Start by marking “The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)

The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher #2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  2,963 ratings  ·  133 reviews
The church split has not extinguished their love, but the demands of one man still stand in their way. Caleb Yoder's father has forbidden him to court Nellie Mae Fisher, whose family belong to the New Order. Can the couple satisfy the expecations of the people while remaining true to their hearts?
Published May 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Forbidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forbidden

She Walks in Beauty by Siri MitchellThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonA Tailor-Made Bride by Karen WitemeyerCourting Morrow Little by Laura FrantzHead in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer
Best Christian Fiction Book Covers
363rd out of 708 books — 620 voters
Shanghai Girls by Lisa SeeSnow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa SeeEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertThe Forbidden by Beverly  LewisThe Typhoon Lover by Sujata Massey
Favorite Novels
4th out of 15 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina
As I said in my review of The Parting, the first book in The Courtship of Nellie Fisher series, I wasn't planning on continuing with this series because the main characters, Nellie and Caleb, are both completely selfish, and I was lead to believe that the story surrounding infertile Rosanna and her husband, Elias, was wrapped up. However, someone spilled the beans about what happens in The Forbidden, and I just had to read it to find out for myself.

Nellie and Caleb are still pretty selfish, alth...more
Deborah
Nellie Mae Fisher has the expectations of the People riding on her shoulders. Too much is at stake to falter with her choice. She wants to be with her New Order family, but will she be able to split her allegiance between them and her Old Order beau?

Caleb Yoder is torn between his love for Nellie Mae, and the promise his father made to him if he stays away from her. The conflict between what he knows is right and what he is starting to feel in his heart are two completely different things. He w...more
Kristin
"The Forbidden" is the second book in The Courtship of Nellie Fisher
series and I'm quickly becoming a Beverly Lewis fan. As you know, if
you're read my review of "The Parting", this is my first series that I have read by Lewis and it has been a joy.

"The Forbidden" continues to explore the romance between
Nellie and her beau, Caleb. His father has completely forbidden any
contact with the Fisher family due to their recent turn from the Old
Order Church and embracing salvation. Nellie is torn between...more
Brenda
Throughout this book you will want to cheer on Nellie and strangle Caleb. He takes too long on deciding what is more important to him, Nellie or his land he stands to inherit. In the end of this book, that is what breaks them up, his indecision and her wanting him to come to the new church and the new faith.
Also, Kate does the very thing us readers always feared she would and Rosanna makes a heart-breaking decision, one that will stun you and leave you wanting the very best for her and her husb...more
Leah
I think I enjoyed this one a little more than the first (at least in the beginning). The ending of this book stunk big time, but I hope that all gets resolved by the third one! I just wanted to strangle some of people who were so set in their own blind ways they would stoop so low to willingly and maliciously hurt people they love. Most of it was very touching and it even moved me to try and have a more personal relationship with God. I love that she puts so many varied characters and situations...more
Kristy
I enjoyed this book, but I thought it was a little slow. Despite the slowness of the book, I couldn't put it down. I was so anxious to find out was going to happen between Nellie and Caleb. I was also very intrigued by Rosannas' and Elias' story. I lkie how she jumps around from story to story. Although one storyline I didn't much care for, was Rhoda's. I didn't care for her much as a character, she annoyed me and just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess.
Linda
There was so much going on in this book, maybe a little too much for my taste. However, I still enjoyed the book and especially like how the author writes. She draws me right into the story and I feel as if I am one of the characters, living the story and not just reading about it!

This story is about Nellie (obviously from the title), who is now the youngest of the Fisher family (because her younger sister Suzy had accidentally died a few months before).

At this time, the church had split into 3...more
Victoria
3.5 stars, really.
This is the second book in the Nellie Fisher series. I really liked how it shows a struggle of what people go through, and in this case struggles with faith and hardships that the various characters encounter. The main portion of this book is about Nellie Fisher and her beau Caleb whom she desires to marry one day. Her family is deciding to follow the New Amish Order rather than the Old one that she and Caleb are set on, but she loves how her family has been acting and changin...more
Heather
THis book made me wonder what I would do if someone in my family changed to a different religion.
Kimberly
Book 2 in The Courtship of Nellie Fisher.
There are a lot of changes going on in the Fisher's lives and in their community. If you recall from the first book, several of the families had begun questioning their Old Order faith and started visiting another church. This book focuses on the ramifications those families are dealing with for accepting a new faith. The community is definitely split in more ways that one. Caleb is still forbidden from courting Nellie, but the pair finds ways to see one...more
joyce lynn
ok, i HATE my husband being gone overnite on business trips, but i must admit, there is ONE advantage to the sleepless nites it gives me ~ it then also gives me MANY uninterrupted hours to read! of course, i'll pay for it today by dragging, BUT ...

it was worth it!!!

i agree w/ some that this book MIGHT be dragged out a bit, BUT ...

i think it was a GOOD idea that it did. gave more time for the author to allow us into the hearts of the conflicted characters, and get to know them, and their struggl...more
Sandra
I loved the first book in this trilogy and was excited to scoop the last two books up on sale. In this second book, Nellie Mae and Caleb struggle to find a way to be together. His father has forbidden him to see her because her family has gone away from the Old ways. There was a surprise ending, which I enjoyed and left me wondering how it will wrap up in the third novel.

