Start by marking “Interstellar Cinderella” as Want to Read:

Once upon a planetoid,
amid her tools and sprockets,
a girl named Cinderella dreamed
of fixing fancy rockets.

With a little help from her fairy godrobot, Cinderella is going to the ball--but when the prince's ship has mechanical trouble, someone will have to zoom to the rescue! Readers will thank their lucky stars for this irrepressible fairy tale retelling, its independent
Published May 5th 2015 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Interstellar Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interstellar Cinderella

Carmen
Jan 23, 2016 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
A feminist Cinderella in space! Cinderella is a pink-haired, freckle-faced little white girl.

Once upon a planetoid,
amid her tools and sprockets,
a girl named Cinderella dreamed
of fixing fancy rockets.

She fixed the robot dishwashers
and zoombrooms in her care,
but late each night she snuck away
to study ship repair.

When everyone is invited to the Prince's Royal Space Parade, Cinderella's wicked stepmother forbids her to
Panda Incognito
Jun 21, 2015 Panda Incognito rated it really liked it
The illustrations are gorgeous and unique, the message of the story is positive, and it's original. What not to like? The rhymes in the story sometimes seem forced, but it's still a terrific book, and I greatly appreciate the following three things which are rare to find in girl power books.

1. The book takes for granted that it makes perfect sense for a young girl to be interested in fixing rockets, and wastes no time carrying on about inferior girls who don't like rockets or people who don't th
David Schaafsma
Nov 12, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it it was amazing
The whole family is reading all these Goodreads Children's Illustrated book nominees for 2015 and rating all of them. This is #20 of 20 for us!!!
We're done!

This was probably our second highest rated book overall, with three five star ratings. Only Princess and the Pony had more (five) five star ratings, which I voted for as best picture book of the year. But this was close, and I was the only one who didn't absolutely LOVE it quite as much as everyone else. But I did really, really like it a rea
Isa Lavinia
Oct 10, 2015 Isa Lavinia rated it really liked it

The cutest girl power book for children!
Cinderella loves to fix things, but her real dream is to fix fancy ships.
When the time comes for the Prince's Ball, as the story always goes, Cinderella is forbidden to attend. But with the help of her Fairy Godrobot, and the faithful company of her robotic mouse Murgatroyd, Cinderella saves the day and achieves her dreams!

Mehsi
This was one of my Christmas presents from me boyfriend! Thanks dear!

I have been meaning to read this book for some time. Fairy Tale Retellings? Check! Awesome art? Check! Original/creative idea? Check! It had all the makings of being an epic picture book, and after reading it, I can definitely say that it is that and more. This Cinderella retelling is now my favourite of all that are out there.
This Cinderella kicks butt, knows how to fix stuff, isn’t afraid to learn new things, even if that mea
Skip
Apr 26, 2016 Skip rated it liked it
Recommended to Skip by: Carmen
Shelves: childrens
Great concept (girl spaceship mechanic), the main character's spunky appearance is also excellent, the illustrations are very colorful and the rhymes are often charming, but occasionally forced. The problem is that the book is about ten pages too short, leaving aside depth of characters, how they interrelate, and the basic coherence of the story. Thank goodness we all know the underlying story.
Kristen
Oct 05, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Yes to cool chicks who like space, robots, and fixing things. Yes to rhyming text that flows smoothly and doesn't compromise interesting vocabulary. Yes to a twist on a classic fairy tale that has big pictures for a group share and isn't overly long. And yes to the just-right ending!
Kristine Hansen
Oct 07, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it
This story made me sad.

OK, I get it. Girl power and all that. We don't need romance or to marry a prince, we just need a useful career where we make a difference and gain a feeling of fulfillment. This book is full of just that.

So somewhere romance died and we missed the funeral. I'm disturbed by the constant feminist agenda being shoved down the throats of children in the name of political correctness.

While this book delivers on the premise - the rhymes work, art is fun and colorful, the whol
Elevetha
I keep hearing this book thrown around, uttered in the same breath as "feminist". This doesn't make any sense to me. This is just a sci-fi retelling of Cinderella in which the only difference is that Cinderella says she's too young for marriage, but will be his chief mechanic. (view spoiler) To me, that was her saying, we'll still be friends and when I get older, our relationship might lead to marriage, but I'm not ready for it right now. How exactly is ...more
Miss
Sep 05, 2015 Miss rated it really liked it
this is so cute

guys it's a story where cinderella fixes the prince's ship at the interstellar ball and when he asks to marry her says they're too young but she'll totally be his royal mechanic

it's so cute

4 stars
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
This is a fantastic, gurrrl power re-telling of Cinderella for kids. Cinderella wears pants instead of gowns and her passion is working on spaceships and fixing things. She doesn't want to marry the prince, but she will be his Chief Mechanic! Characters are a good representation of diversity, content is educational... it's short, but a total win. I would definitely recommend this for young children, boys and girls. I would frame and hang some of these illustrations too. Wonderful! :)

