Start by marking “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea” as Want to Read:
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

In this 1870 science-fiction classic, obsessed Captain Nemo and his prisoners descend beneath the sea in his secret submarine, the Nautilus, for nonstop adventure and suspense.
Published March 12th 1983 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

Artem Balan
Oct 12, 2016 Artem Balan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The name of the author is Jules Verne and the title of the book is 20000 leagues under the sea. The book is fiction as a giant mechanical squid is included in the book. I chose to read this book because my mother recommended it to me

The story is about a man who finds a mysterious captain operating a giant mechanical squid. The story takes place in the ocean. The main characters are the captain and the leader of the story which is spoken from first person. The captains name is Captain Nemo.

The p
Peyton Jay
Nov 30, 2014 Peyton Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great science fiction story that is a classic all on it's own. I love the oddity and suspense behind Captain Nemo, and how this story unfolds. One of the best science fiction books I read growing up as a child, and would definitely read to my children in the future. This shows the twists and turns behind explorer's diving into the deep blue sea a very long time ago, and the story they unfold is so great. Judith Conaway does an amazing job with this story.
Dedee
Aug 25, 2014 Dedee rated it really liked it
Loved this sci fi thriller. Even written so long ago the entire book was a first.
Mikey Barry
Oct 12, 2016 Mikey Barry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humanities
The book, 20,000 leagues under the sea by Jules Verne was originally written in french in 1870 .It is a fictional book that narrates the story about 3 people going around the world underwater in a submarine
.Professor Aronnax,his servant ,and harpooner Ned Land are looking for a mysterious monster that causes ships to sink.They find out that there is no monster but it is the nautilus, a submarine built by Captain Nemo.Captain Nemo Captures the Professor and Ned Land and makes them go on a journey
Everardo Duenas
May 04, 2016 Everardo Duenas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
do you want to read a book that is about a big animal living in the sea with people trying to search for it well the book is called 20,000 legues under the sea its a decent book i liked it its a fiction book and its basically about this capitan who gets attacked at a bar from a beast that is huge and it makes a solid hole under the bar. it takes place in the ocean i dont know where but some where i forgot to press save now i have to restart 9:37 pm and i think it person vs nature because thiers ...more
Luke
Tittle: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Author: Judith Conaway

Summary: Ned and his friends are trying to find this dangerous creature that ruled the sea. He fell off the ship and then met Captain Nemo. he ruled his own big ship that goes under water. The rule is once you enter, you can never leave. 6 months later Ned is tired of livng under water and he has to find a way to escape the seas and get back to land.

2 characters: Ned loves exploring. When he loved the ship, he followed Nemo everywhere wan
Caro
Jan 08, 2017 Caro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro me parecio un muy buen clasico y aunque nunca me atrapo si admire la capacidad de Verne para narrar todoncon tanto lujo de detalle. Y es que creo que ese fue mi problema con el libro (lo se yo sola me contradigo) porque la narracion era demasiado extensa y descriptiva a tal punto que incluia paginas y paginas de pura jerga cientifica bastante aburrida y es que este libro me hubiera encantado si se hubiera apegado mas a la historia y no te contara el nombre cientifico de cada pez en to ...more
Swickedgurl
I feel horrible for giving such a poor rating to such a classical book, but unfortunately, this was an incredibly slow read for me. The first several chapters were amazing; they were filled with suspense, action, and mystery! But unfortunately, the book slowed down to the point where I felt it dragged on. I felt that too many pages were spent on description and classification of fish and other sea creatures. It was not until the last few chapters that the book picked up the pace, and I could cle ...more
Leslie
Oct 19, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
This is an abridged version of Jules Verne's classic tale ideal for the young reader in about 5th grade. It is a chapter book with a few black and white illustrations but not for those youngsters just beginning to read chapter books. It's not difficult to read but not really a whole lot easier to read than the original. Some might say that it would be best to just wait a year or two and read the original.
Aj
Dec 18, 2015 Aj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I ever read it was a si-fi thriller that will keep you on the edge of you seat the entire story. The details are amazing, it makes you fell like your in the story it self. Over all it was a great book to be written along time ago.
ABC
May 27, 2011 ABC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
This is an adaption of the book, so it is VERY condensed and simplified. I would rather have read the original but our library had only this. I read it to my son and it was good to get the gist of this famous story. I have always heard about Captain Nemo, but never quite knew who he was.
Jim
Nov 10, 2010 Jim added it
Great older book. Written well enough that the reader can certainly imagine being there through the adventures. I did think the ending was lame, no real closure as to what had occurred. I guess Verne ran out of imagination and just wanted to finish it up...
Kim
So, I saw this in the children's section and thought it would be fun to read to Cooper. It was. I feel like I cheated in reading an adapted kid version of this story, but it's probably the only way I was going to read it, so that's fine with me!
Hesty
May 09, 2016 Hesty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time ever I decided one particular book should be passed onto my next generation just because its eccentricity and marvelous story telling!
Therese
Adventure under the sea is lovely and terrifying. This book is nice.
Cappuccino
Sep 02, 2015 Cappuccino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book, not the best: But still a cool crazy book!
Kristine
Aug 04, 2015 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read this to my kids. We all enjoyed it.
Cristian Baquero
libro que te deja imarginarte un mundo que nunca podras conocer a los ojos de estudiosos y hombres de mar
B.k.
Sep 04, 2015 B.k. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Slow read. If you are interested in the Scientific name and categories of sea creatures this may be the book for you. Other than that .... I would not waste your time.
Rishi V
Oct 09, 2016 Rishi V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-shelf
good book like it
Sinaan'S
Nov 13, 2016 Sinaan'S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent on how they made the reader think the fish was an actual angry fish instead of a submarine.
Eduardo
Peter Burgstaller
The language is a bit odd but a fantastic read never the less.
Sean
Sean rated it did not like it
May 05, 2015
Imogen Smith
Imogen Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Ahmed
Ahmed rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
Prerna
Prerna rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Maja Trajanova
Maja Trajanova rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2017
Ye mon Kyaw
Ye mon Kyaw rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Malorie Lebow
Malorie Lebow rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
  • Robin Hood (Stepping Stones)
  • Knights of the Round Table
  • Les Miserables (Stepping Stones)
  • The Case of the Stinky Science Project (Jigsaw Jones, #9)
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • What Was the Boston Tea Party?
  • The Barking Treasure Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #19)
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • The Titanic: Lost and Found
  • The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip (The Magic School Bus, #9)