describes the colorful and quirky characters and their loving relationships with the friends and family. Two main characters in the book are relatable and so hilariously funny and reading about their relationships is like watching a funny sitcom. Not only the story flows so smoothly, but it has a steady pace with unexpected twists and turns. What is most entertaining is the descriptions of the paradoxes and humor in intimate rela ...more
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Ann and her husband have just returned from Christmas in Warsaw with her daughter, when her cousin Luke shows up claiming his wife Virginia has run off with their house painter. He inveigles Patricia Ann and her sister Mary Alice to help him look for Virginia by finding the house painter's home on Chandler Mountain. Turns out he's also a preacher, and not only is he not there, but when Luke goes into the church to look for Virginia, he ends up knocked out and bleeding on the floor next ...more
Janice
I continue to love this series; in this one, sisters Mary Alice (Sister) and Patricia Ann (Mouse) are trying to help their cousin Pukey Lukey track down his wife, who has run off with a house-painter/snake-handling preacher. Now the preacher (Monk) is dead, and the wife (Virginia) is missing. The bantering between these two sisters, ages 61 and 65, sometimes sounds like the sibling spats I had with my sisters when we were kids--these two continue their love/irritation for each other even as they ...more
Diana
Jul 02, 2011 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light murder mystery. Two sixtyish sisters, Patricia Anne and Mary Alice become involved in the murder of two people. It starts when their cousin, Pukey Lukey, wife runs off with a painter who is painting their home. This man is not only a house painter, but a snake handling snake handler.
Story takes place in a "mountain" area of Alabama. Everyone in the story is a little flaky.
Ends up there are 2 murders. This is a story you can read when you are weary from stories that are so heavy that yo
☯Emily needs to protest again
Easy 3.5 book. Delightful cozy about two 60ish sisters who live in Birmingham, AL. Their cousin's wife has disappeared and he asks them for help to track her down. That leads to a discovery of a murder in a small Alabama church. I thought the two sisters, who are polar opposites, were hilarious in their relationship with each other and with others in their family. The author of this series died in March 2001, so many of the other books in this series are getting hard to find. I hope to find a fe ...more
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mouse and her husband, oh and Sister, have barely gotten back from Poland, when cousin Pukey Lukey enlists their help in finding his wife who has run off with a snake handling, house painting minister. Fighting jet lag, the sisters search for the missing wife turns up a couple of dead bodies and (cring) snakes.

I hope you will try this series. It is less about the mystery and more about the wonderfully fun and a bit crazy family. Enjoy
Kristen
I'm down to my final four 2008 crossover books. I'll finish 2 more next week and the last two two weeks from here. Hooray! Then it'll be January books and some February ones, until I can request more real soon. Will let you know. Although this is the second to the last one in the series and I missed ones in between before this, I'll do more later this year. A great read for three days with adventure and drama for this cozy.
Beth
Jul 07, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these southern sisters! Sister and Mouse are out to help their cousin, Pukey Lukey find out what happened to his wife. They get more than they bargained for when they stumble upon a murder.

These two sisters had me laughing all the way through the book. Mary Alice reminds me so much of my great aunt who will say whatever comes to mind, which keeps the family entertained. I enjoyed the writing in this book and I'm officially a fan of Ann George now.
Massanutten Regional Library
Natalie, Village patron, June 2016, 4 stars:

I found this book enjoyable. The main characters are two sisters that are quite comical in the situations they find themselves in. The book ended quickly after identifying the murderer and did not end quite like I thought it would. However, I will probably look for others by this author with these quirky sisters - Patricia Anne (Mouse) and Mary Alice (Sister).
Susan
Feb 19, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cousin Luke begs sisters Mary Alice and Patricia Anne to find his missing wife, who seems to have run off with a part-time preacher/house painter. They do locate his church, but there's a strange woman dead in one of the pews. Luke's wife Virginia is nowhere to be found--so why should the sisters keep investigating? Well, there's curiosity, of course, and Mary Alice thinks the local sheriff would make an ideal fourth husband.
Wendy
Jun 30, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read in the Southern Sisters Mystery series. While this one is not as good as the books in the beginning of the series, it is still a lot of fun to ride along with Mouse and Sister as they bumble their way through murder mystery after murder mystery. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with the family in the next book since I know that it is the last in the series. Gonna miss these two characters and their families when I am done.
Linda
Mar 06, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved all of the books that Anne George wrote. It saddens me that there will never be any more from this gifted author since she left us too soon. She had a way of writing that just drew the reader right into the story and I felt that I knew the two sisters and loved their humor. Every book I started reading made me laugh at the beginning and continued throughout. There was some serious situations however and the way the sisters solved murders was ingenious. Totally delightful.
Rob
Apr 26, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humor
The first of these novels I read. I was hooked. For one thing, I have relatives like Luke. For another

For my review of the series, see Murder on a Girls' Night Out.
Peggy Sinden
Jul 20, 2013 Peggy Sinden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, the southern sisters are in for duration of this storyline. Runaway bride, snake handlers, snake handlers dying, rattle snakes in the back seat of the car, Debbie has a healthy baby boy, Haley in in Rome with the Pope and Patricia Anne and Mary Alice are right there in the middle of it all. You got to read it!
Jodi Pruett
Nov 08, 2015 Jodi Pruett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jodi by: libary
I have just found this author Anne George. These are shorter stories that are full of fun and laughs along with a "cozy mystery". I was looking for something that was a little mystery and a little funny. An easy read. The stories are told from one of the southern sixty something sisters point of view. Very enjoyable.
Jenny
May 29, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the sisters so these books can't do much wrong. However, the ending came very quickly and some pieces weren't matched up. (Like why was Susan acting suspiciously toward the cameo necklace? Why is the father still pretending he can't walk?)

I thought the emails between Haley and Patricia Anne were unnecessary but it does flesh out the relationship between mother and daughter.
Moon Stumpp
Feb 28, 2012 Moon Stumpp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the entire series of 8 books on audio so the books for me were like one very long book. So I will review the entire series. Listening to them on audio was a joy…I laughed myself silly a couple of times. Mouse and Sister’s adventures will put a smile on your face, no matter what age you are.
Beth Haren
Jan 25, 2016 Beth Haren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please see my review on Murder Boogies with Elvis (the last Southern Sisters Mystery) for my actual review. I elected to review the series rather than each individual book because they went so fast.

This was the seventh and made me laugh and remember family members. Total bubblegum, but good downtime read. Not sure about the accuracy of the handling community depiction.
Lisa Bork
Oct 20, 2009 Lisa Bork rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Whodunnit starring two retired sisters who solve crimes, this time the disappearance of their cousin's wife and the death of a beautiful woman found inside a snakehandling church. Love the relationship draw between the two opposite sisters.
Terri
Jun 06, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is so good. Great story and the 2 southern sisters just make me laugh out loud. Unfortunately there is only one left in the series and the author, Ann George,has passed away. Will miss these ladies.
  • Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast, #21)
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
  • Murder Can Spoil Your Appetite (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #7)
  • Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)
  • The Maggody Militia (Arly Hanks, #10)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)
Anne Carroll George was an American author and poet. She was Alabama's 1994 state poet. George died in 2001 of heart surgery complications.

Anne George was an Agatha Award-winner and a former Alabama State Poet. She was a cofounder of the Druid Press, and a regular contributor to literary and poetry publications. She was nominated for several awards, including the Pulitzer for a book of verse entit
More about Anne George...

Southern Sisters (8 books)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters, #3)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters, #4)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters, #6)
  • Murder Boogies with Elvis (Southern Sisters, #8)