Start by marking “Tusk” as Want to Read:
Tusk

Tusk (33⅓ #77)

3.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This book is an in-depth look at Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, one of the most unusual albums ever released by a major rock band.
Published December 9th 2010 by Continuum (first published November 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tusk

Let's Talk About Love by Carl WilsonIn the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Kim CooperExile on Main St. by Bill JanovitzDummy by R.J. WheatonDusty in Memphis by Warren Zanes
33⅓
91st out of 114 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

John
I read this as research for a piece I’m writing on Fleetwood Mac, but I want to talk a little bit here about how the book is formally arranged. Like a few other 33 1/3 entries – the one on Guided by Voices’ Bee Thousand comes immediately to mind – Trucks takes an album that’s accepted as formally “difficult” or unconventional, and writes about it in a formally unconventional way, or actually a way that formally mimics the unconventional structure of the album it’s describing.

I’ve seen reviews o
Neil
Feb 22, 2014 Neil rated it did not like it
Turgid drivel, avoid, don't waste your money

I really had high hopes of this book, it was a rare treat to find a book written on the largely ignored Tusk album instead of Rumours, however how disappointed was I in this read, it seems as through the author thought that they had secured interviews with the band and when these supposed interviews never happened the author filled the space within the book with random notes of nothingness, so very disappointing and such a shame, I count myself as a h
Doug
Apr 19, 2015 Doug rated it it was ok
The author starts off the book telling me I won't like it. He's right. This book isn't really about Tusk; it's about what people think about Tusk. It's also about the author's cross-country running, his noisy upstairs neighbor, and something about guys who didn't play in the majors very long. Lindsey Buckingham is the only member of Fleetwood Mac he interviewed for the book. He probably should have just done a book about Lindsey Buckingham. You really won't learn much about Tusk.

But maybe THIS
Drew Raley
Nov 27, 2011 Drew Raley rated it really liked it
A perverse exercise in taking the long way round to get to the point, the book is, like the album, a difficult and ultimately worthy folly.
Tim Byron
Mar 14, 2011 Tim Byron rated it liked it
Rob Trucks' take on Tusk is an interesting but ultimately failed enterprise. Oddly, you get the impression that Trucks knows this - the book starts with an apology, and Trucks obviously lays the blame for the book's failure at the feet of Lindsey Buckingham, who promised detailed interviews but ultimately didn't consent to an interview specifically about Tusk.

One quirk of the book is that about 20% of it is a narrative about Trucks' life which, again, he apologizes for at the outset. I didn't mi
Eric
Feb 12, 2012 Eric rated it it was ok
In the forward, titled "The Warning Shot," Rob Trucks warns us the reader if he/she is the type of person who doesn't enjoy the 33 1/3 books which use a personal voice, they probably won't enjoy Tusk. I would consider myself one of these people (and according to Trucks there are a lot of us), but appreciated him being upfront about this, so I steeled myself and tried to withhold too severe a judgment on whatever personal stories he just felt he had to include to make this the best possible book ...more
Anna
Aug 20, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, music, 2013
I am back to complain about music writing again. I liked this book - mostly. The author comes right out at the start and says this is not the book he was intending to write - he was supposed to have more interviews with Lindsey Buckingham, specifically about Tusk, but Buckingham wanted to talk about his current solo albums and tours and did not want to talk about Tusk. So the author had to take a different track than he had originally planned. What it ends up being is a mixture of Fleetwood Mac ...more
Meg
Mar 25, 2015 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves
It almost, almost worked. I didn't hate it, but I feel like he had some interesting thoughts about Tusk from an critical point of view, and would touch on them and then skitter away to talk about his upstairs neighbor again. The writing style was interesting and I don't mind the self-insertion, but definitely something unsatisfying about it.
Eva Becker
Feb 12, 2016 Eva Becker rated it liked it
Ultimately, I liked this a lot more than I thought I would while I was reading it. Rob Trucks works in a third-person autobiography, largely unrelated to Tusk, Fleetwood Mac, or even music. He starts with a little introduction stating he's aware it will probably not be well received, apparently an attempt to mirror Lindsey Buckingham's risky and unconventional creative approach to Tusk and the time-and-place nature of the album. At first it all seemed a little forced and contrived, though all of ...more
Jonathan Bloom
Nov 03, 2015 Jonathan Bloom rated it liked it
A little too much autobiographical content. More of a book about Lindsey Buckingham than about Fleetwood Mac. However, the writing is unique, entertaining, and often times funny. I enjoyed it despite its flaws. P.S. If you like the song-by-song breakdown many authors provide in 33 1/3 books, don't expect one here.
Jesse
Nov 12, 2012 Jesse rated it liked it
I don't ask for a whole lot out of my 33 1/3 books -- some Behind the Music theatrics, some Classic Albums insights, and maybe some structural hijinks to keep things fresh. For the most part, Rob Trucks' was satisfying, though I wanted more specifics about the recording itself. I wasn't sold on the personal angle in the case of this 33 1/3, as it didn't seem to tie terribly convincingly to the "text" of the album, which itself seemed somewhat hidden.
Nathan
May 29, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 33-1-3-series
Perhaps the introduction begging me to not like this book led me to rebel, and like it anyways. While I don't really feel that it excelled at getting to the heart of Tusk, I definitely enjoyed the literary style present throughout. The reading was simple, and the book was not bogged down by excessive gear head technology, so that's always nice. Not sure exactly who the last chapter fits, but I just finished it, so maybe in a few days it will sink in.
Nicholas
Jan 23, 2012 Nicholas rated it really liked it
As he states, one of those books where the author interjects himself into the story. There was less and less eye rolling as it went along and there was a dig at Malcolm Gladwell at the end that made the whole conceit worthwhile and probably gave the book an extra star...
A good little read. Probably not going to make you appreciate the album any more...
Will
May 06, 2012 Will rated it liked it
Enjoyable read in general, althoug becomes repititious in the Buckingham narrative about 2/3 of the way through.
Donkey21
Jul 13, 2014 Donkey21 rated it liked it
One of my favorite albums, but this book focuses mainly on Lindsey Buckingham.
Celia
Nov 13, 2013 Celia rated it did not like it
Self-indulgent crap, and boring.
Jen Mem
Jen Mem rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Marie-Joelle Paquin
Marie-Joelle Paquin marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Craig Gawlick
Craig Gawlick rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Jer Fairall
Jer Fairall marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Bruce Malleus-mayer
Bruce Malleus-mayer rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
emily
emily marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Sofie Mathiesen
Sofie Mathiesen marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Thomas Herlin
Thomas Herlin is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2016
Paulina ♡
Paulina ♡ marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

33⅓ (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Dusty in Memphis