Start by marking “Grand Opening: A Family Business Novel” as Want to Read:
Grand Opening: A Family Business Novel

Grand Opening: A Family Business Novel (The Family Business 0)

Before there was the family, there was just the business.

From the minds of New York Times bestselling authors Carl Weber and Eric Pete comes the game-changing prequel to their blockbuster Family Business saga. Travel back to a small Southern town where, before there was Duncan Motors, there were the Duncan brothers: Louis, aka Sweet Lou, a lover of ladies and life . . . a
Published August 25th 2015 by Urban Books (first published June 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Grand Opening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grand Opening

Winter Sophia Rose
Dec 25, 2015 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Twists, Turns, Engrossing & Funny! An Excellent, Hard To Put Down Read! I Loved It!
Deedee Henson
Aug 29, 2015 Deedee Henson rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Michelle
Feb 23, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
I have to give this book 5 stars. It was very good. Full of action, twist and turns. I couldn't put it down!!! But I have to say I really wish this series would wrap up soon. I like reading about the Duncan's but I love Carl Weber and want to read something else besides the Duncan's.
Kim
Sep 12, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Didn't disappoint. Nice to see how the Duncan's & Chippy started out.....and of course Donna
Monique
Back on my reading game after making some power moves and regrouping before the end of the year (yes hardwork does pay off and yup I made a big professional move LOL) and didn’t have the reading material to keep my nervous energy at bay and so wasn’t reading as much which is so not like me I usually use books to unwind and get refocused but this didn't do it for me doggone.I was hyped to see another entry in the series at the library as it was just released this year and I really tried to get ...more
DeTerrius Woods
Sep 24, 2015 DeTerrius Woods rated it it was amazing
A Wonderful Prequel (4.5 stars)

Carl Weber and Eric Pete has done it again with this prequel that all "Family Business" lovers will adore. It's not as fast-paced as the previous novels, but it's steady. I would have never guessed Chippy was in the profession that she was in, but she was the best at it. This novel has made me adore Chippy and LC. At first, I didn't really care for them because the authors didn't focus on them really, but now that I know their back story, I love them. Donna is a B-
Sandra Atueyi
May 03, 2016 Sandra Atueyi rated it it was amazing
The Grand Opening is a great. Carl Weber and Eric Pete did a good job. In the beginning of this book was slow pace. I decided to go back to read this book because how did LC and Chippy met.

I understand that why did LC and Chippy name their kids except Junior after city or state. I'm looking forward to read part 2.

Good job!
Sandra
Tim
Nov 17, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
This novel could have used a bit more strength in the women characters, with a lot less ruthlessness towards them as well. Bottom line is less brutality for the good and more for the bad makes this better. 8 of 10 stars
Terry
Sep 26, 2015 Terry rated it really liked it
My, my, my...this was a GOOD read!! If I did not work, I could have read this in one sitting. It held my interest from the very beginning, a page turner for me. I hope I started with the right book first and can't wait to get to the next!
Arzella
Nov 09, 2015 Arzella rated it it was amazing
I wished I read this with a book club. I really needed to call someone to discuss this with. Weber does it again. This installment answered so many questions, while making me ask so many more. Awesome!!
Brandy
Sep 05, 2015 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carl Weber is a literary genius! Each books gets better and better. Grand Opening is the back story of the Duncan family and how the family business started. It shed a lot of light and gave me anew appreciation for Chippy. This is definitely a must read! Bravo to Carl Weber!!
Stacey Price
Nov 08, 2015 Stacey Price rated it really liked it
I think this was a good book I just wish that this book would have been written before the others and not at the end of the series.
Jay Williams
Sep 13, 2015 Jay Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Classic!! The best one so far. It's good to see how some of the characters met and what they went through. I can't wait for the next one. This really should be a tv show or movie.
Yolanda Knight
Sep 03, 2015 Yolanda Knight rated it it was amazing
Another Banging book by Carl Weber
Ashley
Sep 15, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
This book was great, Carl Weber always delivers.
reneeNaDaBomb
Apr 25, 2016 reneeNaDaBomb rated it it was amazing
The back story on the Duncan boys was priceless. Hot headed Larry, sex-crazed Lou and the loveable Levi, along with brainy Lavernius, living in the back woods of Waycross, GA. Hilarious! Ms. Chippy/Charlotte was a lady of the night... Her character had a strong mind and incredible moxy. What I did not expect was that ending for LC. But, we all know more than a few folks that live by the motto FAMILY LOVE rules.
BEAUTIFUL MEEKA
Feb 22, 2016 BEAUTIFUL MEEKA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every strong man needs a strong woman

Carl Weber did his thing once again. I love Chippy and listening to this book for the first-time with audible was also very nice. I can't wait to see this on the big screen. Because this series is Absolutely amazing.
Kimberly
Dec 03, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Alright this is my second "urban" read. Not only could I not put it down, but I had to fight off other from trying to take it from be before I could finish!! (we share books in the office) Thus far I am a Carl Weber fan. I read a different book and the language was so rough and the plot to thick that i was worried this would be like it.

