Start by marking “A Wizard's Dozen: Stories of the Fantastic” as Want to Read:
A Wizard's Dozen: Stories of the Fantastic

A Wizard's Dozen: Stories of the Fantastic

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  11 reviews

In this collection of short stories, some of the characters you’ll meet include a werewolf princess, a clan of Sea Giants, a feisty king’s daughter known as The Princess Who Kicked Butt, and a fairy child kidnapped by ants. Contributors include Bruce Coville, Charles de Lint, Will Shetterly, Betty Levin, Jane Yolen, and many more. “The selections are well written, neatly p

Published October 31st 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Wizard's Dozen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wizard's Dozen

Marissa
This is a fun collection of stories. I found them all to be readable, but favorites I enjoy rereading are the more light-hearted inclusions - The Sixty-Two Curses of Caliph Arenschadd by Patricia C. Wrede and The Princess Who Kicked Butt by Will Shetterly, both of which I would particularly recommend.
Eden
This book is filled with stories of fantasy by some very good and well known auithors. I enjoyed the book, but not as much as I thought. Some of the stories I couldn't get into and the ending of one of the stories just really annoyed me.
However, there are definitely some gems in this book. The first story The Sixty-two Curses of Caliph Arenschadd by Patricia C. Wrede is a creative, unique and wonderful story.
Fairy Dust by Charles de Lint (Author) is a good story and is about how important it is
Wealhtheow
A collection of fantasy short stories. Patricia Wrede's "The 62 Curses of Caliph Arenschadd" has fun world-building. Charles de Lint's "Fairy Dust" is, like all his other work, filled with fascile moral conclusions and immature writing. I loved the main character in Will Shetterly's "The Princess Who Kicked Butt." Tappan King's "Come Hither" also has a very enjoyable main character (another self-sufficient girlchild).
I have always thought Bruce Coville is awesome, and he proves it yet again wit
SBC
I really enjoyed this book when I read it as a teenager. My favourite stories were Patricia C. Wrede's The Sixty-Two Curses of Caliph Arenschadd and Sherwood Smith's Faith. I also liked Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald's retelling of Snow White, The Queen's Mirror and Jane Yolen's Harlyn's Fairy.
Shannon Cooley
Overall, this was a fun read, but nothing spectacular. It's not one I'll rush to read again soon, but it is one I'll keep on my shelves for my kids to pick up someday. It's a good book to pick up when you only have a few minutes at a time, because most of the stories are pretty short.
Chandra
I have always loved the characters from The Princess Who Kicked Butt. For that reason alone, this book will always remain among my fond childhood memories. The other stories are also well written and worth the time it takes to read them.
Denae Christine
For short stories, these were superb. I especially liked Sixty-Curses of Caliph Arenschadd, Princess Who Kicked Butt, Breath of Princes, and Faith. Great authors. I might decide to read some more short stories...and maybe not.
Jillian
A very fun collection, though a few tales were a bit simplistic or anticlimactic. My favorites were the stories by Patricia C. Wrede, Will Shetterly, Bruce Coville, and Vivian Van Velde.
Kira E.
This book is full of short stories, all about magic. I enjoyed reading these stories, but some were more "slow" then others, but still pretty good.
Kim
A fast read and some of the stories are really good. (It's a bunch of short stories)
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Minoakaokalani Steward
Minoakaokalani Steward marked it as to-read
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Marie
Marie added it
Apr 12, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Heather V
Heather V marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Traci Miller
Traci Miller marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Leilani Smith
Leilani Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Debra Thomas
Debra Thomas marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
EKG Johns
EKG Johns marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Leah Weir
Leah Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Erin1
Erin1 marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
  • Oddly Enough (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #1)
  • Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance
  • A Well-Timed Enchantment
  • The Big Nap: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • The Vanishing (The Last Dogs, #1)
  • Assassin Fantastic
  • Making Mischief: A Maurice Sendak Appreciation
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • Story Time
  • The Blue Shoe: A Tale of Thievery, Villainy, Sorcery, and Shoes
  • The Players of Luck (Liavek, #2)
A Nightmare's Dozen: Stories from the Dark A Starfarer's Dozen: Stories of Things to Come Just Another Yo-Yo Contest Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2) Nobody's Son

“The Evil Enchanter appeared in a cloud of smoke. He waved his arms to fan away the fumes, and when he quit coughing, he said, "You've come to rescue no one. Now that you're here, you shall marry me." He waved his arms once, and a priest appeared in a cloud of smoke. After everyone quit coughing, he turned to the priest and said, "Marry me!"
The priest said, "But I don't know you."
"No, no, no!" said the Evil Enchanter. "Marry me to the princess!"
"Oh," said the priest. "That's different.”
1 likes