Start by marking “The Rich Man and the Parrot” as Want to Read:
The Rich Man and the Parrot

The Rich Man and the Parrot

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This tale from the 13th-century Persian poet Rumi is retold for today's young readers, and includes a clever twist sure to add to the delight. Full color.
Published January 1st 2007 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Rich Man and the Parrot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rich Man and the Parrot

Emily Smith
The Rich Man and the Parrot is about a rich man who lives in India and his mansion is filled with magnificent treasures from all over the world. His most prized possession is a talking parrot who is able to cheer him up by telling him old legends and tall tales. The rich man built a garden for his parrot complete with sycamore trees, jasmine bushes, and cold water fountains. He gave the parrot everything except freedom. When the parrot asks if he can fly around with all the other birds, the rich...more
JustOneMoreBook.com
Lyrical dialog and sweet, somehow soothing illustrations bring to life an 800 year old story of fondness and freedom that challenges us to make space for the perspectives of both captor and captive.

Listen to our chat about The Rich Man and the Parrot on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:
Kirsten
This is based on a story by Rumi. The illustrations are lovely and my kids seemed to like it, but I ended up feeling like there was something missing here. Overall I'd class it as more "ok" than "great."
Dee
A classic tale by Rumi retold. Beautifully illustrated story about a parrot that wants his freedom and how he gets it with a little help from his friends, of course.
Brandy Gilbertson
I didn't particularly enjoy the illustrations myself, but I did enjoy the story. I think this would be a great picture books for kids.
Sharlet Mullen
This was a new story with a wonderful message of never holding anything or anyone back from what they need.
Hannah
I think this book sends a great message but also wasn't my favorite book I have ever read
Megen
This book has "the magic 3": Three birds were depicted as "dying".
Zonia
Another wise Persian (Afghanistan) tale by poet Rumi.
Crista
Oct 20, 2011 Crista marked it as to-read
Shelves: arab
Middle East Outreach Council 2007 Honorable Mention
Lupita Melchor
Lupita Melchor marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Chaitali
Chaitali marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
May
May marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2011