Start by marking “Alvin Ho: Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Alvin Ho: Allergic to ...

Lenore Look

Alvin Ho: Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions (Alvin Ho #6)

Here’s the sixth book in the beloved and hilarious Alvin Ho chapter book series, which has been compared to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and is perfect for both beginning and reluctant readers.

Alvin, an Asian American second grader who’s afraid of everything, is taking his fears to a whole new level—or should we say, continent. On a trip to introduce brand-new baby Ho to relative
Published August 5th 2014 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Alvin Ho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alvin Ho

Alex Baugh
Sep 19, 2014 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: randomly-reading
It's Christmas vacation and Alvin Ho, 7 year old Chinese American second grader, is back for another adventure and this time he's leaving his home in Concord, MA and traveling half way around the world to visit family in Beijing, China.

For most kids, a trip to China would be an exciting, fun adventure, but most kids aren't Alvin. For Alvin, it means packing your PDK (Personal Disaster Kit), and climbing into a tin can to fly half way around the world, accompanied by his dad, his mom, older brot
Liz
Jun 12, 2017 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This one might be my favorite. Learning about Chinese culture through the eyes of a young Chinese American boy (3rd generation) whose family takes a trip to China to visit family comes across as so very authentic. I really hope we don't have to wait long for Book #7 in the series.
Jen Petro-Roy
3.5 stars.
Venus
Aug 23, 2014 Venus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

Alvin Ho is traveling with his family to China. However, when you are the kind of kid who fears everything, China can seem like a very scary place. First there is the 16-hour plane ride, then there's things like eating lunch food for breakfast, kung-fu lessons, acupuncture, the Great Wall of China, and a lost passport.

Apparently, this is the sixth book in the Alvin Ho series and I simply cannot believe I have not read them before. Alvin is a little
Cydney Griffin
Cydney Griffin
In the book, Alvin Ho: Allergic to the Great Wall, The Forbidden Palace and other tourist attractions, Alvin and family are about to go on a awesome adventure. This adventure would take them to China, but Alvin is afraid of China. Actually Alvin is afraid of everything! If he has his handy PDK along his side everything will be fine and he will survive anything that comes in his path. Much preparation and reading was done before this trip to avoid death at all cost. The first proble
babyhippoface
This was a tough call for me. I loved Alvin Ho in his first appearance. He was adorable and endearing. In this novel, though, I was impatient with him, wanted him to be more reasonable, and found him annoying for most of the first half of the book. His behavior on the airplane was not acceptable, and his irrational fears caused his family unnecessary difficulties and delays both in the airport and once they reached their destination in China. I wanted his parents to say, “I know you're afraid of ...more
Heather
Sep 11, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another adorable addition to Alvin Ho's adventures. In this book Alvin and his family travel to China to take in the sights and visit family. Alvin still finds plenty of things to be scared of and hilarity ensues.

Summary:
Here's the sixth book in the beloved and hilarious Alvin Ho chapter book series, which has been compared to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and is perfect for both beginning and reluctant readers. Alvin, an Asian American second grader who's afraid of everything, is taking his fears to a
Irene
Jul 02, 2016 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school children
I LOVE that this book introduces young readers to China and many aspects of Chinese culture.

But, for the first time in this series, I found myself feeling frustrated and annoyed with Alvin. He is his usual scared and sensitive self, but now - on this big international trip - his actions aren't just cute and funny. They have some serious consequences! He inadvertently causes trouble in the airport security line and on the flight, and his antics deprive his family of a meaningful visit at both th
Katie Fitzgerald
Alvin Ho: Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions represents a return to the Alvin Ho we all know and love. The previous book’s premise - that Alvin has a sympathetic pregnancy - was so ridiculous, it seemed like the author might have run out of interesting ways to scare her protagonist. While it is still somewhat unfortunate that Alvin continues to be so terrified of so many things and never seems to grow as a person, the predicaments he gets himself into ...more
Holland
Alvin and his family travel to China to show off his new baby sister Claire to family. As usual Alvin is terrified of everything.

On one hand, the story is funny. The messes Alvin gets in because of his fears are ridiculous. On the other hand, I have a child who suffers from great anxiety. Thinking of my son I can't help but think that a) Alvin's fears are very real to him and therefore aren't funny, and b) after parenting him for seven years his parents should know much better what to expect fr
Renee
Jun 12, 2016 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Chinese American I was relieved by Lenore Look's depiction of Alvin Ho. Despite Alvin's phobias, he's relatable as the every-kid. I cringe when other writers write about Chinese Americans as if they are unicorns or otherworldly mystics.

This book was light and playful. My biggest relief was that it avoided stereotypes. The main character's list of cute names to call his youngest sibling? Cute and creative! His term of endearment for his baby sister changed every chapter and named some sweet
Emmet O'Neal Library- Children's Department
Within a couple pages of the front cover, Alvin has already stripped down to his birthday suit in the airport security line and emptied the highly suspicious contents (you know, knives, lighter fluid, etc.) of his PDK onto the x-ray conveyor belt. And the rest of the book continues in typical Alvin fashion, all the way to the high rises and air pollution and ancient history of Beijing to visit his relatives.

