Start by marking “Wherever You Go, There You Are” as Want to Read:
Wherever You Go, There You Are

Wherever You Go, There You Are

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
It’s pure magic! It’s Harry Potter for adults!” is how one of our favorite booksellers described John Hampel’s magical and transcendent debut novel, Wherever You Go, There You Are.

Another pegs it as “Wonderfully entertaining . . . Impossible to describe.”

Well, it’s not exactly easy to describe . . . but then there is so much here! This is a book that takes readers on a mag
Published March 1st 2000 by BZFF Books (first published December 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Wherever You Go, There You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wherever You Go, There You Are

Daniale
Feb 14, 2014 Daniale rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I was excited to read this book after reading Glass House 51 and Mr. Hampel did not disappoint. I must make a note here though. For new readers of John Hampel. I noticed it in both of his books. The way he writes seems almost like running thought, to me, I don't know if that is an adequate description. When I first started Glass House 51, it seemed hard to get into because of this. The same thing occurred with this book as well. Howeve ...more
Tex Reader
3.5 of 5 stars – A Fun Combination of Magic, Time Travel and Interesting People.
(I'm excited to have won this as a Goodreads First Read – so thanks, John!)

I’m a fan of all the genres mixed in here – sci-fi, fantasy, mystery – so I was looking forward to reading it, and it did not disappoint, even adding in a little humor as well as some philosophical and ecological musings along the way. Interestingly, it first came out in 1991, and considering that timeframe, it is a little zany in a post-Dougl
Lucinda
May 31, 2013 Lucinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Hilariously funny and outrageously outlandish this wonderfully bizarre tale is simply spectacular!

This magnificently impressive novel beautifully blends a variety of genre, creating an altogether completely unique and totally original work of fiction. Journeying through time and space I was utterly mesmerized by the magic and mystery, as contrasting storylines combine and interlink in such a fascinating way. Merging together fictitious fables with myth and legend, John Hampel brings fantasy viv
Beth
May 15, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
I won this book as part of a Goodreads first giveaway!
I had high hopes for this book, and they were mostly met. The humorous and satirical elements kept the plot moving, and the characters were fun. I wish that the author had stuck more with the most interesting element of the story, the ability to travel through time, as it seemed to be a major element at the beginning, and then just sort of disappeared from the scene, as well as some other minor plot points that seemed forgotten by the ending,
Charles
Jul 30, 2008 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beach readers, lovers of mind candy
I enjoyed this book a lot but it was being pulled in a lot of different directions by each of the main characters. In the beginning, the protagonist wanted it to be hardboiled L.A. detective noir, then he turned it into a 1970s sex and drugs and rock n roll romp. His girlfriend Synandra made it a mystical adventure, a Russian inventor made science fiction of it with a time machine and then it erupted into an archaeological adventure, complete with rewriting pop culture history. It was LOT of fun ...more
Carie
Dec 08, 2014 Carie rated it liked it
This was billed to me as "Harry Potter for grown-ups". While it does have elements of magic and fantasy, it last the transportative powers of Harry Potter. I found it more like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --- fun and enjoyable, but with less development of plot and characters and more sporadic in its flow. Sort of a "what wacky things is going to happen next," read.
Cara Giovinazzo
Mar 12, 2014 Cara Giovinazzo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a first reads giveaway and I am thrilled. I find that somethings seem to be made for certain people, and if there ever was a book that I was destined to read, it is this one. The themes in this book combined pretty much all of my loves, from time travel, to John Lennon, to environmentalism, and even the Packers. I think any review I would give would be biased out of sheer amazement that one book could contain so many topics that I hold near and dear. I think this book jus ...more
Marjorie Hakala
I'm so tickled that this book has a GoodReads page! I bought it years & years ago at a bookstore that was very likely within a 50-mile radius of the author's home (it takes place in Door County, WI and I have the impression it's self-published). It's one of the earliest intentionally-ridiculously-weird books I've read, so even though, say, Tom Holt and Christopher Moore are probably at least as weird, this one was the first to make a real impression on me in terms of the fabulous possibiliti ...more
Don
Jan 12, 2015 Don added it
I did mot read this book. I clicked on it by mistake, and could not figure out how to delete it from "Currently Reading" status.
Diane
Nov 14, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: frg-wins, reviewed
4 1/2 stars.

I'm a fan.

"A Masterful Triumph..." - Milwaukee Journal (& Me)

After I got past my own self, I have to say I fell a little in love with this book. "could be a cult classic..." - South Bend (Indiana) Tribune - Sure. Why not? At the end I was wishing it wasn't (the end). Just really, really, good. A very worthy read.

