Plague War (Plague, #2)

Plague War (Plague Year #2)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Researcher Ruth Goldman has developed a vaccine with the potential to inoculate the world’s survivors against the nanotech plague that devastated humanity. But the fractured U.S. government will stop at nothing to keep it for themselves.
Published July 29th 2008 by Ace (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Plague War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plague War

The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthy1984 by George OrwellAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniWorld War Z by Max Brooks
Apocalypse: It's Over, Dude.
316th out of 347 books — 642 voters
Plague Year by Jeff  CarlsonPlague War by Jeff  CarlsonLong Eyes and Other Stories by Jeff  CarlsonPlague Zone (Plague, #3) by Jeff  Carlson
Books by Jeff Carlson
2nd out of 4 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick
The chips are down in this second of the series (new readers must read 'plague year' before starting this novel). Carlson's writing improved. His section capturing a survival march had a nice prose uplift, with elements that moved toward capturing 'transporting the reader' like the opening section of On the road..

Write on, Jeff Carlson. Write on.
Brad
Jul 23, 2010 Brad rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Second book in this uninteresting sci fit series. Sometimes my strategy of waiting for all the books in a series to come out before I read them backfires when the first book is so bad as I still feel the need to finish the series. Still a dull series.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Very disappointing! "Plague Year" was a gripping, pessimistic tale of true apocalyptic terror and survival - "Plague War" is bitty, often unfocussed and lacking in the power to keep one's attention.
Sschallerxx
Probably not quite as good as plague year, but it was still fairly fun to read.
Grampy
The author provided me a free copy of this book for the purpose of Beta-reading. This review was not a condition of our agreement; it is entirely my own idea to share with potential readers the fantastic story within the pages of this volume.

"Plague War" by Jeff Carlson is Book #2 of the "Plague" trilogy. This superbly crafted episode of the saga is best read after first reading "Plague Year", Book #1 of the series. Jeff's writing is so believable you will feel, at times, that you are reading th...more
Erika
David
Plague War is a solid middle episode of the Plague trilogy. It works for the same reason the first book worked - the constant uphill battle of survival keeps those pages turning.

Surviving the plague is not fun business, and at times, reading about it wasn't either. As the characters slowly wandered through the desolation, the monotony did set in a bit. Though big in imagination and scope, I credit Carlson for the realism of his situations. I suppose realism isn't always a key element of entertai...more
Tom Loock
More of the same, and just like the protagonists struggle through insect infested territory, I struggled through Plague War. Mind you: It's not a bad book and Jeff Carlson is not a bad writer, but unless something significant happens in the last book of this trilogy (which warrants stretching the story this thin), it would have been significantly better as a single novel. I won't be along for the ride, I'm afraid, because I read one book too many in this trilogy already. Sorry.
Andrew
Ok lets see if my review of this will take this time since i lost the last one.
this book feels more like a complete novel more than the first one - it certainly drew a good enough conclusion that i cannot see what will happen in the third and final book and so much so that i have regained my interest in reading them to find out what happens.
The book carries on more or less right after the ending of the first so the action is pretty linear however it does take a major redirection half way throug...more
Ksavard
Eh, more of the same. Some is pretty good, some just doesn't make sense. Can't decide if I want to track down the 3rd volume, or just let it go.
Adrian Jowitt
I was actually quite disappointed with this sequel (sorry Jeff)

There was too much wandering around avoiding bugs for me so I actually got quite bored. I would have liked more intrigue and detail around the fight for the technologies. In all fairness once you restrict yourself to 10,000 feet above sea level you are kind of fairly restricted. Also, I thought the nano was almost too devastating - I can't see how the planet ecology could recover from this.......therefore leading to the destruction o...more
Dirk
The sequel to Plague Year, which I read a little while ago. I liked this book too. This book starts pretty much right where the other left off. A small group of survivors on the ground in California trying to get a possible cure for the nanite plague to others while at the same time remnants of government forces are trying to get the possible cure for themselves in order to top dogs in the new world order.

And Russia and China invade California.

Quite a bit of action. Large masses of bugs and snak...more
Laura Sanders
I randomly picked this up from my library and did not read #1 first (for some reason this is the only book of the trilogy that my library has.) Even so, Carlson provided enough information that I understood the Plague.

It was slow going for me to get into the story, but about halfway I got hooked in. I found the Plague intriguing and really enjoyed the characters, especially Ruth.