Alvin is just as lovable across the globe as he is in Concord – but you’ll be thankful yo
The Styling Librarian
Alvin Ho: Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions by Lenore Look, illustrated by LeUyen Pham – Realistic Fiction – 3rd grade and up – What a fantastic novel this was! I loved every bit from traveling with Alvin on an airplane to going through security checks to walking up stairs versus riding an elevator to adventuring around incredible places in China… loved every dramatic, hilarious moment.
Amanda
Aug 28, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Alvin Ho book that I've read. I enjoyed it. It's for a younger audience than I expected. I'll be recommending it to students in grades 2-4. There is a lot of humor, and many children will identify with Alvin's worries. You can think of this as Scaredy Squirrel in novel form, with a side of Asian-American experience. I suspect it would make a great read-aloud. All that being said, I found Alvin's antics repetitive and I am not compelled to read any more in the series.
Anna
Sep 23, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Delightfully silly. A fun story, told in a unique, quirky voice. Some scenes were more than a little over the top which was not really necessary and I would have preferred that the story stay a little more grounded. But on the whole I liked it and will probably read more Alvin (as this turns out to be the 6th in the series.)
Mandy
Mar 06, 2016 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Another enjoyable read about the ever-anxious Alvin Ho and his adventures with his Chinese-American family. This entry takes the family to China to visit some relatives. Alvin finds plenty to worry about on the plane and on the trip itself. His whirlwind explanation of Chinese history and culture may be just enough for the reader to investigate more on their own.
Tanja
Loved, loved, loved it! So much fun to read! I was laughing out loud from the very first chapter. The books in this series have gotten better and better and this is most probably my favourite (and I was so sad to find out that it is also the last in the series). Alvin is such a great kid. I loved getting to know him a bit more with each new book.
Read  Ribbet
Alvin Ho is back and this time his family is visiting China. The travel and new surroundings set up many reasons to raise his anxieties. The book is loaded with information about the Chinese tourist attractions as Alvin , his family and relatives spend time together abroad. Alvin Ho continues to be a favorite Acceptable and Accessible text series.

Annina Luck
Mar 01, 2015 Annina Luck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-book
Really good and looking forward to reading the whole series now plus the Ruby series. There is great humor but also emotion in this book. I love Alvin's relationship with his father and also that he is a truly empathetic person. Illustrations by LeUyen Pham add so much to this story. Her characters also are empathetic and amusing.
Karen Arendt
I just love Alvin Ho, and this is his funniest book yet! The family takes a trip to China, but Alvin's fear of most everything causes troubles including losing a very important passport! I chuckled each time Alvin had a new fish name for his new baby sister, Claire, too. A great read aloud for grades 1-3.
Natalie Moreland
Alvin Ho is hysterical. This book didn't quite live up to the standards of the first few. It felt like Look was trying to hard to be similar to stories like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. But it was enjoyable nonetheless.
Nina
Oct 03, 2015 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
“You don’t need words to be a friend,” my mom said. “You just need to be there.”

Finally I got a good book to read! Alvin is a funny boy and he's alergic to a lot of things. He's easy to like and kind too.
Ann Schwarz
Jan 08, 2014 Ann Schwarz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Another hilarious Alvin Ho adventure. This time with Alvin trying to be a tourist while visiting family in China. I laughed out loud several times as he faces pit toilets, crowds, and dragons that come to life in his imagination.
Claudia
May 17, 2015 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable! I want to read the rest of the Alvin Ho's books! Too bad I am not 8. I laughed out loud.
Brenda
Jul 27, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Alvin. You have such an understanding and patient family. Of course you can be a friend... and so much more.
Brenda
Oct 21, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Alvin Ho, with all his fears and phobias. I am so glad he survives his trip to China, and discovers ways to cope with the scariness of the other side of the world.
Moni Smith
Nov 09, 2014 Moni Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was great! Very funny.
Rachel
Aug 22, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for the Emmet O'Neal Library Children's Department. Click here to access the children's portion of the review.
Ella
My 2015 Book Challenge: A Book Set In Another Country

Granted, I read other books this year set in other countries, but this was the first that sprang to mind.
Rachael
Kiddo & I really enjoyed this, but both found the ending waaaaaaaaay too unresolved for our tastes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Ling & Ting Share a Birthday (Ling & Ting, #2)
  • The Year of the Fortune Cookie (Anna Wang #3)
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • The Best Man
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Clementine and the Spring Trip (Clementine, #6)
  • My Heart Is Laughing
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • The Dunderheads
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop Book 1)
  • The Qwikpick Papers: Poop Fountain!
  • Amelia Bedelia Shapes Up (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Book #5)
  • Snake and Lizard
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit (Charlie Joe Jackson, #2)
  • License to Thrill (The Genius Files, #5)
  • Sophie Simon Solves Them All
I first began making picture books in kindergarten because my other career option at the time was stealing. But a life of crime requires practice and patience, neither of which I had, so I settled into industry, making what I coveted but what my parents could not afford to buy: beautiful books like the ones my teacher read to us in school.

Publishing was no problem in those days, not like it is no
More about Lenore Look...

Alvin Ho (6 books)
  • Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1)
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-made Catastrophes (Alvin Ho, #3)
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night (Alvin Ho, #5)

“Bean Sprout” 0 likes