The subplots were interesting, too, to see the development of the tension between the two different sets of ideas and how that...more
Mayda
This second novel in the series continues the story of Nellie and her family and friends in the Amish community. There is a split in the church, with some seeking to follow God through reading the entire Bible in English while others adhere to the Old Order Amish ways. Each thinks the other is wrong, and the Bishop has given the people three months to decide which way to go. After that, any baptized members leaving the old ways will be shunned. But even without formal shunning, the community is...more
Rhayna Kramer
Yet again, Beverly Lewis has such insightful knowledge on what she writes. Her own morals disclose throughout all of her books and seem to have the ability to either assuage one from the philosophies he or she has always known, or to revise them, depending on where he or she is with consequence to things that are unseen in this world. The Forbidden was another story that aroused many feelings within me, with everything from hope, to sadness, to anger. Rosanna and Elias' story seemed more intrigu...more
Shiloh
Mar 05, 2014 Shiloh added it
Proof read this for my sister. I think Beverly Lewis is an amazing author with her style of writing, but I found this story unclear at parts.
A few parts in this book ~ I didn't appreciate.
Darlene Roy
The continuing story of Nellie Fisher and Caleb's courtship. Again I love all the side stories going on within the main story. Beverly Lewis does a great job. Recommend this as a good read.
Kami
Fun, quick read. Part 2 of 3. It left me hanging. I did not realize the books were new and part 3 in not available until September. I'd wait to read until all are available.

Comparing the Amish to myself, it is interesting to see how their religion figures into their everyday life. The community in the book is going through challenges which made me look at why I do some of the things I do that are for religion. The line between tradition and religious doctrine is sometimes very gray. Nelly Fishe...more
Chris
Jumps around just a bit too much. At times I struggled to remember who was who as things jumped from one paragraph to the next.
Julie
Sorrow continues in this second book of the series, but the healing has begun. beautifully written.
Abby
review soon..there is a topic that does need to be discussed :)
Mohammad Jalili
soft and delicate story
bad ending
AlixJamie
Joyce
Being a frequent visitor to Pennsylvania's Amish country, I was eager to read Beverly Lewis. I read this book not realizing that it was part 2 of a series. Perhaps if I had read book 1, I would have liked this more. There were many references to things that happened in book 1 that I didn't understand or appreciate, not having read book 1. That being said, this was an interesting peek into Amish life, although I became annoyed with the too-frequent use of phrases such as someone's "dear sweet fac...more
Amada Chavez
The Forbidden is an excellent sequel to The Parting. Delving deeper into the characters and revealing more about the Amish people; this book is a wonderful and sad. Leaving you with questions about the end and needing to jump right into the final book!

My song for this book would be: "How Can I Not Love You (Anna and The King) (Karaoke Lead Vocal Demo) [In the Style of Joy Enriquez]"

~ASC

John 3 (Read it, Believe it, and Be Saved!!!)
Sue
This is the second novel I've read by Lewis, and is the second in this series. This book is a quiet, calming trip to the countryside with an examination of personal faith in God. I think I liked it because it allowed me to slow down from my whirlwind pace while reading it. It advances the story of Nellie Mae and her betrothed, Caleb, and ends with some decisions made, but hopes for a change of fortune in the final book. Nice read.
Susan
Loved this books as well. This has been intriguing looking at the split between grace and works for our salvation. The Amish history of this has been amazing to me as well. Have started the final book in this series and can barely wait to see how Nellie's courtship ends. Also enjoyed seeing the ramifications of this Amish church split on the characters and families in the group. The wisdom of the Bishop was also insightful.
Brown
Caleb Yoder's father has forbidden him to court Nellie Mae Fisher, but words alone cannot stop Caleb's devotion. Yet if he continues to pursue Nellie, he risks losing everything.

Nellie, too, is torn. She longs to marry her Old Order beau but cannot ignore the gentle pull she feels toward the faith of her New Order family. Can she and her beloved satisfy the expectations of the People while remaining true to their hearts?
Catherine
Wow, I actually wasn't able to guess the ending on this one. I walk away from Beverly Lewis's books satisfied and wanting to be a better person. In this one, Nellie's world is turned upside down by the church split.Her fiance's father forbids their courtship and Nellie must choose between Caleb and her growing interest in her family's new found faith. It also follows the growing difficulties between Rosanna and Kate.
Sky Destrian
Like the first book of the series, The Parting, I enjoyed this book and it was hard to put down.

This book made me uncomfortable at some of the more romantic parts, although it wasn't too graphic or problematic. That was the only thing I noticed, and it didn't bother me too much. I think that it's meant for a bit more mature readers, though.

I'll sum up my other main thoughts in my review of The Longing.
Carol Friedman
It is the second book in the series by Beverly Lewis, "The Courtship of Nellie Fisher." It takes place in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania during the late 1960's when there was a big change in the Old Order Amish in Lancaster County. It is a totally different Amish romance that is an excellent read and I look forward to finishing the series. Just started reading the third book in the series "The Longing."
  • A Sister's Hope (Sisters of Holmes County, #3)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best...more
More about Beverly Lewis...
The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1) The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1) The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2) The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3) The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4)