Start by marking “Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)” as Want to Read:
Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)

Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars #7)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,949 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
In the wake of the cataclysm many new alliances are forming even as old ones dissolve. As Sanglant struggles to legitimize his own leadership, the Aoi are carrying out random attacks-while implicating him as their leader. Stronghand has begun a march of conquest into the heart of Sanglant's realm. Adelheid and Antonia have made an unholy alliance. And Sabella and Duke Conr ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by DAW Hardcover (first published 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crown of Stars

Leseparatist
Feb 23, 2016 Leseparatist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2016
Looks like I made it! After many months of reading volume after volume, I'm done with this series.

By the end, it felt slightly bloated. I wish some storylines had been cut, and yet, oddly enough, the ending felt slightly rushed. Still, it was a fantastical journey, a true epic and an amazing series full of characters I loved, got annoyed by and hated. I almost threw the book across the room more than once (in a good way, mostly). I developed in-jokes with my SO about the book. I'll miss having
Mairice
Aug 16, 2012 Mairice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the complexity of this series. I cried knowing this was the last book. This series has allowed me to have my little escapes from the real world of being a medic in the military. I have followed this series for so long.
Cendri
Jun 04, 2008 Cendri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Slight spoiler alert for those who haven't finished Vol. 5**

This was a nice series. After Elliott brought the Aoi land "safely" back to its starting place, one of the major plot arcs drew to a close, and I wasn't sure how she was going to maintain a satisfactory urgency and mystery from that point on. While I don't think that this book has quite the excitement and interest that the first ones did (it gets a bit long-winded sometimes, and Elliott spends a lot of time on needless details, in my
Kristi-anne
Sep 09, 2015 Kristi-anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these a while ago and was one of best sets I read so far, so anticipating all the way through all 7 books omg such good set I wished they never end, one of those where you finish and think "NOW WHAT?! :("
AWESOME!
Kelly
Jul 06, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed this series and it's taken a while to get to book 7.

'King Henry's kingdom has been ravaged by internecine warfare, in a conflict that has been both long and bloody. The bitter in-fighting within King Henry's court and the ceaseless attrition of raiders has weakened his reign and saps his strength. Yet brute force alone will not be enough to stay the darkness that has been foretold as the shadow of the Cursed Ones has fallen. The spell holding the exiled from the land is failing fa
Amy
Sep 08, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best Fantasy series I have read in a long time. Better then the Wheel of Time, in that it did not get off track and she did not pad out the books to make them longer and make the series take longer. Good character development. Fascinating characters and storylines. The great combo of political intrigue, military strategy, and the supernatural that make the best fanatasy series, very much in the tradition of George R. R. Martin, but of a style all it's own. I highly reccomend ...more
Gilda Felt
Nov 19, 2015 Gilda Felt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the direction of this book to be wholly rewarding, in that each race has its own story as to how they finally come to terms with the rest. And I loved the decision they came to in order to find a kind of peace for all of them.

On the other hand, I would have preferred if Sanglant and Liath had had more time together. Especially during the ending chapters, it seems that their relationship had already done what it was supposed to have done. I think they deserved at least one more scene of t
Katherine
Feb 14, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy, last in the Crown of Stars series. The sweeping conclusion: though the world is riven and ravaged, the royal rivals continue fighting over the throne. The wave that has been building through the series crests and breaks in one last, great, bloody battle, after which we are given just enough hints to be sure that most of the protagonists lived happy lives. Conclusive, but rather hastily so considering the sheer bulk of the books that preceded it.
Sarah Jane
The Crown of Stars series is my first introduction into science fiction and fantasy novels. That's the only reason they would get such a high rating. As a young girl I related with the character Liath, especially her ability to escape to an attic in her mind where she hides all her pain. It taught me a valuable coping mechanism, and probably helped me in later years with meditation.
Amy Musser
Jul 21, 2016 Amy Musser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did it! I finished the series! I do feel a bit of accomplishment, and some relief. It's a complex series, so I didn't mix much other reading in with it, and it's time to get out of this world for a while.

Looking back, I think the series is complex and interesting. The world building is solid. The diversity of characters and inclusion of women is unparalleled... And for me that does translate to more enjoyment.

I think the ending wasn't totally predictable, which surprised me. And it was mostl
Melissa
Nov 23, 2008 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Uhhh, didja see how many stars I gave it??
I couldn't bring myself to endure enough of the crap in this one to finish it, and I pride myself on slogging through to the end of a series when I've started. So that should tell you just how mangled the story gets in this one. Wasn't even worth my time to finish it...
Rick
Mar 23, 2012 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished this series. and was a bit sad I'll miss the characters, though some i felt got off too lightly (hugh) . Around the middle of the series i struggled a bit but i had a bit of a break and came back and reaqlly enjoyed the last 2 books.
Jay
Feb 06, 2008 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a really an enjoyable end to the series. All of the loose ends were tied up and showed what happened to all of characters which I liked as I had grown close to them with each novel.
Dave
Mar 22, 2008 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
The final book. Everything kind of comes together, but the ending left me kind of...disappointed. Not really in a bad way. It seems life goes on, even for heroes.
Servius  Heiner
This, the final book of Crown of stars series. Well the series was good, but it took an odd turn about the halfway point, some well developed characters started acting not so well developed. The overall story was great but Kate Elliot has some serious flaws as a writer.
I don’t want to harp on her because I know the difficulties in writing. Transitions from one characters point of view to another’s was often murky, to the point where you had to read to the next paragraph to realize the person y
Dar B
Feb 26, 2011 Dar B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, good. I could not put it down until I read every word within every book of this series. The 6th book was, by far, the worst, and this last installment demonstrated a vast improvement. I especially enjoyed that some likable characters die and that some "villains" live. I don't like endings to be too soppy and "feel-good" and Ms. Elliott does pretty well with that. I really enjoyed her descriptives, except where the astronomy is elaborated on. I know that it is somewhat important to the s ...more
Jingizu
I loved this series, and thought the first 5 books were really well done, though I could have done without POVs like Ivar.