(view spoiler)...more
Elaine
Not my genre and this was the second book of a trilogy, so it was not the best conditions to start with! But I read it because I hear Jeff talk at a Writers' Conference and wanted to see what all his buzz was about. I think his idea was very inventive, as was the alternate world he created. And I learned alot from his detailed visual descriptions. But if I had to walk one more mile in blasted wasteland with one of his characters I would have thrown the book across the room. I'm sure, however, sc...more
Terri
It has been a couple years since the machine plague hit and killed most of the world's population. Ruth has a vaccine and is trying to spread it to as many people as possible. Only politics and war are complicating things.

I had a slow time reading this book. I just never got really involved in the story though I am not exactly sure why. Partly because I didnt like Ruth I think. But I will say I REALLY disliked her "solution" to the war and I was kinda glad the book was over
Gendou
This was far more violent than it needed to be. People fighting other people, in other words, military fiction, isn't my favorite. But the use of nanotechnology in this book makes it worth reading. Also, the characters are much more compelling than in the first book. I think this has to do with their now relative scarcity (because, spoiler alert, lots of people died).
Dave
Excellent sequel to Plague Year. Follows the characters in their fight to survive and get the vaccine out there to the wider community. Very ambitious book and starts to deal with the wider scope of the global situation following the nanotechnology outbreak. Loved it, can't wait to read the third one now it's just been released on kindle under the Authors cut.
Amy
Mobi/Sci-Fi: This is the second book of the trilogy. While I really like the series, I feel that you need to read the first book to understand what is happening in this book. At the end, there was a lot of political maneuvering going on, that I honestly didn't understand the motivation. That said, it was a good second book to the series.
Nate
Even though I gave the same score to the first book, I liked this one better. They're both good reads and right up my alley--post-apocalyptic with some sci-fi mixed in. The author writes well and has enough colloquialism to make you chuckle.

I'm not sure if there's another one in the series coming soon. If so, I'll definitely read it.
Hannah
This sequel to Plague Year was not a disappointment. The action was even better than the first book. I was a little annoyed by the Cam/Ruth relationship. I liked hearing Hernandez's perspective. It would have been nice to have his narration and more about his role in the action towards the end of the book.
Kalei
Sequel to Plague Year - this one was very intense, just like the first. Nanotechnology is a fascinating subject, as is the possibility of a microscopic weapon that can kill anyone who breathes or swallows them.

This author did a great job with his protagonists - I would love it if he'd write a follow up.
Keith Bell
This series has a great premise but is almost too ambitious. Takes a while to get into the story and has just enough to make you want to read the book, but not enough to make it not-put-downable. I'll read the next in the series just to finish it but not going to go out there hunting for it today.
Doug
The best book of the series. It expands on the orignal book and takes the reader through a series of entirely plausible repercussions of the machine plague. Both a great fun read and powerful cautionary tale.
Rose
Jul 07, 2010 Rose rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rose by: Meghan
I tried. I have read the second book in this trilogy and won't be moving on. I simply don't care. It's more of the same as Plague Year. If you want to see a review of this book, just read the first one. Meh.
Rachael
Again, continued on with the story and it was good to have a place this story was going...now I can't wait to see what the outcome is!!!!
Brandi
Jun 18, 2009 Brandi added it
Have tried reading this 2 times. Maybe third time is the charm.

update: I think I read this, but now I can't remember...
LadyCroft86
Very good second book. It was intense and exciting. Can't wait to read the final book!
Wong Chu Feng
Very intense writing. No one gets better in SF than Jeff Carlson.
  • Survivors
  • The World Ends in Hickory Hollow
  • Long Voyage Back
  • Directive 51
  • Summer of the Apocalypse
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
  • Renewal
  • Dying to Live: Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • The Secret Apocalypse (Secret Apocalypse, #1)
  • Emergence
  • One
  • Story Time
  • Final Days
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • Down to a Sunless Sea
Jeff Carlson is the international bestselling author of "Plague Year," "Interrupt" and "The Frozen Sky." To date, his work has been translated into sixteen languages worldwide. His new novel is "Frozen Sky 2: Betrayed."

Readers can find free fiction, contests, videos and more on his web site at http://www.jverse.com
More about Jeff Carlson...
Plague Year (Plague, #1) The Frozen Sky: The Novel Plague Zone (Plague, #3) Interrupt Long Eyes and Other Stories