Start by marking “Wherever You Go, There You Are” as Want to Read:
Wherever You Go, There You Are

Wherever You Go, There You Are

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  22 reviews
It’s pure magic! It’s Harry Potter for adults!” is how one of our favorite booksellers described John Hampel’s magical and transcendent debut novel, Wherever You Go, There You Are.

Another pegs it as “Wonderfully entertaining . . . Impossible to describe.”

Well, it’s not exactly easy to describe . . . but then there is so much here! This is a book that takes readers on a mag
Published March 1st 2000 by BZFF Books (first published December 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Wherever You Go, There You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wherever You Go, There You Are

Daniale
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I was excited to read this book after reading Glass House 51 and Mr. Hampel did not disappoint. I must make a note here though. For new readers of John Hampel. I noticed it in both of his books. The way he writes seems almost like running thought, to me, I don't know if that is an adequate description. When I first started Glass House 51, it seemed hard to get into because of this. The same thing occurred with this book as well. Howeve ...more
Tex Reader
3.5 of 5 stars – A Fun Combination of Magic, Time Travel and Interesting People.
(I'm excited to have won this as a Goodreads First Read – so thanks, John!)

I’m a fan of all the genres mixed in here – sci-fi, fantasy, mystery – so I was looking forward to reading it, and it did not disappoint, even adding in a little humor as well as some philosophical and ecological musings along the way. Interestingly, it first came out in 1991, and considering that timeframe, it is a little zany in a post-Dougl
Lucinda
Hilariously funny and outrageously outlandish this wonderfully bizarre tale is simply spectacular!

This magnificently impressive novel beautifully blends a variety of genre, creating an altogether completely unique and totally original work of fiction. Journeying through time and space I was utterly mesmerized by the magic and mystery, as contrasting storylines combine and interlink in such a fascinating way. Merging together fictitious fables with myth and legend, John Hampel brings fantasy viv
Beth
I won this book as part of a Goodreads first giveaway!
I had high hopes for this book, and they were mostly met. The humorous and satirical elements kept the plot moving, and the characters were fun. I wish that the author had stuck more with the most interesting element of the story, the ability to travel through time, as it seemed to be a major element at the beginning, and then just sort of disappeared from the scene, as well as some other minor plot points that seemed forgotten by the ending,
Charles
Jul 30, 2008 Charles rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beach readers, lovers of mind candy
I enjoyed this book a lot but it was being pulled in a lot of different directions by each of the main characters. In the beginning, the protagonist wanted it to be hardboiled L.A. detective noir, then he turned it into a 1970s sex and drugs and rock n roll romp. His girlfriend Synandra made it a mystical adventure, a Russian inventor made science fiction of it with a time machine and then it erupted into an archaeological adventure, complete with rewriting pop culture history. It was LOT of fun ...more
Carie
This was billed to me as "Harry Potter for grown-ups". While it does have elements of magic and fantasy, it last the transportative powers of Harry Potter. I found it more like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --- fun and enjoyable, but with less development of plot and characters and more sporadic in its flow. Sort of a "what wacky things is going to happen next," read.
Cara Giovinazzo
I received this book in a first reads giveaway and I am thrilled. I find that somethings seem to be made for certain people, and if there ever was a book that I was destined to read, it is this one. The themes in this book combined pretty much all of my loves, from time travel, to John Lennon, to environmentalism, and even the Packers. I think any review I would give would be biased out of sheer amazement that one book could contain so many topics that I hold near and dear. I think this book jus ...more
Marjorie Hakala
I'm so tickled that this book has a GoodReads page! I bought it years & years ago at a bookstore that was very likely within a 50-mile radius of the author's home (it takes place in Door County, WI and I have the impression it's self-published). It's one of the earliest intentionally-ridiculously-weird books I've read, so even though, say, Tom Holt and Christopher Moore are probably at least as weird, this one was the first to make a real impression on me in terms of the fabulous possibiliti ...more
Don
Jan 12, 2015 Don added it
I did mot read this book. I clicked on it by mistake, and could not figure out how to delete it from "Currently Reading" status.
Diane
4 1/2 stars.

I'm a fan.