More Alain and Stronghand would have been great. Alain also became a kind Robin Hobb Fitz character, i.e. what ELSE could happen to the poor man? Also too much repetitive capturing of Liath, and the whole phoenix/religious plot-line became rather boring and far too extensive to me. She should have stuck with only three or four main characters and at times the story felt all o
Suzanne
Apr 17, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh...the only reason I kept reading these was because they were ridiculously long and I love the character of Alain. There were many interesting ideas and themes, but the author had a hard time tying everything together.
♥ Unaeve ♥
I managed to read the first 150 pages and then finally gave up.
I don't like the writing style,the author jumps from one theme to another with no bridges between so i found my self reading back ,thinking i missed something .
All is somehow unconnected and unwell explained,
maybe it's just because English isn't my primary language but i had no problems with other books...
And there is way to much about religion,that dragged on the story and made me wish to jump over passages as i was bored and start
BD
Nov 26, 2011 BD rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes but with a disclaimer
Long as this series was, there seems to be a book missing still. I'm not sure why the jump at the end of this book unless she was just tired of working on it.

I really like Liath, Sanglant & many other characters. I would liked to have seen more character development with fewer & briefer what I call theology discussions. Definely I learned a bit but I skimmed & skipped some of that in earlier books. Astrology & sorcery yes, religion no..although it was interesting to see shifting
Ringthebells
Jun 03, 2015 Ringthebells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a series that I started out a bit lukewarm on, but I liked it more and more as I went on, and by the end I was utterly in love with it.
Girl
Feb 05, 2016 Girl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Well, that was quite a ride, and I loved a vast majority of it.

(view spoiler)

(I might elaborate in close future.)
Michelle Sullivan
I'm Finally Finished! I dont normally give reviews, but this one, I think, calls for one. The story was written fabulously. I cant imagine the amount of research that went into this book. The world and religion were very well fleshed out. VERY DESCRIPTIVE. That being said, I didn't like any of the characters. It wasn't that they were not thought out well enough or that they were cookie cutter characters. They were just not likeable characters. They got better as the book went on, and I understan ...more
Shelby
Feb 06, 2009 Shelby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished this off over a years since I posted a review for the first book.

All in all, I adored this series. It really kept me busy and the story stayed interesting and believable throughout a 7 book series, which is excellent. My only complaint is that some of the main characters in the story were generally unlikable, Liathe and Blessing especially. Liathe probably doesn't deserve this dislike, but she was always a little too unaware of herself for my liking. Anyway, I would give a more detaile
Sarah Davis
Feb 13, 2016 Sarah Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
a most excellent ending to a great series.
Ben
Apr 10, 2013 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt this is a solid finish to a well-written fantasy series. I think this series could have been better if Elliot would have removed some of the character POV's such as Ivar and focused more on two or three characters. Also, there is some sloppy writing at times(end of book 5 comes to mind). Furthermore, Elliot hyper-feministic views are annoying at certain points in the books (whatever men can do, women can do better!)I think she's been watching too much Xena:Warrior Princess.
Alexis
Nov 06, 2014 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are long books, but really good. The lines become blurred between fantasy and real history.
Jerry
May 04, 2011 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fantastic series with many, many characters and subplots. The story revolves around three main characters: Alain, an adopted youth intended for the monastery. Liath, an orphan incapable of realizing her considerable magical powers and Sanglant, captain of the Dragons.

King's Dragon (#1)
In the Ruins (#6)
Crown of Stars (#7)

Josie
Feb 13, 2014 Josie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall? I liked the series. It reminds me of Guy Gavriel Kay's novels, except I didn't cry. I really liked Liath's journey, although it got kinda weird at times. I wish there was more about Alain and Stronghand together. Pretty good stuff, though I may have zipped past a lot of the religious and mathematici parts.
Deanne Robin
Jul 19, 2013 Deanne Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished the book and in the end I have to say I am very happy with how things turned out! It makes all the boring details u start to feel are being repeated actually worth it! I have to say I'm not usually this slow reading books.... Totally worth reading if you are into suspenseful wondering and multi point of view books! I Loved it!
Characters Discussion - most loved/hated 1 1 Feb 25, 2016 01:46AM
  • The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)
  • The List Unseen (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #4)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light and Shadow, #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • The Golden Key
  • Water Logic (Elemental Logic, #3)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Karavans (Karavans, #1)
  • Fires of the Faithful (Eliana's Song, #1)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3)
  • Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer, #1)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely
More about Kate Elliott...

Crown of Stars (7 books)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • In the Ruins (Crown of Stars, #6)