Start by marking “Fantastic Mr Fox” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Mr Fox

Fantastic Mr Fox

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  66,368 Ratings  ·  2,451 Reviews
Boggis, Bunce & Bean are just about the nastiest three farmers you could ever wish to meet. They hate Mr Fox and are determined to get him, and plan to catch him by whatever means necessary.
Audio CD, 1 page
Published September 6th 2007 by Puffin Audiobooks (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Mr Fox, please sign up.

Athul Domichen It's been adapted to a stop-motion animation movie by Wes Anderson with voice overs from George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Bil Murray etc. The adaptation…moreIt's been adapted to a stop-motion animation movie by Wes Anderson with voice overs from George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Bil Murray etc. The adaptation and the additions are really good. A greatly entertaining movie. Watch it. (less)

karen
May 19, 2016 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GREG!!!

greg's birthday is today, so i am floating this now to remind you that you still have time to shower him with presents!

it is greg's birthday!!! and as a treat for him, i am going to create a book review in which i use plenty of pictures of foxes!!! they are his favorite!!

first, a sleepy fox:

smiling fox:

stretch
Patrick
Aug 10, 2014 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My impressions in a single word: Meh.

I recently read this to my little boy, and I have to admit I really didn't care for it.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a *terrible* book. There's nothing hideously wrong with it. (See my review of Esio Trot, if you want to see me go off on a Dahl book I hated.)

But there wasn't much right with it either. The simple fact was Mr. Fox was not, in fact, very fantastic.

The plot centers around some farmers that try to kill Mr. Fox. They try to dig him out of his ho
Alex
Sep 16, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the youth
Shelves: 2016
This book encourages stealing, underage drinking, and living in an underground bunker so you never have to face sunlight again. Recommended!
Afshar
Apr 21, 2015 Afshar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
این کتاب را برای آشنایی با دنیای کتابهای کودکان امروزی خواندم
رولد دال نویسنده محبوبی است ولی گاهی نمیتوانستم جلوی خودمو بگیرم و ایشان را با هانس کریستن آندرسن نویسنده محبوب دوران کودکی ام مقایسه نکنم
راستش از زمین تا آسمان فرق می کنند
شاید داستان های آندرسن مختص کودکان نباشد چون همین الان هم از خواندن قصه هایش لذت میبرم
؛)
کدام قصه را یارای برابری با جوجه اردک زشت و لباس نو امپراطور و ...است
البته در مورد لباس نو امپراطور می گویند که دزدی ادبی از مندیل خیال شیخ بهایی میباشد
خدایی خیلی شبیه هم هستند
Greg
Jul 18, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids, foxes
Mr. Fox steals food nightly from one of the three disgusting and gluttonous farmers who have more then they need. The farmers get mad and set out to kill Mr. Fox. They have a hard time catching him, they destroy the earth trying to get him out of his hole, they waste many man-hours by making their workers surround the woods with weapons and ultimately Mr. Fox with the help of other underground animals find another way into the farms and go about their stealing in peace while the farmers sit endl ...more
Cait (Paper Fury)
I assume you're supposed to read these when you're...eight? Or ten? BUT WHATEVER. I read all of the Roald Dahl books when I was 14-15 and this is the only one I could never find. So now I have consumed it and I feel like my life is very complete with Roald Dahlness.

(Plus I had seen the movie years ago. There is a lot more in the movie than in the book. I definitely saw Mr. Fox as George Clooney though. Just sayin'.)
description

Aaaanyway. This is not my favourite Roald Dahl book (I'll always pick Matilda or
Trish
Jan 07, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This morning two new Roald Dahl books arrived and this one was an instant must-read. From a young age on I always adored stories about forest animals (which is why it's even more incomprehensible and outrageous that I have missed out on such a classic until now)!

The book is very thin but the story inside is full of wit, fun and excitement!

