Start by marking “Histoire générale du Canada” as Want to Read:
Histoire générale du Canada

Histoire générale du Canada

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Le propos de ce livre est de raconter comment les Canadiens ont vécu et travaillé, comment ils se sont perçus eux-mêmes et ce qu'ils ont pensé les uns des autres. C'est en somme l'histoire de leurs rêves et de leurs réalisations.
Craig Brown (extrait de l’introduction)
Published August 15th 1990 by Boréal (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Histoire générale du Canada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Histoire générale du Canada

Jared Murphy
It took me a while to finish this book (started it over a year before I finished it). It is not that it is badly written; it is actually quite packed tight with information and goes thoroughly through the history of Canada. Not having a breadth of knowledge on Canadian history, it was laborious at times for me to take it all in so-to-speak. With that said and barring the fact that I have read no other histories on Canada, this book was quite informative and made me appreciate our northern neighb ...more
Victoria
After months of reading this tome of Canadian history, I feel enlightened. I learned things I never thought of, felt like I was too a Canadian. I loved having this book to read, and will plan on using it in any classes I end up teaching some day.
Enikő
This was a very interesting read, and it read well despite the fact that every chapter was authored by a different person. I found the first few chapters to be the most intereting ones, perhaps because those events are furthest back in time and therefore more ''exotic''. I also found them more interesting because they detailed a lot more of the social aspects of life in Canada, whereas the last chapters seemed a bit dryer, talking mostly about parties, numbers and elections. Perhaps, also, it co ...more
Brenna
Unlike the greater portion of tomes dealing with the intangible Canadian history, this book does not begin at Pangaea.

Reading rather like a compilation of six books comprising a greater body (not unlike holy texts - in fact, this book has been unofficially called the "bible" of Canadian history), a sextet of famed Canadian scholars and authors focused on their own particular segment of the Canadian chronology, with editor Craig Brown seeing to the cohesive and continuity of each chapter.

(This la
jerry
Excellent overview of Canadian history bogs down in places with un-even authorship and varied writing styles. However, the reach of a book that describes the first contacts with First Nations peoples, through the early development of Upper and Lower Canada, through Confederation, the War Years, the rise of cities and Liberalism, Separatism and the rise and decline of affluence is impressive. I encourage anyone with an interest in Canadian history and politics to read this book. Through it you ma ...more
Terrance Kutney
Good comprehensive history of Canada. I felt like it was a little light in modern history (and it ends in the 1990s) but its was really good for the early history of Canada.
Neil
This is a decent book. It makes sure it gets lots in but lacks the sort of excitement that marks great history.
Jim
Apr 14, 2013 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of History
Shelves: canada, history
Good overview of Canadian History. If your interested in the subject this is the perfect place to start.
noisy penguin
You might be thinking, "Canadian history? How dry." Well my friend, you are wrong.
Tobias_Stalder
Tobias_Stalder is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2015
Stephanie Beam
Stephanie Beam is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2015
Aziza Bouchioua
Aziza Bouchioua marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Amrit Kahlon
Amrit Kahlon marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Dom Magalhaes
Dom Magalhaes marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Jessica Marie
Jessica Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Laurianne Theron
Laurianne Theron marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Sophia Ahmed
Sophia Ahmed marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Sophia Ahmed
Sophia Ahmed marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Philip Maher
Philip Maher marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Anika
Anika marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Moïse
Moïse marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Illustrated History of Canada Arts and Science at Toronto: A History, 1827-1990 A Generation of Excellence: A History of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research Canada's National Policy, 1883-1900 Canada: A Nation Transformed 1896-1921