Highly recommended.

I received this book from the author/publisher after being selected in the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway as a winner. All opinions (except those quo
Alysa H.
Apr 24, 2014 Alysa H. rated it it was ok
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Try as I might, I just could not get into this. There are some interesting characters, places and ideas -- especially Synandra Wasson and Mystery Rock Hill -- but the writing wasn't for me. It's got a dated, dudely style that I found more distracting than engaging. And I was under the impression that this book would be funny, but I did not find it so.

I'm sure there's an audience for this type of writing, but I guess I'm not it.
Haley
Jan 25, 2014 Haley rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Wherever You Go, There You Are is very well written, so I can't provide any reasonable criticism for it. This book just was not particularly enjoyable for me. It does have some interesting theories and philosophies, most of which are spoken by the character Synandra; this, however, stands as the book's only redeeming point.
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Gabrielle
Feb 01, 2014 Gabrielle rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book free from the Good Reads First Reads program. This book is about a man named Basil who is a private detective who is sent on a case to find a man named Jimmy. Along the way he meets the woman he has always been looking for. They go on a magical journey with a lot of twists and turns and magic. This book if full of funny moments and I found it to be very enjoyable.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
I got this book through free reads on goodreads. It was a well executed book, but it just didn't do it for me enough to get 4 or 5 stars. I like the ending, but I honestly don't know what the overall point of the book was. Parts of it felt very hodge podge to me. Luckily the characters were enjoyable, so I forgave a lot of that.
Debi Askew
Apr 01, 2014 Debi Askew rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads-won
I won this on Goodreads. I thought it was a mystery, and it was for a while...then it became something for a while, and then something else. It took me a lot longer then usual to read this book. I like to read a lot of different types of stories, just not all in the same book.

Wasn't my cup of tea, but it was interesting.
Jessica
Jan 18, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: fluff-and-fun
This is a really strange book. There's really no other way to describe it. I did like it, but I felt that much of it was very 2-dimensional, particularly the characters and some aspects of the storyline. There's little development through the book. That's said, it's a fun read and unlike anything I've read before.
Anthony Toro
Apr 16, 2014 Anthony Toro rated it liked it
Basil Lexingtonis, private detective is hired to find Capt. Jimmy Kowalske, Vietnam Vet and founder of the occult church of the Electronic Trinity. That is how its starting a magical journey with a lot of twists and magic turning back in time in 1970s.
A tale very enjoyable!
Sabrina Bradley
Feb 24, 2014 Sabrina Bradley rated it really liked it
Received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed this book..humorous...can always use a good laugh!!
Cindy
Jun 23, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok
*received for free through Goodreads First Reads

Hard to become involved in the story and did not keep my attention.
YYY
Dec 29, 2013 YYY marked it as to-read
Thank you First Reads for winning this free book. I will read and review soon.
pgupta6
Feb 27, 2015 pgupta6 rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Its a great book if you enjoyed reading Power of Now!!
Tamra LeValley
Review to be revised!
Kareem Farmawy
Kareem Farmawy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Allan Laal
Allan Laal marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Thuong Nhu
Thuong Nhu marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Matteo
Matteo marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Ryan Malki
Ryan Malki marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Julie Straley
Julie Straley marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Kevin Brantley
Kevin Brantley marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • The Orphan's Tale (Book I)
  • The Hero
  • Jack Canon's American Destiny
  • What I Wish I Knew Before I Moved to Hollywood (2nd Edition)
  • Gold of the Gods (Mission Survival #1)
  • Choices
  • Love and Restitution (Athlandia, #3)
  • Catacombs of the Damned: Those Who Would Steal Living Bodies in the Quest for Eternal Life
  • ABC's from the Whippety Wood: The Magic in Nature
  • Dixon Grace: 1.9.7 Hamburg
  • Strength of a Giant
  • Sailors of Stonehenge (Revised Edition)
  • A Time of Myths
  • Hollywood Diet & Exercise Secrets
  • Treemaker
  • In the Dying Eyes of Night (Graces, #1)
  • Drawing the Dead
  • Tantra (The Anu Files, #1)
John Hampel romped through the 60s watching "Leave it to Beaver," and "Sky King" (and Penny), stumbled through the 70s (surviving somehow), got into computers in the 80s (it was the thing to do), picked up an MBA in the 90s (it was just (sigh) the thing to do), and currently lives and works in Wisconsin.

Visit bzffbooks my strange and wonderful website
More about John Hampel...