Roald Dahl tells the story of Mr. Fox, his wife and children and their tranquil life. However, there are 3 farmers with very bad intentions and since Mr. Fox i
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a short blogpost taken from Thoughts on Roald Dahl: The BFG, The Witches & Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I wasn't sure why, but Fantastic Mr. Fox felt the most festive to me, so I thought it'd be appropriate as my sixth Roald Dahl read. Now that I've read it, it's a little festive (gathering together with friends for a celebratory meal), but it's most likely because the film adaptation seems to always be on around Christmas – and now I cannot wait to watch it. Fantastic Mr. Fox is a charming, qu
Salymar
― Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox

This short story reminded me of the The Three little pigs. The three little pigs here in the story are the farmers except that they are dumber, clumsier and stinkier. haha!
Ferdy
Loved it, mostly because of the nostalgia but even with that it was still a really fun read.
Karla
Feb 29, 2012 Karla rated it it was amazing
Even though Roald Dahl is one of my absolute favorite childhood authors, there are some titles that I've never read. This was one was absolutely fantastic. Sure, it promotes stealing, but only from bad guys. Like another review notes, so does Robin Hood.

But what I thought was illustrated so vividly here is that the three nasty farmers become obsessed with killing Mr. Fox for stealing their poultry, losing all perspective and sense of proportion. So much so that they take steam shovels to an enti
Saoirse Sterling
[First read:?<2010. 3 stars.
Second read: 3rd April, 2016. 2 stars.]

Read as part of the #InfiniteVariety2016 Reading Challenge based on the BBC's Big Read poll.

The first time I read this book I was jumping up and down on my friends bed. I was about ten. It was a fun time to be alive. The trials and tribulations of a talking fox were not a new phenomenon to me, but there was a bit of magical whimsy to this particular book that left an impression on me.

It's not a terrible book. It's written well
Chaymâa
Oct 03, 2013 Chaymâa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I was reading Fantastic Mr. Fox, I had in mind three colorful bubbles (yes, sometimes I like to tease my ideas):

1. Roald Dahl is amazing.
2. Mr. Fox is indeed Fantastic!
3. And this stupid yet hilarious song:

Seriously Chaymâa?!

Well, as Roald Dahl said in this book :

Arielle Walker
Roald Dahl at his most delightful (with that hint of twisted humour that he does so well). This was the book that started my love of apple cider, though it was a good decade after my first read that I actually got to taste any.
Marcus
Feb 16, 2014 Marcus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Read it in one day to my four year old. He was fascinated and wide eyed the entire time. Then, at dinner he called his juice "strong cider" and talked about how it made his mouth and belly burn :).
Tom Knutzen
Mar 22, 2016 Tom Knutzen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first experience reading a book by Roald Dahl, although I've seen several film adaptations of his various books, including the Wes Anderson adaptation of this one (which was excellent, by the way). I watched the Wes Anderson film before reading this book, and my impression of the book was no doubt influenced by my enjoyment of the film.

This was an entertaining childrens' book, witty and funny with humor touching the sensibilities of adults yet remaining appropriate and accessible to
Sinem
Nov 06, 2015 Sinem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fanyastic Mr Fox filmini defalarca izleyip de ilham kaynağını okumak güzel :)
Jenny
Sep 25, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5*
Biena (The Library Mistress)
So, is this book suppose to teach children that it is alright to steal if you'll just be clever enough to run away and outwit your adversaries?
Daniel Clausen
I've always been a fan of Roald Dahl books. As an ESL teacher I've had the pleasure of using his books as teaching instruments as well. In the heady days of my graduate program I find myself often turning to kids books for relief. First, there was my favorite, Where the Wild Things Are--which I am happy to say I have copies of in both Japanese and English. Then, there was Maniac Magree. This one was perhaps my favorite because I WAS Maniac Magee growing up. There are others I would like to retur ...more
Dana Salman
It was fine. I say 'fine' because it's an awful lot of discription on such a trivial thing. Nothing much happened in the story. It's only mostly all about the foxes breaking into one storage after another and stealing food. What else is there to talk about after that, though? It's not much of a story, not one I would go out of my way to read, though I have read it multiple times when I get hungry because that cider stuff sounds SWEET. But when you think about it, if Roald Dahl had said to himsel ...more
Megan
Dec 29, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid, fiction, 2009, courier
I love Roald Dahl and tore through his books as a kid, but somehow I missed this one. I saw the previews for the movie, and was completely confused because I'd never heard of this book. As soon as I opened it up I recognized that familiar art style (Quentin Blake, you're the man), and the familiar sort of world that Dahl draws into his books.

