Start by marking “Tochter des Nils” as Want to Read:
Tochter des Nils

Tochter des Nils

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  5,737 ratings  ·  509 reviews
Mara würde alles tun, um aus ihrem Sklavendasein auszubrechen. Deshalb zögert sie nicht, als ihr neuer Herr ihr die Freiheit verspricht, wenn sie einen lebensgefährlichen Auftrag annimmt: Sie soll Thutmosis, den Stiefsohn der herrschenden Pharaonin Hatschepsut, ausspionieren.
Doch schon bald gerät Mara in Bedrängnis. Sie muss, um ihr Leben zu retten, einen zweiten geheimen
Published January 11th 2002 by Beltz (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Tochter des Nils, please sign up.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainA River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman Maclean
Rivers
238th out of 253 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Tadiana
This holds up pretty darn well for a 60 year old YA book. Set in ancient Egypt, it's the story of a bright, feisty slave girl who unexpectedly finds herself a double spy for both sides of a conflict over the throne of Egypt. Either side is likely to immediately kill her if her duplicity is discovered. And then her heart starts to get involved . . .

I had very fond memories of reading Mara years ago, and I was delighted and, frankly, relieved when my recent re-read lived up to my memories, which i
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
"Then the stars went out, for the bark of Ra, in fiery splendor, burst out of the East. Sunshine flooded the wide desert and the long, green valley of the Nile. The night was over; a new day has dawned for the land of Egypt."
Generally, I do not reread books. I have a short attention span, I constantly seek novelty, and once a book or a film has been watched, even if I greatly enjoyed it, I will never reach for it again. There are only a few books that I enjoy rereading, Mara, Daughter of the Ni
Kate
I am going to open up my heart to you guys. I read this book when I was, oh, maybe 7 or 8, and it was my favorite book for YEARS. I re-read it countless times. It was the only book from my childhood I brought with me to college. It may have been, in large part, the reason my mom once bought me a t-shirt that said "Kathleen" in - wait for it -HIEROGLYPHICS.

I have no idea if this is actually a good book or not. I loved it so much as a kid that I couldn't possibly give an impartial opinion even now
Willow
Thanks for the buddy read, Jeannette! :D

Mara Daughter of the Nile was originally published back in 1953, and I find that books that were written during that time, always make me think of old movies. It’s the way the characters talk and interact with each other. The hero doesn’t just kiss the heroine. He pulls her into his arms and gives her a grand sweeping kiss that should have music playing in the background. Now don’t get me wrong, I happen to love this because I think it’s breathlessly roman
( ●—● ) Evelynn
Mara intently fixed her gaze on the young man before her, who asked, "What is the message, Blue Eyed One?"

"'What are your thoughts?'" she quoted. "'Shall you tell me of the plot? Have you found the writings favorable?'"

Sheftu, with a casual smile that was yet guarded, replied, "Are those his words, or yours?"

"By the Feather of Truth, I only quoted them exactly."

"From your thoughts, no doubt."

Ai, he knows, but I will not let him best me, thought Mara. I will get the truth of him.... "Is this book
Gail Carriger
Nov 19, 2009 Gail Carriger rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Shelves: favorites, ya
I adored this book when I first read it at age 10, and still love it 20 years later. I cannot recommend it highly enough to young lady readers who have any interest at all in Ancient Egypt.

Mara is a slave girl sold to become a spy who ends up embroiled in a plot to overthrow the (female) Pharaoh Hatshepsut. McGraw's attention to detail and knowledge of the time are impeccable, her characters are alive and engaging, there's a nice little romance, plenty of drama and suffering for the cause, and
Tweety
Jun 05, 2014 Tweety rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All people, you won't regret it
Recommended to Tweety by: Tadiana
I'll not write a long review since others have already said everything there is to be said, but I will say that I can't believe how beautiful this was. I wish I could read it all over again. Five Stars easy, it was a million times better than my last book.

Mara was a delight, she was a sweet little trickster who didn't know which people to side with. Whichever side she chose to spy for, there was danger and intrigue. From robing the dead in their crypts' to appearing before Pharaoh, Mara gets ent
Sophia
I loved this in junior high and dug it out again for a "light" read -- it's actually more intense than I remembered, but still fun. For being written in 1953, Mara is a surprisingly strong female character, a slave-turned-spy for two opposing masters. She's smart, quick on her feet, speaks Babylonian, plays both sides, and even stands up under torture. The romance novel aspects are the least interesting elements, not because they're particularly silly but just because McGraw's beautiful descript ...more
Hana
This was great fun and a smooth, easy read--in fact I fairly tore through this one and could not wait to find out what happened.