"A Masterful Triumph..." - Milwaukee Journal (& Me)

After I got past my own self, I have to say I fell a little in love with this book. "could be a cult classic..." - South Bend (Indiana) Tribune - Sure. Why not? At the end I was wishing it wasn't (the end). Just really, really, good. A very worthy read.

Highly recommended.

I received this book from the author/publisher after being selected in the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway as a winner. All opinions (except those quo
Alysa H.
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Try as I might, I just could not get into this. There are some interesting characters, places and ideas -- especially Synandra Wasson and Mystery Rock Hill -- but the writing wasn't for me. It's got a dated, dudely style that I found more distracting than engaging. And I was under the impression that this book would be funny, but I did not find it so.

I'm sure there's an audience for this type of writing, but I guess I'm not it.
Haley
Wherever You Go, There You Are is very well written, so I can't provide any reasonable criticism for it. This book just was not particularly enjoyable for me. It does have some interesting theories and philosophies, most of which are spoken by the character Synandra; this, however, stands as the book's only redeeming point.
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Gabrielle
I received a copy of this book free from the Good Reads First Reads program. This book is about a man named Basil who is a private detective who is sent on a case to find a man named Jimmy. Along the way he meets the woman he has always been looking for. They go on a magical journey with a lot of twists and turns and magic. This book if full of funny moments and I found it to be very enjoyable.
Jessica
I got this book through free reads on goodreads. It was a well executed book, but it just didn't do it for me enough to get 4 or 5 stars. I like the ending, but I honestly don't know what the overall point of the book was. Parts of it felt very hodge podge to me. Luckily the characters were enjoyable, so I forgave a lot of that.
Debi Askew
I won this on Goodreads. I thought it was a mystery, and it was for a while...then it became something for a while, and then something else. It took me a lot longer then usual to read this book. I like to read a lot of different types of stories, just not all in the same book.

Wasn't my cup of tea, but it was interesting.
Jessica
This is a really strange book. There's really no other way to describe it. I did like it, but I felt that much of it was very 2-dimensional, particularly the characters and some aspects of the storyline. There's little development through the book. That's said, it's a fun read and unlike anything I've read before.
Anthony Toro
Basil Lexingtonis, private detective is hired to find Capt. Jimmy Kowalske, Vietnam Vet and founder of the occult church of the Electronic Trinity. That is how its starting a magical journey with a lot of twists and magic turning back in time in 1970s.
A tale very enjoyable!
Sabrina Bradley
Received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed this book..humorous...can always use a good laugh!!
Cindy
*received for free through Goodreads First Reads

Hard to become involved in the story and did not keep my attention.
YYY
Dec 29, 2013 YYY marked it as to-read
Thank you First Reads for winning this free book. I will read and review soon.
pgupta6
Its a great book if you enjoyed reading Power of Now!!
Tamra LeValley
Review to be revised!
Ayes Creeam
Ayes Creeam marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Kathryn Middleton
Kathryn Middleton marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Chris Jennings
Chris Jennings marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Whitneye
Whitneye marked it as to-read
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Mattheous
Mattheous marked it as to-read
Amy T Schubert
Amy T Schubert marked it as to-read
Phiona Kari
Phiona Kari marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • The Hero
  • Treemaker
  • The Siren Project
  • The Adventure Tournament (The Adventurers, #1)
  • Threads
  • The Caretaker (Ranjit Singh, #1)
  • Choices
  • HeartStone (Dolvia Saga #2)
  • Gold of the Gods (Mission Survival #1)
  • What I Wish I Knew Before I Moved to Hollywood
  • Jack Canon's American Destiny
  • The Insanity of Obedience: Walking with Jesus in Tough Places
  • Revealing the Antichrist: Friend or Foe?
  • The Anomaly
  • How Not to Cry in Public & Other Victories (The Cousin Cycle, #4)
  • Undercover Secrets
  • A Deconstructed Heart
  • Beta: Project Avatar
John Hampel romped through the 60s watching "Leave it to Beaver," and "Sky King" (and Penny), stumbled through the 70s (surviving somehow), got into computers in the 80s (it was the thing to do), picked up an MBA in the 90s (it was just (sigh) the thing to do), and currently lives and works in Wisconsin.

Visit bzffbooks my strange and wonderful website
More about John Hampel...
Glass House 51