This story is very simple. Three farmers have grown weary of the fox who preys upon their livelihoods, and decide to trap him in his burrow until he comes o
Liam Leftley
Sep 12, 2011 Liam Leftley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Mr Fox exhibits the very best of Roald Dahl as we see Mr Fox battle against the three mean farmers: Boggis, Bunce and Bean. Initially Mr. Fox has no problem in taking poultry from the farms to feed his family; however, Boggis, Bunce and Bean soon develop a plan that’ll end their fox problem once and for all.

The evil trio plan to dig Mr Fox out of his home and soon recruit all their staff to their mission. However, not to be outdone, the canine simply tunnels underground to each of the
Saadia Munshi
Jun 30, 2013 Saadia Munshi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Mr Fox- Roald Dahl

The book centres around Mr Fox, who steals food from three farmers (Boggis, Bunce and Bean) in order to provide for his wife and 4 children. The 3 farmers soon get fed up of Mr Fox and decide to catch him by leaving the farm and camp outside the fox hole. one night Mr fox decides to go and steal some duck from bunce, however as he begins his journey he gets shot in the tail by the farmers.

By this time the farmers are upset as they failed to catch Mr Fox and so bean (
Steve
Feb 13, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My cousin gave my son this book, saying it was given to him as a child and that he really liked it, and thus inter-generational sharing of the literary tradition is shared.

I read this book to my sons over the weekend and finished it last night. Quite a joyous book. First he establishes the characters, then presents a challenge, and then Mr. Fox becomes fantastic by his ideas, and is feted by all. It's a book about mean farmers, exploiters and murderers, and wildlife.

I was absolutely thrilled to
Sara Kamjou
Apr 24, 2016 Sara Kamjou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فانتزی
کوچولوی درونم حسابی لذت برد و قلقلکش شد ^_^
Sara Williams
What a great disappointment Fantastic Mr. Fox was. I am a great fan of Roald Dahl and devoured his Chocolate Factory adventures and held Matilda very dear to me, but Fantastic Mr. Fox did absolutely nothing for me. Surely, it is a children's book but so were all the previous I mentioned and those caused a great impression on me.
Fantastic Mr. Fox is awfully simple, following a basic structure that repeats itself as many as 3 times. It is still a lovely story about how these 3 mean bastards try t
Liss (LittleSparrowBooks)
One of my favorites from Roald Dahl.
Petra
May 08, 2012 Petra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Boggis and Bunce and Bean

One fat, one short, one lean.

These horrible crooks

So different in looks

Were none the less equally mean."

This tiny book is one of the famous children's classics. It was very enjoyable and clever read!

I've read many reviews and noticed that some people weren't happy that the book is so naturalistic, like for example when Mr. Fox eats chicken. This is actually what I really like about the story. I think children are often underesti
Oct 10, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake

Fantastic Mr Fox, written by Roald Dahl, tells the story of a country Fox and his family. Their peace and lives are shattered by three farmers that live near-by, who become increasingly outraged and obsessed about the foxes stealing food. The farmers’ determination leads to more and more extreme measures to kill Mr Fox and his family. The story ends happily with Mr Fox managing to outsmart the farmers and living happily after.
The st
101 Books to Read...: Fantastic Mr. Fox 6 7 Jul 21, 2016 09:11PM
The Neverlanders: Fantastic Mr. Fox Discussion 2 11 Mar 19, 2016 12:35AM
Around the Year i...: The Fantastic Mr. Fox, by Roald Dahl 8 27 Jan 20, 2016 01:27PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl 1 10 Jun 11, 2015 09:06AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 1- Fantastic Mr. Fox 1 6 Sep 06, 2014 01:22PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book review 3 - Fantastic Mr Fox 1 7 Sep 04, 2014 04:39AM
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Search for Delicious
  • The Great Paper Caper
  • Henry and Beezus (Henry, #2)
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • Last Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #6)
  • Escape From Warsaw
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Sophie's Tom (Sophie, #2)
  • Scrambled Eggs Super!
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)

More about Roald Dahl...

“I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.” 663 likes
“Badger: The cuss you are.
Mr. Fox: The cuss am I? Are you cussing with me?”
57 likes