Start by marking “The Visit” as Want to Read:
The Visit

The Visit

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In December of 1823, the poem now known as The Night Before Christmas was first published anonymously and has since become the best loved Christmas poem of all time. Now, for the first time in The Visit, Dinghy Sharp, a direct descendant of recognized author Clement Clarke Moore, shares her delightful story with us all, and reveals the history and origin of this beloved po ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Lang Graphics

To ask other readers questions about The Visit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visit

Dec 08, 2013 Wanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: 2013, netgalley
8 DEC 2013 - received through Netgalley and Schiff Publishing Ltd. This beautifully illustrated and wonderfully written story provides insight into the story behind 'Twas The Night Before Christmas. As a child, my Mother read "Twas the Night Before Christmas to my sister and me every year. I love this poem and still read it every year at Christmastime. I cannot describe the joy and gratitude I felt in receiving The Visit.

Erik This Kid Reviews Books
A mother and her children visit their grandfather, who tells them the true story behind The Night Before Christmas. Author Clement C. Moore, who on Christmas Eve, promised to tell his daughter a new Christmas story. He came up with “The Night Before Christmas.” The whole story was inspired by a trip to town that night!

The true story about The Night Before Christmas should be in every household! It is based on the true story of how the classic “The Night Before Christmas” came about. The story wa
Alex Baugh
By now, we are probably all familiar with the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas" or a most people call it "The Night before Christmas" by Clement Clarke Moore. And some of us may be familiar with the controversy over whether or not Moore was the real author of the poem. The poem was written in 1822, and published in 1862 and has been enjoyed by children and adults ever since.

In 2000, Mark Kimball Moulton has a conversation with Dinghy Sharp, the great great granddaughter of Clement Moore and in th
DelAnne Frazee
Title: The Visit - The Origin Of the Night Before Christmas
Author: Maek Kimball Moulton
Illustrated By: Susan Winget
Publisher: Schiffer Publishing Ltd
Published: 10-28-2013
ISBN: 9780764345753
Pages: 50

Most people have either read the poem The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore for his daughter or at least heard of it, but this beautifully illustrated goes even further and tells the legacy of the family's history of the poem as it was passed down through the family. The Vist
This is a beautifully done Christmas book! The classic Christmas poem, The Night Before Christmas, was written by Clement Clarke Moore in 1822. He created it for his daughter, and so, here, we get to go behind the poem as toldby thegreat-great-granddaughter of Clement Clarke Moore, Dinghy Sharp.

I liked how the poem was passed down through the generations of the Moore family just like in the old Oral Tradition, and I also liked seeing what inspired the poem. Learning a bit about sugarplums, for
While I enjoyed "The Visit", I wanted a bit more from this title. The story of the origin of "The Night Before Christmas" was actually quite cute, and well told. The beginning almost didn't pull me in, and some of the layout was just okay at times. Overall, a recommended title for fans of the classic Christmas poem, as this ultimately is enjoyable.

I was provided a copy via Netgalley.
Destiny Dawn Long
A full review is available on my blog:

"My favorite part, though, is the very end. That’s because a copy of the original poem, in Moore’s own handwriting, is included. The old cursive may be a challenge for some to read, but how wonderful to see it in the author’s own hand! (It can even be used to give older children a history lesson on “primary source documents”.) The book was very thoughtfully executed. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. If anyone has b
My favorite holiday story! This book recounts the story behind the writing of Clement Clarke Moore's famous poem - Twas the Night Before Christmas, by his great-great grandson (I think it was). It's written in the same wonderful prose, and is a touching holiday read for all ages. I cry every year when I read it aloud to my children. Rhyming text.
Thanks to and Schiffer Publishing for early access to this title.

Very cute! I loved the illustrations! They're kind of in an more old-fashioned style than many illustrations today. I also thoroughly enjoyed this true story of the origin of "The Night Before Christmas." This is a great book to read to children for Christmas!
Nanci Booher
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC. I am in love with this book. It took me right back to being a kid, standing around my grandmother's tree and wondering what was underneath. Told with beautiful illustrations and rhyming text, this is surely to be a new must own Holiday book.
Ah, poetry. Ah, Christmas. Ah, everything about this.
The Night Before Christmas is among my favourite poems, whether it's for the seasonal feel or the lovely story I cannot say, but this sweet revisit didn't make me enjoy it any less. Absolutely lovely.
Sara B
I think everyone has heard of the Night Before Christmas. It is beautifully with awesome pictures. This is another must one book. It is enjoyed by both adults and children alike. Wonderful! My daughter really enjoys this book very much!
Sue Poduska
Beautiful keepsake. Tale of the writing of The Night Before Christmas as told to Clement Moore's descendants.
ARC supplied by publisher via NetGalley
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Suzanne Rohrbaugh
Suzanne Rohrbaugh marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Mimi marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Gemma Williams
Gemma Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Qwendy marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014