McGraw knows how to keep the plot moving and her heroine, Mara the slave girl, is spunky, intelligent and conniving enough to be plausible in her new role as a double agent in the royal court. I'm far from being an Egyptologist, but I've traveled to Egypt and spent enough time in the Egyptian galleries of various museums to know that McGraw gets all sorts of little deta
Anne Osterlund
Mara is a slave girl in Ancient Egypt. Determined to change her fortune and be free. No matter what it takes. When a messenger from Queen Hatshepsut purchases Mara and makes her an offer to spy and act the part of a royal interpreter, our heroine sees her chance.

But then Sheftu, a scribe who is not a scribe, decides he has a hold over her as well and hires her to spy for the King Thutmos III instead. Which Mara realizes is also a chance.

And all these chances add up to . . . something very much o
Arwen
Nov 18, 2014 Arwen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I love this book. I don't remember when I first read it but I recently finished reading it again. It is set in ancient Egypt, during the reign of Hatshepsut. The setting is vivid and detailed, bringing the era to life for the reader. One of my favorite passages is near the end of the book, where view switches to that of Nuit, Goddess of the Sky. Nuit begins to follow the characters at the climax of the book but is momentarily distracted by the beauty of her starry reflection in the river Nile.

Th
Becky
Great story! Engaging heroine, smart and plucky without being overly sassy and a hero I am absolutely in love with. I love a ruthless, driven, obsessed man that DOES NOT want to be distracted by a pretty girl. There's just something so sweet about watching the poor guy struggle with his feelings.

The setting was superb, and since I haven't read a lot of Egyptian anything it was new and refreshing. The secondary characters were fleshed out, interesting and unique. The plot was right up my alley,
Hannah
This book is a lot of fun. I would particularly recommend it to tween/teen girls. It's exactly the sort of romantic adventure I would have loved to death at that age. I still love it now, but that's because there's a little tween girl still living inside of me--a little tween girl who would have been frightened and thrilled by the action and more than a little intrigued by the dashing hero, Sheftu. He's totally the guy young girls dream of having an adventure with.
You can tell the book was writ
Shantelle Mary
Mara, Daughter of the Nile was a superb novel. I was surprised and delighted by the depth of the story, the crazy awesomeness of the plot, and... yes, the entire book in and of itself.

A richly historical book to be sure. We explore Egypt and her culture, customs, kings and queens. Of course, this historical depth includes mentions of gods and goddesses, and also a slightly creepy scene down in the tombs of Egypt's dead kings. That I could have done without.

But yes, the overall story was just ver
Nikki
Mara, Daughter of the Nile was an enjoyable read and overall I enjoyed McGraw's writing. However, I was a bit turned off by the very anti-Hatshepsut sentiment of the novel despite Mara being a double spy. I would have thought the novel would play both sides but instead it focused almost entirely on the anti-Hatshepsut camp and spy dealings. There really is little evidence as far as I am concerned to back up the villainous way in which Hatshepsut came across.

Our main character, Mara, is a strong
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
I first read this book when I was a teen. For the longest time, all I could remember about it was that the main character got whipped within an inch of her life near the end and that her shoulders were still healing when the romantic storyline was wrapped up. I also remembered not quite liking Sheftu, but I couldn't remember why. A comment on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books reminded me of the book's title and author. My first thought was, "Must request this via ILL!" So I did.

Even though it's danger
Danielle
I must have read this first in middle school - probably found it by snooping around the historical fiction section of my library. Goodness, I love this book - and this author. If you are a fan of historical fiction, or simply of good stories, you really should look into her other works.

As you can probably guess by the title, this work is set in ancient Egypt. I won't write a synopsis, but I will list a few of the things this book features in case you're considering giving it a try.

- Your typical
Daria
This was...this had been...one of the greatest books of all time. I remember reading it in 6th grade, and fell in love with it head over heels. Great twisting, nail-biting suspense, and a beautiful ending (as was the SPOILER!!! torture scene. OK, so people may think me weird for finding torture scenes beautiful, but it was really well-written). The heroine is strongheaded, and absolutely relatable to. The romance is of the best kind - not too much, and yet almost not enough to satisfy the reader ...more
Miss Clark
Feb 27, 2010 Miss Clark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Maria S.
Shelves: adventure, historical
Political intrigue, adventure, a touch of romance and plenty of danger, all set in ancient Egypt? What's not to like? I bit more time spent between Sheftu and Mara would have been appreciated, as well as more in-depth characterizations all around, but still fun. And I am definitely going to need to find The Witch of Blackbird Pond now.