Original pos
Emily  (SimplyEmily'sMind)
Jul 30, 2015 Emily (SimplyEmily'sMind) rated it it was amazing
This is quite possibly the best children's picture book I have ever read. I have completely fallen in love with Meg Hunt's artistry. Seriously, anything she illustrates I will read, no hesitation.
The story itself was so cute, and I loved the morals behind it...the ending was just too perfect. This book took me back to my childhood more than any picture book has before. I will hold on to this book not only for myself, but also in the hopes that I get to share it with a little one someday.
SCPSReads
Aug 28, 2015 SCPSReads rated it really liked it
Hope in 2nd grade says:
This book is cool. My favorite part is when she zaps the broken ship with her socket wrench because it is nice to help people. I also liked the part where the robot mouse called out the letters SOS to ask for help. It is a good book and you should read it.
Abbey
Sep 29, 2016 Abbey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytimes
Read for Second Grade Field Trips and the kids were hooked from the start. A few groans from the word Cinderella, but those were squashed with a simple, "yeah, but it's in space!" I think the teachers like this one too.
Beth
Cinderella, rock on with your bad self. I love the message of girl power in this futuristic version of a beloved fairy tale.
Artemis
It's a pink-haired Cinderella as a mechanic, on planetoids and in spaceships. She has a robot pet mouse and a fairy godrobot. She's always fixing stuff. What's not to like?

I found the 'Interstellar Cinderella' picture book to be more interesting and inventive (get it?) than the YA novel 'Cinder', which features a cyborg Cinderella who is also a mechanic.

'Interstellar Cinderella' is cute, colourful, fun, and full of good rhymes and bits and bobs on every page. The sci-fi, intergalactic twist on
Annie
Mar 03, 2015 Annie rated it it was amazing
I'm seeing a lot of great feminist takes on the princess story recently, and I'm predisposed to like them, but this is a particularly appealing entry. A verse retelling of Cinderella as a cosmic mechanic with illustrations inspired by manga. It's a book that I would love to give to every little girl I see. The verse scans perfectly, and I could build my wardrobe around the color palette the illustrator used. And who can resist a Cinderella who saves the day by repairing the prince's spaceship? ...more
Elena
Aug 21, 2015 Elena rated it really liked it
In this cute sci-fi girl power retelling of Cinderella, Cinderella chats with the prince about rocket ships at the gravity-free ball and leaves her sonic socket wrench behind. When he arrives in search of her:
The prince's cargo door revealed
a broken craft within.
"The girl I seek can fix a ship.
So--who'd like to begin?"
And then comes the wonderful resolution:

This is a great twist on the classic story, highly recommended.
Michelle
Jun 06, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like a strong female lead with a classic twist? Cute futuristic drawings accompanies this story of a young lady who just wants to work on ships and rockets but her horrible step-family keeps her locked up and busy doing jobs around the house until her godrobot shows up and Cinderella is off making ships fly in a happily ever after, girl-gets-the-dream-job story.
Becki

Holy crap that was a lot of fun.

What a fun and inventive way on the Cinderella story. Cinderella is not our hapless hero needing woodland creatures to help her she has her trusty screwdriver and mechanical mouse. This is a great, great interpretation on Cinderella and maybe an even better one. Cinderella actually saves herself.
Irena Freitas
Jul 29, 2015 Irena Freitas rated it it was amazing
Achei bem legal que o fato da Cinderela querer ser mecânica não foi usado como forma de mostrar que ela não é "como a maioria das garotas". Era só um interesse natural da personagem assim como podia ser gostar de costurar vestidos.

E nem preciso dizer que as ilustrações da Meg Hunt são nota mil né? Cada página é mais linda que a outra e eu queria colar tudo na minha parede.
Mississippi Library Commission
This might be our favorite retelling of the Cinderella story ever. Its brightly colored eye-catching illustrations tell the story of a smart and sassy girl who wants to be a rocket mechanic. Girl power and friendship abound. Loved it.
Elisabeth
This is by far the most badass Cinderella retelling EVER. I want to read it again and again and recommend it to everyone I know.
Jesse
May 07, 2016 Jesse rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent! Great rhymes and laugh out loud moments make this one a favorite. Fans of Corey Rosen Schwartz should check this one out.
Tori
Jan 29, 2016 Tori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-mg
SO CUTE i want every parent to read this book to every child :')
Anna Staniszewski
Nov 22, 2015 Anna Staniszewski rated it it was amazing
My daughter is obsessed with the illustrations, and I love the story and the clever use of rhyme.
Heather
Oct 27, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
love that ending!
Miri
YEEEEEESSSSSSS! There have been several really great contenders for this year's Goodreads Choice category, but I didn't think anything would be able to steal my vote from The Princess and the Pony . I was wrong. And you know what? I think Kate Beaton would vote for this book, too. Because Cinderella wears PANTS and FIXES SPACESHIPS and DOESN'T GET MARRIED BUT BECOMES THE PRINCE'S CHIEF MECHANIC. I especially liked that Underwood gave the prince an actual reason to not be able to recognize the g ...more
Cecelia
Aug 19, 2015 Cecelia rated it really liked it
Deborah Underwood’s Interstellar Cinderella is a futuristic re-telling of the traditional fairy tale in verse, accompanied by Meg Hunt’s colorful illustrations. In this version of the story, Cinderella has pink hair and a penchant for mechanics. In fact, she ends up proving her worth by fixing a broken spaceship (instead of fitting into a glass slipper). The poem is fun and funny throughout, and character diversity is always a plus. Hunt includes a lot of visual interest on every page, which ...more
Erin
The illustrations and message were glorious and on-point. I loved the retro feel to the pictures, the rich colors, and the added details they gave to the story. The message of the story also couldn't have been more perfect: I think I stopped reading and clapped my hands when I got to the point where Interstellar Cinderella (view spoiler)

My only hang-up was the slightly forced rhyming that sk
  • The Princess and the Pony