Character development was FANTASTIC!! in this book I found myself talking out loud to the characters in the book, telling certain ones to run and hide and trying
Jazzmyn Kennedy
Nov 07, 2016 Jazzmyn Kennedy rated it it was ok
Have to admit that this isn't my favorite family story or carl weber for that matter. I would have never thought of Chippy as the person shown in this story...made it harder to really get into the story like i have with the others because it didn't seem as believable for me
Missghana77
Oct 28, 2016 Missghana77 rated it it was amazing
really how they meet. Very nice
Lynelle
Nov 24, 2015 Lynelle rated it liked it
Great for a street novel. Definitely page-turning.

Discussion questions:
Did you feel like you were in the '70s as you read the book?
No. A few clues pointed to the fact that it was the '70s such as the description of the cars and the mention of the president. There was one outfit description that could've said 1970, but it could've also said 1990!

What do you think about Levi's dogs?
Scary, useful and lucrative.

Do you remember Donna from Family Business 3?
No. This is the first Family Business no
Monique
Nov 21, 2015 Monique rated it really liked it
Carl Weber and Eric Pete are the men! We get to see how the Duncan Dynasty began. LC Duncan impresses me more and more. I especially liked getting to know his brothers. Big Shirley and NeNe were good additions to the family. I feel like I need to read Family Business 3 again. Now Donna, I absolutely couldn't stand! I wanted to slap that heifer good.

Chippy and LC are made for each other. I was truly surprised to find out how her story began and how she came to be in LC's life. I hated Big Sam an
Yolanda Wallington
May 24, 2016 Yolanda Wallington rated it liked it
This book was just okay. I would characterize it as a mindless read. It was very entertaining. I give it three stars because I was not invested in ANY of the characters; The characters were not explored enough to make you care enough to keep reading. I simply finished this book because I always finish books that I start. There was the potential to make this such a better book. I've identified with whores before (In Sugar by McFadden) so having dissimilar background, interest, occupation is not ...more
Jasmine
Nov 09, 2015 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Pretty interesting. As always, I had to flip back to the previous book to answer some questions.

Anyways, this book gives you background on the Duncan family, as well as how Chippy and LC met and fell in love.

I had no idea she had such a hard upbringing and I also didn't know LC had two other brothers, Larry & Levi. Now I'm tempted to go back and see if they were mentioned in the other series.

As usual, Mr. Carl Weber knows how to weave a good story to keep you interested. I actually finished
Angela
May 26, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I was going to give it 4 stars, but why? I thought about some possible improvements, but could not think of any. Therefore it deserves a 5. The characters practically jumped off the page for me...it's like I had known each and every one of them personally.
This typically isn't my type of book but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Action, deception, lost-love...it's all in here. The one thing that threw me off...this novel took place in the 70s? I'm sure the author provided detail
Lashawnda
Sep 07, 2016 Lashawnda rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Family Business Novel series.
Joyce Freeman
Sep 04, 2015 Joyce Freeman rated it it was amazing
Carl Weber is one of my favorite authors. I love the way he puts so much authenticity into each book. he put a lot of time and to making sure we understood where the main characters originally came from who they were in the beginning, and what the characters were. in this book LC was a young man and somehow managed to still be the head of the family. as always I love Carl Weber and his depiction of this family.
Diane Rembert
Sep 23, 2015 Diane Rembert rated it really liked it
This book started out a little slow, but when it picked up, I felt like I was on the Express train in Paris…it was just that good!! The Duncan brothers came from humble beginnings but though blood, swear and tears, became the family to look it for. And wet know that behind every strong man, is a good woman! In this family, these weekends are NeeNee, Chippy, and Big Shirley. I can't wait to catch up on this series in the next installment! ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Misse Jones
Jan 26, 2016 Misse Jones rated it really liked it
Janet Hicks
Jan 11, 2016 Janet Hicks rated it really liked it
I love the Family Business series ...this novel gives a lot of insight to the characters from the others . But why not write this one first ? seems like it's flowing backwards . Good. read. the Duncan family is strong and loyal to each other that was something that was taught to them when their mother stood up for their father which got her life in prison . LC is my favorite brother. he's smart and loyal to all he care about ,I'm glad he followed his heart and not marry the wrong wonen .
  • The Banks Sisters
  • I Ain't Me No More (Always Diva, #1)
  • Mama's Boy
  • Family of Lies
  • Full Figured 6
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • Who Ya Wit': The Finale
  • If You Don't Know Me (If I Can't Have You, #3)
  • Pecking Order
  • Deception
  • Amos
  • You Know Better: A Novel
  • Revelations (Animal #3)
  • Rosie's Curl And Weave
  • The Ex-Wife
  • Fortune & Fame: A Novel
  • The Accidental Diva
  • Full Figured 7
Carl Weber is a New York Times and #1 Essence bestselling novelist.

In addition to his writing, Weber is the founder and publisher of Urban Books and in 2005, he was named Blackboard's Publisher of the Year. He is the owner of the Urban Knowledge chain of book stores and a past recipient of Blackboard's Bookseller of the Year award.

Weber graduated from Virginia State University and holds an MBA in
More about Carl Weber...

The Family Business (4 books)
  • The Family Business