Start by marking “Scotland: A Concise History” as Want to Read:
Scotland: A Concise History

Scotland: A Concise History

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  25 reviews
It is a complex one too, but Sir Fitzroy Maclean disentangles the threads and enlivens his brisk account with both wit and scholarship. Pictures from authentic contemporary sources illuminate his story--its romantic figures and bloody battles, its politics and religion--and provide a rich visual record of Scotland's art, craftsmanship, and intellectual life. For this revis ...more
Paperback, Revised, 256 pages
Published March 17th 2001 by Thames & Hudson (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Scotland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scotland

Bryce
Planning a trip to Scotland, I thought I read a "concise" history of Scotland. While this book was informative and full of interesting diagrams, maps, art and photos of Scotland, its focus in on the Scottish Kings from the 11th to the 18th centuries. The book is a bit choppy since it covers seven centuries of turbulent history in less than about 180 pages. Without the monarchal pedigree at the beginning of the book and a map of Scotland at the time, it would have been near impossible to keep all ...more
Bruce
Jun 16, 2011 Bruce added it
This book was revised in 2000, and so it is fairly recent in its coverage. A well presented and crafted volume, it is an overview of Scottish history from its known beginnings. There are helpful illustrations. The presentation is strictly chronologic rather than topical, and the text is clear and succinct. The author is a clear Scottish partisan, and some of his characterizations, especially of English royalty, seem to have no pretence of being objective or of presenting alternative views. The f ...more
Matt Kelland
A concise history of the government and battles of Scotland. Dryly presented, with less information than Wikipedia. It covers up to 1100AD in under 15 pages, half of which are pictures. The new section is a recitation of who was appointed to which posts in the new Parliament. Nothing about the social or cultural aspects, nothing about anyone except royalty & nobility, it's just a list of power struggles. Read some Nigel Tranter. You'll learn more and have more fun.
Miriam
"Clans of Scotland" (disc 3: MacLean Clan) is a must-see to see a picture of and understand the background of this author.

Great pedigree chart of the Stuarts from Duncan I to Charles Edward and Henry.

If you wonder about Mr. McLean's leanings this will give you a clue: "[The Duke of Cumberland] carried out [the battle of Culloden] with characteristically Teutonic thoroughness and gusto." p. 181
Boris
I thought it would help inform my reading of Walter Scott. It does that admirably. I can now look up the Covenanters and the like.

It's a bit on the light / popular side, with plenty of illustrations.
Eva
Not as interesting as Robert the Bruce. A little dry, but that is to be expected from a factual history book. Great for research.
Rob Mawer
A good run through and time line of events in Scotland. Goes very well with a touring holiday of the country and helps fill in a few of the historical gaps you may come across whilst visiting the country. Although I'm sure there are more detailed books on specific events, this is a great overall history of Scotland and a very comfortable read. I recommend this book to anyone with even a fleeting interest in Scottish history and it's very well written to boot.
Ralph
Never realized the complex comings and goings, back and forth battles, allegiances, and barbarity of the Scotland/England history. The final few pages discuss the feelings towards "home rule" up until the late 1960s. The recent vote that kept Scotland as a subservient part of England adds a next step in the long history of these two.
John
I own an original 1970 hardcover edition of this work that I got as a discard from the local public library. This isn't the greatest work on Scottish history. The book does, however, have over 200 illustrations on glossy paper. I would recommend this work for children or young adults as an introduction to Scotland and its history.
Virginia Albanese
Preparation for a trip to Scotland. Could have been even more concise: from it's earliest inhabitants until mid 1700s everyone was fighting everyone else with changing allegiances every few years with brutal beheading, torture and burnings.
Dixie Lee
Phew, a lot of history, but a good book. Now I think I understand a little more about Scottish history.
Melissa Bond
I have read quit a bit about Scotland for ancestral research, and this book has to be the most thorough for a crash course in Scottish history. Quite impressive is the examination of origins making up Scotland today, especially the importance Norway played in the fusion of their culture into Scottish bloodlines.
Reggie
As the title says, this is a "Concise History". If you're looking for a broad overview of the history of Scotland, this is the book for you. I would recommend this as a good book to carry with you for reference if you visit Scotland.
Corey
Exactly what it says- a great outline of Scotland's history. An comfortable read with pictures of paintings and artifacts, time lines, etc. Interesting comments and notes of cause and effect. A good basic history.
Amy Jarecki
I'm a novelist and this gives me just enough information so that I can target deeper research in specific eras. Definitely a well used book on my shelf.
Randy
Some criticism of this book was given because of the emphasis on Scottish-Irish connections. In my opinion, that is what makes it all the more worthwhile.
Chris
Excellent primer in Scottish history. Well written and informative, this book does not ever get bogged down or boring. Highly recommended.
aldo zirsov
We are the highlanders...
The Immortals from Scots...
We declare war against dragons a.k.a naga...
We are the dragon/naga slayer...
Captmashpea
Dec 27, 2011 Captmashpea marked it as to-read
It is for school and the beginning is a little confusing to see what they want to speak about but I am excited to read it
Debs
Like the title suggests, a concise history of Scotland; perfect preparation for my overseas trip in 2004.
William J. Shep
A great introductory work to the passion and intrigue of the panaply of Scottish history.
Gena
Pretty straightforward, traditional job. Useful as I head off to Scotland this week.
Josh
Good, short, but well-written overview of Scottish history. The title says it all.
Bill
An ethnocentric diversion in my reading.
Steve Swanson
It's a history book
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Carol
Carol is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2015
Annette Gendler
Annette Gendler marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Nicole
Nicole added it
Aug 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Lockerbie bombing 1 1 Dec 29, 2013 10:20AM
  • Before Scotland: The Story of Scotland Before History
  • Scotland: The Autobiography 2,000 Years of Scottish History By Those Who Saw It Happen
  • Carmina Gadelica: Hymns and Incantations from the Gaelic
  • Robert the Bruce: King of Scots
  • The Celts: A History
  • Scotland
  • The History of Medieval Europe
  • The Celts (Penguin History)
  • In Search of the Dark Ages
  • The Scottish Nation: A History, 1700-2000
  • The Ancient Celts
  • The Gods of the Celts
  • The Creation of Feminist Consciousness: From the Middle Ages to Eighteen-Seventy
  • The Druids: Celtic Priests of Nature
Major General Fitzroy Hew Royle Maclean, Bt, KT, CBE.

Graduate of Eton and subsequently King's College, University of Cambridge.

Veteran of WWII. In 1941, he chose to enlist as a private in the Cameron Highlanders, but was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant the same year. He was one of the earliest members of the elite SAS. By the end of the war, had risen to the rank of Brigadier.

Member of Parliament (M
More about Fitzroy MacLean...
Eastern Approaches Highlanders: A History of the Scottish Clans A Person from England & Other Travellers to Turkestan (Century Travellers) Bonnie Prince Charlie Josip Broz Tito: A Pictorial Biography