The one weird thing was the sometimes very modern language that seemed out of place.
Elizabeth Johnson
This book is amazing! I loved the main character, Mara. She is spunky and impulsive, and I never got tired of reading about her. Her character was really well developed. Actually, I thought that about most of the characters. Well, Mara, Inanni, and Nekonkh. Sheftu's personality was a little more obscure, but that in itself is part of his personality. I never really understood why he was so opposed to Hatshepsut, but this didn't affect my overall opinion of the book.

I thought the book was very w
Rima Jean
I read this book when I was 13, and I can honestly say that it shaped the way I write. The characters are three-dimensional, flesh and blood. The writing is lyrical and flawless. The recreation of Ancient Egypt is simply magical, and no matter your age, you will not be able to stop reading!
Tectonic
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! The plot is impossible to follow, the characters are horrible, and overall this is not a good book. Once I neared the end, I was wishing that everybody would somehow die. I repeat, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK!
Sherwood Smith
I think this was the first book that turned me on to historical fiction. I checked it out over and over.
Makayla
Absolutely loved this book!! It's filled with drama, romance, mystery and excitement. Read it!!
Rebecca
In answer to the outcries of my fellow students: Sheftu is definitely not a jerk.
Taylor
HORRIBLE SRUPID BORING BOOK THAT I HAD TO READ FOR SCHOOL
Mara
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? The cover art is, unfortunately, dated, and it would be nice is someone gave it better cover art. As far as dated covers go, though, this one isn't horrible.

Characters: Mara is a spitfire is ever one existed. Sometimes it made it a little hard to feel sorry for her, as her indiscretion caused a lot of her own problems. But at the same time, I had to cheer her on for defusing to be bowed and humbled by anyone. She was going to fight and rebel no matter how badly she would
Emma Brown
Though a fan of historical fiction, I found this book rather disappointing even with the interesting tidbits of facts the author used. The writing itself was not horrible, but its lack of engaging prose gives the impression of it being the author's first-time novel.

The main character was so ridden with cliché that I couldn't appreciate her, and the supporting cast could only redeem so much. She had the odds stacked against my liking her: starting with a misunderstood slave girl (with a mysteriou
Gale
A MINX IN THE LAND OF THE SPHYNX!

Mara is a tough, gritty guttersnipe of a slave girl--with a dream of freedom and enough wealth to never endure hunger, dirt, whippings or psychological abuse again. Remarkable for her blue eyes, quick wit and saucy tongue, she is abruptly sold to an agent of Queen Hatshepsut--a female Pharaoh. Mara is to serve as an interpreter for a Babylonian-speaking princess (unwilling, unwanted, homesick). Actually Mara must be a spy because she will have freer access to t
Rachel
This is one of my all time favorite books. Great characters. Beautiful setting. Mysterious and woven plot.

I've never read a book set in Egypt, but I've always liked the desert/pyramid/pharaohs setting. Plus, when I heard it was about a spy, I was even more intrigued. However, I was still unsure because I was in the mood for a romance and I didn't want anything that was a historical fiction trying to be a romance. Wow, was I wrong. This is also one of the most romantic books I've read.

My favorit
YA Rewind: Mara, Daughter of the Nile Discussion Page 1 7 May 01, 2013 01:07PM
  • The Sherwood Ring
  • Seven Daughters and Seven Sons
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • Calico Captive
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
  • The Iron Peacock
  • Theras and His Town
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • Shadow Spinner
  • The Borrowed House (Young Adult Bookshelf Series)
  • Time Enough for Drums
  • Turn Homeward, Hannalee
  • In Search of Honor
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
Eloise Jarvis McGraw was an author of children's books. She was awarded the Newbery Honor three times in three different decades, for her novels Moccasin Trail (1952), The Golden Goblet (1962), and The Moorchild (1997). A Really Weird Summer (1977) won an Edgar Award for Best Juvenile Mystery from the Mystery Writers of America. McGraw had a very strong interest in history, and among the many book ...more
More about Eloise Jarvis McGraw...
The Moorchild The Golden Goblet Moccasin Trail Master Cornhill The Seventeenth Swap

“...The queen's mocking laughter cut in. "This is your treasure, Lord Sheftu?"

"Aye. The greatest treasure in Egypt—a maid whose loyalty cannot be bought. Whatever bargain we make, Daughter of the Sun, must include her freedom.”
16 likes
“You are both daring and unscrupulous, and you think fast. I have been looking for a person with those particular characteristics. Also I noticed you speak Babylonian.” 13 likes